The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-07-2006, 05:13 AM
Commoner

Princess Helena (1846-1923) and Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein (1831-1917)

http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs6...tain1846-2.jpg
Princess Helena with her younger sister Princess Louise

http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs6...ritain1846.jpg
http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs6...tain1846-3.jpg
http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs6...tain1846-4.jpg
http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs6...tain1846-7.jpg
Princess Helena

http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs6...tain1846-5.jpg
http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs6...tain1846-6.jpg
Princess Helena with spouse Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein

And her biography:
http://www.geocities.com/jesusib/Helena.html

Daniela

Old 10-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Serene Highness

Is this the same princess, who was nick-named Lenchen? A daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince consort Albert?

Old 10-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Royal Highness

You are right, I did a quick search Lenchen + Queen Victoria and found it was her nickname indeed.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Serene Highness

I recently read about one of those sisters being named Helena and nick-named Lenchen. Lenchen would be a German nick form for Helena. Victoria and Albert spoke German with each other and with their children, so the Brittish royal family was practically German at the time!
Old 10-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna
I recently read about one of those sisters being named Helena and nick-named Lenchen. Lenchen would be a German nick form for Helena. Victoria and Albert spoke German with each other and with their children, so the Brittish royal family was practically German at the time!
Yes, so much in fact, that the rest of the British aristocracy called them "those Germans" It only stopped when George V and Mary who tried to bring up their children and marry them off as Englishly as possible!
Old 10-24-2006, 08:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Helena's genealogy
http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=en;i=116325

Few other photos of Queen Victoria's family!
http://www.btinternet.com/~sbishop100/
Old 10-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Royal Highness

I don't know about any of you, but the Victorian era seems like such a deppresing time to live in!
Old 10-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
I don't know about any of you, but the Victorian era seems like such a deppresing time to live in!
I think it was probably only depressing if you were poor. People who weren't poor had a wonderful time.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Yes, so much in fact, that the rest of the British aristocracy called them "those Germans" It only stopped when George V and Mary who tried to bring up their children and marry them off as Englishly as possible!
It didn't even start with Edward VII and Alexandra? Alexandra was Danish after all, not German? But then her parents were German, so who knows? But of course, George VI, who was George V:s and Mary's son, did get married to Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, a Scottish aristocrat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy
I think it was probably only depressing if you were poor. People who weren't poor had a wonderful time.
Your economy doesn't determine if you're happy or not. There will always be poor people, who are happier than some rich people. And I wonder how happy the princes and princesses of this era really were.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy
People were very restricted and ruled by very strict norms of behaviour. It was either to suppress all your individual ideas or to be socially ostracized. You lived within your small social circle and you abided by the fixed rules and it was a boring life in which one wrong step could ruin all. In order to create the right people for this kind of life you had to start to train your children early on and with extreme consequence. Books about childrens education during this time are books about torture - believe me. And the worst was thast there was not even the idea that something could be wrong with this lifestyle. It gives me the creeps just to think about it.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:43 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
It didn't even start with Edward VII and Alexandra? Alexandra was Danish after all, not German? But then her parents were German, so who knows? But of course, George VI, who was George V:s and Mary's son, did get married to Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, a Scottish aristocrat.
It probably started much before, when the Hannover family became monarchs in England!
Old 10-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Nobility

Is this the women that Princess Eugenie was named after? (Eugenie Victoria Helena) How is the name Helena pronounced? Is the accent on the first or second syllable?
Old 10-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
It probably started much before, when the Hannover family became monarchs in England!
I meant that they stopped talking German with the children even though they were Brittish.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Serene Highness

A picture of Helena and her husband.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Aristocracy

Helena and Christian's marriage was an arranged one, which many of the family were against, but it proved to be a happy union, with four children.

Helena and Christian were the only members of Queen Victoria's immediate family to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Serene Highness

I guess King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra would have too, if only Edward had gotten to live some years longer. But still, celebrating your 50th wedding anniversary has always been an achievement.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avareenah
Helena and Christian's marriage was an arranged one, which many of the family were against, but it proved to be a happy union, with four children.

Helena and Christian were the only members of Queen Victoria's immediate family to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.
I always get a tingle when reading about their 50th wedding anniversary because their nephew sent them a telegram - so what you say!! He was the Kaiser and the anniversary was during World War One - even in the middle of a war with Britain he still managed to remember his British aunt and her husband and get a congratulatory telegram to them.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:46 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I guess King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra would have too, if only Edward had gotten to live some years longer. But still, celebrating your 50th wedding anniversary has always been an achievement.
It is, yes, but I feel if Edward had lived long enough to celebrate his and Alexandra's Golden Wedding anniversary, it would have been somewhat of a hollow celebration, given the number of liaisons he had during his marriage, whereas Lenchen and Christian really seemed content together!
Old 10-30-2006, 03:49 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
I always get a tingle when reading about their 50th wedding anniversary because their nephew sent them a telegram - so what you say!! He was the Kaiser and the anniversary was during World War One - even in the middle of a war with Britain he still managed to remember his British aunt and her husband and get a congratulatory telegram to them.
Yes, amazing! That was one of the strange ways about Wilhelm II. He could be capable of great kindness while being almost brutal in his dealings with some -- his own family members too.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
Well, I still don't think the Kaiser had any reason to be ashamed of his mother being a Brittish princess. Britain was mightier than Germany, and Queen Victoria was still very much remembered. I think the Kaiser had every reason to be proud of having her as his grandmother. And his mother Victoria had probably taught him to appreciate his Brittish relations. So I don't see anything strange with the Kaiser sending a telegram to his Brittish aunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avareenah
It is, yes, but I feel if Edward had lived long enough to celebrate his and Alexandra's Golden Wedding anniversary, it would have been somewhat of a hollow celebration, given the number of liaisons he had during his marriage, whereas Lenchen and Christian really seemed content together!
Even with the infidelity, it would have been a 50th anniversary of a king's and queen's wedding, so I don't think it would be too hollow. Maybe between Edward and Alexandra, but not officially.

Tags
biography, british history, pictures, princess christian, princess helena, queen victoria, queen victoria's children, schleswig-holstein