The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Now that's what I have a problem with. An official photograph is not a photographer " sticking their nose in" - it's a measured response for an event that is of public interest because the Diplomatic service/ the British Royal Family are part of the British Establishment which people have a right to be interested in. A private event invitation is fine, we don't need to watch them eat, but equally it's reasonable to request a photographic record of the occasion without being accused of any invasion of privacy.

(Perhaps people haven't been interested before because they didn't know of this annual event)

Old 12-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
(Perhaps people haven't been interested before because they didn't know of this annual event)
This is likely to be the reason for lack of interest in previous years..

I realise this is the Queens decision, but feel she may be 'missing a trick', and hope that in the next reign things might be different.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Everyone knows this event takes place every year. The veteran royal reporters and correspondents knows this event takes place every year. Probably not the younger royal watchers but I've known about it for a very long time. It's just that very little to nothing is said about it. I have always thought this event should be at least photographed. No one is saying that there should be a photographer there throughout the entire reception but I think the royals should be pictured making that grand entrance with the fanfare and making those first greetings.

We got a picture of William & Catherine arriving at the reception but we didn't catch Charles & Camilla arriving.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

There are many many receptions held at BP for a range of reasons and most of them aren't photographed or even reported on. This event has been in the CC every year with no photos. I don't see the problem at all and see no reason for the tradition to change just because the European royals insist on sharing all these events with the public while the BRF are more low key.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Because there are so few tiara wearing occasions nowadays, I personally find this event has taken on more interest in recent years. I hadn't realised until fairly recently how large this event is. From what limited knowledge I have I understand that it is more significant than many receptions that take place during the year.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Serene Highness

I agree with everyone who´s disappointed that there are no real images of the occasion. But I didn´t really expect it as this has never been the habit. And there might be reasons why it is not done we do not know. I remember only two cases during the queen´s reign it had been filmed: The 1st one was for a documentary in the 1970s (can be watched somewhere on you tube) - I think it was at the time for HM´s Silver jubilee...?
The second case was for a documentary for the Queen´s 80th birthday (Camilla wore a smaller tiara than usual I didn´t know).
So, the palace won´t change this practice only because a young duchess appeared on the scene! It´s kind of sorry, but that´s the way it is.
I also wonder why, oh why, the Cambridges didn´t attend the state banquet when South Koreas president was in London for a state visit! Prince William even had an official engagement as you might know later with the president. It´s kind of a missed chance for keen royal watchers....
Maybe they´re worried of Kate getting all the attention (which undoubtedly would be the case), everyone only talking about the Duchesse´s hairstyle, jewelry, dress etc. while things that really matter about a state visit, bileteral relations and economic exchange, would be totally unmentioned.
This is just a presumption.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Well it's at times like this I lived in Denmark!
Old 12-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Majesty

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attended the private banquet| Spletnik.ru

Well ... The Duchess of Cambridge looked worn and tired.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent

It takes an event like this to realise just how "global" Catherine has become. The wedding, the birth of George, even the christening - its understandable.

But a half glimpsed picture of the 2nd tiara appearance was on the US websites within minutes of the pictures being live in the UK. Its across Europe, Asia etc.

There are marketing men crying in their beer saying "if only".

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I agree with everyone who´s disappointed that there are no real images of the occasion. But I didn´t really expect it as this has never been the habit. And there might be reasons why it is not done we do not know. I remember only two cases during the queen´s reign it had been filmed: The 1st one was for a documentary in the 1970s (can be watched somewhere on you tube) - I think it was at the time for HM´s Silver jubilee...?
The second case was for a documentary for the Queen´s 80th birthday (Camilla wore a smaller tiara than usual I didn´t know).
So, the palace won´t change this practice only because a young duchess appeared on the scene! It´s kind of sorry, but that´s the way it is.
I also wonder why, oh why, the Cambridges didn´t attend the state banquet when South Koreas president was in London for a state visit! Prince William even had an official engagement as you might know later with the president. It´s kind of a missed chance for keen royal watchers....
Maybe they´re worried of Kate getting all the attention (which undoubtedly would be the case), everyone only talking about the Duchesse´s hairstyle, jewelry, dress etc. while things that really matter about a state visit, bileteral relations and economic exchange, would be totally unmentioned.
This is just a presumption.
I'm hoping the Cambridge's will be able to attend the historic Irish State visit next April. Their attedence at the Royal Reception for the Diplomatic Corps is one of things that will prepare them for their future roles. I'm happy the royal couple are stepping up their game within the "Firm."

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post

she looks nervous

Old 12-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I'm hoping the Cambridge's will be able to attend the historic Irish State visit next April.
I'm hoping they won't.

As you say, it will be an historic event and so the focus should be on the occasion. If the Cambridges attend it won't be. Look at all the fuss on here just because someone wore a tiara.

Whenever their first state banquet is, it is going to take attention away from the occasion itself and all the focus will be on Kate. I'd rather it be something a little less historic than the Irish visit. It's symbolism is way too important to be a foot note to tiara's and royal family orders.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Courtier

Well I think the future King and Queen should be attending these things. I know they are not the heirs yet but HM is not getting any younger. What a way to start attending state banquets on such a historic occasion. I think the main reason they attended the diplomatic corps is to prepare them for future state banquets.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
I'm hoping they won't.

As you say, it will be an historic event and so the focus should be on the occasion. If the Cambridges attend it won't be. Look at all the fuss on here just because someone wore a tiara.

Whenever their first state banquet is, it is going to take attention away from the occasion itself and all the focus will be on Kate. I'd rather it be something a little less historic than the Irish visit. It's symbolism is way too important to be a foot note to tiara's and royal family orders.
The Cambridge's attendance at this upcoming State Visit will not distract from the purpose of this historic event. We just have to get used to the fact William & Catherine are senior members of the royal family and its their job to attend events like this.

The only reason why people made a big deal about Catherine's appearance at this event because everyone had been waiting for some time for her to appear in a tiara. She hadn't been seen in one since the wedding. The same has happened to the female royals before Catherine came on the scene. After the Cambridge's attend more of the events, everyone will get used to the appearances.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
I'm hoping they won't.

I am tending to agree with you and posted something similar to your post not too long ago. Now I'm having second thoughts on this as people have brought up some very interesting and valid points.

As pointed out, how it all goes down will be entirely up to HM. Perhaps she'll just want Charles and Camilla as they will be the next King and Queen Consort and important to establishing and maintaining the diplomacy between the UK and Ireland in non governmental aspects. Perhaps HM will feel its an occasion for ALL her family members to attend. We have to remember too that the Windsors are a family that have been hit close to home with the assassination of close relatives. Perhaps I should send Philip a note with a zingy one-liner he might appreciate and use. "We don't carry grudges. They shed horribly." Then again... maybe not.

While it is most certainly true that should Kate attend, within seconds of the first photo taken, it will have gone viral worldwide. Perhaps it would not totally derail the historic and importance of the banquet but even draw more attention to the occasion than if she hadn't attended.

We'll just have to watch and wait to see what happens with this.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Courtier

I don't want sound morbid but what if Charles is King by then? The Cambridges would have to go as heirs.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

To be clear, it's the paps and us who move the attention away from the rest of the family or any others. William and Kate always make sure that focus goes to the people they meet. Group photos always, when they control it.
The only answer is to dig a tunnel from KP to BP and thence to Windsor
And frankly - if I were the Irish I'd be put out if they did not bring in the Cambridges to meet and greet.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post

No, she doesn't. She looks just fine to me. I think some people are seeing what they WANT to see.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post

Well I think the future King and Queen should be attending these things. I know they are not the heirs yet but HM is not getting any younger. What a way to start attending state banquets on such a historic occasion. I think the main reason they attended the diplomatic corps is to prepare them for future state banquets.
They will - ~Charles and Camilla will be there

Old 12-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Royal Highness

Whether one thinks Catherine looks worn and tired or not, it cannot be surprising that a nursing mother looks that way. Anyone whose night sleep is broken several times every night will look tired.

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of cambridge, pippa middleton, prince harry, prince william, royal wedding