The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #541  
Old 09-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 5,006
That's funny. British papers call Catherine everything from 'Duchess Kate' , 'Kate Middleton' to 'Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge' none of which are correct but as soon as 'Princess Kate' is used people get all bent out of shape.

Not going to discuss titles here though. I think its lovely the Cambridges are able to be with Her Majesty on this special day.
__________________

  #542  
Old 09-09-2015, 03:28 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: n/a, United States
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
Not great journalism if they can't get The Duchess of Cambridge's or Princess William of Wales title correct. I thought The Fail had some poor reporting.:(
People magazine actually spent a while trying to decide what they should call her (as The Duchess of Cambridge seems a bit formal and a bit too much for a headline). The even had a poll on their website at one point asking readers how they thought they should refer to her. Since then, they've gone with "Princess Kate." So, in their defense, they know they're wrong, but they decided to be consistent with their incorrectness.
__________________

  #543  
Old 09-09-2015, 03:38 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 663
I understand in a way the ' Kate Middleton ' thing because of her being known as that throughout their courtship but why ' Princess Kate '? Don't anyone feel they have to answer me, I am just expressing frustration.
  #544  
Old 09-09-2015, 03:40 PM
MichelleQ2's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I'd be happy with some candid shots from Catherine. But, I'm afraid I'm dreaming.

possibly after the fact... but i dont expect anyone will do anything to take away from this day.
  #545  
Old 09-09-2015, 03:43 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
possibly after the fact... but i dont expect anyone will do anything to take away from this day.
I think they meant photos of the Queen with the kiddos etc taken BY Catherine?
  #546  
Old 09-09-2015, 03:47 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: n/a, United States
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
I understand in a way the ' Kate Middleton ' thing because of her being known as that throughout their courtship but why ' Princess Kate '? Don't anyone feel they have to answer me, I am just expressing frustration.
Well, I think it's an attempt to at least recognize that she is royal. I mean, Diana has long been referred to as "Princess Diana" even though that's not correct (and I'm sure plenty of journalists who know better have still called her that). Kate is a princess, so I think they're just trying to go for something short and easy-to-understand.

I often hear her referred to as "Duchess Kate" as well, which just doesn't work at all, IMO. American media outlets, particularly those that are entertainment-oriented, seem to struggle with what to call her, and most aren't going to get too caught up in correctness of titles.
  #547  
Old 09-09-2015, 04:24 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
I understand in a way the ' Kate Middleton ' thing because of her being known as that throughout their courtship but why ' Princess Kate '? Don't anyone feel they have to answer me, I am just expressing frustration.
Honestly I believe it is because most Americans prefer the title "Princess Kate" over "Duchess Kate or Duchess of Cambridge." Most wouldn't understand why and/or wouldn't like it if she was known as "Princess William" which would be her title if they didn't have the Cambridge one.

People Magazine just opted to use the one their readers liked.

People magazine typically referred to The Duchess of York as Sarah or Fergie when she was married to Andrew.
  #548  
Old 09-09-2015, 07:34 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Well, I think it's an attempt to at least recognize that she is royal. I mean, Diana has long been referred to as "Princess Diana" even though that's not correct (and I'm sure plenty of journalists who know better have still called her that). Kate is a princess, so I think they're just trying to go for something short and easy-to-understand.

I often hear her referred to as "Duchess Kate" as well, which just doesn't work at all, IMO. American media outlets, particularly those that are entertainment-oriented, seem to struggle with what to call her, and most aren't going to get too caught up in correctness of titles.
We are a nation of lovers of Disney Princesses and that's our idea of the best girl job in the world. We market pink and lavender little girl princess toys and outfits and that sell big time. My cynicism is showing, but my fellow American lack the desire to understand that a Duchess can indeed, trump a Princess. We are who we are. Apologies.


__________________
The Force is my tiara.
  #549  
Old 09-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 3,116
You are absolutely right AdmirerUS.
  #550  
Old 09-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Tiggersk8's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Evansville, Canada
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
Not great journalism if they can't get The Duchess of Cambridge's or Princess William of Wales title correct. I thought The Fail had some poor reporting.:(

It's People. Take it for what it is. I'm just glad at least one major tab/publication has stopped calling her Kate Middleton.


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
__________________
Recycle Life ~ Be An Organ Donor!!
Recieved my Kidney Transplant on December 10th, 1993 and will be forever grateful to the family of my donor for the greatest earliest Christmas Present I've ever been given
  #551  
Old 09-09-2015, 08:40 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
It's People. Take it for what it is. I'm just glad at least one major tab/publication has stopped calling her Kate Middleton.


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
I agree. If they write the duchess of cambridge, their readers won't know who that is and in the US "duchesses" are women like that one in one of those "real houswives" persons who married some european socialite. A princess entails more of the role that Kate has, than the word duchess does, eespecially to a country that doesn't have titles. I mean... yes, it annoys me as well but they gotta write for their audience!
  #552  
Old 09-09-2015, 08:50 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,620
Princess Kate is still better than when the UK papers use Prince William and Kate Middleton.

The readers of People aren't reading Burkes Peerage too. Princess Diana was used extensively here in America. So Princess Kate makes more sense in America than Princess William or Duchess of Cambridge which seems super formal. Most Americans probably wouldn't even known that Prince Henry of Wales is Prince Harry.

Wait in until Charles's ascension and William is Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge but not immediately Prince of Wales- there will be all sorts of title confusion.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
  #553  
Old 09-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Princess Kate is still better than when the UK papers use Prince William and Kate Middleton.

The readers of People aren't reading Burkes Peerage too. Princess Diana was used extensively here in America. So Princess Kate makes more sense in America than Princess William or Duchess of Cambridge which seems super formal. Most Americans probably wouldn't even known that Prince Henry of Wales is Prince Harry.

Wait in until Charles's ascension and William is Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge but not immediately Prince of Wales- there will be all sorts of title confusion.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Hahah, very true! xD
  #554  
Old 09-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,145
I can tell you, Catherine's late mother-in-law did not like being called "Princess Diana" though. She always made attempts to correct those who called her that.

I call her Catherine, or The Duchess of Cambridge.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #555  
Old 09-09-2015, 10:36 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I can tell you, Catherine's late mother-in-law did not like being called "Princess Diana" though. She always made attempts to correct those who called her that.

I call her Catherine, or The Duchess of Cambridge.
I call her mostly Kate... Since that is what I "got to know her" as... But also DoC and her full title. Sometimes Catherine... But Kate in a more casual/gossipy setting and Duchess of Cambridge when more formal! Saying "the duchess" doesn't cut it in most places, and I just never got used to calling her Catherine, and Duchess of Cambridge is waaaay to long.
  #556  
Old 09-09-2015, 10:45 PM
Duchess of Durham's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I can tell you, Catherine's late mother-in-law did not like being called "Princess Diana" though. She always made attempts to correct those who called her that.

I call her Catherine, or The Duchess of Cambridge.
My husband had to peel me off the ceiling when one of our friends told his daughter, named Katie, that there was going to be a Princess Kate. I know I'm being picky, but as I have a name that is terribly unique, I am very sensitive to names and titles.
  #557  
Old 09-09-2015, 11:00 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Honestly I believe it is because most Americans prefer the title "Princess Kate" over "Duchess Kate or Duchess of Cambridge." Most wouldn't understand why and/or wouldn't like it if she was known as "Princess William" which would be her title if they didn't have the Cambridge one.

People Magazine just opted to use the one their readers liked.

People magazine typically referred to The Duchess of York as Sarah or Fergie when she was married to Andrew.

Duchess Kate is probably the most accurate of her inaccurate names - that or Kate Middleton, which was actually her name at one point.

The thing about this is that in the modern era where the google searches count. If you search "Duchess of Cambridge" you only get 19 million hits. Duchess Kate gets 31 million, Kate Middleton 76 million, Princess Kate 101 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
We are a nation of lovers of Disney Princesses and that's our idea of the best girl job in the world. We market pink and lavender little girl princess toys and outfits and that sell big time. My cynicism is showing, but my fellow American lack the desire to understand that a Duchess can indeed, trump a Princess. We are who we are. Apologies.

I doubt it's purely an American thing - after all, the Daily Mail is a horrible offender, and it's a British paper.

There is an intricate complexity to the way British titles work that people don't necessarily take the time to understand. The fact of the matter is that it's something that takes time to learn. Kate's not the only victim of this ignorance; within the BRF you have the Queen, who's referred to as the Queen of England, Camilla, who's still referred to as Parker-Bowles, Harry, who people don't seem to realize is also Henry (I find it entertaining to see how frequently his name is "corrected" on Wikipedia pages), Louise and James who are called "Windsor" if remembered at all, Diana who still gets Princess Diana or The Princess of Wales, Sarah who seems to encourage being called the Duchess of York, and so on....
  #558  
Old 09-09-2015, 11:13 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Duchess Kate is probably the most accurate of her inaccurate names - that or Kate Middleton, which was actually her name at one point.

The thing about this is that in the modern era where the google searches count. If you search "Duchess of Cambridge" you only get 19 million hits. Duchess Kate gets 31 million, Kate Middleton 76 million, Princess Kate 101 million.




I doubt it's purely an American thing - after all, the Daily Mail is a horrible offender, and it's a British paper.

There is an intricate complexity to the way British titles work that people don't necessarily take the time to understand. The fact of the matter is that it's something that takes time to learn. Kate's not the only victim of this ignorance; within the BRF you have the Queen, who's referred to as the Queen of England, Camilla, who's still referred to as Parker-Bowles, Harry, who people don't seem to realize is also Henry (I find it entertaining to see how frequently his name is "corrected" on Wikipedia pages), Louise and James who are called "Windsor" if remembered at all, Diana who still gets Princess Diana or The Princess of Wales, Sarah who seems to encourage being called the Duchess of York, and so on....
Exactly! I mean... it IS intricate so you can't expect a random tabloid to use that level of "knowledge" in their texts. I mean.. Here in Sweden it is easy.. Sofia Hellqvist became Princess Sofia.. End of story! She married a prince, became a princess. Easy. (although, her maiden name is still used alot because of google-ability...) But Kate is not as clear cut. William is a prince, but not really more of like because his fater is.. And when he got married he became a duke, that in this case is higher than a prince but not if he was another type of prince. etc etc... :P
  #559  
Old 09-09-2015, 11:21 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,569
It varies, doesn't it? The British and U.S. media never referred to Fergie as 'Princess Sarah' and if Sophie Wessex has ever been called 'Princess Sophie' I must have missed it. Titles and stylings are a minefield really, on both sides of the Atlantic. For instance Princess Anne is hardly ever referred to as 'the Princess Royal' even though she is and has been for some time!

I have noticed that the 'Kate Middleton' references in the media have begun to fade since Charlotte's birth, though. I have to say that I think 'Duchess Kate' should be quite easy for people to recognise in the context of an article, even if the Cambridge isn't mentioned.
  #560  
Old 09-09-2015, 11:34 PM
Queen Camilla's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 1,861
Has anyone actually seen pictures of any member of the family Cambridge in Scotland?
Or is this is all just hearsay?

Is this story even believable? Has it been confirmed by BP or KP?

The Queen said, "It is not a record to which I have ever aspired." while she and her husband the Duke of Edinburgh performed their duties.

The Queen and nearly her entire family were engaged in royal duties today and yet some want to believe this story that the Queen chose to spend her 'special day" with William.

William has a job. Has he already taken a vacation after only a month on the job?

How long was this vacation? So far according to the reports, Tuesday, Wednesday....

If William arrived yesterday maybe the Queen's entire family had dinner yesterday.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General News for the Cambridge Family Part 3: March 2017 JessRulz The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 13 03-24-2017 08:47 PM
General News for the Duke of Cambridge 1: April 2012-March 2017 Zonk Current Events Archive 669 03-19-2017 12:29 AM




Popular Tags
albania ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit best outfit december coup d'etat crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion denmark duchess of cambridge duke of cambridge e-mail family fascism fashion poll infanta elena outfit kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl gustaf and queen silvia king philippe king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince charles prince joachim current events princess charlene princess marie princess mary princess mary casual style princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess sofia prinsjesdag queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen margrethe queen mathilde queen mathilde visits jordan queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania casual outfit queen rania daytime fashion queen rania fashion september 2016 state visit succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats the duke of cambridge tiara


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:33 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises