Prince Harry Current Events 2: September 2003-August 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com

Royals demand privacy for Harry in Australia

LONDON (Reuters) - The royal family has appealed for the media to leave Prince Harry in peace during his gap year in Australia.

"We are concerned and disappointed that the media does not seem to be leaving him to the privacy that he needs if he is to learn new skills during his year off," a spokeswoman for Prince Charles' office said on Friday.

Harry, the 19-year-old youngest son of heir-to-the-throne Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana, is spending three months working on a ranch in the Australian outback as part of his gap year between school and possible further studies.

He arrived in Australia on Tuesday and started work the next day at a cattle station owned by friends of his late mother.

The spokeswoman said the royals were pleased with the conduct of the media at a photocall at Sydney Zoo on Tuesday but were worried photographers and cameramen might use planes, helicopters and long lenses to film Harry on the ranch.

She said the warning, which had not been prompted by one specific incident, applied to both British and Australian media.

Sources close to Charles' office have said sustained media intrusion might force the young prince to change his plans and cut short his Australian trip.

The royal family have always been keen to protect Harry and his brother William from the kind of frenzied media coverage that dogged Diana before her death in a car crash in 1997.

Relations between the royals and the media have, however, improved lately, in part because the royals have staged a number of well-managed photocalls and interviews with the young princes in an effort to sate the media's appetite for coverage.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,851
Leave me alone, pleads Harry
September 25, 2003 - 2:38PM

Britain's Prince Harry looks at a koala during a visit to Sydney's Taronga Zoo.
Picture: Reuters

Prince Harry is tired of dodging the world's media and wants to be left alone to learn about life on an Australian outback property.

Colleen Harris, press secretary to Harry's father Charles, the Prince of Wales, said today the 19-year-old prince did not want to spend his time in Australia trying to avoid the cameras.

"Learning about the farm and the jackaroo trade, that's what he wants to do, not dodge the cameras," she said.

In his only public appearance so far, Prince Harry was photographed by a posse of local and British media at Sydney's Taronga Zoo shortly after arriving in Australia on Tuesday.

But Ms Harris today issued a plea to the world's media to now leave Harry in peace at Tooloombilla, a 16,000 hectare cattle property west of Injune in outback Queensland.

"We are grateful to the media for making Prince Harry's arrival in Australia and the subsequent photocall so successful," she said in a statement.

"As we made clear when he arrived, Harry is here on a private visit to learn about the country and to learn new trades and disciplines."

Harry will work as a jackeroo on the Tooloombilla property for the next three months, but he will also take time out to play polo and attend the Rugby World Cup, starting next month.

However, his priority is the cattle property where he will earn the very unprincely sum of $212.63 a week after tax as he learns to be a jackaroo.

"He can only do this if he is allowed to live peacefully and in privacy, away from the media spotlight," Ms Harris said.

"In common with all other tours that he and his brother William have undertaken in the UK and elsewhere in the Commonwealth, we would ask the media to respect that privacy and to desist from seeking to photograph him.

"We would be pleased if camera crews and photographers who are currently at Tooloombilla would withdraw accordingly."

Tooloombilla station is owned by Annie and Noel Hill.

Mrs Hill is a long-time friend of Harry's late mother Princess Diana, while Mr Hill is a son of millionaire polo star Sinclair Hill, who has coached Harry's father Prince Charles.

Queensland Premier Peter Beattie also called on the increasing horde of local and overseas media to leave Prince Harry alone.

"I would hope that everybody, and that includes the media, give him a bit of breathing space and respects his right to some degree of privacy," he said yesterday.

But tourism officials hope the royal visitor will boost the outback's profile with young British backpackers.

Ms Harris said future picture opportunities with the Prince may be organised.

"We hope to arrange further photo opportunities during Harry's time here but we hope the media will now allow him to experience this country in peace and quiet," she said.

Harry's 'a young man in pieces'
By Andrew Stevenson and Eddie Fitzmaurice, in London
September 28, 2003
The Sun-Herald

The view at Tooloombilla Station, in south-eastern Queensland. Photo: Andy Zakeli

Instead of joining jackaroos and farmhands in the rowdy atmosphere of the Mitchell rodeo, Prince Harry threatened to end his Queensland country experience prematurely yesterday.

Indeed, some reports said he already had, with an early morning flight from Roma Airport.

Sick of prying cameras which prevented him experiencing the jackaroo's life, Prince Harry was said to have bailed up inside Tooloombilla Station while an escape plan and alternative arrangements for his stay in Australia were hatched.

But hours later, as reporters including one from Fleet Street, left the area, a spokesman for Queensland Premier Peter Beattie maintained he was still on the property.

With his gap-year tour of the outback turning into pure farce, the prince came in search of action and adventure. Instead, his minders said, he found it sitting inside watching videos, a prisoner of media scrutiny.

"I've got a young man in there in pieces," Mark Dyer, the senior aide who arranged Harry's visit, told British reporters on Friday.

Fleet Street correspondent Frank Thorne quoted Mr Dyer as saying: "He can't do his job as a jackaroo, he can't go out, he can't even muster cattle in the yards near the road without having his photo taken."

The last straw appears to have been the aborted trip to Mitchell rodeo yesterday, called off because of the expected extent of media coverage.

Annie and Noel Hill, the Australian couple hosting the prince on their 16,600-hectare property north west of Roma, were upset Harry couldn't do his job as a jackaroo, Thorne said.

"He couldn't move out of the property and he was saying, 'What is the point in me being here if I can't do what I came here to do?'. He was a prisoner on the property. He was basically saying, 'I may as well go home'," Thorne added.

In London, senior royal aides confirmed the threat of a pull out existed, blaming "intolerable" media attention and saying it might force Prince Harry to cut short his three-month Australian adventure.

Colleen Harris, press secretary to the Prince of Wales, said that unless Harry was left alone, the rest of his visit might be in jeopardy.

She told The Times newspaper: "He's gone to the outback to acquire new trades and have new experiences, but if he's hindered by the media and it's disruptive to his work on the farm, then we will have to look at the options."

Asked if this could mean Harry making an early return to Britain, Miss Harris replied: "It's not at that stage yet, but it's a plea to the media to give him a bit of space."

Prince Charles's office issued a statement on Thursday calling for the media to withdraw so Harry could be allowed to continue his stay in privacy.

Yesterday, the Queensland government issued a denial that the Prince had fled, though no one was sure where he was.

A spokesman for Mr Beattie said: "as at 1.30, he is still on the property".

But the Daily Mail warned of the implications of Harry quitting, saying it could backfire with the Australian media bound to label him a "whingeing Pom".

One royal insider told the newspaper: "I hope they know what they are doing.

"If Harry walks out he could be tagged a quitter, just as Prince Edward has for walking out on the Royal Marines all those years ago. He should stick it out."

Locals were disappointed by suggestions of Harry's early departure.

"Apparently he's coming back once the media goes away," said local motel owner Nick Campion. "Most of us here are really annoyed because it would have brought lots of people in. If he'd just let the media take one photo the media would have pissed off."

Lib McEwan, wife of Injune Hotel licensee John McEwan, blamed the media for jeopardising the prince's stay. "I think our locals are starting to get a bit defensive because they're feeling sorry for him," she said. :rolleyes:

Australians want media to leave Harry alone

Australians believe the media should leave Prince Harry alone while he learns how to be a jackaroo at an Outback station.

An Internet poll on Australian web site www.ninemsn.com.au found 87% of 43,224 people who took part thought the press should respect his privacy.

A minder for Harry had reportedly said the young prince was fed up by being chased by photographers staking out the Tooloombilla cattle ranch in Queensland state.

Harry reportedly cancelled plans to attend a weekend rodeo near the ranch because he feared a media frenzy.

Queensland premier Peter Beattie also appealed to the media to give Harry space so he could make the most of his stay.

© Associated Press

Charles fury at Harry's minder
CLIVE GOODMAN

PRINCE Harry's gap-year minder is flying home to a bitter row today
after accusing Australians of ruining the young royal's outback trip.
Prince Charles is said to be furious that former Welsh Guards
officer Mark Dyer launched the unauthorised attack on Harry's hosts
Down Under.

Dyer tried to ban Aussie pressmen who are besieging the Queensland
cattle station where Harry is learning to be a jackaroo cowboy. He
even warned that Harry would quit the trip if he wasn't left alone.
"If the Australians would only work with us we would work with
them-but they refuse to," said Dyer, 37.

And he claimed Harry told him: "I can't be a jackaroo and I can't go
out anywhere.

What's the point of being here? I may as well go home."

One of Charles's aides said: "Dyer didn't talk to anyone about what
he was going to say-the boss is very angry.

"We started out with Australia delighted to see Harry and we've
ended up at war.

It's set the mon-archy back ten years in Australia."

A spokeswoman denied reports that Harry had left the Tooloombilla
ranch, saying: "He's fine. He has not left, is not going to leave and
never planned to leave.

He's enjoying his visit."

But locals have turned against Harry, 19. One, George Christian,
said: "He's a wimpy Pom."

DYER and his business partners are to close the bar exposed as a
drugs den by the News of the World last week. Marcus Roberts, manager
of Dyer's Just So Bar in Wandsworth, south-west London, set up a
cocaine deal with investigators.

The popular Prince has been so upset by the intense media attention that the Palace has decided to release some footage of him on a cattle ranch to satisfy public interest and secure him some privacy

29 SEPTEMBER 2003
Prince Harry's gap year has got off to a choppy start, with complaints over press intrusion and the financing of the trip marring his first few days on a cattle ranch in the outback.

Royal aides moved swiftly to find a solution after Mark Dyer, who is accompanying Harry, complained about photographers at the perimeter fence and press helicopters overhead. He said that the Prince "might as well come home".

He described Harry, who was obliged to stay indoors after snappers managed to photograph him branding a cow, as being "in pieces" because of the unwelcome attention.

As a result, the Palace has decided to invite a film crew onto the ranch to shoot some footage of Harry which will then be released to satisfy the intense public interest.

And for those concerned over the cost of the three-month stay, it has emerged that the Prince will be paying for it himself, out of the trust fund left to him by his mother, Princess Diana. The same system was used for his brother Prince William's trip to Chile in his gap year.

------------------------------------------
The popular Prince has been so upset by the intense media attention that the Palace has decided to release some footage of him on a cattle ranch to satisfy public interest and secure him some privacy

Um hmmm, tell me another story before this one gets cold. I'll bet you 10 to 1 that Prince Harry is not upset by the photographers. B)

Attachments

• harry_dop1b.jpg
    harry_dop1b.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,175
Polfoto 18-10-2003 No mobile phone use, Internet sites may only use one image every five minutes during match: Prince Harry celebrates England's 25-6 victory over South Africa during the Rugby World Cup match at the Subiaco Stadium, Perth, Australia.

Attachments

• EN_harry_500.jpg
    EN_harry_500.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 531
Polfoto 18-10-2003 No mobile phone use, Internet sites may only use one image every five minutes during match: Prince Harry celebrates with Clive Woodward's wife Jane and son Joe (right) after England's 25-6 victory over South Africa in the Rugby World Cup match at the Subiaco Stadium, Perth, Australia.

Attachments

• EN_harry_500a.jpg
    EN_harry_500a.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 3,540
Polfoto 18-10-2003 No mobile phone use, Internet sites may only use one image every five minutes during match: Prince Harry (right) celebrates with a friend after England's 25-6 victory over South Africa during the Rugby World Cup match at the Subiaco Stadium, Perth, Australia.

Attachments

• EN_harry_500b.jpg
    EN_harry_500b.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 456
I don't know if I'm wrong but In some pictures he looks so happy :p but in other he look like he is lost bored... lonely :( I don't know I could be wrong :blush:

Originally posted by wlb825@Oct 21st, 2003 - 8:42 am
I don't know if I'm wrong but In some pictures he looks so happy :p but in other he look like he is lost bored... lonely :( I don't know I could be wrong :blush:
Maybe his team was down or losing in the pictures he looks sad? :unsure:

yes that could be it... but also.. it must be really hard to be so far away from home..... but I guess their home is not like ours... not warm enough... everythime I'm down I go to my Mom house.. I feel so safe there( My father died when I was six years old) and they go home to what? No mom no dad... that's so weir

Why so wild about harry?

With Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger wrote the definitive novel of adolescence; At 17 made Janis Ian its songstress. Yesterday, it was the turn of the News of the World to define the perils of growing up.

The subject (of course) was Prince Harry; the problem, the drugs and drink to which he has been exposed. All prim and proper for the day, the paper revealed it was "every caring parent?s nightmare" and congratulated the "strength and realism" of Prince Charles for confronting his son?s brush with cannabis.

Whether the father?s cure - exposing his son to a detox clinic for recovered heroin addicts - proves effective remains to be seen. The relationship between hard and soft drugs has never been satisfactorily proven, nor the efficacy of "tough love" cures for off-the-rails schoolboys.

However, if the episode tends to demonstrate anything, it is the relationship between a fractured home and social life and the tendency for youngsters to express themselves in drugs and alcohol.

By any normal measure, the Windsor family might be recognised by sociologists as dysfunctional. For while many children have to grow up enduring their parents? loveless and failing marriages, few have to experience the pain of watching their parents? relationship dissolve on national television.

And, while most children have difficulty coming to terms with the idea of their mother and father having sex with each other, let alone anyone else, the Windsor boys had to face up to the intimate details of their parents? affairs being splashed across the front pages of the press.

Living life in a bubble, surrounded by policemen and minders and themselves kept from the public gaze, has inevitably had an impact. In his book Diana?s Boys Christopher Andersen, a contributing editor of Time magazine, reports that on more than one tearful occasion William insisted he did not want to be King.

Diana would tell friends: "William is waiting patiently for the monarchy to be abolished."

Shortly before her death, the Princess of Wales talked about the pain of losing her royal title, and how her son tried to comfort her, telling her that she was "very lucky to be able to give up the HRH". Until yesterday, there was a school of thought among royal watchers that Prince Harry had dealt with his unusual family circumstances rather better than his brother. The brief fashion for this theory appears to have passed.

Glossy magazines have tended to drool over the social life of the royal princes. William, we?re told, chooses to hang out in trendy Soho bars such as China White or Met Bar where he rubs shoulders (in the words of one seasoned royal watcher) with "horrible yahs with gold credit cards".

In Harry?s case, signs he was attracted to this dubious high life have come early. Even in the scant media coverage of his life to date, he has established his reputation as boy about town, photographed last year on top of a four-wheel drive with the obligatory "stunning blonde", one Emma Lippiatt.

A Christmas shopping trip last month caused another flurry of interest, after he left Selfridges with a leather thong, variously described as "skimpy", "feathered" and "maribou-trimmed", and probably all three. And around Highgrove, at least according to royal biographer Penny Junor: "It?s well known that he drinks a lot and gets very out of order."

But then pots of money and no responsibility encourage the kinds of performance familiar to Royal watchers since George III was king and the Prince Regent just a lad. Friends as well as family influence a teenager?s outlook and Harry?s difficulties at the Rattlebone Inn are nothing new, even for rich kids of his generation. Last summer, Nicholas Knatchbull, one of Prince Charles?s godchildren and William?s mentor at Eton, received treatment at a drug rehabilitation clinic.

Tom Parker Bowles - another godchild, and the son of Charles? consort - was exposed as a cocaine user two years ago. This "sucker with a pretty face" (according to his friends) found himself the victim of another sting and confessed his habit to a comely female reporter of the royals? favourite Sunday paper, none other than the News of the World.

Punished by the same regime that carted Harry off to spend time talking to junkies, Parker Bowles was reportedly banned from seeing William for months, and ordered to quit drugs if he wished to remain part of his circle.

Tom?s cousin Emma Parker Bowles admitted last year that she had been treated for drink and drug addiction at the same clinic where the princes? ubiquitous friend and "society" girl Tara Palmer-Tomkinson sought refuge in 1999.

Lord Freddie Windsor adopted a more traditional route to infamy, via alcohol. Awarded by the Mirror the doubtful privilege of vainest royal of 2000, he was pictured passed out at the London premiere of Madonna?s film The Next Best Thing after sampling lavish hospitality.

Tongue-pierced Zara Phillips problems have been of a different nature. Earlier this month the 19-year-old was seen screaming, punching and swearing at her boyfriend, the jockey Richard Johnson, during the late-night row. He had apparently accused her of an affair with another rider, Warren Marston, and the row was felt unlikely to ease the sometimes stormy relationship which exists between Princess Anne and her daughter.

But if some of Harry?s circle are unlikely to keep him on the straight and narrow, he also has to contend with the domestic circumstances which have been maintained since his mother?s death.

Last summer his brother was absent in South America and his father is often away. According to News of the World royal editor Clive Goodman, the prince became "a latchkey kid, who has fallen under the influence of some pretty disreputable characters". Possibly. But whether an existence within the bosom of the family would have benefited him to any great extent - the fortunes of a slightly older aristocratic generation suggest not.

Take the case of India Hicks, one of the bridesmaids at Charles and Diana?s wedding, a 32-year-old unmarried mother who retired to the Caribbean with her boyfriend and four-year-old son.

Then there?s Harry?s 34-year-old cousin Marina Mowatt, an extrovert young woman, who drank heavily, and married a husband who beat her up.

She caused a bitter split with her parents when she publicly announced that she was two months? pregnant with her daughter - Zenouska - and refused their wish for a quick wedding. After the wedding the couple - to prevent any sales of family silver - sold their story for £30,000.

Lady Helen Taylor (formerly Windsor), married now and all grown up, rock?n?rolled before she was a bride. Photographed topless on a Corfu beach with her first serious boyfriend, she smuggled the second, Nigel Oakes, into York House, her parents? grace-and-favour home in St James?s Palace.

And then there?s Harry?s father himself. In 1963, when Charles was just under 15, his worst experience of this difficult brand of publicity was the notorious cherry brandy incident.

Out on a sailing expedition from Gordonstoun, he and some other boys were given permission to go ashore to have supper and see a film. Crowds followed them to a hotel. Charles retreated to the public bar and when the barman asked him what he wanted to drink, he replied cherry brandy ("because I?d drunk it when it was cold out shooting," he later explained).

A freelance journalist walked in and the story of the underage prince asking for alcohol in a public bar became news. The media speculated whether the headmaster of Gordonstoun would use the cane on the princely posterior. Charles?s favourite detective was disciplined and later resigned, leaving the young prince deeply hurt; ever since, he has said the words "cherry brandy" make him wince.

The extent to which Charles was punished is unknown, and the effect of the crime on his character impossible to gauge. The strictures of the public school system may have helped and we know that the heir to the throne grew up to be a tree-hugger with a bent for old-fashioned architecture. There may still be hope for his younger son.

Of course, you can?t choose your relations and, with the additional burden of living in the glare of the media, it?s hard not to sympathise with Wills and young Harry. They?re probably nice lads, but would you want them living next door?

A royal precedent

"HEIR but spare", the description which greeted Prince Harry?s ill-starred emergence from his brother?s shadow, is a notion which has dogged his aunt, Princess Margaret.

The princess first rasied eyebrows when, aged 20, she fell in love with Group Captain Peter Townsend, a Battle of Britain fighter pilot who became equerry to her father. But he was divorced and a commoner - to marry him would have meant giving up a Civil List income and having the status of an ordinary married woman.

In October 1955, in a statement from Clarence House, she said: "I would like it to be known that I have decided not to marry Group Captain Peter Townsend. I have been aware that, subject to my renouncing my rights of succession, it might have been possible for me to contract a civil marriage, but mindful of the Church?s teaching that Christian marriage is indissoluble, and conscious of my duty to the Commonwealth, I have resolved to put these considerations before any others."

In 1958 Princess Margaret met photographer Anthony Armstrong-Jones and married him two years later in Westminster Abbey. He was created Earl of Snowdon and his wife became Countess of Snowdon, a title which she still holds.

The couple had two children, David, Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones, but by September 1973 the Snowdons were separated in all but name. It was then the princess met landscape gardener Roddy Llewellyn and invited him to accompany her to Mustique. The princess had first visited the island in 1960 while cruising the Caribbean on the Royal Yacht Britannia, and has a ten-acre plot there, given to her as a wedding present by the island?s then owner, Colin Tennant. The Snowdon marriage was finally ended early in 1976 when the moral crusaders of the News of the World published a picture of the princess and Llewellyn on the island.

In 1978, Margaret became the first close member of the Royal Family to divorce since Henry VIII dumped Catherine of Aragon. Since then, although resolutely ploughing her own furrow through life, she has rarely emerged from the shadows. When she does make the headlines, it is generally for reasons of ill-health.

Once a heavy smoker - she is thought to have smoked around 40 a day - the princess is also known to enjoy a drink. She suffered a mild stroke on Mustique in 1998 and last year was again admitted to hospital , following another stroke.

HRH the Princess Margaret Rose of York was born at Glamis Castle on August 21, 1930. There is a story told that her father, the Duke of York, later King George VI, delayed the registration of her birth at Glamis post office until another birth had taken place in the village because otherwise the certificate would have been number 13.

Mike Wade
Monday, 14th January 2002
The Scotsman

Polfoto 09-11-2003 Prince Harry celebrates with the England coach's wife, Jane Woodward, after England beat Wales in the Rugby World Cup Quarter-Final match at the Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane, Australia

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 456
Very nice photos, Josefine. I like Harry's shorter close-cut much better than the longer hair he was sporting earlier during his visit to Australia.

www.hellomagazine.com

10 NOVEMBER 2003
Prince Harry has reached for the clippers in an effort to stay cool under the intense Australian sun. The handsome royal, who has been learning to shear sheep on a cattle ranch, has decided to shave off his famous mane of red hair. Turning out for England's clash with Wales at the Rugby World Cup, the 19-year-old turned heads with a tight, military-style crop.

He was joined at the match by Jayne Woodward, wife of England rugby coach Clive. And the pair were clearly enjoying the game, as they were photographed hugging as their team fought its way to victory in Brisbane.

Some onlookers were surprised to see Harry embracing an older woman, but he has been friends with Jayne and her husband for years. The young royal was first spotted hugging the 47-year-old two years ago, when England thrashed Romania 134-0 at Twickenham.

This time around they were treated to rather more tense match, as the Welsh squad battled hard every step of the way. It was England that emerged victorious, however, with a final scoreline of 28-7.

When the final whistle was blown, Harry and Jayne punched the air and threw their arms around each other in relief. No doubt they will be back in Brisbane for England's semi-final clash against France next week. In the meantime, however, Harry will be returning to the Queensland ranch where he's been working as a "jackaroo".

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 977
Maybe I am a bit hormonal at the moment ;) but I am finding Harry quite attractive in these pictures! I am really digging this new close-cropped hair on Harry! I feel like a schoolgirl again who has a big crush on a boy and gets giddy just thinking of him!

Maybe I am a bit hormonal at the moment  but I am finding Harry quite attractive in these pictures! I am really digging this new close-cropped hair on Harry! I feel like a schoolgirl again who has a big crush on a boy and gets giddy just thinking of him!

Okay I feel better now, I thought I was the only one feeling this way.. *sigh*
He should consider keeping his hair that way...

Raven :p

Originally posted by ravenprincess@Nov 10th, 2003 - 2:44 pm
Okay I feel better now, I thought I was the only one feeling this way.. *sigh*
He should consider keeping his hair that way...

Raven :p
You are definitely not the only one who is a fan of Harry's shorter do ravenprincess!

Maybe we could each write him a letter asking him to keep it this way?! ;)

Odd how I'm so fascinated and attracted to this look on Harry when I've never really been a big fan of his before!

www.sundaytimes.news.com.au

Jackaroo Harry parties down in the big smoke
By BEN JOHNSON and PHILLIP KOCH
16 November 2003

IT was a right royal red face that greeted Sydney yesterday when Prince Harry was spotted outside a Kings Cross strip club at 3am.

"No photos please," requested one of his six bodyguards.

But then Prince Harry, 19, wasn't looking his best – grabbing one bodyguard's shirt to remain upright when he left a nightclub.

He had been at Hugo's Lounge, a nightclub above strip club Dancer's Cabaret, in the heart of Sydney's red light district.

"We set him up a little VIP area on the terrace and he was having a great time," confirmed maitre'd Michael Brayshaw.

"At first he was drinking Verve Clicquot and then he was helping himself from the bar. He did not want to be babysat and was just happy to be amongst it. He was chatting to everyone and allowing them to have a snapshot."

Prince Harry flew into Sydney from Roma in Queensland about 9pm – and began partying immediately.

He was taken straight to Paddington's London Tavern where he was reunited with his first cousins, Princess Anne's children Peter and Zara Phillips, at a private function.

The 80 guests included SEL entertainment group managing director James Erskine, who is a close family friend of Princess Anne's former husband, Captain Mark Phillips.

Mr Erskine previously has played host to Peter and Zara Phillips at his $10 million waterfront mansion in Vaucluse.

Prince Harry spent the past month working as a jackaroo on a western Queensland station for a "gap" year break before he returns to England.

While he was at the London Tavern he seemed very relaxed, perched on a windowsill, drinking beer, smoking and enjoying the company of a group of young women.

The third in line for the English throne then kicked on to Hugo's Lounge – and was seen stumbling out of the hip nightclub about 3am,

But it is the Rugby World Cup that has brought the royal teenager and passionate sports fan to Sydney.

Prince Harry will be at Telstra Stadium at Homebush tonight to watch England do battle with France in the remaining semi-final.

The prince, who played rugby at Eton, is likely to spend at least another week in Sydney before returning to Queensland.

He is expected to play for Young England against Young Australia in the 2003 Polo Test Match at Windsor Polo Club in Richmond next Sunday.

www.hellomagazine.com

HARRY SENDS GET WELL MESSAGE FOR SOPHIE

17 NOVEMBER 2003
Sports fan Prince Harry made the most of a high-profile outing to the England rugby World Cup matches Down Under on Saturday, sending thoughtful messages to friends and family back home.

An England flag draped the stands from where he cheered on his home country, and on it were scrawled the words: "Get well soon, Sophie" – a message to his aunt, the Countess of Wessex. Prince Edward's 38-year-old wife remains in hospital after welcoming a baby daughter prematurely nine days ago.

But the Countess apparently wasn't the only one on Harry's mind. Also written on the flag was "Hi, Dad and Willy" – a note to Prince Charles and Prince William – as well as "Hi, Wiggles", thought to be a reference to the 18-year-old Prince's former nanny Tiggy Legge-Bourke, whose husband Charles Pettifer accompanied Harry at the match.

Attachments

• harry_dop1a.jpg
    harry_dop1a.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 881
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom