Who Will Rule Them All?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Peaches said:
This is an interesting topic. But I have to add that during the reign of Philip II of Spain, his empire was so vast that one particular saying, "The sun never sets on the British empire" was originally linked to him (change British for the Holy Roman Empire).

I thought that Luxembourg was an interesting choice, due to all the links they have. However, can't that be the argument of every, single royal house since they are all connected?

In the 60-ties (when de Gaulle proposed it) the european community consisted of Italy, France, Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg and the Netherlands. The Luxembourg dynasty was the only one who had connections to ALL these countries.

As Luxembourg is one of the countries who founded the union, is at the very heart of it, and because the country is so small (and a monarch from this country would not create envie from other nations) it would still be the most logical choise (the Belgian RF would be the 2nd most logical choise as Brussels is the base of the EU).

The empire over which Phillip II ruled was the Spanish empire btw, he never ruled over the Holy Roman Empire of German Nations. is father Charles V did, and he handed this over to his brother (Ferdinand?) and not to his son Phillip II.

No royal family would rule over a united Europe, hopefully. There are so many republics out there who wouldn't want to go back to being a monarchy. Besides, monarchies are based on tradition (granted, they had to start somewhere), so you just can't go and say, okay, you guys, you get to rule us all, sorry for the rest, just go home and don't make a fuss! And who'd decide? Nah...never!

I'm not even European, but this is one very scary concept! :eek:

Napoleon tried to accomplish such a "goal" (anyone can see how catastrophic such a dictatorial power would have been had he succeeded) and look where he ended up!...

No, I sincerely hope (and very much doubt...infact I completely doubt) there shall ever be a united Europe under a single Sovereign power.

"MII"

Last edited:
Margrethe II said:
No, I sincerely hope (and very much doubt...infact I completely doubt) there shall ever be a united Europe under a single Sovereign power.

"MII"

I have to agree with you on that, in fact it is more likely that the monarchies in Europe will become republics at one time in the future (hopefully, it is a long way into the 22nd century :D )

KikkiB said:
I have to agree with you on that, in fact it is more likely that the monarchies in Europe will become republics at one time in the future (hopefully, it is a long way into the 22nd century :D )

Agreed :)

"MII"

Princess Alexandra of Hannover! :D :p :D Because she is connected to both Monaco and Hannover (thus to most of Europe's royal houses)... LOL, not good enough a reason to rule over an entire continent but good enough for fun. ;)

moby said:
Princess Alexandra of Hannover! :D :p :D Because she is connected to both Monaco and Hannover (thus to most of Europe's royal houses)... LOL, not good enough a reason to rule over an entire continent but good enough for fun. ;)

yeah, and maybe she could marry Nikolai of Denmark that way their heir would have a scandinavian connection as well.

to be honest, I think if Europe were to become united under one monarchy, the leading contender would be the Oranjes. Queen Beatrix has been a leading champion of European integration. she won the Charles V prize for her work in this area.

I think a lot of other royal families would put themselves out of the running for being too attached to their individual country. (the windsors come to mind) but Beatrix has a strong pan-european orientation. plus, she's widely respected for her brain and leadership. not to mention that she has a fabulous son and daughter in law and they have adorable daugthers...

I say bring back who USED to rule most of Europe - the Habsburgs!

I think, and this being a weird idea.
That Prince Charles should have had a daughter, and Britain should have equal primogenture. She would be allowed the marry CP Frederik of Denmark and those 2 could rule them all hehe.

But as Prince Charles did not have a daughter.
CP Frederik and CP Mary I think, they are the most prepared, outstanding, selfless, duty bound, royals i know.
They are a perfect pairing. But I don't know how they'd divide their time between so many countries hehe.
x

If this is even possible I think I'm going for the Borbons. I would love to bring back the Spanish Empire although I also think the Imperial Family of the Romanovs can rule Europe.

It would be over my dead body if anybody but the Danish Royal Family should be the rulers of Denmark. If they were to be put aside for the benefit of a United States of Europe I would join the resistance movement and fight the idea with guns and arms. If the resistance battle was lost and if I was not killed in the battle - I would become a vehemently republican in regard to the United States of Europe and at the same time an uncompromising separatist in regard to Denmark.

My goal would be the reestablishment of Denmark as a sovereign nation and the restoration of the Danish monarchy with the present royal family reinstated on the throne.

Ps: I am a strong supporter of the EU (including the admission of Turkey as a memberstate) and I want the EU to become even more connected then what is reality today. BUT not on the expense of the Danish monarcy and Danish sovereignty. Never!

It would be over my dead body if anybody but the Danish Royal Family should be the rulers of Denmark. .

My goal would be the reestablishment of Denmark as a sovereign nation and the restoration of the Danish monarchy with the present royal family reinstated on the throne.

Ps: I am a strong supporter of the EU (including the admission of Turkey as a memberstate) and I want the EU to become even more connected then what is reality today. BUT not on the expense of the Danish monarcy and Danish sovereignty. Never!

O.K Lilla, before you get your guns and ammo ready, :lol::flowers: This is a what if that would never become a reality. One beautiful thing in Europe is the individual character of each nation and its traditions and distinct differences. It was awful enough (for me at least) when the local currencies were changed for the euro. There would never be one royal family that rules the entire Europe.
On the P.S issue it will be impossible to have the smaller European States have any input in a decision. According to the constitution of EU the countries with the largest population have more votes and more weight in deciding Europe's future. If Turkey is admitted to the EU with 65 plus million people small countries will be pushed into the background and have less say in their future and that of the Union.:nonono:

On the P.S issue it will be impossible to have the smaller European States have any input in a decision. According to the constitution of EU the countries with the largest population have more votes and more weight in deciding Europe's future. If Turkey is admitted to the EU with 65 plus million people small countries will be pushed into the background and have less say in their future and that of the Union.:nonono:

I see your point, but as long as the EU is based upon domocracy I can't regard the admission of Turkey as a memberstate to be a threat - not even to a smaller European countrie like Denmark. It is a gain ;)

By the way - in Denmark we still have our own currencie - DKK. A change to the euro can only be done by a referendum.

Anyway - this is politics and as such not allowed to be discussed on the forum.

I see your point, but as long as the EU is based upon domocracy I can't regard the admission of Turkey as a memberstate to be a threat - not even to a smaller European countrie like Denmark. It is a gain ;)

By the way - in Denmark we still have our own currencie - DKK. A change to the euro can only be done by a referendum.

Anyway - this is politics and as such not allowed to be discussed on the forum.

I suppose the original question was which Royal family will rule Europe and the answer IMHO would be none. I doubt most royal houses will exist in their present form in another 1 or 2 generations.
Why do you think the Danish wish to maintain their currency and still be a member state of the EU?

I suppose the original question was which Royal family will rule Europe and the answer IMHO would be none. I doubt most royal houses will exist in their present form in another 1 or 2 generations.
Why do you think the Danish wish to maintain their currency and still be a member state of the EU?

Maintaining our currency is IMO an emotional thing. Danes are very nationalistic and the DKK with the portrait of our Queen/King is a national symbol. In the future a new referendum will be held - I am sure - but whether we will give up the DKK or not is impossible to predict. Every sound government of Denmark will advise people to vote for the Euro as it is a sensible thing to do from an economic point of view. But quite frankly I don't think the Danes will let go of the DKK........

Anyway maintaining the DKK does not prevent Denmark from the benefits of the EU regarding inter-state trade. The latter is IMO the reason for the membership and why 65 plus million Turks are very much welcomed into the EU if I had things my way
;).

By the way, the Swedes also have maintained their currency the SEK.

The more united Europe becomes the less I see monarchies surviving in any real way. They would always have a "national" element to them and the pan-Europeans would probably not favor that, not to mention most of Europe is republican and opposed to monarchy and would probably vote away the ones that are left. Also, as the population of Europe becomes increasingly less European (in the ethnic sense) there will likely be a push to start over in a cultural way, sort of 'out with the old' and something totally new will develop.

But, all of that being said, if this were some alternate reality the most likely pan-European royal family I could think of would be the Hapsburgs. They come to mind for a number of reasons:
  1. Archduke Otto von Hapsburg was an early leader in the push for European unity.
  2. The Hapsburgs have experience reigning over very diverse subject nations.
  3. The Hapsburgs probably ruled over more of Europe than any other royal family -not counting the Bonapartes who conquered everyone.
  4. They are an old and generally respected family which has already been involved in European government.
  5. They are the heirs of the old Holy Roman Empire and with the adoption of the Treaty of Rome the pan-European movement has often been associated with the Roman Empire.
  6. They have a history that stretches across western, central and eastern Europe.
  7. At one point in history Ireland, England, Portugal, Spain, parts of Italy, the Low Countries, Germany and Austria all had a Hapsburg monarch.
So if I had to choose that would seem the most reasonable to me. I will add though that my ideal is for lots of little countries instead of great, big massive ones. I prefer all government to be as local as possible. The farther away the government gets from the governed the more wasteful, corrupt and downright weird it becomes. That's my 2 cents anyway.:D

I will add though that my ideal is for lots of little countries instead of great, big massive ones. I prefer all government to be as local as possible. The farther away the government gets from the governed the more wasteful, corrupt and downright weird it becomes. That's my 2 cents anyway.:D

I absolutly agree with you Bones. And I also see your point about the Habsburgs - a very logical choice. They can rule the parts of Europe that used to be The Holy Roman Empire while spending the Euros these countries already are using as currency.

The northeren countries will do just fine on our own and with our own royal families (UK, Norway, Sweden and Denmark) - and our own currencies (UK, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland) ;).

By the way the Bonapartes did not conquer all of Europe. The UK and the Scandinavian/Nordic countries were never under French supremacy.

If some sort of "United Europe" were formed then I sincerely doubt any monarchy would be involved.

If one were to be chosen then the only logical choice would be the British RF, or at a stretch, the Spanish RF. The others are too insignificant and minor to have any major impact.

What significance, grandeur and major impact do you ascribe to The British and Spanish Royal families that surpasses the other royal families in Europe?

Popularity, I guess. Though I find that the Scandinavian RF exhibit more pomp and ceremony than most other European RF, myself.

The northeren countries will do just fine on our own and with our own royal families (UK, Norway, Sweden and Denmark) - and our own currencies (UK, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland) ;).
Finland uses the Euro, too ;):flowers:

My mistake :ermm: Thanks for the correction, Lilytornado :)

My vote goes to Sauron and the one Ring of Power to Rule them all. . .

:whistling:

I too agree with Bones - if any royal house should reign over whole Europe, it should be the House of Habsburg-Lorraine.

QEII is head of the Commonwealth, an organisation of 53 nations and is the Monarch of 16 of those nations. She has the experience and standing to deal with a theoretical United Europe as a result.

Moreover like the Spanish, the British RF is well-respected in political circles as well, and like her Spanish counterpart QEII is a fairly well-repected stateswoman in her own right. The only other European monarch besides these two who could come close would probably be Queen Beatrix.

Thats is your oppinion Little Star which you of course are entitled to have :flowers:. I would prefere Sauron though, as Russophile surgested, to any of the above mentioned monarchs :D.

Anyway - thanks for your answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom