The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-09-2005, 04:01 PM
Royal Highness

I agree Alexandria...It is nice to sit in bars that are smoke free....you don't come out smelling like a cigarette. I have long hair and my god you can smell it all over me.

But....in the same respect I cannot stonewall the smokers because they have a right to enjoy the bar.....so a lot of bars have added patio areas if they are able to for smokers to go out and smoke.

Old 09-11-2005, 01:39 AM
Aristocracy

QEII does not smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashinka2002

Queen Elizabeth is said to have smoked always privately (not in the public eye) She is said not to be a heavy smoker. I don't know if she still smokes or not. I guess she grew up in the era where it was socially acceptable, both her parents smoked. They say if your parents smoke than your more likely to smoke as well. I feel sorry for these royals/public figures who are scrutinized. The press makes it look like they are demons for a smoking habit that really isn't that bad. Yes, it looks and smells nasty but I'd rather be a smoker than a cocaine addict/alcholoic or medical affliction at least your still in control of your mind as oppose to the other.
I wonder where you read this because by all accounts as far as I know queen elizabeth ii never smoked and in fact reffered to smoking as "that nasty habit" and Prince Phillip quit smoking for her. He also didn't smoke on his wedding day as a gift to her or something like that. Why would he do that if she smoked too?

Old 09-12-2005, 03:15 AM
Aristocracy

no, qe2 neva smoked!!!! her sister did, but not her!!!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I think it should be noted that such discussions are being held in particular cities or provinces in Canada -- not the country as a whole. it would not be a federal law but a provincial or municipal one.

Where I live in Ontario, my municipality was actually one of the first in the province to go smoke free. Toronto was one of the more reluctant cities to do so, but has done so within the last year.

As far as I've heard, the smoking in public outdoor places is really mostly intended for places where children might be around, or people with health risks -- eg. public schools, hospitals, nursing homes, daycares, etc. It would not necessarily apply to all public places, nor your backyard.
You are correct. The location I am speaking about is in Ontario.

About 2 years ago I took my daughter to a restaurant for lunch. The restauraunt during the day way a family spot and in on evenings and weekends was more of a pub. We were turned away. I was told that because of the new laws that had passed the restauraunt had to choose if they would be a smoking or non smoking facility. They choose to be a smoking facility and as a result they were not allowed to permit any children into thier place of buisness. That was fine by me we went some where else. This was in Mississauga a city beside Toronto.

yes, restrictions for smoking in outdoor places are intended children, the elderly and those with health problems but also for those without health problems to. The reason why I said restrictions on smoking are being considered in our backyards is because many people do have small if not tiny yards where the smoke can drift over to the neighbours yard. Also in condo's and appartment buildings the air is the same. Smoke rises, people may smoke in hallways, either way over a period of time a tenant/owner will be inhaling a smokers smoke no matter how small it may seem. The smell can seep into thier belongings and ruin them as well. The issue is not if the non smoker has health problems but will they have them in the future because of the smoke. There are many cases where this ahas been proven true. I think these are valid arguments and that if brought up in the legal system would be seriously considered. Healthy people should not have to wait until they are sick IMO.:)
Old 09-12-2005, 11:10 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise27
I wonder where you read this because by all accounts as far as I know queen elizabeth ii never smoked and in fact reffered to smoking as "that nasty habit" and Prince Phillip quit smoking for her. He also didn't smoke on his wedding day as a gift to her or something like that. Why would he do that if she smoked too?
Over the years I have read many, many articles and books in QEII. I only recall one which claimed that she was a light smoker abt 2 a day in privacy. For me to find the source would be impossible since I don't keep all of the material that I read. Some of it from libraries, mags, papers.... I don't know why Prince Philip would quit smoking for her if she herself was a smoker. Possibly for future children? Maybe what I read was untrue, that's not entirely impossible either. I just think that if she was a smoker at any time the palace would have kept it as quiet as possible.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashinka2002
About 2 years ago I took my daughter to a restaurant for lunch. The restauraunt during the day way a family spot and in on evenings and weekends was more of a pub. We were turned away. I was told that because of the new laws that had passed the restauraunt had to choose if they would be a smoking or non smoking facility. They choose to be a smoking facility and as a result they were not allowed to permit any children into thier place of buisness. That was fine by me we went some where else. This was in Mississauga a city beside Toronto.
Mississauga is my municipality! :)
Old 09-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Mississauga is my municipality! :)
Neato!!
We could secretly be neighbours and not even know it! :p
Small world!!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:59 AM
Aristocracy

a pleace actually turnin customers away?????
Old 09-17-2005, 12:29 PM
Royal Highness

Do Alexia of Greece still smoke? I just see a pics of her smoking in Norway,1993.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:12 AM
Aristocracy

apparently she gave up for the birth of her daughter
Old 09-19-2005, 02:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hania
apparently she gave up for the birth of her daughter
Thanks! God she gave up!
Old 09-20-2005, 03:56 AM
Aristocracy

lots of royals gave up smokin for their children's birth!!!
Old 09-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
yes she does,jo.if u look at the earlier pages of this thread u wil see their are two pictures of her smoking and even queen sofia is a heavy smoker
Can you put them? :)
Old 09-22-2005, 04:38 AM
Aristocracy

It is ina thread on the spanish royals on holiday, will try and get them
Old 09-22-2005, 05:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
It is ina thread on the spanish royals on holiday, will try and get them
Of this year??
Old 09-22-2005, 08:20 AM
Aristocracy

nope, about a year back
Old 09-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Royal Highness

Thanks, hania
Old 09-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Royal Highness

I read somewhere Queen Sofia has three a day, one after each meal.

Of course there will be royals who smoke...and maybe some who do more than cigarettes..they are human after all...
Old 09-22-2005, 12:47 PM
Serene Highness

[QUOTE=Lady Marmalade]I read somewhere Queen Sofia has three a day, one after each meal. [QUOTE]

I also read that and it said that she doesn't smoke average cigarettes but 'those of the long variety'
Old 09-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...sOfIa....
I also read that and it said that she doesn't smoke average cigarettes but 'those of the long variety'
How do you know that? :)