The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 03:46 AM
Moderator Emeritus

RICHARD KAY: Andy puts pal before the Masters | Mail Online

in a sign that he has, perhaps, taken on board the jibes, the Duke of York surprisingly eschewed a trip to the Masters Tournament at the Augusta National Golf Club in Georgia over the weekend, in favour of paying tribute to an old friend.

In a sign that he has, perhaps, taken on board the jibes, the Duke of York surprisingly eschewed a trip to the Masters Tournament at the Augusta National Golf Club in Georgia over the weekend, in favour of paying tribute to an old friend.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Prince Andrew has been on a two-day-visit to Italy on April
13 and 14, 2010. No pics of day 1, but at least some of day 2:

Prince Andrew, Duke of York attends a press conference with the
General Manager of Expo 2015 Lucio Stanca held at Palazzo Reale
on April 14, 2010 in Milan, Italy.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gettyimages **

In his role as Special Representative for International Trade and
Investment Prince Andrew will visit the Republic of Turkmenistan
tomorrow, April 15, and afterwards he'll continue his journey to
the Republic of Kazakhstan where he'll stay for several days.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Commoner

He continue being the most handsome and attraging of all the siblings. He are aging better than the prince Charles. He continues having hair.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaelena View Post
He continue being the most handsome and attraging of all the siblings. He are aging better than the prince Charles. He continues having hair.
He's the spare not the heir which means he gets to keep his hair. (I didn't mean to rhyme it originally, it just happened ) Look at Harry (his name being a pun considering the conversation) and William. Must suck when your little brother can say, "I went to WAR and I still have more hair than you!"
Old 04-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

thanks Iceflower, Andrew seems to be busy with his Trade role lately.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Majesty

I agree. He's a very handsome man, like the prince in a fairy tale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaelena View Post
Old 04-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

He really is incredibly attractive, even for a man of 50. I do agree, his siblings haven't aged well at all -- when Anne was younger, she was a beautiful woman.....now, well let's say she looks very much like a Windsor.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Serene Highness

Andrew just looks the part of the handsome prince somehow. As for his siblings, Sarah does say she married "the best-looking one of the lot"!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereta View Post
thanks Iceflower, Andrew seems to be busy with his Trade role lately.
Indeed he is busy, I just don't see the results of what he is doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
when Anne was younger, she was a beautiful woman.....now, well let's say she looks very much like a Windsor.
I'd say she looks more Tudor than Windsor, a la QEI. And though she doesn't seem to keep herself up, she's still a hell of a woman!
Old 04-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Prince Andrew in hot water after accepting use of £1m Abu Dhabi villa | Mail Online

Prince Andrew has come under fire for accepting the use of a £1million golfing and holiday villa in Abu Dhabi.

The oil-rich Gulf nation's royal rulers gave him free run of the four-bedroom townhouse inside their personal compound last year.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Indeed he is busy, I just don't see the results of what he is doing.
And then stories like what Wbenson just posted pop up. . .
Old 04-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Majesty

He's a royal person staying in a royal person's property. If he were doing business in Denmark or Spain and staying in a royal property there, would there be so much of an issue? Isn't there also criticism when he and his entourage stay in a hotel and incurr expenses there? An argument could be made that he's saving tax-payers money by taking advantage of local hospitality.

That the criticism comes from a republican source is also telling.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

It would also cut down on security as the local royals compound would have excellent security.
You are right - if he stayed at the royal palace in Denmark there would be no criticism but staying in the royal compound in an Arabian state causes this sort of report.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:59 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think the article is going to the point of criticizing Andrew for staying as a guest at a royal person's property. It seems to be suggesting that he's been given the property flat-out rather than just using it occasionally. Buckingham Palace however has apparently denied that:

I think that Andrew does have to be careful, because the countries he deals with are mostly oil-rich Middle Eastern and Eastern European countries that aren't necessarily friendly to the West. They seem very happy to do Andrew favours (eg. the purchase of Sunninghill, by a Kazakh businessman, for much more than the asking price) but I doubt all those favours come without an expectation that Andrew will do something in return. The problem is that if Andrew does some of these countries favours in exchange for their hospitality...even if it's something as simple as encouraging British businesses to invest in their economies...he could find himself in trouble if the political goals of those countries take a nasty turn. Many of the countries he deals with aren't fully democratic and are sometimes guilty of abusing human rights or even being training sites for terrorists.

For example I saw an article about Andrew's recent visit to the Ukraine, where he said he wholeheartedly supports Ukraine's reforms and is going to try to get British business to invest in their economy. But the comments on the article, by Ukrainians, were along the lines of "why would British businesses invest in a country where our freedoms are being slowly taken away again?"

I think I'm going a little off-topic. I don't necessarily agree with the article when it says that Andrew is doing something wrong by staying in the Abu Dhabi villa, but I do see the pitfalls of his role.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Heir Apparent

PA spends an awful lot of time in Arab countries and in Gogo/Gaga's country though I don't see any results. So, IMO, It makes him appeared "owned". And that isn't good.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:52 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Just what I was thinking, bad move IMO.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

He spends time there because that is where the government sends him to do the job he is doing. They know that these Arab countries will do business with a fellow royal far better than an ordinary citizen. They can talk on the same level. That is a major reason why the government wants a royal in that position - to talk to other royals about doing business in their country.

It is all very well for republics to send untitled people but for a monarchy a royal will be more successful.

There is no evidence that Andrew is 'owned' by the Arabs but more that he respects them and is respected by them. It is a major part of Arab culture to offer hospitality even if the offerer really can't afford it (although that isn't the case here) and is seen as very insulting to not accept that hospitality when offered.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Majesty

This is true, Iluvbertie. I remember hearing years ago that Arabs are very, very hospitable.
These countries are run by their royal families. A person has work with them in order to win contracts.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:08 AM
Administrator

HRH Prince Andrew, the Duke of York opened the first Vietnamese
art gallery 'The Apricot Gallery', London, Britain - 27 April 2010

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** gallery **
Old 04-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

There is no evidence that Andrew is 'owned' by the Arabs but more that he respects them and is respected by them. It is a major part of Arab culture to offer hospitality even if the offerer really can't afford it (although that isn't the case here) and is seen as very insulting to not accept that hospitality when offered.
I meant that he spends an awful lot of time in Gogo-Gaga's country where somebody from there bought SouthYork --you remember--for that abomidible sum that it wasn't worth, so, to me, that appeared that he was "owned".