Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 4: September 2008-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you have hit the nail on the head - the people in the know knew the Duke of Kent was doing it and thought then and obviously still do, that having a royal do it is the way to go.
Andrew's higher profile with the public now means that they are aware of the job as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info, I never knew that Duke of Kent held that position before Prince Andrew, I wonder how many people do know

Thank for the info, I never knew that Duke of Kent held that position before Prince Andrew, I wonder how many people do know

Not me! (Actually now that it was mentioned I think I did read that before, but it certainly didn't stay in my memory.)

I wonder how many people complained about the Duke of Kent wasting taxpayer dollars?

... edited ... Of course the government must feel that having a royal in this position is a good idea as the Duke of Kent had the position before Prince Andrew was given that position so the royals have held it for awhile.
IIR it was a job invented for the Duke of Kent and seems to have been general knowledge in Braitain, Andrew then took over in 2001. The main difference, I understand, is that Edward conducted most of his work from his office, which meant less cost to the taxpayer and yes, many people probably did complain.

Not me! (Actually now that it was mentioned I think I did read that before, but it certainly didn't stay in my memory.)

I wonder how many people complained about the Duke of Kent wasting taxpayer dollars?
I for one think that times have changed and the way of doing business have changed as well. Duke of Kent did international work during times, when British mass media outlets and people held the royal family in more esteem. Today a fair number of people has become increasingly frustrated with very irresponsible actions of greedy businessmen. Public people exist under the scrutiny 24/7. Media feeds information to sway public opinion in the direction it wants. Although modern means of communication have made it possible to conduct business without physically leaving an office nowadays, Prince Andrew has to meet certain parties in person.
By the way, I was suspired to learn that originally the position was created for Duke of Kent. I was sure that it was created for Prince Andrew.

The Duke of York visited Ulster, September 17, 2009.
Here are some pics of him at the Whitehead boat club.

Pic 1 is the typical nice Prince-Andrew-shot :)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **

Of course the government must feel that having a royal in this position is a good idea as the Duke of Kent had the position before Prince Andrew was given that position so the royals have held it for awhile.
Did not know that! Thanks! :flowers:
How long has this position been around? Do you know by chance?

Thank you for these, iceflower. I especially like Pic 2 ; it's always nice to see Prince Andrew with children.:flowers:

Did not know that! Thanks! :flowers:
How long has this position been around? Do you know by chance?
The Duke of Kent was the first Royal incumbent of the position, AFAIK. :flowers:

Thank you for these, iceflower. I especially like Pic 2 ; it's always nice to see Prince Andrew with children.:flowers:

You're welcome, Mermaid1962 :flowers: And I totally agree with
you, he has a very nice and special behaviour towards children,
not too exaggerated, still a bit distanced and respectful and
very kind and interested :)

Here are pics from last night, the paparazzi are always around:

Prince Andrew leaving Annabels, London, September 18, 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Another thing I like about Prince Andrew is that he always leaves nightspots looking sober.:)

I think that you've got something there, Dierna23. Mountbatten was square-jawed as well.

Its probably only me, but the older Andrew gets, the more I see a resemblence to Lord Mountbatten in him.

repeat

:previous:
A Prince's mistress,that's definitely a much better role for our Angie ;) I remember her back in her modelling years with Sylvester Stallone,now it seems Cinderella grew up and takes her new role more seriously.Who would have thought of that :whistling: But the baby is a real cutie,I'm not surprised he's not Andrew's...

The heavy underlying hints of Sarah in that article make me believe even more that he still loves her. I like Angie i really do, and i can believe she's telling the truth when she says their good friends. I just don't like the control Sarah seems to still have on Andrew. :whistling::ermm:

The heavy underlying hints of Sarah in that article make me believe even more that he still loves her. I like Angie i really do, and i can believe she's telling the truth when she says their good friends. I just don't like the control Sarah seems to still have on Andrew. :whistling::ermm:

Why does it have to be that Andrew is "controlled by" Sarah? Or, like I often hear, that Sarah is "using" her relationship with Andrew in order to keep her royal connections? Maybe Andrew and Sarah have maintained a close relationship with each other because they truly care about each other.

I don't see why it's so awful if Andrew still loves Sarah--it's just sad because Sarah, as much as I like her, does not fit with the royal family. I do think it's interesting that Andrew "likes redheads" and Angie looks like she's a fairly spirited and frank person--not unlike Sarah. I wonder if redheads were Andrew's "type" before he met Sarah, because I don't remember hearing of him dating any other redheaded girls. Even though I'm sure he cared about Angie as an individual, in some ways I feel like Andrew was attracted to Angie because she reminded him of Sarah, and he could have the romantic relationship with her that he couldn't with Sarah. I do think that if what Angie said is true, as long as Andrew keeps telling his dates that Sarah and his daughters come first in his life, he will never remarry.

.... as long as Andrew keeps telling his dates that Sarah and his daughters come first in his life, he will never remarry.
How wonderful for a 'date' to hear, 'you're OK to take out to dinner and possibly bed, but my ex wife will always take preference', that is just creepy!:eek:

Prince Andrew is in Singapore at the moment.

He has called on Singapore President S R Nathan and
Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong.
In his role as UK’s Special Representative for International
Trade and Investment, he's on a five-day working visit to
Singapore from 29 September to 3 October during a three-
country visit to Southeast Asia, taking in Singapore, Vietnam
and Thailand.

Both sides explored opportunities to increase economic
cooperation.

Here's a little ----> Pic.

Last edited:
Pics 5.10.2009

The second part of the travel has started, Prince Andrew
now is in Vietnam:

Prince Andrew shakes hands with Vietnamese Minister for
Planning and Investment, Vo Hong Phuc, at the government's
guest house in Hanoi on October 5, 2009.
During his two-day trip, the prince is to meet Prime Minister
Nguyen Tan Dung and other officials, and visit Vietnamese
and British businesses including Rolls-Royce and HSBC, UK
Trade and Investment.

Andrew has made three previous visits to Vietnam in 1999,
2006 and 2008.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga 1 ** belga 2 **

Re: Pic 2 it's unusual seeing flowers being presented to a male. Nice. Thanks for keeping us updated on Prince Andrew, iceflower.:flowers:

And speaking of which, what do they (the Royals) do with flowers they are given when they are traveling? You can't pack them all with you! :D

And speaking of which, what do they (the Royals) do with flowers they are given when they are traveling? You can't pack them all with you! :D

Keep them in the hotels they are staying in or give them to local hospitals possible. :flowers:

Pics 7.10.2009

Re: Pic 2; it's unusual seeing flowers being presented to a male. Nice. Thanks for keeping us updated on Prince Andrew, iceflower.:flowers:

You're welcome :flowers: I've had the same impression lately when both
CP Mette-Marit AND CP Haakon were presented with flowers at an
event, it looked funny, but nevertheless it's nice and emancipatory! :)

Now Prince Andrew has started the third and last part of the journey,
he's in Thailand now:

Prince Andrew meets Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva at the Government
House in Bangkok October 7, 2009. Prince Andrew is on a five-day visit to
Thailand to attend the Thailand-UK Joint Economic and Trade Committee.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

I know they provide interpretors when needed, but does anybody know how many languages Prince Andrew speaks?

I know they provide interpretors when needed, but does anybody know how many languages Prince Andrew speaks?

I don't know, but you might be surprised at how many well-educated people in foreign countries speak English almost perfectly. I run into people fairly often who've come from other countries to work or study in Canada, and it makes me feel embarrassed about my own language abilities to see how well they speak English, plus three or four other languages!

:previous: It doesn't surprise me, Uncle Menilio's bed and breakfast on Lake Como is run by his kids and they speak 4 languages: English, Italian, French and German. Back in the day, Vicky, Empress Frederick, spoke 3 languages by the time she was 5. I was wondering if the RF kept it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom