Prince and Princess Michael of Kent Current Events 3: March-September 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think she's deranged, but she must certainly be deluded if she thinks Prince Michael is going to leave his wife for her, especially now she's talked to the press.

Elspeth said:
Well, that's her opinion of Princess Margaret's reasons, which isn't necessarily the same thing as Princess Margaret's actual reasons. If Princess Margaret didn't leave anything in writing along the lines of "that Catholic woman next door actually expects me to speak with her!" we don't know for certain why she behaved the way she did. She was reportedly very protective of the Queen, and it's been reported that the Queen didn't think much of Princess Michael because of her ostentatious royalness and high profile.
According to ppl who were around at the time of the Michaels' wedding, Margaret didn't like the fact that MC's Catholicism would highlight the discrimination against Catholics inherent in the monarchy. She reportedly urged MC to convert before the wedding (she could always convert back right afterwards) so that Michael wouldn't lose his place in line. Kate Kent's conversion didn't affect the line of succession and didn't bring with in the highlighting of the anti-Catholic sentiment inherent in the Act of Settlement, so I don't think it bothered Margaret as much.

Well, the sheer fact that a person would have to convert in order to prevent their spouse being kicked out of the line of succession would have highlighted the discrimination every bit as much as refusing to convert and having it happen, I'd have thought.

It would have created some storm, but not as much as MC running around crying about the family hating her because she's Catholic does. MC constantly complains to the press that her husband was turfed out because of her faith, even as she refuses to acknowledge that (1), he knew the consequences, and (2), she could have converted. She uses his lack of a place in line as a stick to beat the monarchy, even as she fails to realise her own behavior is even more of a stick to attack the Windsors with.

May I go back to the topic of the Kent's country mansion, that they recently sold?
I just don't understand why they sold it; especially as they might well be kicked out of their Kensington Palace apartment in a few years, which they live in for next to nothing, as people have said. Perhaps they sold their country house so they can purchase themselves a pad in expensive London for when they have to leave KP?

They had initially intended to sell the house to Freddie and use that money to fund their retirements while they lived in KP. The house was the only way they could fund their retirements, so they decided to sell that house and eventually buy a smaller one and use whatever's left to fund their retirements.

Im starting to think that a Divorce is in the cards for these 2 (very soon 3 years or less)

Princess Michael said she was going to leave the country if Parliament passed the hunting ban, so she may be killing two birds with one stone and selling the house to live more cheaply somewhere in Europe.

I doubt they'd divorce. I don't see what advantage there is for her in divorcing; I don't think she'd exchange her HRH for life with a wealthy commoner, although I may be mistaken. Assuming the prince doesn't have plans to marry this lady who's just got through spilling it all to the press, there's little advantage for him to divorce either.

I also think there will be no divorce. Princess Michael seems to loooooove being royal and would have to give up all that priviledge, living in a royal palace and never mention all the jewels she wouldn't have access to any longer. Besides, she and Prince Michael seem to enjoy each other's company and if they have an "understanding" in regard to their marriage, that really isn't anybody else's business.
I have to say that I am so tired of these kiss and tellers that can't keep their mouths shut for the life of them. For heaven's sake, have a little dignity and if you can't keep quiet for the sake of your own position, think about the kids of these royals that you are having affairs with. Nicholas and Gabriella may be adults now but it must still hurt to hear these things about your parents.
Sheesh!

kelly9480 said:
They had initially intended to sell the house to Freddie and use that money to fund their retirements while they lived in KP. The house was the only way they could fund their retirements, so they decided to sell that house and eventually buy a smaller one and use whatever's left to fund their retirements.
Makes sense. Selling it to Freddie doesn't though: if his parents don't have any spare dough, how would he? His columns for Tatler Magazine are hardly a gold mine. Sure he dabbled in modeling a while back, but I gather those days are over.

Elspeth said:
Princess Michael said she was going to leave the country if Parliament passed the hunting ban, so she may be killing two birds with one stone and selling the house to live more cheaply somewhere in Europe.
Interesting. Maybe a romantic Dacha for her and her..ok I'm conjecturing here! ;)

Elspeth said:
I doubt they'd divorce. I don't see what advantage there is for her in divorcing; I don't think she'd exchange her HRH for life with a wealthy commoner, although I may be mistaken. Assuming the prince doesn't have plans to marry this lady who's just got through spilling it all to the press, there's little advantage for him to divorce either.
Couldn't agree more. Princess Michael loves being in the limelight and the attention and, yes, admiration that belonging to the upper echelons of the upper class in Britain offers her

Last edited:
Royal Fan said:
Im starting to think that a Divorce is in the cards for these 2 (very soon 3 years or less)
I seriously doubt they will divorce. Prince and Princess Michael of Kent are from the old generation of royalty, that just sticks it out in the marriage, no matter how tough or bad it gets. I don't think the lady who sold her story is deranged, maybe Prince Michael decided to end things with her or moved on to another mistress and she probably feels wronged and decided to spill the beans.

I think the lover was outed by one of the tabloids. Maybe she figured that if she gave her side of the story it'd stop the tabloids just making things up. They can be pretty brutal with people who don't cooperate.

princess olga said:
Makes sense. Selling it to Freddie doesn't though: if his parents don't have any spare dough, how would he? His columns for Tatler Magazine are hardly a gold mine. Sure he dabbled in modeling a while back, but I gather those days are over.
Freddie's studying to be a lawyer. They were planning to sell it to him once he'd gotten into his career (IIRC, they expected to sell it around 15-20 years from now).

princess olga said:
May I go back to the topic of the Kent's country mansion, that they recently sold?
I just don't understand why they sold it; especially as they might well be kicked out of their Kensington Palace apartment in a few years, which they live in for next to nothing, as people have said. Perhaps they sold their country house so they can purchase themselves a pad in expensive London for when they have to leave KP?

As you say, they are going to lose their accomodation at KP. I think they sold the house to purchase a smaller cheaper one, in a more central area (possibly so she can entertain more sheiks.:D ). I thought they have been cut from the civil list as well, so money must be (for them) very tight!

I don't think they were ever on the civil list, Skydragon, because the Queen didn't call on them to perform official duties. The Dukes of Gloucester and Kent (and their spouses) and Princess Alexandra were getting civil list income until the reorganisation a few years ago that chucked all the junior royals off the list, at which point it was said that the Queen reimbursed them herself when they undertook public engagements. But the Michaels weren't on the civil list (hence all his directorships and marketing schemes and her books), so I don't think anything's changed recently in their financial affairs.

I think the lover was outed by one of the tabloids. Maybe she figured that if she gave her side of the story it'd stop the tabloids just making things up. They can be pretty brutal with people who don't cooperate.-Elspeth

I don't think she can really justify herself with that excuse. She was mentioned in one column of one downmarket British tabloid as POSSIBLY being his mistress a couple of weeks ago. It was a sort of blink and you'll miss it report so she was hardly in the eye of a major media storm. I also think that liaisons are so common among the British upper classes that it dosn't always represent a major problem in that marraige the way it might for other people. Someone mentioned how well the Prince and Princess seem to get on and I think they really love each other. Prince Phillip, for example, has been strongly linked to other women over the years and even if some of these rumours have been true I don't think it means that he loved the Queen any less and that they didn't have a happy marraige it just seems to be something that goes on in those circles and is accepted.

Last edited:
zanychick3000 said:
I seriously doubt they will divorce. Prince and Princess Michael of Kent are from the old generation of royalty, that just sticks it out in the marriage, no matter how tough or bad it gets.

There is such a generation?! I think we've seen enough divorces in the British Royal family to know that anything is possible.

I don't think their lack of divorce has anything to do with tradition- I think it has everything to do with money. The Princess, in particular, is not terribly employable without her royal connections. She can't afford her preferred lifestyle without her title.

Eliza

If the Prince wanted to divorce her he could no matter what she wanted. And as for not being able to use her title after a divorce I'm afraid she could. The Duchess of York hasn't done too badly and the Princess would retain her title whilst losing her HRH. But as I said I think there is still a lot of affection there and the marraige will survive.

the way how princess michael tries to grab attention is rather amusing, come to think of it.

james said:
If the Prince wanted to divorce her he could no matter what she wanted. And as for not being able to use her title after a divorce I'm afraid she could. The Duchess of York hasn't done too badly and the Princess would retain her title whilst losing her HRH. But as I said I think there is still a lot of affection there and the marraige will survive.

Good point. But don't you think that this title becomes nearly meaningless if Princess Michael is no longer married to Prince Michael?!

Affection? I guess only those two know for sure. While I could talk at length about the emotional and physical motivations behind why people have affairs... I won't! I just really think that if there truly is enough affection between any two people, there's usually no reason to seek it elsewhere. If things were truly OK, I really think these affairs would not continue occuring (on both sides, so it seems).

Maybe the expectations of a British Royal marriage are just beyond my understanding! Affairs seem to be a completely normalised occurance.

Eliza

May 31, 2006
Princess Michael of Kent opens the Mall Galleries "The Society of Women Artists"
London

from facetoface

Attachments

• 00957136.jpg
    00957136.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 00957137.jpg
    00957137.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 00957138.jpg
    00957138.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 00957139.jpg
    00957139.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 158
The title is no less meaningless than that of a Duchess without a Duke. I must also say that I think she looks lovley in those pictures. She dosn't look under any strain at all.

Last edited:
MC never shows any strain, no matter how many scandals surround her. I have to admit I admire her ability to keep her head up, but I wish she'd stop getting into the scrapes in the first place. Michael also seems able to weather any storm. You have to wonder how their kids handle it all, though. It can't be easy to read about your parents' pecadillos in the press all the time, especially when your mother is the almost universally loathed Princess Michael.

I suppose if the Parker-Bowles kids (not to mention William and Harry) could live through the filth about their parents that they had to then anyone
can.

I like her. She looks beautiful. That's why Lady Gabriella are a gorgeous woman.

kelly9480 said:
MC never shows any strain, no matter how many scandals surround her.

Guess she's had plenty of practice, lol. Practice makes perfect. ;-))

Jang said:
I like her. She looks beautiful. That's why Lady Gabriella are a gorgeous woman.

I like her too, her flaws and all. She''s such a character and makes the RF ever-so-interesting.

kelly9480 said:
Margaret didn't like the fact that MC's Catholicism would highlight the discrimination against Catholics inherent in the monarchy. She reportedly urged MC to convert before the wedding (she could always convert back right afterwards) so that Michael wouldn't lose his place in line.

Intriguing. I hadn't even thought of that tactic, but obviously Pcss MoK would have none of that being the good Catholic gal she is :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom