Duke and Duchess of Windsor (1894-1972) and (1895-1986)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Edward-VIII-American-wife-Wallis-Simpson.html

I think in 2021; they would have been allowed to marry and take their place as King and Consort Queen. I believe Wallis was a strong woman, and Edward needed that contrast in his life. History paints them as selfish; but they just wanted to be happy, and Wallis second husband went on to marry someone else as well. If they had met first time around, there would have been no obstacle to a marriage (Wallis divorces got in the way).

A very interesting updated story on the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. We know a lot about before; but there is very little about what happened after they left the UK. I will definitely read the new book. The Scandalous Exile Of The Duke And Duchess Of Windsor, by Andrew Lownie, published by Blink on August 19 at £25.

The Windsor/Sussex comparisons are so trite.:whistling:

1)
Edward was King.
His stepping back from royal duties, precipitated a constitutional crisis, that shook the foundations of the UK government to the core.
Harry was sixth in line to the throne with almost certainly no chance of becoming sovereign.
Harry's actions didn't recall Parliament, and barely got more than 1 line of well-wishes from the Prime Minister.

2)
The roles they see for themselves differ.
I would say the Windsors were closer to socialites, with the cream of US society.
The Sussexes are focus is more akin to social justice warriors and are more likely to be seen with a Washington clique.

3)
Most importantly, Edward & Wallis never had children. Their focus was on each other and their mansion walls for the rest of their days.
Harry and Meghan have children, that alone means their lives aren't only for them. And for the next 18 years at least, they will both be responsible for 2 little babies.
The nucleus of their family will likely be a cornerstone of their marriage, just like it is for everyone else.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Edward-VIII-American-wife-Wallis-Simpson.html

I think in 2021; they would have been allowed to marry and take their place as King and Consort Queen. I believe Wallis was a strong woman, and Edward needed that contrast in his life. History paints them as selfish; but they just wanted to be happy, and Wallis second husband went on to marry someone else as well. If they had met first time around, there would have been no obstacle to a marriage (Wallis divorces got in the way).

A very interesting updated story on the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. We know a lot about before; but there is very little about what happened after they left the UK. I will definitely read the new book. The Scandalous Exile Of The Duke And Duchess Of Windsor, by Andrew Lownie, published by Blink on August 19 at £25.
THere seems to be nothing in that book that wasn't known before.

From the article it all seems like more of the same about their post abdication life. The comparisons aren't new either, whether they're deserved or not.

It's possible that these days he may have been able to marry Wallace but I'm personally extremely glad he wasn't at the time. There were more reasons than just her being a divorced American that meant it was unacceptable. Just as there were those who believed Edward was an unsuitable King for other reasons and refused to support him over this.

From the article it all seems like more of the same about their post abdication life. The comparisons aren't new either, whether they're deserved or not.

It's possible that these days he may have been able to marry Wallace but I'm personally extremely glad he wasn't at the time. There were more reasons than just her being a divorced American that meant it was unacceptable. Just as there were those who believed Edward was an unsuitable King for other reasons and refused to support him over this.

Its impossible to compare 1936 with 2021. At the time, Wallis had 2 divorces and didn't know much about Royal life... plus she had some connextions with dubious people like Ribbentrop. And Edward was volatile and had so far not married.. suggesting he was not likely to choose a wife who would be a nice suitable conventional Queen.

However, there is one thing that pertains to both couples no matter what year it happened in. The UK dodged a huge bullet when both of these couples left their royal roles. Things worked out for the best all the way around. :D

Was he allowed to attend his Mother's Funerals ?

If you mean the Duke of Windsor, yes, he attended Q Mary's funeral.. He was invited for certain events but he never seemed to be very happy to return ot the UK nor to get on with his family

It is not clear if an armistice with Germany in 1940 would have been more likely with Edward VIII on the throne, but it is a possibility.The consequences of a premature exit of the British Empire from the war on the other hand could have been huge. Germany could have beaten the Soviet Union and the US, even if it were still dragged into a war with Japan, might never have opened a European front. Therefore, I am ultimately thankful for Wallis having triggered the abdication.

Last edited:
Great thanks for your answers. That is a Royal Forum !
I realised She survived King Georges VI.
The 4 Royals behind the Coffin are the Duke of Edinburgh for the late King George VI , The Duke of Windsor , the Duke of Gloucester and the Young Duke of Kent for his late Father.

The Duke of Windsor wore an Uniform. That made me think King Leopold III of the Belgians wore for the last time his Uniform for the Wedding of his Daughter Princess Josephine Charlotte , future Hed Grand Duchess of Luxemburg .

Some sources say he was the one who could not have children due to a childhood illness. And some say she was physically abused by her first husband and that caused her not to be able to have children. Edward was given a choice between Wallis and the throne and chose Wallis. He could not have been denied marriage to her if he abdicated.

I doubt either really wanted children though I think Wallis did say in her book that she regretted not having any. David would not have shared Wallis even with a child and her social life and ambitions in her child-bearing years really didn't give the impression of a woman keen to be a mother.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-Windsor-actually-liked-new-book-claims.html

The Duke was happy with her, adored her; and would have bought her all the jewels in the world; had he been a Billionaire. But I don't see any real evidence that he was the love of her life!

One thing about David in several of his romantic relationships was that he became obsessed with the objects of his affection. According to a book " That Woman: A Life of Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor" by Anne Sebba, "In a new book and documentary, author Anne Sebba claims that Wallis never actually wanted to marry Edward and that she continued to love Ernest Simpson, the husband she divorced in order to marry the King."

I don't believe that Wallis was as infatuated with David as much as he was with her but when the abdication crisis happened and with David's manipulations, she ended up between a rock and a hard place. I believe she would have been happy to just remain the mistress of the King for as long as that relationship lasted.

One thing about David in several of his romantic relationships was that he became obsessed with the objects of his affection. According to a book " That Woman: A Life of Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor" by Anne Sebba, "In a new book and documentary, author Anne Sebba claims that Wallis never actually wanted to marry Edward and that she continued to love Ernest Simpson, the husband she divorced in order to marry the King."

I don't believe that Wallis was as infatuated with David as much as he was with her but when the abdication crisis happened and with David's manipulations, she ended up between a rock and a hard place. I believe she would have been happy to just remain the mistress of the King for as long as that relationship lasted.
But if she loved Ernest, why did she start an affair with David?

But if she loved Ernest, why did she start an affair with David?

He was rich, interesting, rich, the Prince of Wales/King, and rich. He could give her stuff and entrée into society, both of which she felt to be of paramount importance. Also, the adoration was flattering, and she certainly never believed it would last. She was looking for a gilt-edged diversion and a way up, not a way out of her marriage.

(Actually, he wasn't even that interesting. But his position and lifestyle certainly were.)

Last edited:
Wallis was one in a line of married women who'd had affairs with the Prince of Wales, most notably Freda Dudley Ward and Thelma Furness. I'm sure they were all fond of him, but they all accepted that their relationship would run its course and he'd then move on, either to another married mistress or to marriage with a virginal aristocrat. Or possibly both! Wallis would have assumed the same: that he'd want to marry her would have been unthinkable. And then she was stuck with this burden of knowing that he'd given up a throne, a kingdom, an empire, his family and most of his friends for her, when she probably never wanted him to.

He was rich, interesting, rich, the Prince of Wales/King, and rich. He could give her stuff and entrée into society, both of which she felt to be of paramount importance. Also, the adoration was flattering, and she certainly never believed it would last. She was looking for a gilt-edged diversion and a way up, not a way out of her marriage.

(Actually, he wasn't even that interesting. But his position and lifestyle certainly were.)

At the time, he ought to have been the most eligible bachelor in the world as he was still a (future) King-Emperor reigning over a considerable portion of the world's surface area and population. I can't think of many other men in a comparable position.

Nevertheless, I agree that Wallis probably didn't expect their relationship to end up in marriage.

Yes, and despite David being exceptionally eligible and appearing to be Prince Charming, Wallis was still more comfortable with (and fond of) Ernest, and given the choice, likely would have preferred to stay Mrs. Simpson.

The 70's series Edward and Mrs. Simpson does a great understated and matter-of-fact portrayal of the whole affair, but outside of Amazon, only the first two episodes or so are available on YouTube.

‘Appearing to be Prince Charming’ indeed. However, by the time things became serious between them I’m sure Wallis grew to realise that David was really a seething mass of neuroses and complexes, which had to be catered to. What made it worse was that he had few inner resources or intellectual curiosity and in consequence was easily bored.

I bet that there were several times in the early years of their marriage that Wallis wished she was back in her old life with Ernest. There’s only so much dog-like devotion a person can take!

Last edited:
Edward Fox was quite brilliant as David. If he didn't get a BAFTA for it, he ought to have.
It was a controversial series at the time because Wallis was still alive.

Edit: here's the part where she comes in.

Last edited:
Wallis and Edward attended the unveiling of the Queen Mary Plaque in London in 1967.

Do we know what zduke of Windsor relationship with his brothers was like post abdication? I have read that he was particulary close with Duke of Kent in 1920s. I am wondering if they kept in contact afterwards. What was Duke of Kent opinion on Wallis?

‘Appearing to be Prince Charming’ indeed. However, by the time things became serious between them I’m sure Wallis grew to realise that David was really a seething mass of neuroses and complexes, which had to be catered to. What made it worse was that he had few inner resources or intellectual curiosity and in consequence was easily bored.

I bet that there were several times in the early years of their marriage that Wallis wished she was back in her old life with Ernest. There’s only so much dog-like devotion a person can take!

I think she was OK wiht his dog like devotion... if she snapped at him, it was what he fundamentally expected... and he convinced himself that in spite of everyting she was devoted to him too and that if she snapped at him it was for his own good

Do we know what zduke of Windsor relationship with his brothers was like post abdication? I have read that he was particulary close with Duke of Kent in 1920s. I am wondering if they kept in contact afterwards. What was Duke of Kent opinion on Wallis?

We can't know what went on behind closed doors, or even over the phone, but I think lines were firmly drawn and the Royal Family were on one side and the Duke and Duchess of Windsor on the other.

To be honest - I am really looking forward to seeing if the current Duke of Kent covers his father's relation and indeed his own relationship with the Duke of Windsor in his book.

I doubt he himself really had a relationship with him. He was a baby at the time of the Abdication, so he can't have any recollections of time with his uncle before then, and I can't imagine Princess Marina having much contact with the Windsors after her husband's death, even if she did beforehand - she's known to have been rather snobby and wasn't even very impressed with the perfectly respectable Katharine Worsley, never mind with Wallis Simpson.

I doubt he'll want to rock the boat by coming out with any startling revelations about the Windsors: I would think he'll just say something about his father being very saddened by the whole thing.

I doubt he himself really had a relationship with him. He was a baby at the time of the Abdication, so he can't have any recollections of time with his uncle before then, and I can't imagine Princess Marina having much contact with the Windsors after her husband's death, even if she did beforehand - she's known to have been rather snobby and wasn't even very impressed with the perfectly respectable Katharine Worsley, never mind with Wallis Simpson.

I doubt he'll want to rock the boat by coming out with any startling revelations about the Windsors: I would think he'll just say something about his father being very saddened by the whole thing.

Agree. The Duke of KEnt is a fairly conventional royal and I can't see him saying anything about the private lives of his family, or rows within it.

Agreed. He's not Prince Harry! It'll probably be a lot about his work with the All England Club and his various charities.

Back
Top Bottom