The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

That's funny. British papers call Catherine everything from 'Duchess Kate' , 'Kate Middleton' to 'Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge' none of which are correct but as soon as 'Princess Kate' is used people get all bent out of shape.

Not going to discuss titles here though. I think its lovely the Cambridges are able to be with Her Majesty on this special day.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
Not great journalism if they can't get The Duchess of Cambridge's or Princess William of Wales title correct. I thought The Fail had some poor reporting.:(
People magazine actually spent a while trying to decide what they should call her (as The Duchess of Cambridge seems a bit formal and a bit too much for a headline). The even had a poll on their website at one point asking readers how they thought they should refer to her. Since then, they've gone with "Princess Kate." So, in their defense, they know they're wrong, but they decided to be consistent with their incorrectness.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:38 PM
Courtier

I understand in a way the ' Kate Middleton ' thing because of her being known as that throughout their courtship but why ' Princess Kate '? Don't anyone feel they have to answer me, I am just expressing frustration.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I'd be happy with some candid shots from Catherine. But, I'm afraid I'm dreaming.

possibly after the fact... but i dont expect anyone will do anything to take away from this day.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
possibly after the fact... but i dont expect anyone will do anything to take away from this day.
I think they meant photos of the Queen with the kiddos etc taken BY Catherine?
Old 09-09-2015, 03:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I understand in a way the ' Kate Middleton ' thing because of her being known as that throughout their courtship but why ' Princess Kate '? Don't anyone feel they have to answer me, I am just expressing frustration.
Well, I think it's an attempt to at least recognize that she is royal. I mean, Diana has long been referred to as "Princess Diana" even though that's not correct (and I'm sure plenty of journalists who know better have still called her that). Kate is a princess, so I think they're just trying to go for something short and easy-to-understand.

I often hear her referred to as "Duchess Kate" as well, which just doesn't work at all, IMO. American media outlets, particularly those that are entertainment-oriented, seem to struggle with what to call her, and most aren't going to get too caught up in correctness of titles.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Honestly I believe it is because most Americans prefer the title "Princess Kate" over "Duchess Kate or Duchess of Cambridge." Most wouldn't understand why and/or wouldn't like it if she was known as "Princess William" which would be her title if they didn't have the Cambridge one.

People Magazine just opted to use the one their readers liked.

People magazine typically referred to The Duchess of York as Sarah or Fergie when she was married to Andrew.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Well, I think it's an attempt to at least recognize that she is royal. I mean, Diana has long been referred to as "Princess Diana" even though that's not correct (and I'm sure plenty of journalists who know better have still called her that). Kate is a princess, so I think they're just trying to go for something short and easy-to-understand.

I often hear her referred to as "Duchess Kate" as well, which just doesn't work at all, IMO. American media outlets, particularly those that are entertainment-oriented, seem to struggle with what to call her, and most aren't going to get too caught up in correctness of titles.
We are a nation of lovers of Disney Princesses and that's our idea of the best girl job in the world. We market pink and lavender little girl princess toys and outfits and that sell big time. My cynicism is showing, but my fellow American lack the desire to understand that a Duchess can indeed, trump a Princess. We are who we are. Apologies.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent

You are absolutely right AdmirerUS.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Not great journalism if they can't get The Duchess of Cambridge's or Princess William of Wales title correct. I thought The Fail had some poor reporting.:(

It's People. Take it for what it is. I'm just glad at least one major tab/publication has stopped calling her Kate Middleton.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-09-2015, 08:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
It's People. Take it for what it is. I'm just glad at least one major tab/publication has stopped calling her Kate Middleton.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
I agree. If they write the duchess of cambridge, their readers won't know who that is and in the US "duchesses" are women like that one in one of those "real houswives" persons who married some european socialite. A princess entails more of the role that Kate has, than the word duchess does, eespecially to a country that doesn't have titles. I mean... yes, it annoys me as well but they gotta write for their audience!
Old 09-09-2015, 08:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Kate is still better than when the UK papers use Prince William and Kate Middleton.

The readers of People aren't reading Burkes Peerage too. Princess Diana was used extensively here in America. So Princess Kate makes more sense in America than Princess William or Duchess of Cambridge which seems super formal. Most Americans probably wouldn't even known that Prince Henry of Wales is Prince Harry.

Wait in until Charles's ascension and William is Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge but not immediately Prince of Wales- there will be all sorts of title confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Princess Kate is still better than when the UK papers use Prince William and Kate Middleton.

The readers of People aren't reading Burkes Peerage too. Princess Diana was used extensively here in America. So Princess Kate makes more sense in America than Princess William or Duchess of Cambridge which seems super formal. Most Americans probably wouldn't even known that Prince Henry of Wales is Prince Harry.

Wait in until Charles's ascension and William is Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge but not immediately Prince of Wales- there will be all sorts of title confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Hahah, very true! xD
Old 09-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

I can tell you, Catherine's late mother-in-law did not like being called "Princess Diana" though. She always made attempts to correct those who called her that.

I call her Catherine, or The Duchess of Cambridge.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-09-2015, 10:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I can tell you, Catherine's late mother-in-law did not like being called "Princess Diana" though. She always made attempts to correct those who called her that.

I call her mostly Kate... Since that is what I "got to know her" as... But also DoC and her full title. Sometimes Catherine... But Kate in a more casual/gossipy setting and Duchess of Cambridge when more formal! Saying "the duchess" doesn't cut it in most places, and I just never got used to calling her Catherine, and Duchess of Cambridge is waaaay to long.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post

My husband had to peel me off the ceiling when one of our friends told his daughter, named Katie, that there was going to be a Princess Kate. I know I'm being picky, but as I have a name that is terribly unique, I am very sensitive to names and titles.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Honestly I believe it is because most Americans prefer the title "Princess Kate" over "Duchess Kate or Duchess of Cambridge." Most wouldn't understand why and/or wouldn't like it if she was known as "Princess William" which would be her title if they didn't have the Cambridge one.

People Magazine just opted to use the one their readers liked.

People magazine typically referred to The Duchess of York as Sarah or Fergie when she was married to Andrew.

Duchess Kate is probably the most accurate of her inaccurate names - that or Kate Middleton, which was actually her name at one point.

The thing about this is that in the modern era where the google searches count. If you search "Duchess of Cambridge" you only get 19 million hits. Duchess Kate gets 31 million, Kate Middleton 76 million, Princess Kate 101 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
We are a nation of lovers of Disney Princesses and that's our idea of the best girl job in the world. We market pink and lavender little girl princess toys and outfits and that sell big time. My cynicism is showing, but my fellow American lack the desire to understand that a Duchess can indeed, trump a Princess. We are who we are. Apologies.

I doubt it's purely an American thing - after all, the Daily Mail is a horrible offender, and it's a British paper.

There is an intricate complexity to the way British titles work that people don't necessarily take the time to understand. The fact of the matter is that it's something that takes time to learn. Kate's not the only victim of this ignorance; within the BRF you have the Queen, who's referred to as the Queen of England, Camilla, who's still referred to as Parker-Bowles, Harry, who people don't seem to realize is also Henry (I find it entertaining to see how frequently his name is "corrected" on Wikipedia pages), Louise and James who are called "Windsor" if remembered at all, Diana who still gets Princess Diana or The Princess of Wales, Sarah who seems to encourage being called the Duchess of York, and so on....
Old 09-09-2015, 11:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Duchess Kate is probably the most accurate of her inaccurate names - that or Kate Middleton, which was actually her name at one point.

The thing about this is that in the modern era where the google searches count. If you search "Duchess of Cambridge" you only get 19 million hits. Duchess Kate gets 31 million, Kate Middleton 76 million, Princess Kate 101 million.

I doubt it's purely an American thing - after all, the Daily Mail is a horrible offender, and it's a British paper.

There is an intricate complexity to the way British titles work that people don't necessarily take the time to understand. The fact of the matter is that it's something that takes time to learn. Kate's not the only victim of this ignorance; within the BRF you have the Queen, who's referred to as the Queen of England, Camilla, who's still referred to as Parker-Bowles, Harry, who people don't seem to realize is also Henry (I find it entertaining to see how frequently his name is "corrected" on Wikipedia pages), Louise and James who are called "Windsor" if remembered at all, Diana who still gets Princess Diana or The Princess of Wales, Sarah who seems to encourage being called the Duchess of York, and so on....
Exactly! I mean... it IS intricate so you can't expect a random tabloid to use that level of "knowledge" in their texts. I mean.. Here in Sweden it is easy.. Sofia Hellqvist became Princess Sofia.. End of story! She married a prince, became a princess. Easy. (although, her maiden name is still used alot because of google-ability...) But Kate is not as clear cut. William is a prince, but not really more of like because his fater is.. And when he got married he became a duke, that in this case is higher than a prince but not if he was another type of prince. etc etc... :P
Old 09-09-2015, 11:21 PM
Heir Apparent

It varies, doesn't it? The British and U.S. media never referred to Fergie as 'Princess Sarah' and if Sophie Wessex has ever been called 'Princess Sophie' I must have missed it. Titles and stylings are a minefield really, on both sides of the Atlantic. For instance Princess Anne is hardly ever referred to as 'the Princess Royal' even though she is and has been for some time!

I have noticed that the 'Kate Middleton' references in the media have begun to fade since Charlotte's birth, though. I have to say that I think 'Duchess Kate' should be quite easy for people to recognise in the context of an article, even if the Cambridge isn't mentioned.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:34 PM
Royal Highness

Has anyone actually seen pictures of any member of the family Cambridge in Scotland?
Or is this is all just hearsay?

Is this story even believable? Has it been confirmed by BP or KP?

The Queen said, "It is not a record to which I have ever aspired." while she and her husband the Duke of Edinburgh performed their duties.

The Queen and nearly her entire family were engaged in royal duties today and yet some want to believe this story that the Queen chose to spend her 'special day" with William.

William has a job. Has he already taken a vacation after only a month on the job?

How long was this vacation? So far according to the reports, Tuesday, Wednesday....

If William arrived yesterday maybe the Queen's entire family had dinner yesterday.

Closed Thread