Origin Of Royal Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is the name Dagmar out now in the 21st century or does it pop up occasionally? Also any info on Andrews name? His family usually have boring repetitive names, but his is a fuscia crayon in a box of yellow ones.

Is the name Dagmar out now in the 21st century or does it pop up occasionally?

Old-ish names has been trending in Denmark for the last couple of years, I know a lot of little Dagmars, Ingrids, and Holgers (I even know an Olga!). I don't know about the rest of the world though ;)

I always had a strange impression: Catholic royal houses generally use names of saints and Protestant royal houses use ethnic, classic and uncommon names.

To become Christened in the Roman Catholic Church, the name traditionally is supposed to include a saint name, as preferred by the church.

In the Orthodox tradition, the child receives the name of the saint whose day is closest to the child's birthday. Of course today that custom is honored by giving a child a Baptismal name, which is basically a name that the child goes by when receiving Communion, and any other church sacrament.

Is the name Dagmar out now in the 21st century or does it pop up occasionally? Also any info on Andrews name? His family usually have boring repetitive names, but his is a fuscia crayon in a box of yellow ones.

Prince Andrew's name comes from his paternal grandfather, Prince Andrew of Greece.

the name Victoria

was queen Victoria mother the first royal with that name

was queen Victoria mother the first royal with that name
She most definitely was not. There were many other royals with the name before her, including:
- Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (Queen Victoria's mother), born 1786.
- Princess Victoire of France, Fille de France (daughter of Louis XV and Maria Leszczynska), born in 1733.
- Victoria of Valois (daughter of Henry II and Catherine Medici), born in 1556.

Incidentally, Victoria wasn't even the Queen's first name; it was Alexandrina (in honour of the Russian Tsar). Initially, it was assumed the young Queen would reign under her first given name, however she chose her middle name - Victoria - as her regnal name.

Last edited:
No, there were Victoria of Valois, daughter of Henry II and Catherine of Medici, born in 1556: Victoria of Valois - Wikipedia
Princess Victoire of France, daughter of Louis XV and Marie Leszczyńska (1733-1799): Princess Victoire of France - Wikipedia
An ever earlier Victoria was Victoria, ruler of the Gallic Empire in the late third centrury AD: Victoria (Gallic Empire) - Wikipedia

An other royal Victoria, Duchess Maria Anna Victoria of Bavaria - Wikipedia , (1660-1690) daughter-in-law of Louix XIV of France, grandmother of Louis XV of France and mother of Philip V of Spain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Victoria was the first woman to carry the name Victoria in England. There had been other royal Victorias, but not in England.

Was she called Victoria or a nickname for Victoria, or was she called Alexandrina or a nickname for Alexandrina?

Was she called Victoria or a nickname for Victoria, or was she called Alexandrina or a nickname for Alexandrina?
When she was younger, Queen Victoria's nickname was Drina (diminutive from Alexandrina). In her adult years, she was mostly called just Victoria.

Queen Victoria was the first woman to carry the name Victoria in England. There had been other royal Victorias, but not in England.
It's true that queen Victoria was the first royal woman with the name Victoria in England, but I doubt that she was the first woman ever in England with then name Victoria.

Meraude said:
It's true that queen Victoria was the first royal woman with the name Victoria in England, but I doubt that she was the first woman ever in England with then name Victoria.

Given its origin, the first woman in Britain with the name Victoria may have lived in Roman times. Just a guess on my part.

George VI wanted to name Margaret Anne, but his father didn't like the name. So when the Queen and Philip had a daughter, he had passed away by that time, so that's the name they gave her. As for the other three names:

Elizabeth: Her mother and grandmother
Alice: One of Victoria's daughters; also Philip's mother
Louise: Another of Victoria's daughters; the female form of Louis Mountbatten

Indeed,Louis XVI 's aunt was Princess Victoire of France,I believe she was the only French royal to use the French version of Victoria.

Archduke Imre of Austria is also a Prince of Hungary. Imre is a Hungarian first name. Archduke Geza, born 1940 and Archduke Istvan, born 1961 have Hungarian first names. Archduke Joseph Arpad was born in 1933. Arpad is a Hungarian name.

If Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik had followed the tradition of using Christian, Frederik, Christian etc. for the firstborn sons, Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark was supposed to be named Christian. However, to honour QMII's beloved father and to even out the names (Christian has always been a number higher than Frederik), he was named Frederik (and apparently, it moved Frederik IX very deeply that his oldest daughter named her oldest son after him).

We should also remember that Queen Margarethe has a cousin, whose name is Christian. Maybe that's also a reason why they posponed that name for a later generation.

Last edited:
I don't think that Count Christian of Rosenborg would have prevented her from using Christian if she really wanted to name her son that. The DRF has never been close to the Rosenborg-relatives.

Maybe so, but they obviously thought it was time for a new Fredrik, while the name Christian had to wait another generation.

We should also remember that had she been male, Margrethe would have been named Christian. By naming her son Frederick she's continuing the tradition of alternating monarchs and establishing herself as Christian.

Viscount Linley's Children

Charles Patrick Inigo

Charles: is after the Prince of Wales.
Patrick: is the patron saint of Ireland - Charles's mother was born in Limerick.
Inigo: is after Inigo Jones, who is said to be Linley's hero.

Margarita Elizabeth Rose Alleyne

Margarita: is a diminutive of Margaret, her paternal grandmother's name.
Elizabeth: I assume is after the Queen Mother, although I'm not 100 % sure as it could be after HM.
Rose: was personally selected by Margarita's brother Charles.
Alleyne: is a name in her mother's family.

I know they're not really royal! :p

HM (Elizabeth II)

I remember hearing that she was actually named after Elizabeth I, and not The Queen Mother like I assumed.

:previous: Yes I know; which is why I said "a name in her mother's family" for Alleyne. The other reason was because I knew that either the Viscountess's mother/grandmother shared the same name, but wasn't sure which. :)

Last edited:
We should also remember that had she been male, Margrethe would have been named Christian. By naming her son Frederick she's continuing the tradition of alternating monarchs and establishing herself as Christian.
She and Prince Henrike have also said that the saw it as a possibility that the numbers of the Frederik's and Christian's would be the same. Because until now the number of the Christian's is one higher then the Fredederik's. But as it is now Margrethe II. will be succeeded by Frederik X. wo will be succeeded by Christian XI.

:previous: Yes I know; which is why I said "a name in her mother's family" for Alleyne. The other reason was because I knew that either the Viscountess's mother/grandmother shared the same name, but wasn't sure which. :)
Name of Serena's mother is Virginia Alleyne, grandmother's name was Dorothy Alleyne. So it looks like female line tradition.

Princess Elisabeth was named after an anscestor, who became a saint. I would have to look up the story, but it was a lady who was born in the house of Hesse (Brabant?). GD Elisabeth of Russia was named for the same lady.

Prince Charles of Hesse and by Rhine lived from 1809 to 1877.
In 1836, he married Princess Elisabeth of Prussia (1815-1885).
This Princess Elisabeth is the ancestress and great-grandmother of Princess Elisabeth of Hesse, daughter of Ernest Louis.

Prince Oskar (Oscar) of Prussia was the fifth son of Emperor Wilhelm II of Prussia.
Wilhelm named his son Oskar after Oscar II, King of Sweden.

Was Prince Philip of Greece named after Prince Philip of Hesse?

Last edited by a moderator:
Viscount Linley's Children

Charles Patrick Inigo

Charles: is after the Prince of Wales.
Patrick: is the patron saint of Ireland - Charles's mother was born in Limerick.
Inigo: is after Inigo Jones, who is said to be Linley's hero.

Margarita Elizabeth Rose Alleyne

Margarita: is a diminutive of Margaret, her paternal grandmother's name.
Elizabeth: I assume is after the Queen Mother, although I'm not 100 % sure as it could be after HM.
Rose: was personally selected by Margarita's brother Charles.
Alleyne: is a name in her mother's family.

I know they're not really royal! :p

HM (Elizabeth II)

I remember hearing that she was actually named after Elizabeth I, and not The Queen Mother like I assumed.

Rose was also Princess Margaret's middle name.

Crown Prince Wilhelm of Germany (1882-1951) was Friedrich Wilhelm Victor Augustus Ernst.
Friedrich: After Emperor Friedrich III of Germany
Wilhelm: After Emperors Wilhelm I and II of Gdermany

Not exactly. It was more a naming tradition, denoting his place as first born son. His father and grandfather were both Frederick William. His great grandfather who was alive when he was born was William. But that is because Kaiser William was a second son. His older brother was Frederick William. The kaiser's father and grandfather both held the name as well. He broke the six generation tradition when he named his eldest son William.

Victor he shared in common with his father, and was likely in honor of his grandmother Victoria. Augustus was a family name, but the masculine form of his own mothers name.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom