The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Rolf's Queen portrait on display

Rolf Harris has admitted the prospect of painting an official portrait of the Queen made him shake with nerves. The 76-year-old artist said he felt as if he was "on the starting blocks at the Olympics, waiting for the gun to go off" as he prepared to paint the Queen.

This is a much better looking portrait than that last one I saw where the Queen looked so old and crabby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
And she's been getting her Christmas puddings from Tesco. Mind you, if Mohamed Al Fayed hadn't been the owner of Harrods, Tesco might not have received the royal Christmas pudding order.

What does that mean? Does he own both Harrods & Tesco? Just trying to understand your comment, Elspeth.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

No, he just owns Harrods. The Queen used to get her puddings from Harrods, apparently, but when Mohamed Fayed started accusing Prince Philip of having had Diana murdered, the members of the royal family let it be known that their royal warrants for Harrods wouldn't be renewed when they expired (so he took all the "by appointment" badges off the front of the building immediately - the Queen's, the Queen Mother's, Prince Philip's, and Prince Charles's) and she stopped buying stuff there. Next thing we heard, her Christmas puddings were being ordered from Tesco. I assume that if Fayed hadn't had his little run-in with the royal family over Diana, the Queen would still be shopping at Harrods.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
No, he just owns Harrods. The Queen used to get her puddings from Harrods, apparently, but when Mohamed Fayed started accusing Prince Philip of having had Diana murdered, the members of the royal family let it be known that their royal warrants for Harrods wouldn't be renewed when they expired (so he took all the "by appointment" badges off the front of the building immediately - the Queen's, the Queen Mother's, Prince Philip's, and Prince Charles's) and she stopped buying stuff there. Next thing we heard, her Christmas puddings were being ordered from Tesco. I assume that if Fayed hadn't had his little run-in with the royal family over Diana, the Queen would still be shopping at Harrods.

Thanks for your answer, Elspeth. Now it makes sense to me.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Pics 25.11.2006

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II is caught in a rain storm at Helmingham, Suffolk, UK on November 25, 2006. Photos by Nunn Syndication/ABACAUSA

Queen

Prince Philipp with orange glasses
Old 11-27-2006, 03:37 PM

On the pudding issue, it's interesting to note that this last Sunday was Stir-Up Sunday, the day that we traditionally make Christmas puddings. At the Palace, they make puddings for every member of staff which the Queen presents to them. She goes down to the kitchens and makes a wish as she stirs the mix, as is the tradition. I find that very sweet.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II is caught in a rain storm at Helmingham, Suffolk, UK on November 25, 2006. Photos by Nunn Syndication/ABACAUSA

Queen

Prince Philipp with orange glasses
the queen does not look amused!
Old 11-29-2006, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise27
the queen does not look amused!
Well, that's no surprise with that bad weather

Queen Elizabeth II attends a reception at St James's Palace to mark the 350th Anniversary of the re-establishment of the Jewish community in London, England- 28.11.06:

Queen 1 Queen smiling Queen 3
Old 11-29-2006, 05:29 AM
Heir Apparent

More pictues from the reception at St James Palace to mark the 350th anniversary of the re-establishment of the Jewish community in Britain Tuesday Nov. 28, 2006the 35

Pictures:
Queen Elizabeth receives a Hanaukah candlestick from Chief Rabbi Jonathan
Queen Elizabeth

All pictures from getty here.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 11-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Arise Sir Stelios: EasyGroup entrepreneur receives knighthood

The entrepreneur who founded budget airline easyJet has collected a knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061129...s_061129130850

Royal toilet spat makes aide quit

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?f...4806005290B243

Old 11-30-2006, 01:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Royal toilet spat? Honestly, you couldn't make it up, could you?
Old 11-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Philip on top form

BRITAIN'S Queen Elizabeth II toured an exclusive Scottish gentleman's club in London on Scotland's national day today - but her husband Prince Philip stole the show with some wisecracks.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...rom=public_rss
Old 11-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Pics 30.11.2006

Queen Elizabeth II meets staff at the Caledonian Club during a visit to open the club's new wing on November 30, 2006 in London, England. (Photos by POOL/Tim Graham Picture Library/Getty Images)

Queen 1 Phillip
Queen 2
Old 11-30-2006, 03:38 PM
Aristocracy

Say what they will about Stavros you gotta love his wit! His quips just crack me up!
Old 11-30-2006, 03:51 PM

Stavros?? Who's Stavros?
Old 11-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Aristocracy

I read in Sarah Bradford's book on Diana that she used to jokingly call Prince Phillip "Stavros". I found it rather amusing!
Old 11-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_rankin
I read in Sarah Bradford's book on Diana that she used to jokingly call Prince Phillip "Stavros". I found it rather amusing!
She meant it as a put-down, though. I'll bet she never said it to his face!
Old 11-30-2006, 04:38 PM

Oh I see. How funny that woman was.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:58 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Well, at least she recognised Philips Greek roots, as his in-laws did their best to make the ugly Greek goose a beautiful English swan :)
Old 11-30-2006, 05:19 PM

And for Greek we read Danish.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Prince Philip on top form

BRITAIN'S Queen Elizabeth II toured an exclusive Scottish gentleman's club in London on Scotland's national day today - but her husband Prince Philip stole the show with some wisecracks.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...rom=public_rss

I simply love this guy---!

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii