The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 08:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

No, William has really stepped up this year for sure.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-25-2015, 06:01 AM
Heir Apparent

The grandson of the man treated for head injuries by the East Anglian Air Ambulance on Monday (November 23) has expressed his thanks to the medics and crew.

Quote:
Mr Bargate said: “I’d like to say thanks to Dr Chesters and CCP Spitzer and all the other ambulance and air ambulance crew, including Prince William, as well as the staff of Waitrose and the kind passer-by who called 999 for my grandad.

“He’s recovering well in hospital and we’re all very grateful for everyone who was there to help.”
Man thanks Prince William and East Anglian Air Ambulance crew for helping grandad in Saffron Walden - News - Saffron Walden Reporter

Old 11-25-2015, 06:20 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
So very many times, emergencies like what happened to Mr. Bargate's granddad, all the people that get involved and assist in aiding and preserving lives of those that require it, go without thanks and sometimes the patient never even finds out who they were. It is a thankless job most times where the true satisfaction lies in the knowing that one has helped to make a difference.

Many, many personnel will be on duty as we celebrate our holidays (I remember William while at RAF Anglesy and still single, worked the holiday so families could be together). All the more reason to not have too much jog in yer nog and drive, take caution instead of risks and maybe say a silent "thank you" for those that are at the ready should you need them.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:06 AM
Nobility

Taking into account William's air ambulance pilot job and growing family, William has done an impressive amount of royal work in the past few months IMO, however there was a time when he was doing little royal work and his other pursuits seemed sketchy to some, e.g., going to the Maldives at the same time he was enrolled in an intense 10 week agriculture course.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Taking into account William's air ambulance pilot job and growing family, William has done an impressive amount of royal work in the past few months IMO, however there was a time when he was doing little royal work and his other pursuits seemed sketchy to some, e.g., going to the Maldives at the same time he was enrolled in an intense 10 week agriculture course.
He graduated from the agricultural course and royal work is relative. He does more engagements than either Harry or Kate and the year of his course he did more engagements than this year, about 140.

Right now he's at around 120 official engagements and opinion polls show the public is more than happy with his performance.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:43 AM
Nobility

OK William did more royal work than his pregnant wife and his military enlisted brother but he did far less than his sexagenarian father, his octogenarian grandmother and nonagenarian grandfather.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:50 AM
Heir Apparent

His father is Prince of Wales, his grandmother is Head of State and his grandfather is her consort. I'd hope they're doing more than William but I realise you and not everyone on this forum likes William but as I stated he's very popular in the UK and at the end of the day this is what's important to his future.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
When I look at photos of William as he goes about doing his royal engagements and read of how he interacts with the people, I have to think that, for the most part, he's enjoying what he is doing. He has a happy balance now of home and family, a rewarding career that means something to him and is getting more and more comfortable with the royal side of his life which will remain with him for the rest of his life and only increase in responsibility.

I think also, perhaps, those sketchy times that the public has observed most likely have paid off in buckets. HM very well could have commanded William into full time royal duties and dismissed William's other interests but wisely allowed William to choose his own path after a period of being not sure of which fork in the road to go on, left him to his own devices to choose for himself. He has certainly found his own balance and is one happy husband, dad, public servant and prince. Priceless.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Back in April when William started flying for EAAA, YouGov asked this question -

Last year Prince William began training for a new job as an air ambulance pilot. Do you think he should continue working as a pilot, or should he concentrate full time upon his Royal duties?

He should concentrate full time upon his Royal duties? 10% agreed.

He should combine his Royal duties with his job as a pilot? 76% agreed.

Don't know? 14%.

----------------------------------------------

Clearly the public wants him working at something other than 'royal duties' full-time
Old 11-25-2015, 08:21 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
His father is Prince of Wales, his grandmother is Head of State and his grandfather is her consort. I'd hope they're doing more than William but I realise you and not everyone on this forum likes William but as I stated he's very popular in the UK and at the end of the day this is what's important to his future.
Sexagenarian Princess Anne is neither Prince of Wales, monarch nor consort and is several notches below her nephew in the line of succession and her numbers far exceeded her nephew's as well.

Admittedly I am not a William fangirl but when I lurk on other royal related web pages I shake my head at some of the negative comments made about William and his wife, nevertheless I think that he earned the work shy label, I'm not stating that it should be a permanent label and also note that I stated that William has done an impressive amount of royal work in the past few months.

I am more impressed that William has done 120 engagement thus far in 2015 than the 140 he did in 2014 because this year he is balancing his royal work with his EAAA job.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Sexagenarian Princess Anne is neither Prince of Wales, monarch nor consort and is several notches below her nephew in the line of succession and her numbers far exceeded her nephew's as well.

Admittedly I am not a William fangirl but when I lurk on other royal related web pages I shake my head at some of the negative comments made about William and his wife, nevertheless I think that he earned the work shy label, I'm not stating that it should be a permanent label and also note that I stated that William has done an impressive amount of royal work in the past few months.

I am more impressed that William has done 120 engagement thus far in 2015 than the 140 he did in 2014 because this year he is balancing his royal work with his EAAA job.
She's the Princess Royal and has been doing this for decades. Harry is also much closer to the throne than Anne and does considerably less royal work

William retired from the RAF in 2013 after almost 8 years service. You and I obviously have different definitions of work shy.

William's future subjects are happy with him and given you can't please everyone I think he's doing a brilliant job
Old 11-25-2015, 08:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
When I look at photos of William as he goes about doing his royal engagements and read of how he interacts with the people, I have to think that, for the most part, he's enjoying what he is doing. He has a happy balance now of home and family, a rewarding career that means something to him and is getting more and more comfortable with the royal side of his life which will remain with him for the rest of his life and only increase in responsibility.

I think also, perhaps, those sketchy times that the public has observed most likely have paid off in buckets. HM very well could have commanded William into full time royal duties and dismissed William's other interests but wisely allowed William to choose his own path after a period of being not sure of which fork in the road to go on, left him to his own devices to choose for himself. He has certainly found his own balance and is one happy husband, dad, public servant and prince. Priceless.
I agree especially the bolded part. My inkling is that William may have found his groove... time will tell.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:03 AM
Courtier

How being a search and rescue pilot is consider work shy is being me. That job is more important imo than the ribbon cutting that some royals often do.
When people talk about William being work shy b/c he's a search and rescue pilot, I think it insulting to all emergency personnel who works very stressful jobs
Old 11-25-2015, 09:13 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think that people want to "insult" the personell. It applies to William, as he will be a King one day. I think it is just a bit of skepticism over the fact he insists on working as an "ordinary" commoner... That's all. On a personal note, I think it is a improving step, as little as it may be though, that he seems now to have found a right balance between a job and his royal duties. I only hope he really knows that once he ascends the throne, or even when he is heir to the throne,he won't be able to compromise forever.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:31 AM
Heir Apparent

But lets think about it. The British monarchy is one of the most popular in the world, William is one of it's most popular members. Public opinion wants him working as both an air ambulance pilot and performing royal duties.

Now if I were William and given he isn't going to please everyone, I'd keep on doing what I'm doing. His critics will always be critics but thankfully they're in the minority.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
But lets think about it. The British monarchy is one of the most popular in the world, William is one of it's most popular members. Public opinion wants him working as both an air ambulance pilot and performing royal duties.

Now if I were William and given he isn't going to please everyone, I'd keep on doing what I'm doing. His critics will always be critics but thankfully they're in the minority.

Yes, but that doesn't mean that who think differently can't convey their opinions. After all, it is only an opinion. And William will always do as he pleases, not matter what everyone think of him. I only think that he can0t keep doing this forever and I am perplexed about his decision, but that's all. I just shared my view.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:25 AM
Royal Highness

The Queen is already at an advanced age, Prince Charles also no longer go again. Before long most royal duties will fall on William, Harry and Catherine, and they have to prepare for it. William has had more royal duties in recent times. He knows he can not work forever in the helicopter ambulance.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Majesty

Actually, in the long run, I see William's work with EAAA as a very positive thing in his relationship with people when time passes and he becomes The Prince of Wales (perhaps) and later on, King. Most people that follow the British Royal Family are very familiar with the Queen's war effort during WWII and the "ordinary" tasks she performed and she most certainly didn't stick to a princess mode 100%.

Over time, which do you think the public would embrace more? A king who, for his entire life, has worked for the Firm and doing charity work and seen as a privileged prince or a king that gave of his time and energies while he could to try and make a difference in people's lives when they needed it?

Makes me wonder too just how many children growing up see William and want to be an air ambulance pilot when they grow up or go into emergency services?

Just to add too that this in no way reflects on the current Prince of Wales as he has done a tremendous job creating his own niche in life and has helped thousands of people through his Prince's Trust and other endeavors.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
How being a search and rescue pilot is consider work shy is being me. That job is more important imo than the ribbon cutting that some royals often do.
When people talk about William being work shy b/c he's a search and rescue pilot, I think it insulting to all emergency personnel who works very stressful jobs

I so agree with you comment about it being very rude and insulting to call someone who works in that field, emergencies, hospitals, nurses, doctors and etc work shy all because they hold a title. PW could just sit back and do nothing for the rest of his life except cut ribbons to make some happy, he has become a strong young man who understands the need to balance his life with what makes him who he is today. I hope to see him continue with the job as a helicopter pilot for some years yet so that he can not just have time to watch and raise his children but so that he is more out there in the eyes of the public who will see him working not just as a royal but as a decent, caring, and compassionate human being. I so applaud this young man for how he has grown and handled his life!
Old 12-03-2015, 01:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Actually, in the long run, I see William's work with EAAA as a very positive thing in his relationship with people when time passes and he becomes The Prince of Wales (perhaps) and later on, King. Most people that follow the British Royal Family are very familiar with the Queen's war effort during WWII and the "ordinary" tasks she performed and she most certainly didn't stick to a princess mode 100%.

Over time, which do you think the public would embrace more? A king who, for his entire life, has worked for the Firm and doing charity work and seen as a privileged prince or a king that gave of his time and energies while he could to try and make a difference in people's lives when they needed it?

Makes me wonder too just how many children growing up see William and want to be an air ambulance pilot when they grow up or go into emergency services?

Just to add too that this in no way reflects on the current Prince of Wales as he has done a tremendous job creating his own niche in life and has helped thousands of people through his Prince's Trust and other endeavors.
Completely agree. I think having a "commoner" career, if only for a few years, will only benefit William as he grows in his royal role. I don't understand people who continue to diss, for lack of a better word, his work. It is a very important job and could contribute to William in understanding and caring about his subjects.