The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
What's her GOAL for these people? Any word or article on that?
I have no idea and probably the people she is supposed to be helping don't know either!

Sarah 'Fergie' Ferguson fright as gun blast hits project - mirror.co.uk

Quote:
wanted to help "broken Britain" because there were too many young people with knives.
Oh please ......

Old 08-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Courtier

It seems that someone doesn´t want Sarah Ferguson´s help/interference.

I wish she would take up a cause that the people being helped can appreciate, perhaps she could include "too many young people with guns" with the "too many young people with knives".
Well there is one benefit out of all this, it makes Sarah feel good about herself.
It reminds me of someone I knew who was always telling people what a good person she was "I give to the poor, you know"..

Old 08-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Administrator

I haven't watched the show....but unless Sarah is writing on this board....I find it highly speculative for us to "guess" her motives.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Aristocracy

If one is to guess then wouldn't it be the honourable thing to assume her motives are based on altruism and kindness....
Old 08-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukroyalist View Post
If one is to guess then wouldn't it be the honourable thing to assume her motives are based on altruism and kindness....
Are you suggesting she has completely changed her character? Every programme Sarah has been involved in seems to have been for the benefit of Sarah. There are so many charities/people better placed and with a REAL understanding to tackle problem estates than Sarah Ferguson. If her help was altruistic, (Unselfish concern for the welfare of others), then surely she would have helped quietly, not with her silly disguise (you don't need it dear, most don't know who you are) and a camera crew attached!

As it is, she comes across as using the less fortunate for her own ends.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Aristocracy

Skydragon, I think I'm falling in love with you and your cynicism...
Old 08-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukroyalist View Post
Skydragon, I think I'm falling in love with you and your cynicism...
I can be such a breath of fresh air, can't it?

I've been involved with the Jaycees (Junior Chamber) and JCI (Junior Chamber International) and the main goal is to teach leadership through community service projects, etc.
Now for Sarah to have a GOAL with an area like that is key. Did she want to find jobs for everybody? Did she want to help launch businesses? Help the school? Care for the sick? A clear, and concise CPG (Chairman's Planning Guide) would go a long way for Sarah to help realize goals and affect change with the people in that area. And it would help teach them to empower themselves and affect change.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
I'm not sure one can pretend to see clear behind someone's action, especially when trying to find motives (unless you are from Minority Report?!). Making publicity for a charity is a lot better than posing for a fragrance or whatever. At least, it brings attention to an important cause. Not sure people care if it also gives her some publicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Are you suggesting she has completely changed her character? Every programme Sarah has been involved in seems to have been for the benefit of Sarah. There are so many charities/people better placed and with a REAL understanding to tackle problem estates than Sarah Ferguson. If her help was altruistic, (Unselfish concern for the welfare of others), then surely she would have helped quietly, not with her silly disguise (you don't need it dear, most don't know who you are) and a camera crew attached!

As it is, she comes across as using the less fortunate for her own ends.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 08-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
What's her GOAL for these people? Any word or article on that?
These quotes are from the Manchester Evening News:
The Duchess on the estate - Showbiz - News - Manchester Evening News

Quote:
Inspiration comes from a visit to Julie Bascombe, a Blackpool resident who turned her community around by setting up a youth centre called Dreamscheme.

Bringing together the mothers of Northern Moor, the Duchess helps transform a council owned building on Sale Road into a community centre.
That's Sarah's goal...to build a sense of community in crime-ridden neighbourhoods. She wants to build a community centre because a youth centre in Blackpool is credited with improving the quality of life there. The quotes below explain what Sarah is doing to achieve her goal:

Quote:
"I inspire people to get on and do things by rallying the troops. I’m an enabler. What saved people after the Blitz was a cup of tea and a biscuit. It was the community centres and village halls where you could go and talk and someone would listen to you.

“If we communicated more, there would be fewer problems. So I want to set up community centres to bridge the gap between young and old, and Northern Moor housing estate was my blueprint.”
Sarah knows she will be accused of being the privileged ex-royal who puts on a show of helping disadvantaged people for the sake of her public image. She responds to that type of criticism below:

Quote:
Asked if she was concerned that she would be accused of being patronising, the Duchess told the magazine: “Of course. I’m accused of everything right, left and centre. Patronising would be sitting in London, telling Dawn what to do. The bottom line is that if Dawn says she needs £40,000 for the centre, I go and raise it. That’s my job.”
Old 08-14-2009, 01:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well, she's right about that. If she didn't do anything, she'd be accused of being a selfish socialite. If she tries to do something, she's accused of doing it wrong, having the wrong motives, not really meaning it, not understanding the issues, or whatever.

People who don't like a particular royal (or ex-royal) can always level those accusations. For some people, nothing Sarah does, short of dropping dead, will ever be worthy of a positive comment.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Well, she's right about that. If she didn't do anything, she'd be accused of being a selfish socialite. If she tries to do something, she's accused of doing it wrong, having the wrong motives, not really meaning it, not understanding the issues, or whatever.

People who don't like a particular royal (or ex-royal) can always level those accusations. For some people, nothing Sarah does, short of dropping dead, will ever be worthy of a positive comment.

This is so right, unfortunately.

I am not fan of Sarah's but she does seem to want to do good and help others but maybe her methods aren't quite right. I do think her heart is in the right place however.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
I'm not sure one can pretend to see clear behind someone's action, especially when trying to find motives (unless you are from Minority Report?!). Making publicity for a charity is a lot better than posing for a fragrance or whatever. At least, it brings attention to an important cause. Not sure people care if it also gives her some publicity.
She is not raising money for a known charity and there are many that aim to help youngsters that could have done with the help. She seems, from the variety of articles published, more concerned about walking around an estate with a bad reputation and being seen as THE one to bring about changes. The problem with that is the knife/gun wielding youths will not be interested in a rich bitch or a 'reformed' criminals attempts to make them change their ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
And that is the sort of comment leveled at those who perhaps have a more realistic view, it is always so easy to say it is because Sarah may not be liked by a poster that her efforts to help are viewed in a poor light or could it be that in reality they are a poor idea!

For the record, I would not celebrate anyones death but my view of the person would not go into rose coloured mode either!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
And that is the sort of comment leveled at those who perhaps have a more realistic view, it is always so easy to say it is because Sarah may not be liked by a poster that her efforts to help are viewed in a poor light or could it be that in reality they are a poor idea!
I agree that the easiest way to defend Sarah is to say that the people who criticize her don´t like her etc etc.
She may have a good heart but number one on her agenda as far as I have seen in her whole career as a royal duchess has been to further her own interests.
Perhaps her heart is good underneath, but she lacks common sense.
She puts her foot in it most of the time and if she thinks playing lady bountiful among the masses is going to make her popular I think she is wrong. Many society ladies have tried this and fallen flat on their faces.
She should join some well known organization if her real goal is just to make things better for the poor, if she really knows what "poor" is.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
She is not raising money for a known charity and there are many that aim to help youngsters that could have done with the help. She seems, from the variety of articles published, more concerned about walking around an estate with a bad reputation and being seen as THE one to bring about changes. The problem with that is the knife/gun wielding youths will not be interested in a rich bitch or a 'reformed' criminals attempts to make them change their ways.
If people aren't happy about how she handles this, then maybe they should propose other solutions to deal with this problem. Sarah is at least doing something for them instead of looking for it to happen. It's always very easy to criticize when you sit and let it be but when it's time to take action, rare are those who dare.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 08-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
If people aren't happy about how she handles this, then maybe they should propose other solutions to deal with this problem. Sarah is at least doing something for them instead of looking for it to happen. It's always very easy to criticize when you sit and let it be but when it's time to take action, rare are those who dare.
I notice that in posts above solutions were proposed, one being she should join an association which is already helping the poor in practical ways and not trying to think up schemes herself, people with more knowledge of these subjects have already set up many a charity that is actually working and producing practical results. As these people are not the ex-wives of royalty perhaps the photographers are not there to record these good deeds but they are being done you can be sure of that.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Serene Highness

I think that by making a TV show about this community rather than just joining an established organization and working behind the scenes (which is wonderful too, and I know and admire people who do this), Sarah raises more awareness about the issues than if she just volunteered privately. I'm not saying either way is right or wrong but that both can be good and useful. People living in Britain might laugh at this, but I honestly know a lot more about daily life (and problems!) in Britain from following the royal family, than I otherwise would. You hear about which charities they work for, which communities they've visited...

And that's just as someone who looks for information about the royal family. When Sarah makes a TV show, even those who don't usually read about the royals might watch just because of her name/past status. As an ex-royal, Sarah brings visibility to issues that others might not be able to. I don't really see anything wrong with that...it's just her way of addressing issues. I'm sure that she often goes in with her heart before her head, but at least she has compassion for some of the disadvantaged people in the world and is trying to help.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
There are many people who help without the headlines, they get off of their behinds, go and do. For Sarahs 4 more minutes of fame, there are hundreds of unsung, hardworking heroes, who do not seek constant praise. For all the work they do, the credit is taken by a 4 minute wonder, who even remembers who started the first AIDS charities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
People living in Britain might laugh at this, but I honestly know a lot more about daily life (and problems!) in Britain from following the royal family, than I otherwise would. You hear about which charities they work for, which communities they've visited...
The fact that you think you know about Britain and the British by watching the royals, is quite frankly scary.
Quote:
And that's just as someone who looks for information about the royal family. When Sarah makes a TV show, even those who don't usually read about the royals might watch just because of her name/past status.
A great many people, IMO, have very little idea who Sarah Ferguson is and a great many who do know, exercise their finger by changing channel.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Serene Highness

How about the tabloids?Are they calling her names?Stereotypes about people like her are so common,I guess.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The fact that you think you know about Britain and the British by watching the royals, is quite frankly scary.A great many people, IMO, have very little idea who Sarah Ferguson is and a great many who do know, exercise their finger by changing channel.
OK, I should have clarified. No, I haven't learned about Britain "just" by watching the royals, but when you click on links to articles in the Daily Mail, the Telegraph, etc., you read comments posted by people living in Britain and see links to other stories about Britain. You get a "feel" for how people think and behave there, even if it's just a selection of them and a biased media reporting. Even from reading people's opinions at this forum I get a sense of what monarchists in Britain believe. Sometimes I think you believe you speak for the "average" British person, and I'm sure you are very well-qualified to speak about your own country and the people there. But I've also found many opinions in other places where royalty is discussed that differ from yours. And that's what I've found interesting in reading this forum and the news articles posted here--getting a sense of the different perspectives that exist in England/Great Britain.

I might read a story about Prince Harry visiting some of his comrades who were wounded in Afghanistan, for example, and from the article and the comments I get a feel for the attitudes British people have towards the war. Royalty attracts interest especially in those who don't have a royal family on their home turf. I would have no clue that there was such a place called Wythenshawe or that those kind of conditions existed there if Sarah's name hadn't attracted my interest.

And TV programmes don't air unless the producers think there's an audience for them. Clearly, not everyone in Britain is changing the channel the minute they see Sarah on their screens, otherwise the producers of her first "reality show" last summer wouldn't have said, "We had favourable reaction and are going to do another program."
Old 08-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Royal Highness

I just watched that whole, Duchess for a Day segment and while I applaud the idea behind it (honoring someone for their work or accomplishments) I have to say, in my own opinion, that the format actually cheapens the honor. That whole cartoony "Duchess for a Day" intro with the crown and sceptor and royal music--is just horrible. It was horrible. Truly. Talk about self-exploitation--it was embarassing to watch.
The lady they honored, though, is amazing and I have nothing but respect for her.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Closed Thread