The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree. I think they no longer divide, rather I think they entertain us. It does not say much about our characters, but they are so very easy to hurl stones at. I think we rather enjoy uniting in our dislike for them.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps if the Duke and Duchess had done something worthwhile with the latter part of their lives there might be more sympathy for them, flawed though they were. Edward was still admired by a certain section of the British population in a nostalgic sort of way. He could have done so much for wounded and maimed ex servicemen after the war, even if he'd remained in France and done his bit for French servicemen, allies of the British.

If he had immersed himself in that, if she had thrown herself into relief work for the poor of Paris, international refugees of which there were many after World War 2, care of the sick, something, anything heartfelt, then they would at least have shown they were capable of thinking of others beyond their immediate circle.

Instead, there were regular trips on transatlantic liners, long stays at friends' homes in Italy, the US, Portugal, even England. She decorated their two houses, they both entertained, they were great partygoers, etc etc., a completely hedonistic lifestyle that lasted until Edward's final illness. The Duchess was a totally self absorbed individual, she was the centre of his world in a very obsessive way, and that says it all really. No thought for anyone else but themselves ever.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:20 PM
Majesty

I have read that the Duke expected after a certain time frame that he would be invited to live again in the UK and take up a position in the family doing charity work etc...however as time passed it became clear he was not welcome (with his wife) to live there or be involved with the family.

Now I am sure he could of done stuff on his own...why he didn't ...don't know.

LaRae
Old 06-05-2017, 10:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, another part of Edward's self-delusion, that after causing this huge constitutional crisis and forcing his reluctant brother to become King in his place, he would be welcomed back with open arms by mother, brother, sister in law! It would have been impossible but he could never see that.

However, the fact is the Windsors settled in France (at a peppercorn rent for their Paris mansion) and after the war lived a totally indulgent lifestyle for the rest of their lives.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:28 PM
Heir Apparent

They were nazi sympathizers and covorted with nazis both when Edward was pow, king and afterwards as duke of Windsor. That is why they were sent to the Bahamas during the war, they were unreliable with state secrets. They were a terrible strain on Churchill and the king. Their self indulgence, his drinking, made them ok for New York cafe society in the 40's and 50's but in history, truly a sad couple. At least her vast jewel collection went to aids research
Old 06-06-2017, 04:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I agree. I think they no longer divide, rather I think they entertain us. It does not say much about our characters, but they are so very easy to hurl stones at. I think we rather enjoy uniting in our dislike for them.
I woudlnt' say that, I am Irish and we're well known for being critcal but all the same, I don't really enjoy how awful the Windsors were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
They were nazi sympathizers and covorted with nazis both when Edward was pow, king and afterwards as duke of Windsor. and 50's but in history, truly a sad couple. At least her vast jewel collection went to aids research
They weren't Nazi Sympathisers. right wing yes and willing to go to Germany because it gave them semi royal status.. and Edw didn't have enough brain to conceal that he didn't think that Hitlter was all that bad, even after the war... but he ws too dim to have any real political ideas.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:52 PM
Nobility

I just read Arthur Shawcross' biography of the Queen Mother and it talks quite a bit about the Duke of Windsor. After finishing this book, I ordered Philip Ziegler's biography of the Duke of Windsor called "King Edward VIII-A Biography". Is it a good book? I really like Shawcross' biography of the Queen Mother. Where is the forum to discuss her?
Old 06-06-2017, 06:46 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Actually I'm still in the process of reading Ziegler's biography of Edward VIII and it does give a good insight into the man he was. I recommend it.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:02 AM
Gentry

After the Duke's death in 1972, the Queen should have invited the Duchess to live in Britain closer to the Royal Family but I'm sure that would have infuriated "mummy".
Old 06-08-2017, 11:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Why? The Duchess of Windsor had no close relationship with the BRF and had spent most of her life not living in Britain.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I think the Duchess was quite comfortable in the Paris home she'd lived in for decades with longtime staff around her. It wasn't too long afterwards that she developed dementia, anyway.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, I don't think the queen was obliged to do anyting for her. Why should she? Not that Wallis would have liked it anyway I'm sure.
As I recall she was a bit "out of it" at the Duke's funeral even, there were signs of her getting forgetful and a bit confused before he died and after he wnet, she got worse. So she was problaby much more comfortable in her familiar environment...
Old 06-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
After the Duke's death in 1972, the Queen should have invited the Duchess to live in Britain closer to the Royal Family but I'm sure that would have infuriated "mummy".
Wallis was never part of the BRF so why would she even consider living near a family that had ostracized both her husband and herself?

From what I vaguely remember, the Queen and Charles both went out of their way to assist Wallis though after the death of her husband. I just can't recall offhand just how they did it though.

The abdication happened in 1936 and for the most part, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor led totally separate lives away from the UK and the BRF with little to no contact with family in the UK.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:29 PM
Majesty

Yes I recently read a biography on the Queen Mother and even it stated that Charles and the Queen had a relationship with both the Duke/Duchess years later. After the Duke passed it seems that Wallace more or less became fairly reclusive.

LaRae
Old 06-09-2017, 02:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

there was a polite friendship, after her widowhood and even before it, the queen had visited David.. and P Charles did show some special friendship to the Windsors esp to Wallis when she was on her own.
They did nto "ostracise her", but they weren't "her kind fo people".
They had little in common and the Abdication had been a terrible trauma to the family, and had resulted in the King Having to take on a lot of responsibility, suddenly, and the QM felt that it had led to his early death. And David and Wallis led such a trivial foolish pleasure seeking existence, that its hard to see what the British based members of the family could have in common with them.
Wallis and David were pretty rude about them, too, making snide remarks about Eliz the QM and the Duchess of Gloucester and even about Q Mary. So I think that in keeping up a mild friendship, the RF were being about as nice as they had an obligation to be.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:10 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

A twopenny scarlet stamp printed in 1936 by the Commonwealth Stamp Printers in Melbourne, Australia of the-then King Edward VIII is up for auction on June 26 - it is one of only six in existence, and has a starting price of $AUD100,000. A stamp from the same sheet sold in 2015 for just over $AUD170,000.

The stamp is so rare that there is not one in the Australia Post archives, nor in the Royal Collection.

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...P=share_btn_tw
Old 06-11-2017, 11:22 AM
Heir Apparent

This is amazing stuff. isnt it, but everything to do with that brief reign, stamps, a few coins that escaped into circulation, even souvenirs made for a Coronation that never happened, are worth literally a king's ransom, nowadays. I really hope that this stamp doesn't go to a private collector, but into the Royal Collection or Australia Post. I suppose it depends to what heights the price above the reserve will go.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Perhaps if the Duke and Duchess had done something worthwhile with the latter part of their lives there might be more sympathy for them, flawed though they were. Edward was still admired by a certain section of the British population in a nostalgic sort of way. He could have done so much for wounded and maimed ex servicemen after the war, even if he'd remained in France and done his bit for French servicemen, allies of the British.

If he had immersed himself in that, if she had thrown herself into relief work for the poor of Paris, international refugees of which there were many after World War 2, care of the sick, something, anything heartfelt, then they would at least have shown they were capable of thinking of others beyond their immediate circle.

Instead, there were regular trips on transatlantic liners, long stays at friends' homes in Italy, the US, Portugal, even England. She decorated their two houses, they both entertained, they were great partygoers, etc etc., a completely hedonistic lifestyle that lasted until Edward's final illness. The Duchess was a totally self absorbed individual, she was the centre of his world in a very obsessive way, and that says it all really. No thought for anyone else but themselves ever.
Nevertheless though, I don't see where all the hatred towards them comes from. Yes, they had their flaws and made their mistakes. But I see no reason to hate them, so I won't.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
This is amazing stuff. isnt it, but everything to do with that brief reign, stamps, a few coins that escaped into circulation, even souvenirs made for a Coronation that never happened, are worth literally a king's ransom, nowadays. I really hope that this stamp doesn't go to a private collector, but into the Royal Collection or Australia Post. I suppose it depends to what heights the price above the reserve will go.
I agree. It would be nice if the Royal Collection or Australia Post would buy it and keep it safe.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:17 PM
Gentry

I never understood Edward's insistence to marry Wallis.

A man of his status in the 1930s could perfectly have kept her as a mistress while being King.

Tags
abdication, britain, duchess of windsor, duke of windsor, edward viii, king edward viii, wallis simpson