The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Aristocracy

Question Marchioness of Londonderry and Edward VII?

While doing some research... I discovered this... is there any truth in this?

The 6th Marquess of Londonderry Vane-Tempest was born in London on 19 July 1852, the eldest of six children of Lord George Vane-Tempest, and his wife, Mary Cornelia Edward (died 1906), daughter of Sir John Edwards, 1st Baronet. He was educated at Eton College and at Christ Church, Oxford, and also spent a year studying at the Royal University of Ireland. On 2 October 1875, he married Lady Theresa Susey Helen Chetwynd-Talbot (1856–1919), the eldest daughter of Charles Chetwynd-Talbot, 19th Earl of Shrewsbury. The marriage united two great aristocratic families, and is considered to have been a dynastic alliance rather than a love match. They had three children, although his youngest child was believed to be the son of the Prince of Wales, Edward VII:
  • The Hon. (later Lady) Helen Mary Theresa (1876–1956); married Giles Fox-Strangways, 6th Earl of Ilchester.
  • The Hon. Charles Stewart Henry, later styled Viscount Castlereagh, later 7th Marquess of Londonderry (1878–1949)
  • The Hon. (later Lord) Charles Stewart Reginald (1879–1899)??

Old 02-14-2010, 01:45 AM
Serene Highness

Edward VII was known to be a great philanderer and had many mistresses, so there is a good possibility that he fathered some children outside his marriage.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
Edward VII was known to be a great philanderer and had many mistresses, so there is a good possibility that he fathered some children outside his marriage.
Ya think?

Old 02-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Serene Highness

Ja, I think so! What famous people are reputed to be his children? I know at one time Edward was suspected of fathering Lilly Langtry's daughter but now most historians believe (I think) that the true father was Prince Louis of Battenburg, the grandfather of Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh. Any idea of the number of illegitimate offspring of Edward VII?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Aristocracy

This is interesting. Yes, how many people have been recognized?

Old 02-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Don't know the number but the name Sonia Keppel Cubitt, descendant of Camilla Shand comes to mind. . .

Oh there is also a note in Felix Yussopov's bio. Lost Splendor that Felix went around cross-dressing as a lovely lady (he had particularly lovely feminine features) to the theater etc. Once King Edward, whom I believe was Prince at the time, caught sight of him/her and was hoping s/he would join him.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Nobility

"Felix went around cross-dressing as a lovely lady (he had particularly lovely feminine features) to the theater etc. Once King Edward, whom I believe was Prince at the time, caught sight of him/her and was hoping s/he would join him."

WOW! That's interesting....
Old 02-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Aristocracy

Hi,

Well, the dear old prince (Edward) may have been in for a big surprise - a la "The Crying Game"....
And, the other prince (Felix) may have been playing "Dangerous Liasons"...

Larry
Old 02-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

The Alexander Palace Time Machine has Lost Splendor as an on-line book if anyone is interested.
Lost Splendor - Felix Yussupov - Introduction
The incident in question is in chapter 9.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Meg View Post
While doing some research... I discovered this... is there any truth in this?

The 6th Marquess of Londonderry Vane-Tempest was born in London on 19 July 1852. On 2 October 1875, he married Lady Theresa Susey Helen Chetwynd-Talbot (1856–1919), the eldest daughter of Charles Chetwynd-Talbot, 19th Earl of Shrewsbury. They had three children, although his youngest child was believed to be the son of the Prince of Wales, Edward VII:
  • The Hon. (later Lord) Charles Stewart Reginald (1879–1899)??
although theresa (and her husband) were good friends of the prince of wales and that she was a particular favorite of the prince, there was never a hint that she and the prince were ever more than friends !!. she was an inventive hostess, who could amuse and charm edward at dinner etc.

to answer your question ....well no, for shortly after her marriage, theresa embarked upon a love affair with her brother in law reginald, lord helmsley. it is thought that he fathered her youngest child and hence as to why was he given reginald as a christian name.....a name which had never been used within the londonderry family before this time !!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Serene Highness

Russophile,

Thank you for the link to the book. I had heard that Prince Felix Yussopov was bi-sexual or gay . . .
Old 02-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Aristocracy

I read that the marriage between the Marquess and Marchioness was strictly for political/status and Lady Theresa had side affairs. I must say she had a wonderful jewel collection which I am in awe of. She had jewels that had belonged to the Romanov family. I don't find her that attractive, but those jewels did wonders for her.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Nobility

Lady Meg has made my morning with a laugh..... "I don't find her that attractive, but those jewels did wonders for her."
Old 02-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Russophile,

Thank you for the link to the book. I had heard that Prince Felix Yussopov was bi-sexual or gay . . .
He was flaming, though that should be taken up over in the Russian threads. . . .
Old 02-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Ja, I think so! What famous people are reputed to be his children? I know at one time Edward was suspected of fathering Lilly Langtry's daughter but now most historians believe (I think) that the true father was Prince Louis of Battenburg, the grandfather of Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh. Any idea of the number of illegitimate offspring of Edward VII?
here are some names to ponder over !!

jean-marie langtry
alexandra maud veneta james
maynard greville
sonia rosemary keppel
george frederick myddelton cornwallis-west
stewart arthur forster
rosemary aimee douglas erskine crum
ogla, baroness de mayer, the daughter of blanche, duchess di caracciola
and many more......

the king, never officially recognised any illegitimate offspring though !!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnydep View Post
george frrederick myddelton cornwallis-west
Wasn't he the stepfather of Sir Winston Churchill?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Nobility

yes you are correct in thinking that, the widowed lady randolph married him on the 28th july 1900, they divorced in 1913......
Old 02-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Serene Highness

Royal Scandals

Most of us are pretty familiar with the "Big one" with King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson. By today's standards, it would still be a "Big one". What other royal scandals do you find interesting?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Gentry

The whole Charles/Diana mess. Edward VII also got into a bit of trouble in his day. Then there's Henry VIII, changing his country's religion to divorce his wife marry another woman and then cutting off her head. I'd imagine after the Anne of Cleves situation people just stopped being shocked by him.
So long and goodnight...
Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

LOL Id say your right also The Duke of Saxe Coburg Gotha Nazi Link Cant have pleased many