Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: March-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, maybe someone should remind her to invite them. Hopefully they will start attending next year. We have yet to get a regalia event out the Cambridge's. If not a State Banquet, then at least next months or December's Reception for the Royal Diplomatic Corps. Then again, this kind of event slips by without much of a mention and pictures.

Last edited:
Dman;1612174 [U said:
Martin ‏@MartinRoyalUK [/U]16h
They will not, however, be at the State Banquet for the President of South Korea next month. #WilliamandKate

What will it take to get those two attend a State Banquet?

Well, clearly all our hopes and outrage that it has not yet happened are not working. ;)

...Or rather command them

This is just my opinion but I think the Queen respects William and his choices. She nudges, but except for the Irish Guards black coat, I think she rests easy with his choices.

She learned a lot while watching her own boys become the men they are. And I think she is realistic enough to know that every action, even a monarch's can cause unexpected reactions in family.

Will's a sound man with a sound wife. Not much reining in required. (Horsey pun intended)

I just think The Queen is used to inviting the same people over and over again. You always get the Wessex's, Gloucester's, Kent's Princess Royal, etc. I think she have to remember there's a new royal couple in town too.

I just think The Queen is used to inviting the same people over and over again. You always get the Wessex's, Gloucester's, Kent's Princess Royal, etc. I think she have to remember there's a new royal couple in town too.

But we don't know whether or not she invited W&C.

If she actually invited, they would go, IMO. As William said (paraphrase) when she says she wants something, it happens.

Yeah, William & Catherine wouldn't turn down an important State event like that, if they were invited.

Yes. That is a good question. As senior royals, arent William and Catherine supposed to attend a state dinner? Or maybe I should say, arent they required to attend? I thought now that they are considered senior royals they would have to be doing these things. Am I wrong?

As they are senior royals, you would think they would attend. Perhaps next year?

Will they go to the Festival of Remembrance at the Albert Hall in a couple of weeks?

But why would they have to wait until next year? Is there a certain protocol which demands they wait a year? I dont understand. Being senior members now I thought meant the beginning of all sorts of things including state dinners and more travel, more royal duties?

State dinners are carefully planned. List of guests is approved by the government. Queen can't simply add William and Kate. To do this she must withdraw two guests or two royals (who also have their working plan). Places around the table are limited.

Yes. That is a good question. As senior royals, arent William and Catherine supposed to attend a state dinner? Or maybe I should say, arent they required to attend? I thought now that they are considered senior royals they would have to be doing these things. Am I wrong?

Not all of the royals go to all of the State dinners. The emphasis is on State, not Royal, so politicians and diplomats are priorities, I should think. Also much depends on the scale of the entourage with the visiting Head of State and the core reason for the visit. And finally, if the Head of State is also a Monarch.

It always seemed to me to be a strange brew of all of these things so not easy (at least for me) to work out who would, opposed to who could, attend.

But why would they have to wait until next year? Is there a certain protocol which demands they wait a year? I dont understand. Being senior members now I thought meant the beginning of all sorts of things including state dinners and more travel, more royal duties?

They don't have to wait for next year. I was just stating that perhaps they will start attending next year. The Queen is the one that approve the list of royals attending and other guest. I think the Cambridge's should be attending. We just see the same royals attending every year over and over again.

It would be nice if they attended the Festival of Remembrance after the Cenotaph service.

They don't have to wait for next year. I was just stating that perhaps they will start attending next year. The Queen is the one that approve the list of royals attending and other guest. I think the Cambridge's should be attending. We just see the same royals attending every year over and over again.

It would be nice if they attended the Festival of Remembrance after the Cenotaph service.

Festival of Remembrance is before the Cenotaph service :flowers:

I meant the service at the Royal Albert Hall.

I think we are doing a tango around this one! Festival of Remembrance is the service at the Albert Hall on the Saturday and then there is Remembrance Day Service at the Cenotaph on the Sunday. I think we are agreeing :flowers:

The Queen is not the one that approve the list of royals.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office do it also. The Queen can't change list without Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

The Queen is not the one that approve the list of royals.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office do it also. The Queen can't change list without Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

I think you may be talking about the actual guest list but I'm talking about the attendance of the British royals. I think if some of the senior members of the royal family's schedules are clear, she invite or asks who would like to attend in advance. The usual royals who attend are, Charles & Camilla, the Wessex's, Gloucester's and Kent's. I'm just saying wondering when the Cambridge's will start attending? Not that it matters much because we hardly get any good pictures and video of the State event, which is very much a sad case, IMO.

Last edited:
Not all of the royals go to all of the State dinners. The emphasis is on State, not Royal, so politicians and diplomats are priorities, I should think. Also much depends on the scale of the entourage with the visiting Head of State and the core reason for the visit. And finally, if the Head of State is also a Monarch.

It always seemed to me to be a strange brew of all of these things so not easy (at least for me) to work out who would, opposed to who could, attend.

I also think the Queen is well aware that If they attend, it sorta becomes the Will and Kate first state dinner, instead of a dinner to host a foreign dignitary. There is almost no photo coverage of the attendees at these events - which would mean a great hue and cry over not being able to see what Kate wore.
I remember one of the last tiara dinners Sophie attended. People were losing it because we could not see her dress/tiara well. Just imagine what would happen if we could not ID Kate's shoes. The world would quit spinning on its axis.
I've said elsewhere that I think the Queen understands the value to a family of being able to stay home with the kiddies (as she was not able to do). I think she knows how many children W and K want to have and over what period of time and she has adjusted her requirements from the pair accordingly to fit the growing family.
I think she's a wise great grandma. And I am off topic AGAIN!

I don't think The Queen care about the coverage William & Catherine would be getting. They will have to attend at some point but they haven't done so, even before George was born. I just think it would be great to see William & Catherine attend a State Banquet for once, even if we don't get any pictures. I think the official YouTube site uploads the speeches.

Judging by who the usual suspects are that attend the state dinners, they're all first- or second-generation Royals. William (and Kate) are third-generation Royals. That may play into whether or not they're invited to attend. Just guessing...

Maybe they should do a black tie/tiara dinner in Australia or New Zealand so it gets the first one out of the way instead stealing what little coverage of a UK state dinner. Those state dinners during the South Asian tour were the weirdest thing with the ladies in gowns but the guys in regular suits.

Judging by who the usual suspects are that attend the state dinners, they're all first- or second-generation Royals. William (and Kate) are third-generation Royals. That may play into whether or not they're invited to attend. Just guessing...

William, his brother, and the Yorks are a rarity in that they're adult third generation royals though. In Europe pretty much all other third generation royals are more the age of the Wessexes or George. The second generation royals are often closer in age to William than his father.

New engagement: William and Kate to meet London Poppy Day supporters at Kensington Palace, November 7.

William, his brother, and the Yorks are a rarity in that they're adult third generation royals though. In Europe pretty much all other third generation royals are more the age of the Wessexes or George. The second generation royals are often closer in age to William than his father.

Absolutely right, an interesting situation. On the other hand, they have more people than any other European Royal Household to bring enough Royals to Charity and other events (maybe except the Netherlands, with the extended RF).
Not too bad either :lol:
BYe Bine

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 2h
2,000 uniformed personnel collecting for the 8th annual London Poppy Day on November 7, funds going towards the national 2013 Poppy Appeal

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 2h
The Royal British Legion, the nation's biggest Armed Forces charity, is hoping to raise £37 million from its nationwide poppy appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom