Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Current Events 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Delighted by the response of the crowd.... this couple is delightful !

I'm happy to see Meghan announce the engagement and immediately get to work...it gives me hope. Everyone is talking about it being a successful engagement and I just have to wonder has there ever been any unsuccessful first time engagements? If all the newly engaged have good first time outings then why would Meghan's be different?
I will say I liked the few American flags; makes me think they accept her.

I think it’s pretty hard to be unsuccessful. However, this was above and beyond any expectation. What’s more is that she hit the ground running. Every royal commentator and correspondent we’ve heard from has said how this was just a big hit. And most mentioned this is even more impressive considering her engagement was only announced 4 days ago.

After such a long time of being seclusive and building on their relationship with each other, the time has come that where the ducks are all in a row and its time to step forward into the limelight of the public life that they'll most likely have for the rest of their lives and they both were ready, willing and able to do so.

Harry didn't stick to Meghan like glue nor did Meghan mind him not doing so. They were there with a purpose and they each went about meeting and greeting the crowd rather than solely focus on each other. They were together, which was obvious by the little intimate gestures (they reminded me of Victoria and Daniel) but yet it was the people they focused on. This is a couple that will work wonderfully together as a team. Together but still maintaining their individuality.

It was purely a royal engagement by a future Duke and Duchess of the UK and they did Harry's grandmother proud.

All of the twitter comments from the royal watcher I follow were impressed with them/her today. She did not disappoint and for some exceeded expectations.

LaRae

This was a great first engagement. Looking forward to their next one.

I'm happy to see Meghan announce the engagement and immediately get to work...it gives me hope. Everyone is talking about it being a successful engagement and I just have to wonder has there ever been any unsuccessful first time engagements? If all the newly engaged have good first time outings then why would Meghan's be different?
I will say I liked the few American flags; makes me think they accept her.

No, I don't recall there ever being an unsuccessful first time engagement (at least not recently). They've all been pretty much the exact same. Large enthusiastic crowds and tons of praise from the media and royal fans.

This is one very smart couple, they know exactly what they are doing. Now that they have gotten to the point of wanting a marriage and are headed down the aisle, these type of events are going to be the icing on the cake for all us here. With Meghan's background of being an actress and on TV for years and on the red carpet there is no doubt in my mind that she will be a great success to the firm. She knows all the ins and outs of handling the crowds and the people, it is second nature to her now and of course with the help of Harry and the Cambridge's we can expect the very same for now on out.

This is one very intelligent, strong and wise young lady here, and Harry better take darn good care of her for together they will be a very strong presence in the future of the royal family.

AFAIK, one of Harry's great-great-grondmothers was American, so he has also a 1/16 of American blood in his veins.:D

Harry is also 3rd cousins with American actor, Oliver Platt who plays Dr. Daniel Charles in the Chicago Med TV show. They share the same ancestor in James Boothby Burke Roche, Harry's great great grandfather.

Wonder if he'll get an invitation to the wedding :D

CC 1/12

As per usual BRF rules, Meghan is not mentioned.

Kensington Palace
1st December, 2017
Prince Henry of Wales this morning met members of the public outside the National Justice Museum, Nottingham, and was received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Nottinghamshire (Sir John Peace).

His Royal Highness afterwards visited the Terrence Higgins Trust’s charities fair for World Aids Day at the Contemporary Exhibition Centre, Weekday Cross, Nottingham.

Prince Henry of Wales this afternoon visited members of staff and students from the Full Effect Project at Nottingham Academy, Ransom Drive, Mapperley, Nottingham.

Meghan and Harry today: WOW, absolutely stellar! What total stars. I mean we have known Harry is a star for a while, but man is he absolutely shining with Meghan by his side. He hasn't looked this happy in a while. This is the Harry I love royal watching. He both looked good (totally had a swagger going with him and he should let Meghan dress him more lol), but also had the twinkle back in his eye I felt was missing for the past 2-3 years. I think it took a toll on him to have to keep his relationship so under wraps for the past 1.5 years. Now, he can have a true partner in crime by his side.

Meghan: YAS GURL! You came through! She was perfect. Warm, witty, engaging, thoughtful with the crowd (giving her handwarmer to a cold royal watcher?? So nice). She and Harry vibed well together. I was also thrilled to see her go off on her own. She was holding back at first, but Harry kinda pushed her forward. I am glad to see Harry both so confident in himself and in her.

I have been smiling all day when I have gotten a chance to see pics or video in between trying to work lol. These two are such aa joy right now. I really hope Meghan can maintain that connect and joy with people and Harry. Other royals have struggled.

Fantastic first events for Meghan. :flowers:

No nerves showing, she really does seem comfortable already. You can see the affection between them in public. They will make a good pair in the years to come in their work, as well as homefront. She seems to have impressed not only those there, but the media and the commentators as well.

Definitely hit the ground running. Engaged Monday, first event Friday ?

Roya Nikkhah was at Nottingham covering the event today. Harry introduced her and Meghan. I remember we talked about how even the members of the royal family has their own favorites when it comes to royal correspondence. I definitely think she's one of the well liked ones too along with the likes of Camilla Tominey, Arthur Edwards, and Rhiannon Mills among others.

Btw, in all this goodness, I forgot to mention I really liked Harry's coat and shoes today. Especially the shoes. :lol:

Last edited:
I wouldn't say he introduced Meghan to her :ermm: They were doing a walkabout and they spoke to several people in the crowd right there. But I am sure by now they at least recognize the long time ones, and have some opinion of them.

BTW, is a walk about in four days really quick? From the sound of some commentators, it wasn't just a surprise that she attended a royal engagement this quickly, but even more surprised that there is a walk about this fast. I know Kate didn't attend her first engagement until more than a month after engagement announcement, but William didn't have that many engagements then either. What about Diana, Fergie, and Sophie?

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, is a walk about in four days really quick? From the sound of some commentators, it wasn't just a surprise that she attended a royal engagement this quickly, but even more surprised that there is a walk about this fast. I know Kate didn't attend her first engagement until more than a month after engagement announcement, but William didn't have that many engagements then either. What about Diana, Fergie, and Sophie?

I think considering Meghan has just moved to the country what two weeks ago, and then announced her engagement on Monday, yes four days seems quick turn around for many. Unlike Kate, Sophie, Camilla and Fergie, she didn't simply have the new role as fiancé to settle into.

Charles and Diana's first was an engagement at Goldsmith's hall March 9. The engagement had been announced on February 24, so just short of two weeks earlier.

https://princessdianabookboutique.w...ldsmiths-hall-in-that-lbd-little-black-dress/

I wouldn't say he introduced Meghan to her :ermm: They were doing a walkabout and they spoke to several people in the crowd right there. But I am sure by now they at least recognize the long time ones, and have some opinion of them.

I would say that last part where he said "Roya Meghan, Meghan Roya" (or was it the other way around) is sufficient for an introduction.

I agree that she was thrown into the deep end pretty quick. I am earnestly glad that it was seen as a rousing success, but I do think they need to be judicious in how much exposure Meghan gets. They'll wear her out. What I wouldn't give to be a birdie in Meghan's mind regarding everything that is happening to her. :cool:

I agree that she was thrown into the deep end pretty quick. I am earnestly glad that it was seen as a rousing success, but I do think they need to be judicious in how much exposure Meghan gets. They'll wear her out. What I wouldn't give to be a birdie in Meghan's mind regarding everything that is happening to her. :cool:

I don't expect her to be a regular on the engagement scene, but this is a woman who has regularly had ridiculous working hours for the last 7 years. She'll go to a few carefully selected ones in different locations. She's not scheduled to go to Harry's engagement on Monday. Besides, December and January tend to be slow engagement months. We'll probably see her at some of the royal family stuff for the holiday like Queen's Christmas luncheon, but I'm be surprised if we get more than one engagement between now and end of January. She's got plenty of other things to do. They did also say that she still plans to travel some to see family and friends. So, she won't even be in UK at times.

Lady Nimue:

None of us really know it she was ask or given a choice of going with Harry or not. I really don't think she was *thrown* into the deep end pretty quick. I think that Harry being as considerate as he is in showing regard and love for her and to her would sit down with her and they would decide if this was the right time for her to go on a walk about and visit other places with him.

I see Meghan wanting to jump right in and even in some small way want to prove right off the bat that she is willing and able to work with Harry and do the job. This is not someone who sits back and waits...........she goes right out there and grabs the opportunities that are presented to her and runs with it. Sure there are nerves at times yet given how she has handled her life this far, she can and does conqueror those nerves. To me she is a go-getter full of life and ready to take it on with Harry at her side.?

I think it was the fastest walkabout but Meghan and Harry are older than the others were with experience albeit in different areas.

I think the decision to jump in was theirs and theirs alone and I have to admit I was initially blown away by the sheer noise and number of police officers prior to their arrival. During the walkabout, I watched them come together, touch a hand or put a hand on an arm or back and then part back into the fray.

That touch and go process was repeated again and again and I think Harry was letting her know he was there and she was letting him know she was doing okay and when they looked at each other they had no filters on. I hope they never do because it is wonderful to see people share such happiness.

So happy for them, great to see such enthusiasm especially the USA flags. Harry really deserves a wonderful soul mate after losing his mum so young. This has to be extremely healing for his mental health.

Anyone seen the funny cover of 'Private Eye' magazine about the royal engagement? There are 4 funny pictures, but the funniest one has a speech bubble with Harry saying to Meghan 'Any embarrassing nude photos?' And Meghan replies 'Only of you in Vegas.' Love it lol!

Btw my sister lives in Nottingham. It's good that for Meghan's first royal walkabout she was in a city that she's bound to have heard of, due to Robin Hood films etc.

I think it was the fastest walkabout but Meghan and Harry are older than the others were with experience albeit in different areas.

I think the decision to jump in was theirs and theirs alone and I have to admit I was initially blown away by the sheer noise and number of police officers prior to their arrival. During the walkabout, I watched them come together, touch a hand or put a hand on an arm or back and then part back into the fray.

That touch and go process was repeated again and again and I think Harry was letting her know he was there and she was letting him know she was doing okay and when they looked at each other they had no filters on. I hope they never do because it is wonderful to see people share such happiness.

I think they were out for at least 20 min or so...I was watching a live feed.

LaRae

:previous: I think the 'fastest' refers to how soon after the engagement - not the duration of the walkabout (although that was my first thought as well).

Meghan Markle is presented with flowers as her and Prince Harry meet... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Did anyone else catch this yesterday? Around 1:11 we see Harry get after a reporter and block his access to Meghan (saying something like That's enough of that)..then the bodyguard has an exchange with the photographer.

It's nice to see that protective nature.

LaRae

:previous: I think the 'fastest' refers to how soon after the engagement - not the duration of the walkabout (although that was my first thought as well).

Oh duh! Sorry!

LaRae

Meghan Markle is presented with flowers as her and Prince Harry meet... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Did anyone else catch this yesterday? Around 1:11 we see Harry get after a reporter and block his access to Meghan (saying something like That's enough of that)..then the bodyguard has an exchange with the photographer.

LaRae

Yeah, these young royal don’t play around with these photographers. Harry will protect his wife.

LaRae

Harry knows exactly what his mother felt when photogs got too heavy handed. He is going to be very assertive with the press if he sees them going beyond what he thinks is reasonable. Good for him.

LaRae

Thanks for sharing this . Some of the footage gives what i would call the other side . That is we are in the crowd with the cameras . It really is quite obtrusive , how some of the long lenses get so close. Harry is right to be protective :eek::eek:

LaRae

That was nice to see. The photographers can get too rowdy, and Harry's not afraid to call them out on it. Then he decided to block the photographer from getting to Meghan. Loved it.

It sets a good precedent too. Harry has left the media in no doubt. They’ll be accessible and they’ll be fair in what they give but there’s a line and he won’t have it crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom