Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 6: July 2011-January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Ladies-in-Waiting are not paid and are normally friends of the said Royal, and often do it out of friendship. No doubt the Royal buys them many gifts, and just think of all the free trips they get to go on! Sophie brought Sarah with her all around the Caribbean in February and March.

Are Private Secretaries paid? The Wessex's have one who accompanied them to the Caribbean, and who sent out "Thank You's" on behalf of Edward and Sophie, however Sarah sends out "Thank you's" on behalf of Sophie if the engagement was just Sophie's.

Traditions differ Ladies-in-waiting from country to country, but as a rule, Ladies-in-waiting are indeed not paid. Technically speaking, ladies-in-waiting are not employees; they are companions who are requested to become ladies-in-waiting (as opposed to being hired). That's one reason why the ladies-in-waiting have traditionally been chosen from wealthy and/or noble families. It has to be said that the royals may choose to reimburse their ladies-in-waiting costs connected with the services; however, it will be a private decision and the money will not come from the "official" expenditures.

Private secretaries, on the other hand, are fully paid. For example, all of the Queen's and Prince Charles' private secretaries are considered employees and as such, receive salaries. It's more or less the same in other Monarchies as well. Another example, one of Princess Mary's former ladies-in-waiting, Caroline Heering, was listed as her private secretary as well; thus, while she did not get paid in her former capacity, Caroline did get paid in her role as Private Secretary to the Crown Princess.

Just met HRH Prince Edward at a reception here in Philadelphia. Very pleasant man, much smaller than I expected

Just met HRH Prince Edward at a reception here in Philadelphia. Very pleasant man, much smaller than I expected

Truly? He is said to stand 6 feet (1.83 m). Is he perhaps more lean of build than expected or do you really mean he is shorter than advertised? Curious.

Truly? He is said to stand 6 feet (1.83 m). Is he perhaps more lean of build than expected or do you really mean he is shorter than advertised? Curious.

No more than 5'10" ... perhaps 155 lbs. He has the build of a very, very average man. I attended this event with a friend who met the Prince of Wales when he was in Philadelphia a few years ago. She said that Edward was shorter than Charles.

He is supposed to be the tallest of the Queens children. It was commented on at his wedding, that one of the benefits of being 6' tall was that fewer people would notice the patch in his thatch.

Interesting info, suztav! I've been surprised myself several times how different royals or celebrities looked "in the flesh" compared to what I had expected or what I had been used to, judging from pictures.

Aside of them, no other member of the royal family (that I know of) has a lady-in-waiting.

Princess Michael of Kent has a lady-in-waiting as well. Emma Kitchener-Fellowes...

He is supposed to be the tallest of the Queens children. It was commented on at his wedding, that one of the benefits of being 6' tall was that fewer people would notice the patch in his thatch.

No more than 5'10" ... perhaps 155 lbs. He has the build of a very, very average man. I attended this event with a friend who met the Prince of Wales when he was in Philadelphia a few years ago. She said that Edward was shorter than Charles.

Well, that is odd, because Charles is suppose to be 5'11" (1.80 m) - Diana was 5'10" (1.78 m) - and Edward is suppose to be 6' (1.83 m). Is it possible that because he is slender he appears shorter? Is Charles more well built so that he would appear taller?

Its hard to find a picture of them side by side but from these pictures it looks like Charles is long in the torso and larger, Edward is short in the torso and leaner but long in the legs -

http://tinyurl.com/6w6vobo

http://tinyurl.com/83tbhv3

This is the closest i could find of them standing near each other and it does appear that Edward is leaning down ever so slightly to give Charles the kiss.

http://tinyurl.com/86r5z8u

Last edited:
Thank you for the pictures, iceflower :flowers:. I wish I knew about this earlier so that I could have gone and gotten some pictures of Edward arriving. Oh well, I'm sure there will be other visits in the future.

Oh what a pity....then let's hope for the next chance! :flowers:

Here are some pics and information about Prince Edward's stay in in Philadelphia on April 26, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** daylife gallery **

** washingtonexaminer.com: Prince Edward arrives in Philly for 2-day visit **

** phillytrib.com: Prince Edward visits Girard College **

On April 26 the Countess of Wessex was in Salisbury and Swanage.

She officially opened the new hostel for the homeless at Alabaré Place, visited Salisbury Cathedral Girl Choristers,
Salisbury Cathedral School and St. John Ambulance Training Centrein in Salisbury.
As President of Girlguiding United Kingdom Sophie later opened Girlguiding Swanage District Headquarters in the
Ebenezer Chapel in Swanage.

Here are some pics and articles:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gallery **

** salisburyjournal.co.uk: Countess makes occasions even more special **

** bournemouthecho.co.uk: Countess of Wessex opens new guiding headquarters in Swanage **

Sophie has always looked magnificent but here is a special radiance about her lately; during all her engagements she looks so genuinely happy!
Then again, she has all reasons to be content; she is a well-loved and hard-working member of the Royal Family, is married to a nice man with two gorgeous children, and looks better than ever. :)

Sophie has always looked magnificent but here is a special radiance about her lately; during all her engagements she looks so genuinely happy!
Then again, she has all reasons to be content; she is a well-loved and hard-working member of the Royal Family, is married to a nice man with two gorgeous children, and looks better than ever. :)

:previous:
You have wrote what I think too:). Thanks :flowers:

Sophie does indeed look radiant and happy. I love her smile, especially when interacting with children. I think she's very content with her life, and the contentment shows in how she carries herself in public, during her engagements. She's very sure of who she is, and what she needs to do, as well as happy to boot.

And she's the only royal to ride with the Queen when going to church services!;)

And she's the only royal to ride with the Queen when going to church services!;)

Oh, that is definitely something to smile about, especially if the weather is foul :D. I won't fancy walking in freezing cold and rain.

I am always struck by how much Edward looks like his Mother, much more than any of the other siblings.

Prince Edward has made an appearance in Mountain Brook, Alabama, Saturday, April 28, 2012 to promote the Duke of Edinburgh's Award.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** Birmingham hosts Prince Edward for award celebration (slideshow, video) **

Edward appears to be quite a nice guy, and I think he has probably got quite a good sense of humour. Thanks for the images. I do love his selection of ties! My favourite is his christening ties with bears on it.

I also think Edward looks the most like the Queen out of her children, and he looks a lot like King George VI. I find it funny that Edward looks like King George VI and Edward's daughter looks like Bertie's daughter. In some images you can see Edward and Louise in Bertie and Elizabeth.

There are some images of The Countess of Wessex's visit to the Shooting Star CHASE children’s hospice in Hampton, Middlesex, 25 April 2012.

1 + 2

Article and some more images

Sophie looks genuinely happy to be there, I love that. Her smile is so genuine, it's so pretty. It looks like Sophie is also wearing trousers again. Nice.

There are some images of The Countess of Wessex's visit to the Shooting Star CHASE children’s hospice in Hampton, Middlesex, 25 April 2012.

1 + 2

Sophie looks genuinely happy to be there, I love that. Her smile is so genuine, it's so pretty. It looks like Sophie is also wearing trousers again. Nice.

:previous:
AMAZING :flowers::flowers::flowers:
Sophie looks beautiful and happy, precious smile :heartflower:

Edward appears to be quite a nice guy, and I think he has probably got quite a good sense of humour. Thanks for the images. I do love his selection of ties! My favourite is his christening ties with bears on it.

I also think Edward looks the most like the Queen out of her children, and he looks a lot like King George VI. I find it funny that Edward looks like King George VI and Edward's daughter looks like Bertie's daughter. In some images you can see Edward and Louise in Bertie and Elizabeth.

Edward definitely has a diverse collection of ties. I love the one he wore to one of the racing events. It had horses on it, I believe. I'd imagine his sense of humor is pretty decent. His facial expressions are priceless at times. He also possesses a genuine smile.

1 + 2

Thank you for these :flowers:. I can never get tired of watching Sophie interact with children. She's always smiling, and getting down to their level, listening attentively to what they are telling her. It's lovely that she got to spend some time with the families that get help from the hospice. Getting a 'princess' for a visitor is always a treat for little ones, and a good listening ear can do wonders for parents.

1 + 2

Oh, that melts the heart just a little....;)
:butterfly::heart2:

Sophie looks amazing love the red jacket or is it a coat!!

Countess of Wessex delights at Shooting Star, Hampton
The Countess of Wessex joined in a sing-along session with disabled youngsters when she visited a hospice. The royal guest popped into Shooting Star house, in the Avenue, Hampton, where the children gave her a bouquet of flowers and some of the art they had been making to celebrate the Queen’s diamond jubilee.
Sophie is so natural with children. :)

She really is a delight; I love these stories of her visits to children.

:previous: Artemisia and Baroness, I second what you both said. Sophie is genuinely delighted when in company of children, and it's always a pleasure to read the stories behind the visits.

It's a bit like Falklands, isn't it? Spain and Argentine are always going to be upset about visits to Gibraltar and/or Falklands, so what are British Royals supposed to do - ignore those particular territories altogether?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom