General News for the Cambridge Family 2: January 2015-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going through social media and their own website is a better way to connect with the people compare to relying on the tabloids who put their own spin on everything.

The print media is in decline yes. However, the BRF ignores the influence of the British tabloids at its peril. National newspapers like the Sun (average circulation 1,978,702 in Jan 2015) Daily Mail (1,688, 727 same date month) Daily Mirror (992,235 same date, month) Daily Express (457,914 same date month) and Daily Star (425,246 same date month) are often passed around households and reach far more people online than these figures suggest.

They are influential and help mould public opinion. The BRF wouldn't want a campaign against them by these newspapers. Nor are Internet sites notably favourable to the royals. The Cambridges ignoring the tabloids in favour of online sites has led at least partly to this, IMHO.

There are numbers of people in Britain who already call the young parttime royals, (the Cambridges and Harry), 'wastes of space' among other things. I've heard them, and they aren't all DM readers.

It's no good saying everything is fine and dandy and lovely and it's all the tabloids fault and the Cambridges have a right to a private life, yah de yah, when the relationship between the second in line to the throne and his wife and the most read newspapers in Britain is quite poisonous and the toxicity has been building up for some time. Wait until it really bursts, then!

:previous: I agree. It's no use blaming the tabloids and saying they are making up stories.

Fact: KP 1A was redecorated for William and his family. Millions spent on a massive renovation and redecoration and they use it as a pied-à-terre preferring to bury himself and family at Amner House playing wealthy country gentleman and hosting the in-laws.

Fact: When it was announced that William was leaving the RAF and taking a "gap" year people assumed he was getting his head around his destiny. Namely that of his father's heir! He didn't, next thing we know he's going to retrain and fly for one of the private rescue companies. Royal engagements would be few and far between. - So basically, nothing changes!

Fact: The notion, idea, intimation . . . whatever, that William doesn't really want to be a member of the Royal Family let alone an heir is resurfacing in several different places and not just the tabloids.

Fact: The accusation has been levelled that not only is he not pulling his weight with the BRF, but now his job with EAAA is getting the same treatment. - Now this is by far the most damaging accusation and needs to be addressed ASAP, either by refuting the charge if it is false and either a renewed commitment from William or a letter of resignation of it is true.

Basically, whichever way you look at, it this is appalling PR damage to the BRF and it will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Fact: KP 1A was redecorated for William and his family. Millions spent on a massive renovation and redecoration and they use it as a pied-à-terre preferring to bury himself and family at Amner House playing wealthy country gentleman and hosting the in-laws.

Fact: When it was announced that William was leaving the RAF and taking a "gap" year people assumed he was getting his head around his destiny. Namely that of his father's heir! He didn't, next thing we know he's going to retrain and fly for one of the private rescue companies. Royal engagements would be few and far between. - So basically, nothing changes!

I have an issue with some of your "facts". All redecorations were paid for privately. The public only paid structural repairs, which they would have done even if the Cambridges weren't living there, as the place was in bad condition, asbestos, electrical wiring from the 1950's, leaky roof. There's similar repair work going on at other palaces, I guess that's William's fault too.

You made that assumption that he would become a full-time royal. Nowhere did he claim that. So that's not a fact. He said he would be using the year to learn more about The Duchy of Cornwall, which he did. Hence, his course at Cambridge . The rest of the time was him exploring other career possibilities. He chose the EAA, and passed all the entry exams. He never had said he was done with flying helicopters, he quit the RAF because their SAR unit was becoming privatized. The last two years the SAR has been partially private and partially RAF during their transition stage. The transition is now complete. Once again, he was never going to become a full-time royal, Clarence House made that clear when they said the money isn't there for the younger trio to become full-timers.

I do get over hearing he's only the heir to the heir. The Queen could live another 10 or 15 years will we still be saying "oh he's only a part time royal because he's only the heir to the heir "

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I understand the confusion, whether I agree with it or not. They tell the people 'we can't afford them to be full time royals'. But who pays for them? William has made it clear he isn't taking pay for his job. Not that he could afford his lifestyle on his pay. Clearly he is getting money from his father and grandmother. If they can afford for him to not work, how much more expensive could it be to pay for him to work?? If there are some major expenses that put it out of the question, then perhaps need to clarify this. All people see is a couple who is living off tax money but not doing many royal duties.

Then there is the whole 'finding his new career'. Even if he was Will Jones, a man who is 33 still 'finding himself' when he is married with 2 kids, would be questioned by many. Finding a career? He is a Prince, that should be his career. If that is not possible, again something that needs to be clarified.

Then people look at the queen and DOE who are close to thirty years past when most people retire, still working hard and strong. Its natural questions would arise why Will doesn't step up and take some of the work load. The queen will not abdicate, that is obvious, but she doesn't need the work load she has. When a man who is 93 and obviously suffering major health issues, is doing more than twice the events as his 33 year old grandson, people will ask questions.

The royals need to realize it isn't simply tabloids. It is press and public asking these questions. In a time of recession, when people are struggling, paying for a 33 year old to 'find himself' in the country, may lead some people to wonder the real value. The time to bury their head in the sand and hope it passes over is done.

William at the very least needs to realize he cant simply hide his family. He doesn't want the press hounding them, then he needs to give access. Like other royal families do with kids. Other than her birth and christening, we have had what 3 photos of Charlotte? Even if they don't want to do press conferences like other royals, releasing photos more often would help. Bringing the kids out to the rare event, not having paps shoot photos when in a museum or polo match. It was commented that George was brought to events in Australia but not his own country. Right or wrong, these are concerns being voiced by the public and shouldn't be brushed off

Last edited:
I understand the confusion, whether I agree with it or not. They tell the people 'we can't afford them to be full time royals'. But who pays for them? William has made it clear he isn't taking pay for his job. Not that he could afford his lifestyle on his pay. Clearly he is getting money from his father and grandmother. If they can afford for him to not work, how much more expensive could it be to pay for him to work?? If there are some major expenses that put it out of the question, then perhaps need to clarify this. All people see is a couple who is living off tax money but not doing many royal duties.

Then there is the whole 'finding his new career'. Even if he was Will Jones, a man who is 33 still 'finding himself' when he is married with 2 kids, would be questioned by many. Finding a career? He is a Prince, that should be his career. If that is not possible, again something that needs to be clarified.

It was clarified. Some people on this site chose not to listen because they didn't like the answer. Here's a blurb from The Express 3 months before William retired from the RAF. It's includes a direct quote from William Nye.

But the heir to the throne may struggle to foot the growing bill if Prince William, Kate, and Prince Harry end up taking on much more royal work as the Queen and Prince Philip slow down.

Charles's principal private secretary William Nye conceded that his boss would have to look carefully at how much he could continue to fund the activities of the three younger royals in addition to his and Camilla's duties if the balance of work changed.

That may come to a head if William decides in September to quit his job as an RAF search and rescue helicopter pilot and become a fulltime working royal. "Whatever the Duke of Cambridge's plans, the Prince of Wales would have to look carefully at how he continues to fund the official activities of the staff and support for the five senior members of the Royal Family whom he is paying for," said Mr Nye.

The three young royals employ the fulltime equivalent of 10.5 staff, compared to 148.3 for Charles and Camilla but, although they share some resources, it is thought they would have to expand their staff if they dramatically increase their duties. However, a senior aide insisted: "At the moment there are no plans to increase the numbers of staff."

Its hard to make a comment given no sources are listed. I mean there are 'unnamed' sources but that can mean its completely fabricated.

Anyone can write a story if they're not going to say who their source is. Without knowing, its rubbish to me.

Its just the same 'William needs to more' that the tabloids like to push

This was one of those times I call "Consider the source and move along." Combine Palmer jumping in w/glee and there was only one way to truly describe it : Kangaroo Court.

"He deliberately based himself, wife Kate and their children — George, two, and nine-month-old Charlotte — out of the public eye at the ten-bedroom Anmer Hall in deepest Norfolk."
Quote from the Sun article.
To me this says it all - substitute "out of the public eye" with "out of the stalking paparazzi's long telephoto lenses" and you have what really bothers the Tabloid press - William has successfully shielded his family from the intrusive voracious gutter press and they don't like it.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe we have a BINGO!! :D

The Tabs 'need' those shots of George and Charlotte walking in the park next to KP, William and Catherine shopping in London or driving the kids to BP for swimming lessons, etc. to pay the bills.
The Tab press can snivel and whine and call William names all they want, but it won't change a thing, William is determined to protect his family and based on the Tab's complaints, it appears he's doing so successfully :ROFLMAO:

Judging from the scale this particular Tantrum from the Slimy Gutter Press Swamp is at, I'd say William has indeed very much succeeded so far. :D

What's missing from the article's complaint that he's becoming a 'gentleman farmer like his posh friends' is the fact that he is actually working as a helicopter pilot - a full time job for most mortals - plus doing some Royal duties - and of course there's that tour of India coming up.

That's what really had me seeing red. How she made it sound from the first sentence William hasn't been working at all since Christmas and just loafing around Norfolk and how nice it was he's finally shown up. Yeah...Piloting an Air Ambulance helicopter is just a nice little "hobby" for William. I keep forgetting that...Oh, that and the little "fact" that since we don't see William "doing Royal work" means he isn't doing any all. I think that dead horse has been beaten enough for the time being though.

Doesn't mean I'm not sick of seeing it brought up ad nauseam by people who know better though.

miss whirley;1864641*snip* I’d like to believe that her editor is bullying her for exclusives said:
Don't count on it. Her answers to some on Twitter were so smug and then Richard Palmer joined in and Blech!! W/out a doubt one of the times I wish we didn't have to see everything those you follow over there Tweet out to others.

I have an issue with some of your "facts". All redecorations were paid for privately. The public only paid structural repairs, which they would have done even if the Cambridges weren't living there, as the place was in bad condition, asbestos, electrical wiring from the 1950's, leaky roof. There's similar repair work going on at other palaces, I guess that's William's fault too.

You made that assumption that he would become a full-time royal. Nowhere did he claim that. So that's not a fact. He said he would be using the year to learn more about The Duchy of Cornwall, which he did. Hence, his course at Cambridge . The rest of the time was him exploring other career possibilities. He chose the EAA, and passed all the entry exams. He never had said he was done with flying helicopters, he quit the RAF because their SAR unit was becoming privatized. The last two years the SAR has been partially private and partially RAF during their transition stage. The transition is now complete. Once again, he was never going to become a full-time royal, Clarence House made that clear when they said the money isn't there for the younger trio to become full-timers.

Thank you for, yet again, attempting to bring in actual facts w/the extensive KP Restoration Work needed. This sadly is going to be another Myth that never dies and brought out again and again to "prove a point." Thanks for trying though. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Then people look at the queen and DOE who are close to thirty years past when most people retire, still working hard and strong. Its natural questions would arise why Will doesn't step up and take some of the work load. The queen will not abdicate, that is obvious, but she doesn't need the work load she has. When a man who is 93 and obviously suffering major health issues, is doing more than twice the events as his 33 year old grandson, people will ask questions.

The royals need to realize it isn't simply tabloids. It is press and public asking these questions. In a time of recession, when people are struggling, paying for a 33 year old to 'find himself' in the country, may lead some people to wonder the real value. The time to bury their head in the sand and hope it passes over is done.

William at the very least needs to realize he cant simply hide his family. He doesn't want the press hounding them, then he needs to give access. Like other royal families do with kids. Other than her birth and christening, we have had what 3 photos of Charlotte? Even if they don't want to do press conferences like other royals, releasing photos more often would help. Bringing the kids out to the rare event, not having paps shoot photos when in a museum or polo match. It was commented that George was brought to events in Australia but not his own country. Right or wrong, these are concerns being voiced by the public and shouldn't be brushed off

I totally agree with your comments and it isn't just the tabloids. They give voice to some of the issues though. The British public needs to see each generation to build that connection between royals and public and it's not happening with the Cambridge children. I don't know whether it is KP who is being wilfully blind or William but there's going to have to be change or else the disconnect is going to become a chasm.

Curryong, have you ever changed your opinion of Prince Harry because of a tabloid story? I'm going to guess no, so why do you think it's going to change the opinion of people who admire and respect William?

What I find funny in this latest Sun article, is unemployed Harry does less than William. Emily Andrews provides the numbers for the royals and there below 'throne idle' William is his even more throne idle brother

What has Harry to do with this tabloid attack on William for his way of life in Norfolk and shutting himself away from the British public and media? Harry's not mentioned in these latest articles, and I repeat again, any member of the BRF who attempts to ignore and sideline national newspapers in Britain does so at their peril.

Last edited by a moderator:
George V however made one major change to the way the monarchy operated AFTER WWI - in other words as King. He made it a policy for the BRF to actually make an emotional connection with the people having seen so many relatives lose everything due to not having any real connection to the majority of the public. That is way he introduced the big royal weddings and then encouraged the images of the York girls with their parents and with him and Queen Mary - and later the film images. William wants to take the BRF back to a period before WWI with his attitude and that isn't going to go down well - the public need to feel a part of their lives if they are going to continue to support them. If William isn't careful he may get his wish - and have a 'normal' life with no titles or government hand-outs and having to pay death duties etc - in other words he may lose it all if he isn't careful.

Of course, the continuing existence of the monarchy should not be taken for granted, not even in the UK where republicans are consistently less than 20 % of the population only.

Having said that, William and Kate are extremely popular and probably the most popular members of the Royal Family nowadays after the Queen herself. So, I think you are exaggerating the risk of William distancing himself from the people's favor.

What has Harry to do with this tabloid attack on William for his way of life in Norfolk and shutting himself away from the British public and media? Harry's not mentioned in these latest articles, and I repeat again, any member of the BRF who attempts to ignore and sideline national newspapers in Britain does so at their peril.
Here is a quote from the Sun article
As for the future, William, Harry and Kate have made it clear they want only to take on patronages where they can “make a difference”.

The Queen and Prince Philip have 1,400 patronages between them.

This reluctance on the part of the younger generation to take on their charities means many will be left out in the royal cold. Royal patrons bring kudos and donations, the life-blood for all charitable causes.

Without them, many are privately worried they will not be able to continue their work.
The headline of the article is about William but the writer compares William to at least a half a dozen other royals.

The mention of other royals seems to be on topic.

If William is 'throne idle', Harry is more so

I totally agree with your comments and it isn't just the tabloids. They give voice to some of the issues though. The British public needs to see each generation to build that connection between royals and public and it's not happening with the Cambridge children. I don't know whether it is KP who is being wilfully blind or William but there's going to have to be change or else the disconnect is going to become a chasm.

Perhaps William blames too much media exposure for his mother's fate and is naturally defensive about his own family. On the other hand, we need to put things in perspective. Prince George is 2 and a half and Princess Charlotte is 9 months old. How much more public exposure could they have in addition to what they already have ?

Just as an unrelated comparison, the Princess of Asturias, who is the heir to the Spanish throne and is already 10 years old, is rarely seen in public. My point is, I guess, that many royal courts are very protective of royal children and insist on preserving their right to privacy. I don't think the Cambridge children should be treated any differently just so that their generation could "connect" with the people. They will have plenty of time in their now normally long lives to do that.

The main brunt of this attack was, as you very well know, Rudolph, the possible effect of William's way of life in Norfolk and the hiding away of his family from public view.

I've long said, actually, that I do believe that Charles will change the way charities are distributed when he comes to the throne. Such charities may very well be large and important ones, tucked away, Continental style in Royal Foundations.

I remember the article concerned that was discussed, I believe, on the Monarchy under Charles thread, stated that this would likely be the way of the future, and that William agreed that this concentration on fewer charities where royals could make a difference would be a better approach than lots of small, scattered ones.

Last edited:
Just as an unrelated comparison, the Princess of Asturias, who is the heir to the Spanish throne and is already 10 years old, is rarely seen in public. My point is, I guess, that many royal courts are very protective of royal children and insist on preserving their right to privacy. I don't think the Cambridge children should be treated any differently just so that their generation could "connect" with the people. They will have plenty of time in their now normally long lives to do that.

I agree.

The reason royals are protective of their children is we don't know what the future will bring. Parents only get one shot at raising a family and William isn't even the heir, let alone Prince George.

This is a tabloid driven obsession. The public by every account seems fine with the arrangement the Cambridges have at the moment.

I think if the general population of the UK and the Commonwealth really had an issue with their royals to be "out there" and "connecting" with the people, you think at least some of them would have noticed how sloppy the reporting on the Court Circular has been from time to time and complain about that.

Right? :ohmy:

Curryong,

What I find funny in this latest Sun article, is unemployed Harry does less than William.

Emily Andrews will never attack Harry! She has a massive crush on him! He could remain unemployed indefinitely, and only carry out a handful of engagements a year and she would continue to write adoring odes about him. Remember when she swooned on Twitter "The man H has no end of charm. The birds literally fall out of the trees.” Her cuckoo self has already fallen out of the birds nest, along with her objectivity.

So Emily Andrews wrote about William hiding with his family in Norfolk because she is such a fan of Harry? And the other editors of the tabloids mentioned in the Guardian article who hold the same views? They are also fervent Harry fans as well?

So Emily Andrews wrote about William hiding with his family in Norfolk because she is such a fan of Harry? And the other editors of the tabloids mentioned in the Guardian article who hold the same views? They are also fervent Harry fans as well?

Nowhere did I say anything of the sort. What my comment actually says is that she worships the ground Harry walks on, she would never give him a hatchet job even if his behavior matched William. It’s like how she spent a better part of 2015 viciously attacking Beatrice for taking vacations, while in 2014 when Harry had more vacations than Beatrice, she refused to say a word on the subject.

Where did I mention other editors? Other editors are much more objective because their eyes aren’t covered with hearts. In the words of Percy Sledge-“Lovin’ eyes can never see”.

The only reason the tabloids, not television or the broadsheets, the only reason the tabloids want the Cambridges in London is because it provides more opportunity to photograph them.

It has nothing at all to do with royal work. It has everything to do with photographing George at a playground or Kate out for a walk with Charlotte on the high-street.

William has been working out of Norfolk for almost a year, everyone knows this, he's flying an air ambulance. I post articles about it all the time.

Opinion polls show William's decision to fly an air ambulance rather than full-time royal duties to be very popular with the public.

William is going to do what he thinks is right and so far in his life it's proven he has a very good feel for things.

Last edited:
Are there new photos of Prince George and Princess Charlotte about?

It's Monday morning here in Oz and the new magazines are out for the week.

"Woman's Day" has "Cute new pics!" on it's cover - with what looks like an new George photo - or maybe not, I haven't been keeping up with the busy young Prince's comings and goings for a while.

I'm off to the supermarket later this morning - I'll have a flip through.

Last edited:

"Woman's Day" has "Cute new pics!" on it's cover - with what looks like an new George photo - or maybe not, I haven't been keeping up with the busy young Prince's comings and goings for a while.

What I found on Twitter says that they are old - maybe from the Dec time period. I found only one - but did not look hard after I realized they were not new, new.

I found this photo of George and Charlotte with the nanny. George has a cute red helmet and is on his scooter:flowers:
http://imageupper.com/s02/1/3/S1456165806312456_2.jpg
http://imageupper.com/s02/1/3/S1456165806312456_1.jpg

I get collecting things. I get collecting dolls. I get collecting Barbie dolls and I get the Cabbage Patch Kids craze. With these "reborns" I'm wondering how long it will take before they're equipped with artificial intelligence.

Whoa, that is creepy for real. Disturbing thought to have a doll of those children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom