The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Video:
The editor of The Sun has told ITV News the newspaper is not afraid to reveal more details about the Queen's views on the EU amid a furore over its "Queen Backs Brexit" front page splash-

Home - ITNSource News
The entire interview - he was not pressured in the same way as he was in the BBC interview which I posted above in my previous post:

Old 03-10-2016, 02:21 PM
Heir Apparent

The Sun is in a tight spot. The Brexit referendum was only called this year. Even if for the sake of argument the Queen did say she was worried about the direction of the EU, that doesn't mean she supports either leaving or staying. You can be concerned without being partisan.

The Sun's headline was misleading then. We don't know the Queen's view on Brexit

The publisher's code states the headline must be supported by the text. I can't see that here. Tony Gallagher may be a dead man walking

Old 03-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

BritishMonarchy ‏@BritishMonarchy
The Queen, as Head of the Commonwealth, has made a private donation to the relief effort in #Fiji following #CycloneWinston

BritishMonarchy ‏@BritishMonarchy
Following the devastating impact of #CycloneWinston, The Queen sent the following message to the people of #Fiji

As the people of Fiji recover from the devastating impact of Tropical Cyclone Winston, I send my sincere condolences to those who have lost loved ones. My thoughts are also with those who have seen their homes and property ruined and are starting the hard work of rebuilding. I know how resilient and resourceful the people of Fiji are.

ELIZABETH R.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Exquisite timing. Mrs Elizabeth Windsor of SW1 feels traduced by Britain’s biggest-selling newspaper. She takes her case to the Independent Press Standards Organisation just as this body – backed by Britain’s biggest-selling newspaper, inter alia – struggles for complete credibility while a rival regulator snaps at its heels. What do you say about a Sun front page claiming “Queen backs Brexit”? You condemn it and insist on an upfront correction. But that’s the easy part.

It’s easy because there’s nothing in the Sun’s body-text report that justifies those three lead words in big, booming type. If taken at face value they, at the most, provide secondhand evidence of a couple of conversations up to five years old in the midst of eurozone crisis – when no referendum had been agreed and “Brexit” might as well have been some new patent loo cleaner.

Clause one of the Ipso code says: “The press must take care not to publish inaccurate, misleading or distorted information or images, including headlines not supported by the text.” Thank you and goodnight, m’lud.
Read more: Anonymity hides not only the source, but the truth, from the Sun’s readers | Media | The Guardian
Old 03-13-2016, 02:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

I know that this is the Guardian and I know that this Peter Preston guy is a republican, but the country he is living in is a constitutional monarchy whether he likes it or not, and Mrs Elizabeth Windsor is the Queen of the United Kingdom, so he should grow up and deal with it.

President Obama will visit the UK next month on his way to Germany and the big question is: Will he meet the Queen? The Reagans did have a farewell audience with her in June 1988, the Clintons in December 2000 and the Bushes in June 2008.

Barack and Michelle Obama has met the Queen many times: They had an audience with her during their visit in April 2009 when he attended G20 summit meeting, they also met her during their state visit to the UK in May 2011, and he met her again in France in June 2014.

Michelle did also met her when she and her daughters visited the UK in June 2009 and when she attended the olympics in July 2012.

He didn't meet her during his visit in June 2013 when he attended the G8 summit meeting because it was in Belfast or during his visit in September 2014 because it was in Wales and the Queen was at Balmoral.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Michael Gove's decision to back a “Brexit” has stopped him facing the sack over allegedly leaking the details of a private conversation the Queen had about Europe, senior Government sources have said.

Allies of the Prime Minister have said that the only reason Mr Gove is not facing the prospect of losing his job is because it would provide a huge boost to the campaign to leave the European Union.

Mr Gove, the current Lord Chancellor, was last week implicated in leaking details of an exchange between the Queen and four members of the Privy Council in April 2011.

The conversation was reported in The Sun newspaper as evidence that the "Queen backs Brexit", dragging Her Majesty into the row over Britain's EU membership for the first time.
Read more: Michael Gove's alleged Queen comments are a 'sackable offence' Government sources say - Telegraph
Old 03-13-2016, 07:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
President Obama will visit the UK next month on his way to Germany and the big question is: Will he meet the Queen? The Reagans did have a farewell audience with her in June 1988, the Clintons in December 2000 and the Bushes in June 2008.

Barack and Michelle Obama has met the Queen many times: They had an audience with her during their visit in April 2009 when he attended G20 summit meeting, they also met her during their state visit to the UK in May 2011, and he met her again in France in June 2014.

Michelle did also met her when she and her daughters visited the UK in June 2009 and when she attended the olympics in July 2012.

He didn't meet her during his visit in June 2013 when he attended the G8 summit meeting because it was in Belfast or during his visit in September 2014 because it was in Wales and the Queen was at Balmoral.
This is very tricky. The UK media are saying that the purpose of President Obama's visit is to support the British Government in its aim to stay in the EU. Therefore his visit is seen as entirely political.

There is also the fact that both sides of the EU debate have tried to drag the Royals, and particularly the Queen, into the debate. And HMQ is determined not to be involved.

On this basis, I would say that regardless of the fact that HMQ would have to meet with the President if the Government requested it, it will place her in a very difficult position.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I am sure President Obama will squeeze more trips to Europe in the time left to January 20, 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-13-2016, 09:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
This is very tricky. The UK media are saying that the purpose of President Obama's visit is to support the British Government in its aim to stay in the EU. Therefore his visit is seen as entirely political.

There is also the fact that both sides of the EU debate have tried to drag the Royals, and particularly the Queen, into the debate. And HMQ is determined not to be involved.

On this basis, I would say that regardless of the fact that HMQ would have to meet with the President if the Government requested it, it will place her in a very difficult position.
I thought about that too, and you're right, it may place her in a very difficult position. But if this is his last trip to the UK before he leaves office, then I actually think he will meet her.

And if the purpose of Obama's visit is to support the British Government in its aim to stay in the EU, then I think it will backfire, because he isn't exactly popular in the UK. There are not many Brits who will listen to what he says.

This is not a political forum and I'm not trying to start a discussion about Obama here, but I don't understand what Brits have against him. I actually like him and thinks he's been a fairly good president (especially considering the economic situation when he took office.)
Old 03-13-2016, 09:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I thought about that too, and you're right, it may place her in a very difficult position. But if this is his last trip to the UK before he leaves office, then I actually think he will meet her.

And if the purpose of Obama's visit is to support the British Government in its aim to stay in the EU, then I think it will backfire, because he isn't exactly popular in the UK. There are not many Brits who will listen to what he says.

This is not a political forum and I'm not trying to start a discussion about Obama here, but I don't understand what Brits have against him. I actually like him and thinks he's been a fairly good president (especially considering the economic situation when he took office.)
Not generally disliked IMO but anything seen as interfering in an internal issue will not be appreciated and Cameron should not have invited him on that basis. If he comes and it can be scheduled I agree she would meet him but it is not good in the current climate.

If a meeting can be scheduled for post June, then it should.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-13-2016, 09:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Not generally disliked IMO but anything seen as interfering in an internal issue will not be appreciated and Cameron should not have invited him on that basis. If he comes and it can be scheduled I agree she would meet him but it is not good in the current climate.

If a meeting can be scheduled for post June, then it should.
I agree! And just imagine how the press will cover it, especially if they are in a bad mood: The Queen tells Obama that she wants UK to leave etc.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

Putting aside any reason for a US President's visit to the UK, is a courtesy visit to the Queen a normal occurrence?
Old 03-17-2016, 03:07 AM
Majesty

The Queen's talent for impressions and why she calls herself Miss Piggy | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-18-2016, 02:33 AM
Majesty

Queen refuses to return to London to meet Barack Obama, EPHRAIM HARDCASTLE writes* | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-18-2016, 03:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not sure why I still lets myself be irritated/upset by this man.

Some facts:

The Reagans: Met with the Queen at Windsor Castle in 1982.

The Bushes: Met with the Queen at Windsor Castle in 2008.

She has also met several other heads of state at Windsor both during state visits and official visits.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:29 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The Reagans: Met with the Queen at Windsor Castle in 1982.

The Bushes: Met with the Queen at Windsor Castle in 2008.

She has also met several other heads of state at Windsor both during state visits and official visits.
And Windsor isn't exactly some remote facility that presents a logistical hardship. It's actually closer than Buckingham Palace to either of the two airports in west London (Heathrow and RAF Northolt) that the president is likely to fly into.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Guys... It's the Daily Mail.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Guys... It's the Daily Mail.
Yes I know, but more importantly It's Ephraim Hardcastle. And as I said, I'm not sure why I still lets myself be irritated/upset by him.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:45 AM
Heir Apparent

General News & Information for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh

Windsor Castle is probably more impressive than BP anyways. She's always at Windsor full time that time of year. He is visiting her not the other way around. You go to where she is at. Next year he isn't President anymore but she will still be Queen.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-18-2016, 10:06 AM
Royal Highness

Now if this story involved (heaven forbid!) President Donald Trump, it would be almost believable. And the thought of the gentlemanly and tactful Barack Obama hectoring the 90-year-old Queen over an elegant lunch is hilarious.

Abraham Lincoln
Closed Thread

Tags
auction, collectibles, cooking, environment, market report, meals, memorabilia, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, royal marriage, royal trips, royal visits, talents