The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Courtier

Longest Royal Marriages

What Royal Couples past or present have had the longest Marriage? If you can try and post ones who were (Or have been) married for at least 30 + Years if you can. Everyone has a different idea on what is considered a Long Marriage. Some say 20 at most is considered Long which I agree with.

The Top 5 Longest British Royal Marriages between a Monarch and their Spouse:
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip: 65 Years
King George III and Queen Charlotte: 57 Years
King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra: 47 Years
King George V and Queen Mary: 42 Years
King George II and Queen Caroline: 32 Years

I only started with King George I and went form there so if there was a monarch before that who was married longer then the five I listed above feel free to post.

I also only did the British Monarchy so others well have to list the Longest Marriages of other Monarchies as I don't know a lot about Norway, Denmark, Sweden, etc.

Also it doesn't only have to be between a Monarch and their Spouse. It can be any Royal couple I just did it that way.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Courtier

Here one for the Netherlands

Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard: 67 years

Old 11-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The previous count and countess of Paris were married for 68 years.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Majesty

The problem with looking at these marriages is that divorce wasn't an option so it is possible that they were 'married' in name but were actually living totally separate lives.

Princess Helena, Queen Victoria's daughter was married for over 50 years (I remember that Wilhelm II even sent them a congratulatory telegram for the occasion during the war).
Old 11-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Weren't they actually living apart for the last 20 or something years of his life? He was living with a woman named Monique-something, who attended him at his death?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Nobility

Here is what i found about Sweden:
Prince Oscar bernadotte Duke of Gotland and Princess Ebba Bernadotte were married for 58 years
Prince Carl Duke of Vstergotland and Princes Ingeborg Duchess of Vastergotland were married for 54 years
King Oscar II and Queen Sofia were married for 50 years
King Gustaf V and Queen Victoria were married for 49 years
King Chareles XIV and III John and Queen Desiree were married for 46 years
Old 11-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Isabel, Princess Imperial of Brazil, and Prince Gaston, Count of Eu, they stay married for 57 years, until her death in 1921. That was a true love match, which was something rare of Royal marriages during the 19th century.

On the other hand, their poor daughter-in-law, Princess Maria Pia, became a widow at the age of 42, and stay a widow until her death, at the age of 95.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:08 AM
Nobility

I think the Emperor Showa(Hirohito) of Japan died days before his 65th wedding anniversary.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I'd forgotten about The late Count & Countess,they were married on the 8 April 1931 at Palermo Cathedral in Sicily.HRH The Count died on the 19th of June 1999,aged 90. HRH The Countess died on the 5th of July 2003 aged 91.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

Weren't they actually living apart for the last 20 or something years of his life? He was living with a woman named Monique-something, who attended him at his death?
Exactly! They were separated. The late Countess of Paris, who was a real lady, had a very miserable life with him.
And this Monique was supposed to steal a very huge part of the Count's enormeous fortune, plus jewelery and art item, which disappeared.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Consort Ming View Post
I think the Emperor Showa(Hirohito) of Japan died days before his 65th wedding anniversary.
And his brother Prince Mikasa and his wife married in 1941 and as they both are still alive they are married since 72 years which is the Rekord as far as i know.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 11-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Exactly! They were separated. The late Countess of Paris, who was a real lady, had a very miserable life with him.
And this Monique was supposed to steal a very huge part of the Count's enormeous fortune, plus jewelery and art item, which disappeared.
Yes, thank you fandesacs2003 I thought so. The Count and Countess of Paris remained married only in the most technical sense, in reality the marriage seems to have ended some time in the '60's.