The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh attended the opening of the Scottish Parliament in the wake of the Scottish Nationalist Party's election victory, and the event officially inaugurated the third session of the Scottish Parliament since its creation in 1999 under the devolution settlement.
The Queen met Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond at the opening of the Scottish Parliament.
Edinburgh. Saturday June 30, 2007.

Pictures:
Queen Elizabeth
Queen Elizabeth and The Duke of Edinburgh
Queen Elizabeth and The Duke of Edinburgh 2

The Queen and Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond...
...talking about serious things...
...and having some fun

Former First Minister Jack McConnell and Scottish Conservative leader Annabel Goldie

Gallery of Pictures from Getty

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 06-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Royal Highness

What an interesting fashion choice, mint green and pink. The look is fabulous.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Lovely pics though Princess Anne looks like an extra from "Foyle's War".
That was a wonderful series too!
Old 06-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Wonderful pics of the Queen, thanks for posting, Avalon, I loved her dresses the last days, well, I mostly do
I think the following pic has not been posted yet:

Queen Elizabeth II (L) poses with Prince Philip (C) and First Minister of Scotland Alex Salmond 30 June 2007 at
the opening of the Scottish Parliament, in Edinburgh. AFP PHOTO/POOL/MICHAEL BOYD
---> Pic
Again a very nice dress
Old 07-02-2007, 12:32 AM
Aristocracy

It is funny to see The Queen with a First Minister that wants to see Scotland as a country. In Canada, it would be REALY weird to see The Queen and a independentist leader of the PQ together. I guess politics are different in every countries.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
ATight security for Queen Elizabeth touring Scotland
I thought about this over the weekend, I'm glad the security people are keeping a closer eye on things. It would be dreadful if anything happened to her :(
Old 07-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Pics 2.7.2007

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip are shown a doll of Prince Harry by Caroline Milne (L) during a tour
The Shore, where they met young people, staff and volunteers 2 July 2007
I wonder what her comment was...

Pic 1
Pic 2
Old 07-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Wonderful, just like him! - I expect!
Old 07-03-2007, 02:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Looks more like Ron Weasley to me, but whatever.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Wonderful, just like him! - I expect!
I think so as well
Here are some more pics of another event the Queen attended yesterday:

Queen Elizabeth II opens the restored Baxter Park, July 2, 2007 in Dundee, Scotland. Police have tightened security
during Queen Elizabeth II's visit to Scotland following the recent spate of failed terrorist attacks in both Glasgow
and London. Donald Suttie/Scoopt/Getty

Pic 1
Pic 2
getty gallery
Old 07-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Pics 3.7.2007

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II visits Stirling Castle, the home of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, 5th Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland on July 3, 2007 in Stirling, Scotland. Her Majesty also attended a service in the Chapel Royal before meeting serving soldiers, affiliated units, TA and cadets. Mitchell /Getty

Does she like what she sees?

She does!

Getty gallery with more pics
Old 07-04-2007, 09:55 PM

As unveiled in the House of Commons, the following powers will (if the PM gets his constitution) be devolved to Parliament from the Queen rather than from the Queen to the Prime Minister;

*the power to declare war
*the power to request the dissolution of parliament
*the power to ratify treaties
*the power to appoint Bishops
Old 07-05-2007, 05:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II visits Stirling Castle, the home of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, 5th Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland on July 3, 2007 in Stirling, Scotland. Her Majesty also attended a service in the Chapel Royal before meeting serving soldiers, affiliated units, TA and cadets. Mitchell /Getty

She does!
Thank you iceflower, lovely pictures once again. I wonder if she gets tired of visiting all these troops and having to smile.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Does she like what she sees?

She does!

Getty gallery with more pics
I guess it is a nice situation to see all those good-looking soldiers on knowing that they would die for you. I'd smile, too.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
As unveiled in the House of Commons, the following powers will (if the PM gets his constitution) be devolved to Parliament from the Queen rather than from the Queen to the Prime Minister;

If the Queen is deprived of the power to declare war, will she be Commander-in-Cheif?
I find it annoying Brown is aimed to take some of the Royal Prerogatives. What powers are left to the Monarch then, if the powers to declare war, the power to rquest the dissolution of parliament and the power to appoint Bishops are gone.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

I do not know very much about the British constitution, but I don't think I like these changes. The way things are now, can't the monarch act as a kind of "brake" to slow down a PM/government before it does something rash? Changing this would put more power in the PM's hands, wouldn't it? I'm not criticizing, just wondering.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
If the Queen is deprived of the power to declare war, will she be Commander-in-Cheif?
She isn't deprived of it, she still holds that power but it's devolved to parliament rather than the Prime Minister which is how it's been up to now.

Quote:
I do not know very much about the British constitution, but I don't think I like these changes.
Well, we don't have a constitution which is why this is rather important.

Quote:
Changing this would put more power in the PM's hands, wouldn't it?
No, totally the opposite. It takes power away from the Prime Minister and gives it to MPs instead but the powers are still technically held by the Queen.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She isn't deprived of it, she still holds that power but it's devolved to parliament rather than the Prime Minister which is how it's been up to now.

No, totally the opposite. It takes power away from the Prime Minister and gives it to MPs instead but the powers are still technically held by the Queen.
Thanks for explanations BeatrixFan.
So the Queen still 'declares war', but the final decision will be after Parliament (or the Parliament would advise the Queen to declare war and she would have the final say)?

If this is the case I like the changes more, and having a written constitution is certainly a great thing, imo.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:42 PM

Yep. Example; Britain wishes to declare war on Zimbabwe. At the moment, Gordon Brown simply goes to the Queen and asks for her permission to declare war. The war is declared in the Queen's name but is actually declared by the Prime Minister. Gordon Brown wants to change that. Parliament would ask for the permission to declare war but the Queen can still refuse. Basically, all the powers listed that are devolved to the Prime Minister are no longer devolved to him and are devolved to parliament. Which is brilliant IMO and long overdue.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Yep. Example; Britain wishes to declare war on Zimbabwe. At the moment, Gordon Brown simply goes to the Queen and asks for her permission to declare war. The war is declared in the Queen's name but is actually declared by the Prime Minister. Gordon Brown wants to change that. Parliament would ask for the permission to declare war but the Queen can still refuse. Basically, all the powers listed that are devolved to the Prime Minister are no longer devolved to him and are devolved to parliament. Which is brilliant IMO and long overdue.
OK, I understand it now. Very good explanation, thank you BeatrixFan

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii