Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 6: July 2011-January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But they might be on friendly terms just because they are the ones who are always sent!

Imo, that's why the RF should send William or Harry, so they can get to know the continental royals and have a good relationship in the future.
William and Guillaume are the same age; why wouldn't they have more in common than with Edward?

(But it's like these events are some tiresome chore given to those who have nothing better to do! I know that's probably not the intent, but that's how it comes across to me).

Why send someone the wedding couple don't know or may not even like?
We know Edward and Sophie are firm friends with the majority of royals on the continent. It is even possible to assume that Edward and Sophie were invited themselves. I hate the way people think sending Sophie and Edward is a raw deal. You can see that Charles and William have and are unlikely to make any effort, so sending people who might actually enjoy themselves makes sense.

I think this is a complete misnomer that Charles & Camilla are not engaged with their royal counterparts. Just as an example, when C&C visited Stockholm easier this year, in his speech, the King revealed that Queen Silvia had recently made an impromptu visit to Highgrove - none of this was in the public domain until the Kings speech, and hardly the sign of a couple who do not know each other well. Similarly, at the dinner reception at BP that C&C hosted in May this year for visiting monarchs in connection with the diamond Jubilee, Camilla and Maria-Teresa of Luxembourg greeted each other with a familiarity and warmth that would suggest that the ladies know each other well. Similarly, Queen Margarethe clearly indicated in one the interviews she gave earlier this year (to either CNN or the BBC) that she meets up with Queen Beatrix and QE2 regularly. When pressed about where these meetings may take place, she replied "here and there", or something similar. None of these interactions are typically in the public domain, but corroborate my general view that HM, DoE, C&C are very careful of not being seen hobnobbing with too many royals at very public events, but do often see them privately.

As regards W&C, I suspect once they are full time working royals, you may see them engage a bit more and start to attend weddings of European royals, though I suspect this upcomign weding in Luxembourg may be the last big royal wedding for some time.

Why is it important for W&C to have 'good working relations' with continental royals? Royal Families don't 'work' together and Britain's focus has always been on the realms.
If Edward and Sophie like this sort of thing, then they should go.

Last edited:
Edward looks really tired in some of the photos. Thanks for the image links! Looking forward to seeing them at the wedding.

Thanks for the links MagMil!!

Sophie always looks like she's having a blast when she's w/her Regiments. Love that first picture of her in full Military gear. She's just beaming. Love it!!

Hi people, after some health problems I back.
I have a little question, sophie in the wedding gala used a new tiara?

I'm confused. I think The Earl of Wessex was wearing the dress uniform of the Rifles today. That is certainly the badge of the rifles on his hat and the Crossbelt has the appropriate lion and badge. (badge of the rifles: http://www.army.mod.uk/images/corps-badges/badges_rifles_74x74.jpg) But he is Col. of the London Regiment (badge here: http://www.army.mod.uk/images/corps-badges/74x74_lonregbadge.jpg)

I admit to being American and not military - so all this tends to confuse me. Can anyone offer any clarity about PE's dress uniform today?

Last edited:
I'm confused. I think The Earl of Wessex was wearing the dress uniform of the Rifles today. That is certainly the badge of the rifles on his hat and the Crossbelt has the appropriate lion and badge. (badge of the rifles: http://www.army.mod.uk/images/corps-badges/badges_rifles_74x74.jpg) But he is Col. of the London Regiment (badge here: http://www.army.mod.uk/images/corps-badges/74x74_lonregbadge.jpg)

I admit to being American and not military - so all this tends to confuse me. Can anyone offer any clarity about PE's dress uniform today?

Edward has the choice of several British uniforms.

Royal Honorary Colonel of the Royal Wessex Yeomanry
<LI sizset="false" sizcache04200303780550166="81 98 799"> Royal Honorary Colonel of the London Regiment[31] <LI sizset="false" sizcache04200303780550166="81 98 806"> Royal Colonel of the 2nd Battalion, The Rifles <LI sizset="false" sizcache04200303780550166="81 98 812"> Honorary Air Commodore Royal Air Force Waddington <LI sizset="false" sizcache04200303780550166="81 98 817"> Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary

Edward has the choice of several British uniforms.

Royal Honorary Colonel of the Royal Wessex Yeomanry
<LI sizset="false" sizcache04200303780550166="81 98 799"> Royal Honorary Colonel of the London Regiment[31] <LI sizset="false" sizcache04200303780550166="81 98 806"> Royal Colonel of the 2nd Battalion, The Rifles <LI sizset="false" sizcache04200303780550166="81 98 812"> Honorary Air Commodore Royal Air Force Waddington <LI sizset="false" sizcache04200303780550166="81 98 817"> Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary

Thanks - I used the wrong sources for his honorary roles. :whistling:

May I ask what the gold braids are for?

^^^^^
they indicate that he is a personal ADC to HM The Queen.

Sunshine, I made it myself from a cap from the Wedding service.

Great blog post - I do hope it is true! It's rare here in the US for flights to have empty seats, these days. I assume the Duke was playing Spider Solitaire on his laptop the entire flight. :lol:
Luxembourg to London on a Sunday afternoon would not be the busiest route in the system or the longest flight for the Eark and Countess.

I would love to see them on a flight back, just chilling side by side doing regular things on a flight. I would try to listen into their conversation because I am nosy like that!

Hi, has any of you found photos from yeserday events?:
1st November 2012
Patron, Vision 2020: The Right To Sight, will attend the Thirtieth Anniversary celebrations of ORBIS at Royal Hospital Chelsea, London SW3.
will attend the WheelPower Dinner, Bridgewater House, 14 Cleveland Row, Westminster, London.

No, sorry, annaelfka.

Today, The Countess of Wessex presented Operational Service Medals for duty in Afghanistan to 22 Field hospital, Aldershot troops on November 2, 2012 in Aldershot, England.

One and Two

More images here: GettyImages + RexFeatures

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom