Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 5: October 2009-July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All the royals ought to know that a cell phone is basically a radio and anyone with minimal skills can listen in. It goes without saying that everyone (even we commoners) should only use a land line for stuff you don't want anyone to hear...even though land lines can also be bugged.

I just read somewhere, think it was the Daily Mail, that Edward&Sophie decided not to get Lady Louise eye condition corrected because of the general anesthesia, but with todays medicine, isn't that a little odd? I mean my grandson was born with a heart condition that has required 5 surgeries&he is only 4. Wouldn't Lady Louise have an easier time in life if her parents had this condition corrected,assuming it can be corrected. I just wondered why they would make that kind of a decision since she will be in the publics eye as she gets older,even if they don't want it now.

I just read somewhere, think it was the Daily Mail, that Edward&Sophie decided not to get Lady Louise eye condition corrected because of the general anesthesia, but with todays medicine, isn't that a little odd? I mean my grandson was born with a heart condition that has required 5 surgeries&he is only 4. Wouldn't Lady Louise have an easier time in life if her parents had this condition corrected,assuming it can be corrected. I just wondered why they would make that kind of a decision since she will be in the publics eye as she gets older,even if they don't want it now.

She won't be in the public eye very much, except the big royal events such as Trooping of the colour, birthdays etc.
Some reports say she has had the correction, some reports say she hasn't.

I woudl take anything written in the Daily Mail with a grain of salt.

The fact remains that we don't know if Louise has had surgery or not. I found a lot of the reporting in that particular article to be a little bit insulting (inferring that they didn't have the surgery when there are conflicting reports that the she did or will have it later, saying that pictures weren't taken of Louise at the christening because of her eye, etc.) And of course, the readers just jumped in and bashed Edward and Sophie without knowing all the facts. But that is of course, par for the course with the DM readers.

If they have made this decision it would have been made on the best medical advice. Given the troubles with her birth there may very be underlying lung/breathing conditions that could cause a problem with a general anaesthetic.

If they have made this decision it would have been made on the best medical advice. Given the troubles with her birth there may very be underlying lung/breathing conditions that could cause a problem with a general anaesthetic.

Absolutely agree. We the public do not know, and do not need to know, about Louise's health problems. I'm sure Edward and Sophie have taken the best medical advice and who knows, in time to come things may change. It's totally up to them, and Louise.

I found the DM saying that Louise wasn't in James' Christening pic to be insulting too.

I'm sure Louise was in some christening photos

not just the one that was released to the public.

isn't it funny that we have waited and hoped for months to catch a glimpse of Lady Louise and now she will be protagonist in one of the most photographed days of history?

not just the one that was released to the public.

Exactly - they released what - two or three photos - one with the parents and one with the godparents/grandparents I think.

Thanks everyone for your answers, here in the states we get little to no information about the Wessex and I was just wondering if anyone heard anything else regarding her condition. You guys are correct, there maybe underlaying issues regarding her health that made them make the decision, if they actually did. They seem like very loving parents so I am sure they are looking out for both their children with the best intentions, I just wondered if it had been talked about or reported anywhere else. Thanks again

isn't it funny that we have waited and hoped for months to catch a glimpse of Lady Louise and now she will be protagonist in one of the most photographed days of history?

Indeed. I'm quite happy for the little girl, how exciting all this must be for her! :) Hope she'll enjoy herself to the full!

I am missing something here, is Lady Louise part of Kate's bridal party?

Anna Nicole Smith's little daughter is quite cute and has some similar, or perhaps the same, problem with one of her eyes. They did surgery, she had to wear a little patch on her eye for a while, then it seemed much better. Recently though it seems it has reverted a bit, but she is not much older than a toddler. Prince E's daughter is about seven? So I think people wonder why she can't have her eyes fixed. Perhaps besides surgery she would need to be old enough to make an effort, or do some sort of physiotherapy with her eyes to strengthen them? I can only imagine the teasing though she is or will be getting from schoolmates :sad:. Kids are not generally very kind about those things.

I do not see any problem with "the public" being concerned about Louise and her eye condition/health. Many parents love nothing better than discussing their children, and so I can imagine Prince Edward would appreciate the empathy and interest in his daughter as long as it does not become too intrusive....

A question: when I do a photo search online pictures come up stating they are James' christening (even if I search for Louise's photo) and if they are captioned correctly (and it is him and not Louise) he had, or has, a similar eye problem as well. Does anyone have access to photos from both christenings to compare?

Last edited:
Thanks for that photo though KittyAtlanta! :flowers:

I like the way Prince Edward has his hand on her back and is looking down with fatherly concern. If I even try to cross my eyes for a moment I become very dizzy, my vision heavily impaired so I have to marvel how she seems to walk so well?

Regarding the Lady Louise's condition, I had read - sorry cannot recall where - that the reason behind their decision was that she had had so much medical intervention already that they made the decision to give her some time for her systems to recover and get stronger. Made sense to me. They certainly must want what is best for her - weighed all the options - and decided it was best to wait.

I had this condition at birth myself. I never had surgery, as surgery of the eye was still primitive. I wore an eyepatch from age 18 months until I was 20. This long exercise corrected the problem. I'm now 63 and all is well. I hope this turns out to be the same for Lady Louise.

I had this condition at birth myself. I never had surgery, as surgery of the eye was still primitive. I wore an eyepatch from age 18 months until I was 20. This long exercise corrected the problem. I'm now 63 and all is well. I hope this turns out to be the same for Lady Louise.

My uncle had the same thing as a child apparently, wore an eye patch for a while when younger & it corrected it perfectly.

I empathize with her. She seems to do very well, always very smiley, I think she walks normally from what I have seen. I just meant with the vision issue it must tax her balance and perhaps even depth perception?

I hope she can have it fixed as well as possible as soon as she can, safely of course.

As for KittyAtlanta and Rossop sharing their experiences with the condition I am very happy for Kitty herself and Rossop's uncle overcoming this. I wrote that earlier in the thread that perhaps it would work for Louise because she is about 7, where Anna Nicole Smith's daughter is about 4? and probably it is much harder to get her to keep the patch on, get her to do eye exercises, etc. Thanks for sharing that information! It is so good to hear that though difficult this condition can be overcome. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lady Louise

The condition does bear on inadequate depth perception. Mine did not go totally away, but is not life altering. I can drive without corrective lenses and do everything else that requires pretty good vision. Stairs can be a problem, but only going down.

I have much hope for the young Lady.

Being a person with a visual impairment myself, I can relate to Lady Louise, and the other posters on the forum. I had to wear an eye patch over each eye for a certain amount of time, however it did nothing for me. Anyway, I'm now finishing up on my Masters in education for those with visual impairment, and from what I remember from my anatomy of the eye class, wearing an eye patch when one has exotropia (I believe Louise has that condition) will basically get the stronger eye to basically be the eye that is responsible for getting all the images and such. The weaker eye will not even be used as the time goes on. I hope this made sense, but if not, I'll try to look back in my notes and explain it clearer, if anyone is interested.

I wonder if Louise is getting any vision services along with some orientation and mobility training. The O&M will help her deal with the depth perception, and travel safely. I'm guessing her impairment is not severe enough to warrant cane or braille use.

One would suppose that Lady Louise was receiving the best of care for her eye condition.
My child was born with turned in eyes due to a difficult birth.
He, at six weeks, was under the best Eye Surgeon in Melbourne.
He was advised to wear eye patches from three months of age. They were really easy to wear due to them being sticky around the edges.
I was taught how to visually assess which eye was behaving the stronger of the two each day. Then I would patch the stronger eye. The reason for this was to keep both eyes equally strong in vision and in contact with the brain so that one eye did not loose it's sight, and to prepare for the eyes to have surgury with a similar amount of muscle adjustment to each eye..
At age ten months (as early as was safe to do so) he had both eyes' inner muscles operated on. This went fine and he looked great until nine years of age when one turned in again due to him having a muscle growth spurt. Again the patching was done before the operation and again it was very successful. Some patching and eye testing, to encourage both eyes to become equally strong occured for some months after that.
Now my son is 26 and his eyes each have 20/20 vision, he does not need to wear glasses, he looks great, only having one eye occasionally
veer inwards slightly if he is really tired. No one would ever know.
My son's brain will never let both eyes see at the exact same time.
So he uses his eyes, subconsiosly, intermittedly (very fast of course).
Some of the cues that people with normal vision use to judge distance
my son can not do but his brain has adapted using other cues.
He played ball sports at the same level as his friends, taking a little longer to grasp the basics like catching and kicking before he grew in confidence. His three D is to 1.5 mm so he can't do the 'coloured dot'
three D puzzles. Otherwise, he has been very lucky. My son's doctor was brilliant - having earnt a high reputation due to his success.
Each case would vary I would think. At the paediatric eye clinic where my son attended many children had patches, some surgery as well and some children wore glasses as part of their treatment. I would think the degree of impairment might be different for each child.
A child like Lady Louise would have access to the very best of care so I trust that her treatment has been totally appropriate.

Thank you everyone for sharing their personal stories about similiar eye problems.

I must admit that I was aware of what the press was saying in relation to Lady Louise's eye issue but it didn't connect with me until you shared your experiences.

If anything this additional knowledge just makes me more mad that the press and the naysayers with the nasty comments just don't get it and are quick to rush to judgement without knowing all the facts. And really, we still don't know the particulars with Lady Louise. And frankly, I don't think its our business.

Zonk, thanks for your patience about eye problems. I think we just wanted, in some way, to express that congenital defects don't have to diminish a person's value to the rest of the world.

As for little Louise stumbling, she is at that awkward age when her center of gravity is changing. Kids her age are always falling down, whether they have vision problems or not.

She's a sweet little girl.

I have never seen Louise stumble before, but as you say all kids seem to do that. I grew in spurts where I was so awkward.

Thanks again to everyone who has shared their personal and family stories about their eye conditions. It is so good to hear that this can and has been overcome very successfully. :flowers:

As for it being our business, no, nothing of their lives really is, yet I have to think that Prince Edward and the rest of his family would be appreciative that people have such care for his daughter. Those who question if Louise has had care for her health are likely just thinking of the little girl, who must depend at this young age on her parent's care. I'm sure they just don't want to see Louise suffering if it could be prevented and become passionate about it and aim their frustration at the only people they can the parents.

All the good luck to Louise, and I just hope little James does not have the same difficulty.

Great posts everyone! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom