Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 15: January 2014-July 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I frequently see references to these alleged trusts usually with suggestions that the Queen mother set them up for all of her great grandchildren. But in Mike Tindall's interview the other day he said that he and Zara had to pay their own way, so I'm not convinced the girls received trusts from their GGM. I did read that trusts were set up for the girls as part of their parent's divorce settlement - but those weren't very large. Of course Dave needs to socialize with the very wealthy to sell them very expensive space travel, so perhaps Branson pays for some of these jaunts as a business expense.
It will be interesting to see how Uncle Charles handles the Yorks' finances once the Duchy of Lancaster income is his.

Ok, I did my own research - here's what the BBC was writing the year the Queen mother died:
BBC News | UK | Queen inherits Queen Mother's estate
In 1994 she set aside 2/3s of 19 million pounds (or around 12.5 million pounds) to be divided amongst her 8 great grandchildren, which would work out to about 1.5 million pounds each. This article
The gamble that foiled the taxman | UK news | The Guardian
reports that William and Harry were to split 6 million at age 21 - presumably the higher number due to the trusts having increased since their 1994 founding, and then more at age 40.
So if both York girls had the same set up then they had access to part of the principal at age 21.
And here is an article referencing the 1996 divorce settlement where the Queen put 1.4 million pounds (or .7 million pounds each) into trusts for the York girls.
Duchess of York's divorce settlement was worth £3 million - Telegraph

Last edited:
"Pukka" is a word you'll often come across in novels about British India, or movies based on those novels, and usually used in conjunction with "sahib".

The Wikipedia definition accords with my understanding of the words: "Pukka sahib is a slang term taken from Hindi words for "Absolute" ("first class", absolutely genuine" for English users) and "master", but meaning "true gentleman or "excellent fellow". Used in the British Empire to describe Europeans; more usually to describe an attitude which British administrators affected, that of an "aloof, impartial, incorruptible arbiter of the political fate of a large part of the earth's surface".

The word "pukka" is still used formally in 19th- and 21st-century English and Greek to describe something as "first class" or "absolutely genuine". As a slang term, it is often used by British service-people."

It's a compliment.

Last edited:
I know she can do what she wants etc etc. but with everything going on with her father why make waves.
Any article about her well bring Andrews name up again
She does look like a spoiled princess , mightn't be the case but that impression I'm left with

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I don't think it's about being spoiled; I think Beatrice rather be out of London and away from the headlines at this time. Dave and her friends are keeping her busy with relaxed vacations and fun.

She doesn't have to stay in London but somewhere in the UK would be a better look if she really needs that many holidays.
Once again to me it's a spoiled , work shy look

However she should be settling into her career. Since leaving university she has had a few internships, one job for 6 months and another internship for 11 months. She has a degree in History and History of Ideas but hasn't followed that 'interest' in her job choices. She is turning into a wastrel who really is just a party girl. She dabbles in work until she needs some holiday time and then she quits it seems. She quit the finance job just before the start of the summer 'season' in 2013 and then she quits Sony in December 2014 and spends January on holidays rather than trying to find another job. She is already seen as a low level royal and hanger on but her lack of job consistency will only see her more and more despised by the British public.

I wouldn't be surprised if she's just decided she might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb.

I think all this criticism is jolly unfair to her. She's done nothing wrong, simply had the misfortune to be born the daughter of Randy Andy and Sarah Ferguson.

So she's been on holiday for a month! So what?! I say, lucky her!

ETA That was not a response to Bertie's post; it crossed with mine. I agree she should be getting a serious job, but if this last month's holidaying is the worst thing she's done, and it seems to be, it's not a big deal.

Last edited:
For the average person a week or two at the beach is as good as it gets.
Then you have a Princess who can slip off wherever whenever and doesn't need to work. She doesn't do much in the way of helping others in the community and doesn't do volunteer work.
Equals spoiled young lady

Spoiled brings to mind a rather unpleasant ungrateful selfish person and we have no evidence whatsoever Beatrice is that just the opposite in fact.I would use the terms indulged and sheltered and maybe a hair complacent instead.

Last edited:
Different words mean different things to different people.
My opinion is based on what I see which is the only way we can

Quitting her job again explains why she has so much holiday time at least. LOL She will wait then get something else play at it for awhile then most likely quit again. It really doesn't look good on your resume quitting two jobs then going on vacations for awhile. Beatrice needs to work out if she really wants a career which I really dont think she does or if she just wants to do what she wants when she wants. She doesn't need to work it would look better for her and the family if she did. Maybe she quit cause she is planning to marry Dave and needs all the time to arrange the wedding? While companies probably think wow they have a princess working for them in the beginning the reality is Beatrice does take a lot of time off usually you need to be in employment for 12 months before you get holidays that has never applied to Beatrice she will run out of places to work and willing to put up with her lifestyle. She really doesn't seem all that interested in what she did her degree in so far so if she does get another job or internship it will be interesting to see what she tries at next and how long she can last for.

Its a shame in a way that Beatrice moved into St James' Palace otherwise there would be no way now the media could say she is using taxpayers money and so their articles would have a little less impact.
IMO its up to Beatrice if she wants to work or not and I have many friends the same age who don't work in 'career' jobs butt are still trying to work out what exactly they want to do. I guess Beatrice could be the same, unsure what career she might want and of course unlike my friends she doesn't have to work in any job just for the money.
On the other hand I can see perfectly that by not having a job she is opening herself up to massive criticism from the media especially as they will compare her to William and Harry and Zara and Peter who all work relatively hard.

I think people and media need to get off Beatrice's back and give her the room to figure out what she wants to do. She's young and have plenty of time to decide.

Personally I think she's biding time and waiting to get married and start a family.

deanpiper @deanpiper · 19 h 19 ore fa It's really getting my goat how Princess Beatrice is being perceived on social media and in the press today. She's one of the good guys.

deanpiper @deanpiper · 19 h 19 ore fa She didn't ask to be a Royal and she copes with it better than most. She does a load of charity work, she's bright and extremely smart.

Personally, I couldn't agree more...

Personally I think she's biding time and waiting to get married and start a family.

That's what I think too which is fine if Dave can afford to keep them both for Beatrice to not work. (I don't really know what Dave does.) If she doesn't work she will be called lazy and abusing her HRH status blah blah blah. Peter and Zara don't get any of that because they are a Prince/Princess, and the same for Louise and James when they are older. Andy should have done what Edward did and not given the HRH style to his kids. Beatrice and Eugenie (more so Beatrice lately) are paying for it when it wasn't even their choice to be a Princess.

From what I've read Andrew very much wanted the title of princess for his daughters.
If she wants to settle down and raise her family, good for her a full time mum is the best job in world. I hope she does but in the mean time sticking with a job even part time would be a good idea
She is very lucky to be able to live in homes she does and have holidays when she wants so a little work would not be that hard.

I do think that the fact she is an HRH is a disadvantage to Beatrice. I don't know when it was decided that Beatrice wasn't going to be a full time Royal, but if she wasn't going to do Royal duties other than the occasional extended family ones, then she shouldn't have had that style. Do the girls only have it because Andrew was just being stubborn and insisting? If so, not well thought out on his part.

I actually think that her dabbling in the occasional patronage as she is now doesn't help. She's got a foot in both camps and doesn't seem to fully belong in either. She needs to get a job. She's 27 this year and should be establishing herself in a career, or a job, at least. Unless she's just waiting around filling in time till she gets married. A lot of people frowned on Kate for doing that, but at least in her case she has the prospect of an increasingly demanding job for the rest of her life; Beatrice can't make that claim.

The HRH doesn't seem to be making a difference to Eugenie though, but she is working overseas at this stage of her career and when she moves home where she has the burden of the "Princess" title, she will have a big paragraph completed on her CV.

Last edited:
When Beatrice was born there was no really strong anti-monarchy feeling like there is now. It was simply expected that the 1917 LPs would be followed. That was the same when Eugenie was born. At that time it would also have been expected that in all likelihood they would follow Alexandra's example and work full-time for the Firm.

That latter idea changed somewhere AFTER Diana died when the royals were really on the outer with the public and certainly AFTER Andrew started to send so much time being portrayed negatively in the press as 'air-miles Andy'.

I suspect that when Beatrice left school she would have been expecting to eventually work for the family but that is now clearly not happening so she is trying to find a job that she can do. The two she has tried really don't match her degree so somewhere she has been badly advised - either about what she needed to study for her job or the types of jobs that go with her degree.

If the York princesses aren't to be princesses than of course Harry's children can't be HRHs either.

I am personally moving to the idea that only the eldest child on the monarch should have HRH in each generation and only once they are the heir. I that system Charles would be the only Prince while the others would by Lords and Ladies with the clear understanding that they would be expected to work in the real work - even William and Kate - until William becomes the heir. William would have the title of Lord William of Wales - no other title until he becomes the heir apparent and so George would also be Lord George of Wales.

When Beatrice was born there was no really strong anti-monarchy feeling like there is now. It was simply expected that the 1917 LPs would be followed. That was the same when Eugenie was born. At that time it would also have been expected that in all likelihood they would follow Alexandra's example and work full-time for the Firm.

That latter idea changed somewhere AFTER Diana died when the royals were really on the outer with the public and certainly AFTER Andrew started to send so much time being portrayed negatively in the press as 'air-miles Andy'.

I suspect that when Beatrice left school she would have been expecting to eventually work for the family but that is now clearly not happening so she is trying to find a job that she can do. The two she has tried really don't match her degree so somewhere she has been badly advised - either about what she needed to study for her job or the types of jobs that go with her degree.

If the York princesses aren't to be princesses than of course Harry's children can't be HRHs either.

I am personally moving to the idea that only the eldest child on the monarch should have HRH in each generation and only once they are the heir. I that system Charles would be the only Prince while the others would by Lords and Ladies with the clear understanding that they would be expected to work in the real work - even William and Kate - until William becomes the heir. William would have the title of Lord William of Wales - no other title until he becomes the heir apparent and so George would also be Lord George of Wales.

Not sure the situation has anything to do with the Cambridge's and Harry.

I firmly believe Beatrice will find the right job for her. Outside of her job, I think she's been taking these vacations due to the sexual allegations against her father. I guess being away from the UK and it's headlines was her solution.

Last edited:
That's what I think too, Dman.

Outside of her job, I think she's been taking these vacations due to the sexual allegations against her father. I guess being away from the UK and it's headlines was her solution.

She's been not working and taking holidays before all this with Andrew come up.
It's been a pattern of her life the last few years.

She is a private person. What she does is up to her. the Uk media are bullying her and its a disgrace.

She's been not working and taking holidays before all this with Andrew come up.
It's been a pattern of her life the last few years.

That part is true.

I also agree that when Beatrice was born it was expected she'd be a full-time royal and no doubt the same was planned for Edward's children - HRH's and full-time royals. But by the time she was university age, after her gap year, it must have been realized this would not be the case - as this was around 2007.

I suppose "Princess Beatrice" will never have to get a career and prove herself like the rest of us - there will always be some sort of job waiting for her and some roof over her head. However, with all of these accusations surrounding her father, this might not always be the case - unfair? Tremendously. But true, nevertheless. She might have to start proving herself on her own.

I skimmed through thread and saw she received 1.2 million pounds or something like this from the Queen Mother? I'm not sure that this is enough to live on for the rest of one's life when one is in the mid-20's of one does not otherwise work.

:bang: IMO, all of Beatrice's and Eugenie's charity works should be listed in the CC. If you are a HRH all your charity work etc should be in the CC and when you turn 21 you should be compensated for it.

It makes no sense for Beatrice and Eugenie to do the work without the credit and compensation.

Harry and William are praised nonstop for having a job and doing charity work but Beatrice is accused of dabbling and not focused. Beatrice and Eugenie have been attacked by the media since they were in school. It is the same accusations.

If Beatrice's male cousins switch jobs, it is okay but if Beatrice and her sister switch jobs, then they are attacked as lazy and not focused etc.

The same rules should apply to all.

fyi, Should George be called airmile Georgie or globe trotting George?

Different rules for different folks.
Or double standard.

She is a private person. What she does is up to her. the Uk media are bullying her and its a disgrace.
I agree she is a private person and that what she does is up to her. And what she has been doing has been pretty good. Her stance on using her own life experience, e.g. dyslexia, had been very effective and laudeable.

That the UK media are bullying her is indeed a disgrace, but there are people on this board who are every bit as bad as the media. And they can't even use the excuse that it's their job! As Dorothy Parker was wont to say, "Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone".

I skimmed through thread and saw she received 1.2 million pounds or something like this from the Queen Mother? I'm not sure that this is enough to live on for the rest of one's life when one is in the mid-20's of one does not otherwise work.

I agree. I don't know UK property prices but I imagine that would only be enough to buy her a modest place to live and a bit of 'pin money' income but she'd certainly have to work to supplement the income to finance her lifestyle. Though she will likely receive a comfortable sum from her grandparents' estates in due course.

Funny I don't think anyone on here has bullied her I think we have expressed our opinion. Heaven forbid I do that.

Funny I don't think anyone on here has bullied her I think we have expressed our opinion. Heaven forbid I do that.

if this refers to my post, I said that the UK media was bullying, no one on here.

Otherwise, dont understand this post. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom