The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe that many years later Michael and Anee did have a Catholic wedding in Monaco.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Serene Highness

From what I've read on this particular forum page it seems like there was a lot of medding of various church officials (too much meddling IMO) when two people who were members of different branches of Christianity wanted to marry. I know it had to do with the time period and various other things (traditions, laws,etc) and I imagine some were prevented from getting marrired because of these things.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
Is it possible that the Pope agreed that her sons would be raised Lutherans and her daughters Catholic?
I doubt there was an agreement that queen Joséphines daughers should be raised Catholic. Her only daughter was princess Eugénie and in 1880 Eugénie took initiative to a Lutheran missionary organization among the Samic people in the north of Sweden, although she was not a believer of any Christian belief in particular, but listened to several different Christian branches. (Eugénie is one of the most interesting Swedish princesses in my opinion.)
Old 06-26-2012, 01:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
From what I've read on this particular forum page it seems like there was a lot of medding of various church officials (too much meddling IMO) when two people who were members of different branches of Christianity wanted to marry. I know it had to do with the time period and various other things (traditions, laws,etc) and I imagine some were prevented from getting marrired because of these things.
That's true but I think it would still happen today. I find it hard to imagine for instance that one of the luxembourg or their habsburg or belgian cousins would marry a protestant without their being a lot of behind the scenes wrangling.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
That's true but I think it would still happen today. I find it hard to imagine for instance that one of the luxembourg or their habsburg or belgian cousins would marry a protestant without their being a lot of behind the scenes wrangling.
There have been protestant Habsburg brides in the past. There was one protestant Archduchess who after her death was allowed to be buried in the Habsburg crypt because the emperor decided that "she should lie with us as she lived with us".
Old 06-26-2012, 06:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
There have been protestant Habsburg brides in the past. There was one protestant Archduchess who after her death was allowed to be buried in the Habsburg crypt because the emperor decided that "she should lie with us as she lived with us".

No i meant the first cousins, children of the Princess Marie Astrid Luxembourg.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
I don't think the Catholic church would mind to much to a Protestant bride or groom as long as the children of the marriage was going to be raised as Catholics, the serious issue would be if the children had to be raised as Protestants.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Serene Highness

Most monarchs headed in that direction in their day but these days the heirs are not marrying other royals but commoners/ nobels and for love and by monarchs it's England, Spain, Romania, Greece whose king and Queen come from royal families.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Serene Highness

I rather like the Lux and Leich royals because they don't seem to be maritally indiscrete much--just have had troubles (in the Luxembourgs) with marrying commoners and being scolded by the Top of Bourbon-Parma. Grand Duke Jean gave up his Bourbon Parma title because he was miffed that this Bourbon-Parma person said the marriages of his son Henri and his son Jean were non-dynastic; but later Henri took back the Bourbon Parma title. I forget the name of the ruler of Bourbon Parma, but his kids by Princess Irene of the Netherlands are marrying now (two lately). All is forgiven at the court in Holland, I guess--none of the Dutch royals went to the wedding of Bourbon Parma (let's call him BP) and Princess Irene, because she became a Catholic and this was thought to potentially cause a judicial storm in Holland.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:53 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel1 View Post
I forget the name of the ruler of Bourbon Parma, but his kids by Princess Irene of the Netherlands are marrying now (two lately). All is forgiven at the court in Holland, I guess--none of the Dutch royals went to the wedding of Bourbon Parma (let's call him BP) and Princess Irene, because she became a Catholic and this was thought to potentially cause a judicial storm in Holland.
It wasn't only the fact that princess Irene of the Netherlands became a Catholic and married Carlos Hugo, duke of Parma that caused the uproar in the Netherlands, it was as much the fact that the Spanish general Franco was in favour of the marriage. General Franco had supported Nazi Germany and the Dutch had not forgotten the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands during the Second World War.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Aristocracy

will they be showing the Luxembourg royal wedding on american tv
Old 07-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Courtier

I doubt it...my guess is that most Americans have never even heard of the country.

LaRae
Old 05-27-2014, 01:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
It wasn't only the fact that princess Irene of the Netherlands became a Catholic and married Carlos Hugo, duke of Parma that caused the uproar in the Netherlands, it was as much the fact that the Spanish general Franco was in favour of the marriage. General Franco had supported Nazi Germany and the Dutch had not forgotten the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands during the Second World War.

Princess Irene married 50 years when the Dutch Reformed Church was still the largest Christian denomination in the Netherlands and a princess of the Netherlands marrying a Catholic was considered taboo. Nowadays, over 50 % of the Dutch population is non-religious or atheist and the religious affiliation of consorts of members of the royal family is probably no longer a major issue as it used to be.

Queen Maxima for example is Catholic and refused to convert to Protestantism after she got married. Her three daughters were baptized in the Protestant church though and are being raised (at least nominally) as Protestants, which apparently was a condition imposed by Queen Beatrix to give her consent to the marriage.