Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: September 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Too funny! Typical guy lol

LaRae

I'm so glad to see grown up and married Harry is still just Harry! Never Change!!

I thought the launch was great and Doria looked amazing. Harry was beaming with pride and Meghan gave a great speech.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was an interesting question to me since there seemed to be a consensus building on this board that the inclusion of in-laws in official events was a Great Advance for the BRF, and I was wondering what the limits of that would be.

I am not sure Meghan bringing her mother along for an official engagement can be a "Great Advance for the BRF" at all. I an all for continued inclusion of the in-laws in the private lives, and frankly, I have no major objection to Doria attending today's event, but I fail to see how it is a "Great Advance for the BRF". In what context do you think it moves the game on for the BRF?

I am not sure Meghan bringing her mother along for an official engagement can be a "Great Advance for the BRF" at all. I an all for continued inclusion of the in-laws in the private lives, and frankly, I have no major objection to Doria attending today's event, but I fail to see how it is a "Great Advance for the BRF". In what context do you think it moves the game on for the BRF?

It's been awhile, but I think you and I agree here. It's nice that Doria was included here. And I think in this specific case, it was a nice and the right decision. It doesn't need to more or less than that. Each royal will assess their own situation on case by case basis and go from there.

.......but this is a milestone moment for Meghan, and quite successful on............

I agree it was a milestone event for Meghan, and quite a successful one. The problem is that the focus of the commentary today has not been on the cause, but on Doria's inclusion. To me, that takes the shine of it.

“When are we going to see Carole Middleton joining the Duchess of Cambridge on an official engagement? Soon, I hope. #royal”

Richard Eden, the diary editor from the DM having a poke at today.

I think we’re going to see some pushback articles in the following week.

I agree it was a milestone event for Meghan, and quite a successful one. The problem is that the focus of the commentary today has not been on the cause, but on Doria's inclusion. To me, that takes the shine of it.

There has been plenty of commentary on the cause. Not just today, but since it's been announced. It's only been this way here because people choose to make mountains out of molehill again. But there has been plenty of mentions about the event and the community it supports. And funnily, press has actually been less of a problem on this issue. Maybe the protocol police are on their lunch break.:lol:

Last edited:
There has been plenty of commentary on the cause. Not just today, but since it's been announced.

In which case, from the perspective of "the cause", today's event need not have taken place.

It's only been this way here because people choose to make mountains out of molehill again. But there has been plenty of mentions about the event and the community it supports.

I think ammunition has needlessly been provided to the press, without any upside. For a relaxed event that was not Meghan's "first" solo cause, Doria could well have come along, and nobody would have batted an eyelid.

In which case, from the perspective of "the cause", today's event need not have taken place.

I think ammunition has needlessly been provided to the press, without any upside. For a relaxed event that was not Meghan's "first" solo cause, Doria could well have come along, and nobody would have batted an eyelid.

To celebrate the launch of the book is not unusual. The women certainly deserve it. As well as everyone that worked to get this out. And it certainly gave more highlights to the cause. Just because something is already a success, doesn't mean you can't come together and celebrate the successful completion of the book and the women behind the stories (recipes). I think it was a brilliant idea.

Here is the thing, I'm not sure what ammunition was given. They aren't firing any shots. The first time Doria comes along to something, there is always going to be people batting an eyelid, so to speak.

And if the tune turns in a few days, so what? They all had a good event and had a great time celebrating a good cause. There will always be something for people and press to whine about.

Last edited:

So why should they have batted an eyelid today? This was a relaxed event and because it was her "first" it was a nice gesture.

It's less about about a slippery slope but rather something that the royals and their families understand that now can be done sparingly at the right event under the right circumstance

It's less about about a slippery slope but rather something that the royals and their families understand that now can be done sparingly at the right event under the right circumstance

This!! People are acting as if Meghan had her mother roll up to the opening of Parliament.

Time, place and manner are important

This was such a special day for Meghan but also the ladies who created the dishes. They all seemed very happy to have Meghan's mother present. Since this was more of a Royal Foundation event it was not a traditional formal engagement.

I look forward to seeing what Meghan does in the future along with the foundation.

She accomplished so much in a short amount of time.

Anyways, I just have to give a shout out to one of the ladies from Hubb, Intlik Al Saiegh. She's the lady wearing mostly blue being interviewed in the KP video. She's in all green today. She was interviewed again by one of the stations. I have to say, she's my absolute favorite person. I realize all the ladies are special and I find joy watching them all. But for some reason, she just strikes me as a woman who lives life and LOVES it. It makes me feel joy and comfort when I watch her that makes me feel like I'm listening to my own grandmother.

And I just love how warm it is between Meghan and various people present at the event today. One of the broadcaster said it best "it felt more like a reunion than official business". It's clear that Meghan has built a bond with these women.

Last edited:
What a lovely event. I have loved every video and picture, such a great initiative and Meghan truly shined. I loved seeing Doria, the women who was integral in shaping Meghan's cultural views and affinity for cooking, proudly present at this private, intimate and unique event. You can see what a kind and graceful women she is. Harry beaming with pride and happiness -- seeing him this happy is all I have ever wanted for him.

This picture really captures my personal emotions after today: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnjoS6qXcAATt5A.jpg:large

Last edited:

From the perspective of the cause, the goal is to get people talking about the initiative and sell books. Today's event will definitely generate more book sales. Monday was the soft launch largely via social media. Then today we get a more typical press event with the royal rota to cover that base. 2+ days of coverage instead of 1. That's smart PR. Now everybody has their photo opps, quotes, and can do their in-depth analysis of the initiative.

I would hope we'll get some kind of update on sales numbers from KP which will drive another round of coverage on the cookbook's success.

What a lovely event. I have loved every video and picture, such a great initiative and Meghan truly shined. I loved seeing Doria, the women who was integral in shaping Meghan's cultural views and affinity for cooking, proudly present at this private, intimate and unique event. You can see what a kind and graceful women she is. Harry beaming with pride and happiness -- seeing him this happy is all I have ever wanted for him.

This picture really captures my personal emotions after today: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnjoS6qXcAATt5A.jpg:large

I read about how Harry encouraged one of the ladies to get counseling. Also the expanded kitchen will include both men and children!! What a great event!

You just cannot fake pure, unadulterated love and happiness. Ever. :D

Always get a man who cheers for you the same way you would cheer for him!

Except it’s not the boys. It’s Harry. Family support is great but attending public engagements is completely different. Doria is even mentioned on KP social media.

The monarchy is changing, but unfortunately not for the better.

agree :(

“It is unprecedented for family members to attend royal engagements.

That is why the appearance of Doria Ragland alongside the Duchess of Sussex at the launch of her new charity cookbook so surprised royal watchers.

Sitting in the front seat of a Land Rover Discovery with her daughter and son-in-law in the back, she stepped out and greeted the waiting guests with the words: 'Hi, I'm Meg's mom.'

Meghan's decision to bring her mother along to the Kensington Palace event is another sign of her willingness to gently push the boundaries of royal traditions.

Other examples include inviting the charismatic US preacher Michael Curry to speak at St George's Chapel during the royal wedding, introducing a lively contrast to the sedate sermons typical of royal weddings.”

From the Mail Online article posted up thread. I think we’ll see some criticism over the next week about Doria being included in royal engagements.
Well, if the criticism is this badly informed using the example of inviting Curry as if that was Meghan's idea while it was the archbishop of Canterbury's, I don't see a reason to take it seriously.

Meghan was not representing the queen here but launching one of her own charity projects, so glad to see that Meghan feels free to continue the BRF's more recent tradition of including family members at less formal events.

We can see the slippery slope this has created. It’s subjective. I can guarantee if Carole Middleton rolled up in a government Range Rover at a royal engagement and got out and treated guests with a “hi, I’m kate’s Mom”, this board would be berserk. I remember the days when this board would go berserk just for Kate visiting with her mom.

So, what was the board's response when Catherine had Pippa join her for Wimbledon taking the central seats in the men's finals in 2012 using a Range Rover to arrive and leave together. Greeting dignataries etc. Did it lead to an enormous outcry?:whistling:

Also Mette-Marit's mother was on some of the official events of her daughter... Also abroad...I think it is very nice gesture, why not? It costs nothing for the monarchy, or yes...?

Another example from abroad: on Tuesday Máxima's mother and youngest brother attended Prinsjesdag - not the event in the Ridderzaal itself but they surely joined for the official lunch at the palace afterwards - for the first time (most likely because her father would not have been an approved guest at such an event, so now she is widowed her mother can freely attend these kind of events occassionally).

Meghan was not representing the queen here but launching one of her own charity projects, so glad to see that Meghan feels free to continue the BRF's more recent tradition of including family members at less formal events.

So, what was the board's response when Catherine had Pippa join her for Wimbledon taking the central seats in the men's finals in 2012 using a Range Rover to arrive and leave together. Greeting dignataries etc. Did it lead to an enormous outcry?:whistling:

First, Catherine was not patron of Wimbledon at the time and therefore attending the event was not work. Second, I only have an issue with Doria arriving with Meghan and Harry because this is work and therefore transportation is tax-payer funded. Doria arriving in the car with them shouldn’t happen. Hopefully, it’ll be addressed next time.

Other than that I think it was a wonderful event and initiative. I loved that her mother attended her first personal event and project launch as a royal. I highly doubt it will be a habitual thing. She was very well-spoken and it’s right in line with her interests. Harry and her mother seemed very proud. Meghan should be proud. I’ll glad it was a more private event and not too big so that she could feel more at home and at ease. It must be daunting to do these events solo at first so I’m glad she had support.

First, Catherine was not patron of Wimbledon at the time and therefore attending the event was not work. Second, I only have an issue with Doria arriving with Meghan and Harry because this is work and therefore transportation is tax-payer funded. Doria arriving in the car with them shouldn’t happen. Hopefully, it’ll be addressed next time.

So if we all start a Go Fund Me for Doria's 10 dollar cab ride to the event, should we add 5 bucks for gas that equals 15 dollars. I think if we all contribute a penny that will cover Doria's ride. Okay case closed!

It seemed like a great event and I love the idea behind it - I'd love to read the book! It was lovely that Doria attended to support her daughter, whom I can imagine she's very proud of. Meghan seems like a very easy and approachable person to talk with as I loved the photos of her meeting the survivors as they seemed really engaged in conversation. One can tell that Meghan feels very strongly about Grenfell and its survivors.

I just don’t see what the big deal is. Doria was there in a supportive role. Some of you are acting like she’s going to at every engagement now. The press can complain all they want.
It doesn’t matter. Meghan is doing s great job!

So if we all start a Go Fund Me for Doria's 10 dollar cab ride to the event, should we add 5 bucks for gas that equals 15 dollars. I think if we all contribute a penny that will cover Doria's ride. Okay case closed!

There’s no need to be snarky. It is a legitimate issue of taxpayer funding and how it is supposed to be used by royals when they are working. It’s a discussion for every British Royal. I’m not overly familiar with the legal aspects but I do have a basic understanding of how it’s supposed to be used. If you didn’t know that, fine, but you’re not funny nor well-informed apparently. She could have come in a different vehicle. That’s all.

First, Catherine was not patron of Wimbledon at the time and therefore attending the event was not work. Second, I only have an issue with Doria arriving with Meghan and Harry because this is work and therefore transportation is tax-payer funded. Doria arriving in the car with them shouldn’t happen.

Well, if Eugenie could have a carriage ride then Doria should be okey.

There’s no need to be snarky. It is a legitimate issue of taxpayer funding and how it is supposed to be used by royals when they are working. It’s a discussion for every British Royal. I’m not overly familiar with the legal aspects but I do have a basic understanding of how it’s supposed to be used. If you didn’t know that, fine, but you’re not funny nor well-informed apparently. She could have come in a different vehicle. That’s all.

Come on this is nonsense. The car is driving anyway and wether she is in it or not makes no difference. If she were the only one sitting in it you would have been right. But she’s not. Besides, the royal family basically funds itself via the Crown Estates. The only thing taxpayers pay for is police security.

I was more suprised they took a car. Wasn’t it on palace grounds?? Couldn’t they walk??

There have been many events attended by non-royals. I remember when Fergie attended an event to see Andrew before they where even engaged. https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/...arah-ferguson-take-prince-picture-id459610966

Did the UK ever get their money back when Diana and her sister attended a royal engagement:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom