The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #261  
Old 06-25-2017, 04:11 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,984
Curryong I love your posts you make such good points. Other posters have their own agenda and make problems when there isn't any. Using this to rubbish Diana is unnecessary but expected as you noted.
__________________

  #262  
Old 06-25-2017, 05:03 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 13,441
Just the fact that the statements in the interview led to controversies by interpreting what he's said in different ways makes it hopefully a lesson learned to be a bit more guarded in the future.

People and the press just love to "read between the lines". Like political analysts on TV, words are taken to mean whatever floats one's agenda. There is no doubt in my mind that Harry never intended his statements to be anything but Harry relating his thoughts with openness and candor. I imagine if he had a crystal ball and could see the aftermath of his words, he may have chosen his words more carefully.

Harry is very human. That's been proven. He's made a innocent and unintentional mistake. To me, that doesn't reflect on his character and the person he is but rather the world around him.
__________________

__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
  #263  
Old 06-25-2017, 05:16 AM
Empress Merel's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 2,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Curryong I love your posts you make such good points. Other posters have their own agenda and make problems when there isn't any. Using this to rubbish Diana is unnecessary but expected as you noted.
Just because some people do not agree, doesn't mean they have their own agenda? Come on now.
  #264  
Old 06-25-2017, 05:20 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 9,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
What does Harry mean when he says the monarchy "cannot go on as it has done under the Queen ?"[....] .
For once Prince Harry is right. The monarchy indeed can not go on as done under the Queen. That would mean a static monarchy, putting a glass dome over it. Every new monarch will set new accents, make his/her own decisions. We have seen that in the Netherlands, in Belgium and in Spain where new Kings have indeed changed their monarchies within the limitations they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I don't see anything wrong with the article...I think he was being quite open and honest...he didn't trash the monarchy/family. Nothing shocking or scandalous.

Surely nothing he said has come as a surprise to anyone?


LaRae
The Prince has not taken the old lessons of Sir Walter Bagehot to his heart: the crown should never be naked. With his blabbing like any celebbie he is taking away the distance and the "mystique" which are -in my eyes- essential elements for a monarchy.

That this "mystique" or maybe "sacrality" is so important is shown in republics as well. The antics of Mr Donald Trump or the way his staff behaves are often damaging, "de-sacralizing" even, the high office of the President of the United States.

The predecessor of the current French President, M François Hollande, wanted to be "Monsieur Normal". He misunderstood that the French do like to see their President having a feeling for grandesse, decorum and indeed, the 'mystique' which hangs around the Palais de l'Élysée. Speeding through Paris on a scooter is not how the French expect their President to do.

Prince Harry should know that comments like "No one wants the Crown" or blabbing about having been sort of on the verge of "quitting" has the same effect. Like the given examples also the British monarchy is best served with serenity, dignity and some distance indeed. Harry is a most friendly and approachable dude. But he is also His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales. He needs to get the balancing back.
  #265  
Old 06-25-2017, 05:50 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 13,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Prince Harry should know that comments like "No one wants the Crown" or blabbing about having been sort of on the verge of "quitting" has the same effect. Like the given examples also the British monarchy is best served with serenity, dignity and some distance indeed. Harry is a most friendly and approachable dude. But he is also His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales. He needs to get the balancing back.
I don't know about you but to master a balancing act (even with dishes) isn't an easy task. You break a few dishes in learning how to balance them. Trial and error. Sometimes the errors are the best teachers.

The problem was that some of Harry's statements were too general. A statement like "No one wants the Crown" needed elaboration on just what Harry meant by that. "No one wants the Crown because..." and give specific reasons why he made that statement would have put it into indisputable context. "because I love farming" "because the climate in the UK sucks" or any "because". On his thoughts of "quitting" once again elaboration would serve him better. "because I felt I'd rather be in Las Vegas 24/7 drinking and partying at the time" would have elaborated on that sentiment.

Its a fine art to be able to make statements that cannot be misinterpreted.
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
  #266  
Old 06-25-2017, 05:52 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Just because some people do not agree, doesn't mean they have their own agenda? Come on now.


Umm yes I think they absolutely do. MO
  #267  
Old 06-25-2017, 05:55 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I don't know about you but to master a balancing act (even with dishes) isn't an easy task. You break a few dishes in learning how to balance them. Trial and error. Sometimes the errors are the best teachers.


Its a fine art to be able to make statements that cannot be misinterpreted.
but he does this a LOT and he's getting older, should be better at being, if you like frank and telling his thougths, without saying things that make him look spoiled or that are likely ot irritate people who are not that proRoyal.
Given tat he was partying naked in Vegas, yes it could come acorss as "I wanted out because I'd rather be having fun with my pals and getting legless.." just as "no one wants the Crown" can come across as "we think we are hard doen by, having to do public duties."
  #268  
Old 06-25-2017, 05:57 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 13,441
I don't think there are many people here at TRF that are dead set on an agenda to present opinions to sway other people's opinions as in some kind of a campaign for or against something about a royal or the royal way of life. Those that come with a negative agenda in mind usually don't last very long around here.

We have discussions. We freely present our own opinions of how we see things and ask questions. We also listen (this is the biggie) to what other people are saying and even learn something along the way and come to realize that we're even able to amend our opinions because of new information.

Its called communication.
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
  #269  
Old 06-25-2017, 06:03 AM
JessRulz's Avatar
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Just because some people do not agree, doesn't mean they have their own agenda? Come on now.
Umm yes I think they absolutely do. MO
Let's be real: everyone can be perceived as having an "agenda" of some kind, regardless of which "camp" they sit in.

It would be nice if we could have mature discussions without the constant snarky remarks about agendas/etc because everyone dares not have the same opinion as everyone else.
__________________
**TRF Rules and FAQ**
  #270  
Old 06-25-2017, 06:04 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 13,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
but he does this a LOT and he's getting older, should be better at being, if you like frank and telling his thougths, without saying things that make him look spoiled or that are likely ot irritate people who are not that proRoyal.
Given tat he was partying naked in Vegas, yes it could come acorss as "I wanted out because I'd rather be having fun with my pals and getting legless.." just as "no one wants the Crown" can come across as "we think we are hard doen by, having to do public duties."
That's why I suggested that maybe, just maybe, with statements like you've given examples of, he needs to elaborate or just not make the statement at all.

Just because someone is older, it doesn't mean that their age reflects their emotional maturity or even physical maturity. Life is and of itself is a learning process and everyone goes along at their own pace. The time a person stops experiencing and learning is the time when that person draws his last breath.

If we all had to consciously think and rationalize the effects of what we say and weigh how the multitudes of people may or may not interpret our words, we'd be very, very silent people and live in fear of expressing ourselves.
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
  #271  
Old 06-25-2017, 06:13 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,073
Better he doesn't make ANY statements at all honestly. He just aint bright and he's tactless. Kind hearted yes, and willing to put in a bit of work.. but really he does say stilly things. All Royals do at tmes, in spite of spin doctors, speech writers and so on.. but Harry is noticed quite a bit because I think at present, he is the most popular youngr Royal.
  #272  
Old 06-25-2017, 06:17 AM
Empress Merel's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 2,621
Harry has carved out an amazing role for himself. He did a great job there and in my opinion, has done it far better than his brother or SIL. The public, no matter if they're pro royal or not, tend to take an immediate liking to him.

These type of interviews are a case of foot in your mouth, in my opinion. Don't be telling the public you wanted out and an ordinary life when ordinary is for most people not as cracked up to be and a daily struggle. Don´t say stuff like this when life is as insecure as it now in the wake of political situations all across the globe.
  #273  
Old 06-25-2017, 06:40 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Harry has carved out an amazing role for himself. He did a great job there and in my opinion, has done it far better than his brother or SIL. The public, no matter if they're pro royal or not, tend to take an immediate liking to him.



William and Kate don't have to carve a role out. They have one. Their roles in the monarchy are set.

Harry is popular now. So were Andrew and Margaret back in the day, but it didn't last.
  #274  
Old 06-25-2017, 06:43 AM
Empress Merel's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 2,621
Within the monarchy yes, but getting the public to care is another.

And I wasn't around for Andrew and Sarah, I'm too young, but I do think Harry knows that his time of popularity won't last forever. It will only lessen as George, and specifically Charlotte, grow older.
  #275  
Old 06-25-2017, 06:46 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,152
Considering Kate is the only one who can guarantee press coverage of her engagements, somebody in the public cares. Because if no one cared and didn't click on the stories then the press would not cover her so extensively.
  #276  
Old 06-25-2017, 06:57 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 9,148
For Harry (I prefer the more distant Prince Henry, the name Harry was already a forebode of all this) I can see a role as the rock on which the King can build, his closest counsel, a sort of "Prince Bertil and Princess Lilian"-role for the future King George.

He just need to re-set his act, re-balancing his core business which is being a senior member of the royal family and beware a little bit more of the decorum and the distance around it. Then he will have a great and meaningful role in the future :)
  #277  
Old 06-25-2017, 07:16 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 4,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, I thought Diana would come into this sooner or later, Lady Nimue. Where in this interview does Harry disrespect the Queen? Have you read the whole Newsweek article at all? Or just the bits the DM and other tabloids chose to publish?
"The monarchy cannot go on as it has done under the Queen" may be interpreted as disrespectful to his grandmother. That is why I asked what he meant exactly by that.

Furthermore, when he says that "no royal wants to be King or Queen", "no royal" here obviously includes his brother and father and, by saying that, he is undermining their position.

The problem, you see, is that the "bits that the tabloids chose to publish" are pretty clear literal quotes (as is BTW "I wanted out"). It is not a matter of the press twisting Harry's words, but, on the contrary, of some posters on the forum trying to find hidden meanings or convoluted interpretations to exonerate Harry .

The truth is that Harry, like Andrew or Margaret before him, is a not a particularly bright person. On top of that, he has many issues and is clearly not very emotionally stable. The best advice to him, in the interest of the institution he represents, is to keep his mouth shut.
  #278  
Old 06-25-2017, 07:26 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,152
General News for Prince Harry, Part 1: December 2016 -

I am not that familiar with the Swedish royals, however didn't Carl Gustav come to the throne as a relatively young man? George will most likely be middle aged when he becomes King. Harry is only 2 years younger than his brother. Harry could die before William. Younger siblings don't always out live older ones. Look at the Queen and Margaret. Harry is a smoker too.

It's unlikely barring some sort of early death of William, that we will see a young King George on the throne who needs a older mentor royal. Even Elizabeth herself didn't rely on her uncle the Duke of Gloucester when she came to the throne in 1952.
  #279  
Old 06-25-2017, 07:50 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
Let's be real: everyone can be perceived as having an "agenda" of some kind, regardless of which "camp" they sit in.

It would be nice if we could have mature discussions without the constant snarky remarks about agendas/etc because everyone dares not have the same opinion as everyone else.

IMO bringing Diana into threads that are not hers is some people's agenda. It happens repeatedly by the same posters. The people who don't like Harry will always twist something he might have said again to me that's not discussion it's an agenda.
  #280  
Old 06-25-2017, 07:53 AM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, United Kingdom, Norway
Posts: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Surprising to see some commenting here who would never come onto Harry threads except when he's perceived to have done something wrong that offends them. When he receives praise for something he did wonderfully the silence is deafening.
Curryong, although I rarely agree with your posts, I do appreciate them. But if this post was directed at me, then I don't thinks it's fair.

1. I adore and love HM (as most peole does) and I therefore follows her.

2. I'm a great admirer of Charles and I therefor follows him and I think Camilla does a great job.

3. I'm a big fan of William and Kate and I therefor follows them.

4. I'm also a big fan of Sophie and follows her.

5. I've never been very interested in Philip, Harry, Anne, Andrew and Edward or the so-called minor royals, but I have respect for the work they does.

6. And I'm often around in the Harry's threads, although I don't write here so often, but this is a special situation who affects the monarchy.

7. And you must accept that people don't always agree with you, I have to accept that all the time on this forum.

8. You can write that you disagree, but you can do it in a pleasant way. I think I've become a bit better in doing this than I was before, but I know that I have a tendency to still get irritaded when you and others praise Diana like no one else and attack those who disagree.

More about Harry:

Dickie Arbiter and Rachel Johnson are both pro Harry and have praised him in the past, so they are not out after Harry because of some stupid agenda and I agree with everything they say about this.

Dickie Arbiter‏ @RoyalDickie
He should never been let loose. He's not exactly brain of Britain when it come what to & what not to say

Dickie Arbiter‏ @RoyalDickie
At the end of a week in which Prince Harry bared his soul, he should read Rachel Johnson and digest

This is really worth a read:
Prince Harry on the perils of 'doing a Ratner'* | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Dear Harry,

In normal times I'd let it pass, but I'm writing as your Ken Palace advisers are clearly AWOL, and these are not normal times. You may not have noticed, as you're too busy at the meat counter of Whole Foods or getting the Natural History Museum to open just so you and Meghan can gaze at dinosaurs in private, but we're all on post-Election edge here.

The nation is divided and angry, the Government is hanging by a gossamer thread, and in the past week or so it has seemed as if it's only the Queen keeping the country together: visiting the bereaved of Grenfell Tower, giving her Gracious Speech in Parliament, shooting off to Ascot.

Right in the middle of all this – in a Newsweek interview on Wednesday – you pop up and rattle our faith in the one thing this country basically still believes in, far more than bloody Brexit and almost as much as the blessed NHS.

The Monarchy.

What on earth were you thinking, frightening the horses with this: 'Is there any one of the Royal Family who wants to be king or queen? I don't think so, but we will carry out our duties at the right time.'

What a Ratner moment that was. 'Reluctant Royals' is very bad PR for the brand, and The Firm is not just any brand – it's arguably the most successful in UK plc.

In that one sentence you also reveal that you fail to grasp the corporate purpose of The Firm. The entire point of the Royals is: you do what you are, not you are what you do. The Queen is Queen. Your father is heir to the Throne. Camilla is consort. Your only job – since you threw in the Army, which must count as a mistake – is therefore Prince.

Your sister-in-law Catherine seemed to get this when she described herself as 'Princess' in the space left for occupation on George's birth certificate. It's your honour and your privilege, whether you like it or lump it, and you don't seem to like it very much.

I shudder to think of your grandmother's reaction.

She has served this country without putting a foot wrong or opening her mouth out of turn for 70 years, and now you reveal that your father and brother are mere huffy hostages of history.

Then, in the next breath, you explain that you are doing the world a favour just by your very existence. 'It's a tricky balancing act,' you say. 'We don't want to dilute the magic… the British public and the whole world need institutions like it.'

This makes me worry, Harry, that you have either never heard of Bagehot's first rule of the Royal Family, which is never let daylight in on the magic, or you've chosen to ignore it.

After all, you are, as you say, on your 'journey' and still finding your 'path'. You have chosen to broaden the national conversation on mental health as a tribute to your late mother. This is all wonderful, and your creation of the Invictus Games is also a great credit to you. But your Newsweek interview shows – God, I sound old – that you still have some growing up to do, and 'learnings' to absorb.

'Even if I was king, I'd do my own shopping,' you boast, thus missing the key point. Unlike Princes Charles, William and George, you have dodged that heavy duty.

You will never be king – and therefore have nothing to complain about.

You are free to enjoy your status as most popular Royal, the People's Prince. You can merrily have your cake and eat it from here to kingdom come. So we don't want to hear another peep for a while (and yes, that's the Royal 'we'.)

Yours, Rachel
__________________

__________________
The Queen is the most wonderful, forgiving, non judgmental person I know. Sarah Ferguson speaking in 2011.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
aif aristocracy belgian british royal family britishroyals clothes crown crown prince hussein's future wife current events dailyfail daughter daughters de belgique denmark duchess of sussex duchessofsussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex earl of wessex forum french revolution friendly city genealogy germany gordon greece harry headship iñaki urdangarín juan carlos kiko lineage meghan markle member monarchist monarchy monogram northampton patron prince harry prince laurent princenapoleon princess anne princess beatrice princess claire princess eugenie princess of belgium public image qe2 queen elizabeth quizz rania of jordan remarriage royal royal ladies sarah duchess of york savoy saxony siblings south africa state visit surname the crown titles uk styles tradition united kingdom valois viscount severn windsor castle ww1



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:44 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises