The Most Or Least Prepared Heir

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see Princess Victoria and Princess Caroline are the possible Queens.
Prince William is the most prepared to be a King of England.

. . . . . . Prince William is the most prepared to be a King of England.
Huh? He has no experience whatsoever to be a King of England, the Commonwealth or even a sandcastle. Maybe in twenty years he will have gained sufficient life skills and performed enough royal engagements to have acquired a degree of political and diplomatic nous which he totally lacks at present. :ermm:

I think Will is not good prepared but he's not disaster too. In my opinion he's very... common. I don't imagine british monarchy without Elisabeth II. She's for symbol of England like pyramids in Egypt.

What's wrong with Frederik? I miss something? Why many people think he's at the least prepared to be King?

Most:
CP Frederick (I don't see why almost everybody seems to believe that he is not prepared)
CP Philippe
CP Felipe
Least:
CP Victoria

Most:
CP Frederick (I don't see why almost everybody seems to believe that he is not prepared)

I agree. I'm not a dane but I still think he is one of the most amazing princes. With Mary by his side he's capable of anything :flowers:
Prince Charles and Haakon aswell. :)

Least prepared: Victoria and Phillipe. :)

Wow, the variation of opinion is wide here!

I think that Felipe's having lived abroad is, in fact, a significant point in his favor in terms of preparedness. It is (no pun intended) very broadening to have lived in another country for an extended period, and to have sampled a different life. I was in Miami last week and ate at my favorite Greek diner. On the wall is a picture of Crown Prince Felipe and Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece in that diner, enjoying a hearty meal and laughing with the owners.

Travel is certainly broadening as well, but there is a world of difference between living somewhere else versus official travel. Traveling city-to-city, meeting and greeting officials in a very controlled capacity, and being so pampered and coddled that someone puts your toothpaste on your brush for you is hardly comparable to figuring out where to get the best pizza at 2:00 am, how not to get your car towed, and how to retain an air of dignity while still connecting with the "common folk."

To me, that's being prepared to rule a country that is not composed of people who travel with their own toilet seat. Thus, I view Felipe's experience living abroad as being an essential part of the education of a future monarch.

Sovereign

I would like to see Princess Victoria and Princess Caroline are the possible Queens.
Prince William is the most prepared to be a King of England.

While CP Victoria has known all her life she is to assume the throne after her father; she seems to defer to her brother in the military/naval aspect of things: never in ceremonial uniform, on the balcony with with her mother and sister while her brother stands next to the King at the Birthday Parade, etc. I think she ought to be visibly comfortable in that aspect of her future role.

Most prepared:Felipe of Spain.
Least prepared:William.

Most prepared:Felipe of Spain.
Least prepared:William.

Yes, yet there is some sense to this. The Prince of the Asturias is immediately in line to a throne occupied by an aging father; whilst William of Wales is a full step away from the throne after his father.

I understand that MOST Danes are in love with the couple just the way they are,but Crown Prince Frederik would have been more prepared if he had married one his ex girlfriends---they speak Danish,so they can communicate with the people instantly :flowers:....
(Still don't get why there has to be the can't marry a danish woman/man Rules:confused:)

I believe Mary speaks Danish fluently.
I also think Victoria is the best prepared to assume her next role within the Kingdom.

The most prepared is PCharles, I do think that he should step aside and let William rule and mentor William as QElizabeth's heir. I feel and I know I may get some flack from this but he and Diana put the monarchy in a unfavorable light. Once PCharles is king all the stories about Di will resurface plus Camillia as the Queen Consort has a ex husband who is still alive with their own patchwork family.

From a image standpoint PCharles/Camillia should step aside. They are married now, lovers from a forbidden love so they should go and be to themselves and let William, a new young vibrant British Majesty and his family take over.

The most prepared is PCharles, I do think that he should step aside and let William rule and mentor William as QElizabeth's heir. I feel and I know I may get some flack from this but he and Diana put the monarchy in a unfavorable light. Once PCharles is king all the stories about Di will resurface plus Camillia as the Queen Consort has a ex husband who is still alive with their own patchwork family.

From a image standpoint PCharles/Camillia should step aside. They are married now, lovers from a forbidden love so they should go and be to themselves and let William, a new young vibrant British Majesty and his family take over.

So you are saying he shouldnt because he had a love story going on before he married his dream lady?
Well, I would agree if Camilla was a publicly known mistress but they are married, I dont personally see a problem at all nor should the past stop him. He has been in position all his life, it would be a waste to not give it a try I would say :flowers:

I believe Mary speaks Danish fluently.
I also think Victoria is the best prepared to assume her next role within the Kingdom.

I wouldnt go on who knows the language, yes language is important but I still would give Mary a few more years as a crown princess before saying she is prepared, She is one of the most prepared form the CP's IMO.

Victoria was born a Crown Princess, she would find being a Queen easy IMO. Victoria always know what she would expect when she was older unlike all the other crown princesses who are knew to everything and learning, everyday is a new lesson for them IMO.

Huh? He has no experience whatsoever to be a King of England, the Commonwealth or even a sandcastle. Maybe in twenty years he will have gained sufficient life skills and performed enough royal engagements to have acquired a degree of political and diplomatic nous which he totally lacks at present.

Quite right. And how can William possibly become prepared when he is mostly on vacation?

I wouldnt go on who knows the language, yes language is important but I still would give Mary a few more years as a crown princess before saying she is prepared, She is one of the most prepared form the CP's IMO.

My response originally was on the previous poster about Mary's ease with the Danish language. It has nothing to do with her abilities to second Frederick and become a good consort.

Victoria was born a Crown Princess, she would find being a Queen easy IMO. Victoria always know what she would expect when she was older unlike all the other crown princesses who are knew to everything and learning, everyday is a new lesson for them IMO.

You are correct. I asumed the thread was on future monarchs and among them all I believe that Victoria is the best prepared.

It may be not surprising and boring as well, but I strongly disagree. Imagine HM would die tomorrow - let Charles step aside and let rule this unprepared William, still in his military education with his unclear realtionship with Kate Middleton? It would be a desaster for the monarchy IMO. And how could you manage to have a man like Charles who was the heir and Prince of Wales for more than 30 years? Just the man in the background? Mentor? Never.

I don't think, all the stories of Charles, Diana and Camilla will resurface when Charles becomes king, far from it. I think that Charles and Camilla married wasn't that big thing anymore (and thats surprising, isn't it?) and its a good sign for Charles' future. Sure, the stories will never be forgotten but they belong to the past. As Charles turned 60 last year, I think we can be sure that he won't rule for many decades, so William hopefully will have a lot of time to prepare for being king.

So, I think Charles is one of the best prepared to King.

Quite right. And how can William possibly become prepared when he is mostly on vacation?

It may be not surprising and boring as well, but I strongly disagree. Imagine HM would die tomorrow - let Charles step aside and let rule this unprepared William, still in his military education with his unclear realtionship with Kate Middleton? It would be a desaster for the monarchy IMO. And how could you manage to have a man like Charles who was the heir and Prince of Wales for more than 30 years? Just the man in the background? Mentor? Never.

I don't think, all the stories of Charles, Diana and Camilla will resurface when Charles becomes king, far from it. I think that Charles and Camilla married wasn't that big thing anymore (and thats surprising, isn't it?) and its a good sign for Charles' future. Sure, the stories will never be forgotten but they belong to the past. As Charles turned 60 last year, I think we can be sure that he won't rule for many decades, so William hopefully will have a lot of time to prepare for being king.

So, I think Charles is one of the best prepared to King.

British Monarchs do not rule the country - they reign over it. Politicians do the lawmaking and governing. The ruling family of Windsor are above the politics of the country. They dont get involved. The Monarch is a figurehead of the empire, an undying symbol of the past and future which gives the empire an identity. So its mostly an ceremonial position. I think William can learn the protocols of such an position in a manner weeks.

My post stems from a manner of image control for the Windsors. The present day Windsors need a shot in the arm- like some magic-glamour-mystic potion- I remember reading a book by Bageshot (sp) about the mystic of the royal family when they lose that its all done.

When Charles and Camillia came to Philly no one in my circle didnt even flinch and they are all royal fans on the other hand when Charles and Diana the city had to revert traffic because of the crowds- security, etc.

Victoria/Elizabeth the second who came to the throne as young queens and had their children gave a sense of a new beginning for the realm. Especially true for QElizabeth, her family had the abdication/war that clouded her family at the time.

I will end my rant

I think that Charles, Willem-Alexander, and Haakon are the most prepared to be monarch. They all show a keen understanding of what monarchy is, but most importantly, what the monarchy means to their countries. They all have found strength and stability in life, some later than others. I think Charles and WA are also well prepared for their behind the scenes political involvement. Charles has always been opinionated, but I do believe he will help the monarchy advance and evolve in a positive, if not controversial, way for the future. WA and his family also have the joie de vivre that has been the backbone of the Dutch RF. Norway is quite a modest and down to earth monarchy and I think Haakon and his family fit the bill perfectly for it.

Least prepared, Felipe and Phillipe. Felipe does not have the charisma or energy to give the monarchy the magic that it needs. Juan Carlos has embedded himself in the Spanish populace but the monarchy hasn't latched on so well. Felipe and Letizia seem like businessmen rather than royalty. With Phillipe, part of me thinks we will be surprised and that he will turn out to be a fantastic king. The other half says last King of the Belgians. I don't think its just him, I think its the whole Belgian royal family. I just don't feel like they have dedicated themselves to the country and its unity. Outsiders point of view though.

The others will all be good monarchs but I don't think they will leave a big mark. Fred will be disorganized, but lovingly so, and overshadowed by Mary. I think Victoria will be more like her father rather than mother. Guillaume is an unknown at the moment for me, but hopefully he shapes out to be a more affable and stronger character than his parents. Monaco and L-stein will continue to be Monaco and L-stein.

British Monarchs do not rule the country - they reign over it. Politicians do the lawmaking and governing. The ruling family of Windsor are above the politics of the country. They dont get involved.
Tell that to the Architects, MP's, PM etc. who've all got their knickers in a knot over "Charles interferance" in his advocacy of sustainable living, housing, planning, agriculture, climate control and last but not least, he and his parents publically ticking the Government off regarding the iniquitous state of body armour, armament, transport and air support (helicopters) supplied (or not) to British Troops in Afghanistan.

The Monarch is a figurehead of the empire, an undying symbol of the past and future which gives the empire an identity. So its mostly an ceremonial position.
Tell that to Queen Elizabeth who gets her not so little Red Box to peruse daily and meets with the Prime Minister Weekly. What do you think they are talking about? Knitting!!!

I think William can learn the protocols of such an position in a manner weeks.
Let's just let him learn to fly his helicopter as his father did before him. Way, way, way before him.

My post stems from a manner of image control for the Windsors. The present day Windsors need a shot in the arm- like some magic-glamour-mystic potion- I remember reading a book by Bageshot (sp) about the mystic of the royal family when they lose that its all done.
Oi! Hands off my Royal Family. They are a living breathing institution not a variety act!

When Charles and Camillia came to Philly no one in my circle didnt even flinch and they are all royal fans on the other hand when Charles and Diana the city had to revert traffic because of the crowds- security, etc.
And this is important because?

The British Royal Family is an integral part of the Commonwealth. Her Majesty, Prince Philip, Prince Charles, Princess Ann and the Duchess of Cornwall carry out endless political engagements. Witness the state visit of President Sarkozy and his wife. The senior royals are all adept at the diplomatic nuances of who's who on the international stage. They know when the government wants them to keep a reserved distance or really push the boat out when receiving foreign Heads of State, Ambassador's and High Commisioners.

Charles cut his eye teeth on duty and obligation, and is well versed in politics both national and interational. To quote Wiki: "Since founding The Prince's Trust, he established fifteen more charitable organisations, and now serves as president of all of those, plus two others; together, these form a loose alliance called The Prince's Charities, which claim to raise over £110 million annually.[36] Charles is also patron of over 350 other charities and organisations,[37] and carries out duties related to these throughout the Commonwealth realms; for example, he uses his tours of Canada as a way to help draw attention to youth, the disabled, the environment, the arts, medicine, the elderly, heritage conservation, and education.'

He is a tireless worker for his future subjects and you would toss that out in favour of a young man who has not achieved the basics of his own life. He has yet to qualify in his chosen career and is, as yet, neither engaged nor married.

The heir to the Throne is not negotiable. The BRF have neither the inclination nor the right to skip a generation to Crown William to "spritz up the PR image". The only way William becomes King next is if his father predeceases him.

JMO but I think a lot of people on this board overestimate the importance of the Queen in the British political process.

So she has a half hour meeting once a week wth the PM. Does anybody honestly believe that it is an in-depth discussion on every single policy that the Government is proposing in any given week?

Having had personal experience of Westminster the idea that the Queen factors in political discussion to any serious degree is quite naive imo.

The most prepared is PCharles, I do think that he should step aside and let William rule and mentor William as QElizabeth's heir.

Errm. :closedeye

Victoria/Elizabeth the second who came to the throne as young queens and had their children gave a sense of a new beginning for the realm. Especially true for QElizabeth, her family had the abdication/war that clouded her family at the time.

Well yes, but you can't always have it all. You can't shoot Charles and let William rule (joke) because he's the lovely young one who maybe will bring glam and happiness to the people by an possibly marriage and cute little children. :flowers:

I think you have the missed the point completely, Charles has always put Country and Queen first. He has set up wonderfull charities to help benefit the nation, has always seemed to do a great job of representing the Kingdom abroad, and lets not forget, he married the person Queen and Country would have approved rather than the person he would have really wanted to marry. Plus, plenty of histroys greatest leaders have had mistress's and affairs. The boudoir has very little to do with leadership really. Especially in the role of a ceremonial monarchy that he has dedicated his entire life too. Diana, as much as we adored her, did not understand the role of being a royal. She was a celebrity, she did not always put Queen and Country first when she went against the royal family in such a public way. The past is the past. We now have a stable future king in a loving marriage with kids who seem to have a good head on their shoulders. What more could you ask for?

That is so true - had Charles put himself first he would never have married Diana but married Camilla (or remained unmarried) but he was pressured into marrying Diana to provide the country with heirs and he put his duty first.

He has always put his country first, except for once - he insisted on marrying the woman he loves - and the country is beginning to see just how good that makes him.

He will be a wonderful king and I hope for a reign of 20 or so years so that his son has a chance to have a stable marriage and have his children grow up without their father having the pressure of William being King at the same time.

How different would history have been had Elizabeth II been able to be a mother to Charles first rather than a Queen?

The Prince of Wales hes trained for it since 3 basically

I say the same for the Grimaldis of Monaco- Albert should let Caroline take over as Caroline the first- she has the heirs- the title of Royal Highness-Albert in my opinion has forsaken his duties to marry and have heirs- thus leaving Caroline and her children in somewhat of a royal limbo.

I like the Grimaldis - dont get me wrong but the main job for the crown of monaco is to have legal children thru marriage- for some reason he hasn't completed this task- his father had to change the law to allow his siblings to inherit.

Albert is 50 or 51 years of age has a young girlfriend that escorts him to official functions:eek:. Last year she was almost the most the photographed person at the Red Cross ball-Princess Grace would have been mortified since she put the Red Cross Ball on the map after the being his girl friend for more than 4 years and no engagement

Last edited by a moderator:
I see it often suggested that William should be crowned in place of Charles. But did it ever occur to people that maybe William doesn't want to reign in place of his father? He's still very young. Why would he want that responsibility thrust on him all of a sudden. And why would he want to take his father's reign away from him. I think that's the last thing William would ever want to do and he would never agree to it! He respects his father too much.

Posts raising and rehashing the Charles-Diana-Camilla relationship have been removed.

Warren
Administrator

Last edited:
I see it often suggested that William should be crowned in place of Charles. But did it ever occur to people that maybe William doesn't want to reign in place of his father? He's still very young. Why would he want that responsibility thrust on him all of a sudden. And why would he want to take his father's reign away from him. I think that's the last thing William would ever want to do and he would never agree to it! He respects his father too much.

I get really mad with people who think that William would want to stop the father he so obviously loves and adores from his birthright. It is just so wrong to suggest that a loving son would want to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom