The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpusa1981
Skydragon, why would they put him in D Squadron? Is just because they don't want to use in combat or is until it is figured out what they will do with Harry?
What I mean if they transfer him a different Regiment or retrain him or what ever.
I would think he has been placed in D squadron while he sorts out the options open to him. I'm sure whatever he and the MOD decide, the media will speculate and fabricate until they have an announcement.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Nobility

Why could he not transfer to the NAVY, where he would be stationed on a ship and be safe in communications.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowarth
Why could he not transfer to the NAVY, where he would be stationed on a ship and be safe in communications.
Because you cannot 'just transfer'. The services are not interchangeable, he would have to apply to go on a naval officer course, he might not be acceptable, he might even get sea sick. He might not have the aptitude to be a communications officer. At the moment he is still an army officer, I just hope he will be allowed some time to make his own decision, as to what he wants to do!
Old 05-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Why would he go into the navy when he wants to be a soldier? He's made no overtures that I know of, that he's ever been interested in a naval career if an army one didn't work out. His dad was in the navy, his uncle was in the navy.....he wants something different. I would like to see him do something connected with what he busted his hump for.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Considering the little incident with the British sailors being picked up and held hostage by Iran, I don't know that being in the Navy would be much of an improvement these days.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Considering the little incident with the British sailors being picked up and held hostage by Iran, I don't know that being in the Navy would be much of an improvement these days.

Harry is caught between a rock and a hard place. No matter what he may want to do, there is an inherent danger in sending him to do it. He doesn't want a desk job the rest of his life, but the MoD can't provide for his safety any other way. I feel really bad for him......it's not easy being the "spare" and I think considering how things could have turned out, he's done a good job dealing with his lot in life. I don't mean to say that the position he holds is a burden (who wouldn't want to be a Prince/Princess and be filthy rich), but the expectations that are on him as the "spare" are what's the burden.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
Why would he go into the navy when he wants to be a soldier? He's made no overtures that I know of, that he's ever been interested in a naval career if an army one didn't work out. His dad was in the navy, his uncle was in the navy.....he wants something different. I would like to see him do something connected with what he busted his hump for.
He hasn't been busting his hump for it for very long though, and he is young enough to change direction. Many people much older than him who have spent many years training for and doing a job they liked have had to change direction when outside forces made their jobs redundant, etc.

The main problem I see for Harry is that he is not academically inclined; everything I think of for him to do now involves university. Apart, that is, from the fleeting thought that he could go to South Africa and lead wildlife safaris or mine diamonds. He also has charity interests in Africa which would probably benefit from his hands-on assistance. Considering his close attachment to Chelsy, such a move might not be as fanciful as it might first seem.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I feel really bad for him......it's not easy being the "spare" and I think considering how things could have turned out, he's done a good job dealing with his lot in life. I don't mean to say that the position he holds is a burden (who wouldn't want to be a Prince/Princess and be filthy rich), but the expectations that are on him as the "spare" are what's the burden.
Exactly just look at British History Second sons becomming Monarch are all over the place King Geoge V King George VI even further back Henry VIII (he had a Brother Arthur)
Old 05-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Harry seems more an Army Officer than Naval Officer. He may feel that the "navy" is for sissies and the Army is for real men (I know a few former army relatives that feel that way). I don't think the Navy could fulfill Harry as much as the Army can. Harry is a rough and tough dude and I don't think he would be particularly happy just sitting on a ship or at a desk in dry port. He likes the outdoors and on the ground type of duty.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
He hasn't been busting his hump for it for very long though, and he is young enough to change direction. Many people much older than him who have spent many years training for and doing a job they liked have had to change direction when outside forces made their jobs redundant, etc.

The main problem I see for Harry is that he is not academically inclined; everything I think of for him to do now involves university. Apart, that is, from the fleeting thought that he could go to South Africa and lead wildlife safaris or mine diamonds. He also has charity interests in Africa which would probably benefit from his hands-on assistance. Considering his close attachment to Chelsy, such a move might not be as fanciful as it might first seem.

It doesn't matter to me how long he's been busting his hump, the fact is he worked his way through Sandhurst with the intention on being a ground troop and seeing active service. If it is too dangerous now for him to go to combat, it should have been too dangerous when he entered Sandhurst (and it was, he didn't enter that long ago). They did him wrong.

And we all know that Harry is not "academically inclined." That's a just a really nice way of saying "not too bright." I bet if he applied himself, he'd succeed. Most C-students are not C-students because of stupidity, but because of apathy. He doesn't strike me as stupid. If he found something in the civilian field that really struck his fancy, I would think he'd go after it. Perhaps he should go back to school and get a degree in Social Work...maybe an advanced degree (I don't know how it works in the English University system) so he can put his humanitarian side to good work.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Nobility

Hopefully Harry will be able to get on with his career after this particular storm has died down. I am absolutely sure that the Queen did not intervene - she didn't stop Andrew (often said to be her favourite child) being a decoy for missiles in the Falklands war. However this situation is a bit different, with the insurgents in Iraq being a different, and particularly nasty, kettle of fish. Harry would be in a position where he could be taken and subjected to public torture and humiliation - even beheading - purely because he is a member of the royal family. All his troup would also be at greater risk as he was being targeted.

When my husband was in Cyrprus in the 1960's, a young corporal had his picture circulated in a local terrorist publication highlighting his intelligence role and saying they were to target him. He was immediately removed from Cyprus as the situation had become too dangerous for him. I believe this also happened during the Troubles in Northern Ireland. If it was deemed correct to remove a corporal who was being personally targeted, surely the same protection should be offered to Harry?

I listened to General Dannatt's speech and feel that now there will be a media clamp-down on Harry's movements - and quite right too. If this can be maintained, he could be deployed elsewhere with no publicity. Clarence House has said that he is not leaving the Army, although very disappointed - so I think that is likely to be the situation. He just needs to keep his head down for a while - and not be seen drowning his sorrows at nightclubs while his men are in Iraq.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Nobility

I blame the media for his problems in the service, if they would leave him alone he would be fine.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I blame the media for his problems in the service, if they would leave him alone he would be fine.
It's not the media's fault. Not everything can be blamed on tabloid newspapers and paparazzi photogs. Even if no one reported on what he was doing and where he was going, he would still be in an equal amount of danger. I blame the MoD for making everyone go through this "Will he or won't he?" go around and then giving poor Harry the shaft. And I don't mean "poor Harry" like he should be pitied, but he was jerked around for quite awhile.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

the army handled it badly, they should have said he will go where ever we send him. In February a statement was made by the Ministry of Defence which said that Harry would be sent to Iraq with his regiment. There are lots of places he can go to with the exception of Irak and Afganistan because the insurgents had singled him out. In other warzones the convention of Geneva holds place and one is a warprisoner with a certain protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
It's not the media's fault. Not everything can be blamed on tabloid newspapers and paparazzi photogs. Even if no one reported on what he was doing and where he was going, he would still be in an equal amount of danger. I blame the MoD for making everyone go through this "Will he or won't he?" go around and then giving poor Harry the shaft. And I don't mean "poor Harry" like he should be pitied, but he was jerked around for quite awhile.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison20
When my husband was in Cyrprus in the 1960's, a young corporal had his picture circulated in a local terrorist publication highlighting his intelligence role and saying they were to target him. He was immediately removed from Cyprus as the situation had become too dangerous for him. I believe this also happened during the Troubles in Northern Ireland. If it was deemed correct to remove a corporal who was being personally targeted, surely the same protection should be offered to Harry?
As you will know, moving people in intelligence, is a different kettle of fish, to moving a troop leader. By their very occupation, they work in small groups in the field.

MoD takes flak for Harry's limbo over Iraq service

Military chiefs were considering Prince Harry's future career in the army yesterday as the Ministry of Defence was roundly attacked over the embarrassing fiasco of his on-off deployment to Iraq.

MoD takes flak for Harry's limbo over Iraq service | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited

"It would have been less of a risk had Prince Harry joined the Royal Navy or RAF, he said". Obviously he has no idea of the role the RAF play in Iraq, apart from the obvious one of flying!

Prince Harry in nightclub ban

PRINCE Harry has been dealt a second, devastating blow after being blocked from fighting in Iraq: the party-loving prince has now been banned from going to nightclubs.

Prince Harry in nightclub ban | The Daily Telegraph

Harry was to use Landrover

Had he been allowed to go to Iraq, Britain's Prince Harry would have been tasked with the responsibility of trapping insurgent smugglers on the Iraq-Iran border.
According to The Sun, Prince Harry would have been travelling in an unarmoured and open Land Rover while undertaking the high-risk operation in lawless Maysan Province.

Guess what, the Sun got it wrong, so much for their source on this occasion!

HARRY WOULD HAVE BEEN THE LAST MAN STANDING
Old 05-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Personally, I am relieved that he will not be going. Life can be capricious (sp?). He's only one heartbeat from being the heir. I do think that it was short sighted of all involved, not to think it through before he was allowed to go down the military route. The country was at war when he enlisted.It should not have come as a surprise that he might be deployed into combat.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Royals at war

The decision not to send Prince Harry to Iraq has to be seen through the prism of the long history of royal service in wars, says military historian Peter Caddick-Adams.

BBC NEWS | Magazine | Royals at war

Prince Harry may serve in Sierra Leone

MILITARY chiefs may send Prince Harry to Sierra Leone as compensation for him missing out on active service in Iraq.
Army bosses believe the third in line to the throne could do a valuable job in the war-torn West African country without putting himself and his fellow troops in danger

Edinburgh Evening News - Prince Harry may serve in Sierra Leone

Which paper will have an exclusive tomorrow sending him somewhere else, resigning, sulking, relieved etc, etc!
Old 05-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Courtier

Army commanders mull secret war role for Prince Harry

Well, there is more speculation about the Prince. From Sierra Leone to now the Prince in a secret war role (a little bit of my own speculation as well).

Army commanders mull secret war role for Prince Harry

LONDON: Army chiefs want to find a way of letting Prince Harry fulfill his dream of seeing frontline action.
Desperate to repair the public relations disaster caused by the decision not to send him to Iraq, they are trying to find him a secret war role by switching him to another unit.

Gulf Times – Qatar’s top-selling English daily newspaper - Britain/Ireland

Old 05-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Question Umm. What?

Okay. Is it me or would Prince Harry been better off going to Iraq if this was the case?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Nobility

The MOD should be embarrassed for the way they handled the whole Harry fiasco. Hopefully they will think before they act next time.

Tags
prince harry