Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
We Are Not Amused: The Queen Victoria Quiz http://fb.me/8qrgcsbpg

I scored 21 out of 30. Not bad for me!!

27. I don't know everything. Lol

Old 11-27-2016, 07:45 AM
Courtier

I read somewhere lately that THAT famous statement by Queen Victoria was not, in fact her trademark statement!

The statement "We are not amused" was apparently delivered, and only once, during a dinner to a fellow diner who had a bit of a filter deficiency! His rather rough expressions of speach or inuendo was against Her Magesty's protocol, and she (probably sharply) took him to task! Good on her!

Old 11-27-2016, 08:08 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I also scored 27 out of 30 and to be totally honest, there were a few that I got right that I had to stop and think and answer solely by logic and not because I knew the answer.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Courtier

mhh I got 29 right .. that was an easy quiz
Old 11-27-2016, 02:14 PM
Serene Highness

29/30.
1 or 2 guesses.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:22 PM
Majesty

27. I wasn't sure how old she was for marriage and I messed up on albrrta death. Or second assasination reason.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

30/30 - however one of the questions doesn't have a correct answer anyway - the last one. Edward VII's reign was only 9 years and that wasn't an option so I went with 10 which they gave as correct.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:31 PM
Courtier

30/30 -

I totally guessed on the question regarding the motive of the person who tried to assassinate QV. I made an educated guess regarding the governing quote.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, same here 30/30, and squeaked it in for the same reason. I didn't know the person who tried to assassinate Vic was a disappointed poet! Lol!

They were also wrong on the age Victoria was when she married Albert. 21 was the 'correct' answer, only it wasn't. Victoria married in February 1840 and she wasn't 21 until the May.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:32 AM
Majesty

Ha! I did that test, too! Glad that I was not the only one who found out some mistakes...
Old 12-03-2016, 03:39 AM
Majesty

Victoria's Christmas bake off! Â*A new show reveals what Queen Victoria’s bakers cooked up at Christmas | Daily Mail Online
Old 12-03-2016, 06:12 AM
Courtier

History laid bare! Tums back then - a lot more robust than today ( ) , but always fasinating to see how live was lived then and now.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:56 AM
Majesty

How Queen Victoria's exchanges with servant John Brown stayed private | Daily Mail Online
Old 01-13-2017, 02:41 AM
Majesty

What You Need to Know About Queen Victoria and Prince Albert’s Romance—Before This Weekend’s Debut of Victoria - Vogue
Old 01-13-2017, 06:04 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
We Are Not Amused: The Queen Victoria Quiz http://fb.me/8qrgcsbpg

I scored 21 out of 30. Not bad for me!!
I scored 27 out of 30
Old 01-13-2017, 06:30 AM
Courtier

I scored 30 out of 30, but admit that about 20% of my answers were lucky guesses, or correct only through the process of elimination
Old 01-16-2017, 03:49 PM
Courtier

Well I got 28/30. Apparently the biographies I've read minimized her 'fits of anger' (I guessed depression) and I didn't know the answer to the one I guessed wrong on.
I watched Masterpiece Theater's opening episode of Victoria last night - interesting to compare it to the movie which came out several years ago and covered the same era of her life.
For those more knowledgable than I, does the PBS version fairly accurately portray the events?
Old 01-16-2017, 04:02 PM
Majesty

Maybe we should move a discussion of the PBS presentation of "Victoria" to the electronic library thread (?) but I do have to say that I was very much impressed by the first segment of this series. Some things about Victoria weren't blatantly obvious such as the first scene where she tells her governess that she can walk down the stairs by herself. Up to that point, her mother ensured that she never descended or ascended a flight of stairs unassisted.

The machinations of the powers behind the throne clearly, to me, showed how much courage it took for Victoria to overcome a lifetime of being treated like a fragile doll baby than a real person and just stand up for herself and those that she felt she could trust. Her attachment to Lord Melborne was excellently portrayed as it showed just how insecure and floundering she was a first in her role as Queen and also as a woman in her own right.

I really would have cheered immensely if they had taken a bit of poetic license with the show and had Victoria actually push her mother or Conroy down the stairs themselves or banished them away from her presence. They were excellently portrayed as the self serving villains they were.

Looking forward to segment two coming up.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:14 PM
Majesty

Movie and TV adaptations irritate the hell out of me. Every heroine needs to be a sylph-like ingenue. Victoria was very young, under 5 feet tall and plump as can be yet is invariably portrayed by older, taller and slimmer women.

How sexist is that, we have turned a great woman, Queen Victoria, a woman who reigned so long her era is called 'Victorian', into a pretty dolly! Good grief, they even imply she fell in love with Lord Melbourne, a man of 60 yet portrayed by a young and handsome man to give the notion credence.

The idea that Victoria would "fall in love" with such a man is laughable yet is now an accepted 'truth'!
Old 01-16-2017, 07:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Movie and TV adaptations irritate the hell out of me. Every heroine needs to be a sylph-like ingenue. Victoria was very young, under 5 feet tall and plump as can be yet is invariably portrayed by older, taller and slimmer women.

How sexist is that, we have turned a great woman, Queen Victoria, a woman who reigned so long her era is called 'Victorian', into a pretty dolly! Good grief, they even imply she fell in love with Lord Melbourne, a man of 60 yet portrayed by a young and handsome man to give the notion credence.

The idea that Victoria would "fall in love" with such a man is laughable yet is now an accepted 'truth'!
I actually didn't see it portrayed as much as Victoria "falling in love" with him but rather coming to rely on him and depend on him and his advice as someone she admired and could trust in an avuncular way. Now that you pointed it out though, it was a tad bit pointing towards insinuating that Victoria was falling for the man and he being "older and wiser" knew how to back off.

I guess too with the side story of Miss Skerritt and the chef seemingly heading towards a "illicit" type relationship that has absolutely nothing to do with historical facts kind of puts the required sexual and titillating elements that most productions feel they need to throw in there to keep the interest up.

Tags
biography, british history, debt, england, hanover, pictures, queen regnant, queen victoria, saxe-coburg-gotha, victoria