The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #561  
Old 12-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Elly C's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Worcester, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,381
Now that's what I have a problem with. An official photograph is not a photographer " sticking their nose in" - it's a measured response for an event that is of public interest because the Diplomatic service/ the British Royal Family are part of the British Establishment which people have a right to be interested in. A private event invitation is fine, we don't need to watch them eat, but equally it's reasonable to request a photographic record of the occasion without being accused of any invasion of privacy.

(Perhaps people haven't been interested before because they didn't know of this annual event)
__________________

  #562  
Old 12-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,444
Quote:
(Perhaps people haven't been interested before because they didn't know of this annual event)
This is likely to be the reason for lack of interest in previous years..

I realise this is the Queens decision, but feel she may be 'missing a trick', and hope that in the next reign things might be different.
__________________

  #563  
Old 12-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,202
Everyone knows this event takes place every year. The veteran royal reporters and correspondents knows this event takes place every year. Probably not the younger royal watchers but I've known about it for a very long time. It's just that very little to nothing is said about it. I have always thought this event should be at least photographed. No one is saying that there should be a photographer there throughout the entire reception but I think the royals should be pictured making that grand entrance with the fanfare and making those first greetings.

We got a picture of William & Catherine arriving at the reception but we didn't catch Charles & Camilla arriving.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #564  
Old 12-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 11,019
There are many many receptions held at BP for a range of reasons and most of them aren't photographed or even reported on. This event has been in the CC every year with no photos. I don't see the problem at all and see no reason for the tradition to change just because the European royals insist on sharing all these events with the public while the BRF are more low key.
  #565  
Old 12-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Elly C's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Worcester, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,381
Because there are so few tiara wearing occasions nowadays, I personally find this event has taken on more interest in recent years. I hadn't realised until fairly recently how large this event is. From what limited knowledge I have I understand that it is more significant than many receptions that take place during the year.
  #566  
Old 12-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 1,400
I agree with everyone who´s disappointed that there are no real images of the occasion. But I didn´t really expect it as this has never been the habit. And there might be reasons why it is not done we do not know. I remember only two cases during the queen´s reign it had been filmed: The 1st one was for a documentary in the 1970s (can be watched somewhere on you tube) - I think it was at the time for HM´s Silver jubilee...?
The second case was for a documentary for the Queen´s 80th birthday (Camilla wore a smaller tiara than usual I didn´t know).
So, the palace won´t change this practice only because a young duchess appeared on the scene! It´s kind of sorry, but that´s the way it is.
I also wonder why, oh why, the Cambridges didn´t attend the state banquet when South Koreas president was in London for a state visit! Prince William even had an official engagement as you might know later with the president. It´s kind of a missed chance for keen royal watchers....
Maybe they´re worried of Kate getting all the attention (which undoubtedly would be the case), everyone only talking about the Duchesse´s hairstyle, jewelry, dress etc. while things that really matter about a state visit, bileteral relations and economic exchange, would be totally unmentioned.
This is just a presumption.
  #567  
Old 12-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk/Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 5,739
Well it's at times like this I lived in Denmark!
__________________
JACK
  #568  
Old 12-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 7,438
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attended the private banquet| Spletnik.ru

Well ... The Duchess of Cambridge looked worn and tired.

__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
  #569  
Old 12-04-2013, 04:28 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,970
It takes an event like this to realise just how "global" Catherine has become. The wedding, the birth of George, even the christening - its understandable.

But a half glimpsed picture of the 2nd tiara appearance was on the US websites within minutes of the pictures being live in the UK. Its across Europe, Asia etc.

There are marketing men crying in their beer saying "if only".
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #570  
Old 12-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I agree with everyone who´s disappointed that there are no real images of the occasion. But I didn´t really expect it as this has never been the habit. And there might be reasons why it is not done we do not know. I remember only two cases during the queen´s reign it had been filmed: The 1st one was for a documentary in the 1970s (can be watched somewhere on you tube) - I think it was at the time for HM´s Silver jubilee...?
The second case was for a documentary for the Queen´s 80th birthday (Camilla wore a smaller tiara than usual I didn´t know).
So, the palace won´t change this practice only because a young duchess appeared on the scene! It´s kind of sorry, but that´s the way it is.
I also wonder why, oh why, the Cambridges didn´t attend the state banquet when South Koreas president was in London for a state visit! Prince William even had an official engagement as you might know later with the president. It´s kind of a missed chance for keen royal watchers....
Maybe they´re worried of Kate getting all the attention (which undoubtedly would be the case), everyone only talking about the Duchesse´s hairstyle, jewelry, dress etc. while things that really matter about a state visit, bileteral relations and economic exchange, would be totally unmentioned.
This is just a presumption.
I'm hoping the Cambridge's will be able to attend the historic Irish State visit next April. Their attedence at the Royal Reception for the Diplomatic Corps is one of things that will prepare them for their future roles. I'm happy the royal couple are stepping up their game within the "Firm."
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #571  
Old 12-04-2013, 04:53 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attended the private banquet| Spletnik.ru

Well ... The Duchess of Cambridge looked worn and tired.

she looks nervous
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #572  
Old 12-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Top End, Australia
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I'm hoping the Cambridge's will be able to attend the historic Irish State visit next April.
I'm hoping they won't.

As you say, it will be an historic event and so the focus should be on the occasion. If the Cambridges attend it won't be. Look at all the fuss on here just because someone wore a tiara.

Whenever their first state banquet is, it is going to take attention away from the occasion itself and all the focus will be on Kate. I'd rather it be something a little less historic than the Irish visit. It's symbolism is way too important to be a foot note to tiara's and royal family orders.
  #573  
Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ipswich, United Kingdom
Posts: 775

Well I think the future King and Queen should be attending these things. I know they are not the heirs yet but HM is not getting any younger. What a way to start attending state banquets on such a historic occasion. I think the main reason they attended the diplomatic corps is to prepare them for future state banquets.
  #574  
Old 12-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
I'm hoping they won't.

As you say, it will be an historic event and so the focus should be on the occasion. If the Cambridges attend it won't be. Look at all the fuss on here just because someone wore a tiara.

Whenever their first state banquet is, it is going to take attention away from the occasion itself and all the focus will be on Kate. I'd rather it be something a little less historic than the Irish visit. It's symbolism is way too important to be a foot note to tiara's and royal family orders.
The Cambridge's attendance at this upcoming State Visit will not distract from the purpose of this historic event. We just have to get used to the fact William & Catherine are senior members of the royal family and its their job to attend events like this.

The only reason why people made a big deal about Catherine's appearance at this event because everyone had been waiting for some time for her to appear in a tiara. She hadn't been seen in one since the wedding. The same has happened to the female royals before Catherine came on the scene. After the Cambridge's attend more of the events, everyone will get used to the appearances.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #575  
Old 12-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 9,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
I'm hoping they won't.

As you say, it will be an historic event and so the focus should be on the occasion. If the Cambridges attend it won't be. Look at all the fuss on here just because someone wore a tiara.

Whenever their first state banquet is, it is going to take attention away from the occasion itself and all the focus will be on Kate. I'd rather it be something a little less historic than the Irish visit. It's symbolism is way too important to be a foot note to tiara's and royal family orders.
I am tending to agree with you and posted something similar to your post not too long ago. Now I'm having second thoughts on this as people have brought up some very interesting and valid points.

As pointed out, how it all goes down will be entirely up to HM. Perhaps she'll just want Charles and Camilla as they will be the next King and Queen Consort and important to establishing and maintaining the diplomacy between the UK and Ireland in non governmental aspects. Perhaps HM will feel its an occasion for ALL her family members to attend. We have to remember too that the Windsors are a family that have been hit close to home with the assassination of close relatives. Perhaps I should send Philip a note with a zingy one-liner he might appreciate and use. "We don't carry grudges. They shed horribly." Then again... maybe not.

While it is most certainly true that should Kate attend, within seconds of the first photo taken, it will have gone viral worldwide. Perhaps it would not totally derail the historic and importance of the banquet but even draw more attention to the occasion than if she hadn't attended.

We'll just have to watch and wait to see what happens with this.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
  #576  
Old 12-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ipswich, United Kingdom
Posts: 775

I don't want sound morbid but what if Charles is King by then? The Cambridges would have to go as heirs.
  #577  
Old 12-04-2013, 06:12 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 5,005
To be clear, it's the paps and us who move the attention away from the rest of the family or any others. William and Kate always make sure that focus goes to the people they meet. Group photos always, when they control it.
The only answer is to dig a tunnel from KP to BP and thence to Windsor
And frankly - if I were the Irish I'd be put out if they did not bring in the Cambridges to meet and greet.
__________________
"And the tabloid press will be a pain in the ass, as usual." - Royal Norway
  #578  
Old 12-04-2013, 06:18 PM
COESpiral's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The South, United States
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attended the private banquet| Spletnik.ru

Well ... The Duchess of Cambridge looked worn and tired.

No, she doesn't. She looks just fine to me. I think some people are seeing what they WANT to see.
  #579  
Old 12-04-2013, 06:25 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post

Well I think the future King and Queen should be attending these things. I know they are not the heirs yet but HM is not getting any younger. What a way to start attending state banquets on such a historic occasion. I think the main reason they attended the diplomatic corps is to prepare them for future state banquets.
They will - ~Charles and Camilla will be there
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #580  
Old 12-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,729
Whether one thinks Catherine looks worn and tired or not, it cannot be surprising that a nursing mother looks that way. Anyone whose night sleep is broken several times every night will look tired.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of cambridge, pippa middleton, prince harry, prince william, royal wedding


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
British Royal Family Current Events 8: April 2015-January 2017 JessRulz Current Events Archive 1164 01-09-2017 06:20 PM
British Royal Family Current Events 7: January 2014-April 2015 Zonk Current Events Archive 793 04-02-2015 07:09 PM
British Royal Family Current Events 5: July 2011-March 2013 wbenson Current Events Archive 1204 04-01-2013 07:35 AM




Popular Tags
best gown best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events denmark duchess of cambridge far-right fashion poll general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king carl gustaf king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein margherita monarchy news november 2016 october 2016 picture of the week prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince nicholas prince oscar princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia gala dresses queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queenmother queen rania queen rania australia november 2016 queen silvia state visit state visit to denmark stephanie sweden swedish royal family united kingdom victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:20 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises