What Languages Do The Royals Speak?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melissajames said:
I am quite surprised that the Spanish royals are apparently fluent in English. I travelled around Spain for two weeks and my experience tells me that English is not very widely spoken in Spain, not even in tourist areas.

Or may be they just get very fed up with tourists trying to speak English to them so they pretend they don't understand! LOL!

You made me laugh! xD Ok, it's true that spanish people don't consider English like a important or serious language... We have two official languages and that makes it a little bite difficult, also is we learn very slow, you can imagine? I'm in the last year of school (so, I think is a 12º grade in USA) and we studied Condicionals, Passive and Reported Speech last year!!! So I'm not surprised... Also you can imagine how bad is our English level because I'm the person who have the most high mark in English in all my grade :p
And yes, actually they speak very good English but it is weird because no one member of the royal family (except Infanta Cristina) speak catalan, euskera or gallego (well, I hate the on-line translators and I don't know how translate this ;) ) that are spoke by milions of people in Spain, for example Catalan is spoke for 6 millions and that doesn't include Valenciano... So it's really weird...

SpiffyBallerina said:
Where did you hear this? I've never heard of (then) Crown Princess Beatrix going to Queen Margrethe's court for any period of time.

I have read this in several dutch books and it is told in several dutch documentaries abput Queen Beatrix. I assume it is true.

bct88 said:
Queen Beatrix speaks Danish? I've never heard that before. What would be her reason for learning Danish? I know she speaks German, English, and French apart from Dutch, but Danish?

she must have learned Danish in school. I've read in various magazines that she speaks danish. I'm afraid they were all hardcopies and some time ago so I dont think I can furnish any proof in the form of links. a journalist friend of mine who covers the royal family told me Beatrix had done an "internship" with Margarethe to see how her court works.

also, Beatrix could be seen clearly singing along to all the hymns at M and F's wedding.

I dont know if Beatrix spoke German. I've read that when she and Claus first met they spoke English to each other. she may have learned it later.

BTW, Maxima was speaking French on her recent trip to Morocco.

Last edited:
Princess Marie of Liechtenstein - German, French, English.

Princes and Princesses of Luxembourg (childrens of Jean and Josephine-Charloote) - Letzeburgesch, French, English, German.

magnik said:
Princess Marie of Liechtenstein - German, French, English.

Princes and Princesses of Luxembourg (childrens of Jean and Josephine-Charloote) - Letzeburgesch, French, English, German.

I'd be happy to apologize if I'm wrong, but I think the official language name is 'Luxembourgish', but I could be wrong!:)

Yes, but letzeburgesh it's other name of it.:)

ally_cooper said:
And yes, actually they speak very good English but it is weird because no one member of the royal family (except Infanta Cristina) speak catalan, euskera or gallego (well, I hate the on-line translators and I don't know how translate this ;) ) that are spoke by milions of people in Spain, for example Catalan is spoke for 6 millions and that doesn't include Valenciano... So it's really weird...

They are the Spanish Royal Family not only of Catalonia, and in Catalonia the Spanish is also an official language. Not that languages know more or less, but their official language is the Spanish, who is the one that the Spanish speak for the most part that we are 44 millions.
To know these languages they would turn out to be slightly useful, though the Prince if he speaks something about Catalan. So much the Catalan how the Galician they are languages derived from the Latin and look like enough the Spanish. The euskera is difficult enough and people speak it even less. Those languages are only spoken in those territories and not in the rest of Spain. The Spanish is the official language of the State, although those languages are Co-officials. In spite of that in his speeches in those provinces always they introduce phrases in those languages.

As for the English, nowadays the children study English and French in the college, but 30 years ago, the things were different.

Nowadays the things have changed in the world, and the Spanish is a language that advances express.

Yes, and I always thought that in Louxembourg people talks on Germa.

Greets:)

magnik said:
Yes, and I always thought that in Louxembourg people talks on Germa.

Greets:)

Is it just similar or the same except for a few unique differences, like with the Scandinavian languages?:)

Layla1971 said:
Is it just similar or the same except for a few unique differences, like with the Scandinavian languages?:)
I must just say that not all the Scandinavian languages is similar! Norwegian, Dainsh, Swedish, Icelandic, Samii(they speak it in Norway, Sweden and Finland) and Finnish is not similar. Swedish, Norwegian and Danish is similar. Finnish is nothing like rest of the langusges..well its a little like Samii.

LaMinka said:
I must just say that not all the Scandinavian languages is similar! Norwegian, Dainsh, Swedish, Icelandic, Samii(they speak it in Norway, Sweden and Finland) and Finnish is not similar. Swedish, Norwegian and Danish is similar. Finnish is nothing like rest of the langusges..well its a little like Samii.

I really totally forgot about Icelandic and Finnish! I was just referring to Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian.

pollyemma said:
I dont know if Beatrix spoke German. I've read that when she and Claus first met they spoke English to each other. she may have learned it later.

They said in their engagement interview that the courtship was conducted in both English and German. I'm almost certain that German is a language commonly used in that family since there are so many Germans in it for such a long time. I've read that the young Princess Beatrix was fluent in German VERY early on (probably thanks to her dad). Besides, aren't German and Dutch very similar (in terms of pronunciation and such)?

Also, QB's English is perfect because she was very young when she was exposed to it (during the exile in Canada during WWII). Her accent has changed through the years though. I saw a video of her in the USA in 1958 and her accent was basically American/Canadian! During the English engagement interview in 1965, her accent had shifted some and it sounded a little more upper-crust. Now it's a very dignified accent that is difficult to place, but it sounds like a more rounded American and slightly British accent.

SpiffyBallerina said:
I've read that the young Princess Beatrix was fluent in German VERY early on (probably thanks to her dad). Besides, aren't German and Dutch very similar (in terms of pronunciation and such)?

I think the similarity is overrated. i speak dutch and I can understand german only a little if someone speaks it very very slowly and saying only simple things.

and once anyone starts with the regional accents, it's all greek to me.

i suppose it would be easier for a native dutch speaker to learn german than for say, a native french speaker, but they will have to study long and hard.

Layla1971 said:
I really totally forgot about Icelandic and Finnish! I was just referring to Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian.
You didn't forget ;) Scandinavia is just Norway, Denmark and Sweden. Iceland and Finland are, along with the Scandinavian countries, part of what is commonly called the Nordic countries.

And after 12 years of Norwegian classes, I can draw up a pretty language tree, showing how the various languages are related and how Finnish and Sami fits in, but I'll spare you ;)

Speaking of Sami, I wonder how good Märtha Louise's Sami really is. I know she learned enough to read to Sami children, but does anyone know if she's taken that knowledge to another level?

I do not know if it has been posted, Prince Michael of Kent speaks a perfect russian

pollyemma said:
wow! that's amazing. did she ever spend any time studying there?

Not the Princess, the PRINCE!

He very often goes now, i do not about before. He is very interested about Russia, he consider as a part of his family story

fandesacs2003 said:
Not the Princess, the PRINCE!

He very often goes now, i do not about before. He is very interested about Russia, he consider as a part of his family story

oops. sorry, should have read more closely. you always hear so much about her and very little about him.

that's really cool. he sort of resembles the last tsar, imho.

reeda2000 said:
King abdullah of jordan speaks fluent english (his british mother) and also french .....he is not fluent in arabic...

King Abdullah isn't fluent in Arabic?! I know that his English is perfect, but wouldn't being unable to speak Arabic work against him in Jordan...it seems like the Jordanian people wouldn't really accept that from their king. Can anyone give any more details about KA arabic abilities?

Lyle said:
King Abdullah isn't fluent in Arabic?! I know that his English is perfect, but wouldn't being unable to speak Arabic work against him in Jordan...it seems like the Jordanian people wouldn't really accept that from their king. Can anyone give any more details about KA arabic abilities?

he seemed a little uncomfortable speaking arabic when he first ascended the throne (though that is not to say he wasnt fluent)but now he uses the language so much its not problem for him anymore

It must be all that facial hair in the same style. Their face shapes are very similar too.

SpiffyBallerina said:
It must be all that facial hair in the same style. Their face shapes are very similar too.

true but those noses are all also extremely similar!

I think Spanish is a very difficult language to master, specially for those coming from europeans countries, that languages come from a common branch: english, dutch, german, etc while spanish comes from the latin branch that groups french, italian, portuguese, etc.

Spanish is hard because involves soo many grammar rules, much more than english does and the language itself is incredibly rich, sometimes a word in english means an entire phrase in Spanish, so it's hard for those who don't come from a "latin" country.

That's maybe the reason why many european royals aren't fluent in spanish, besides as we latins say, spanish isn't a language, it's an experience, you probably won't learn spanish very well taking classes as you do with english because many of the language characteristics and speaking is all about knowing where you are, it really changes from one country to another, I'm Colombian and sometimes I can't get the expressions from a Peruvian person and our countries are right next to each other:eek: .

I believe nowadays the "in-languages" are english, spanish and mandarin, so good look to all our beloved royals learning chinese:D :D

reeda2000 said:
King abdullah of jordan speaks fluent english (his british mother) and also french .....he is not fluent in arabic..his wife Queen Rania speaks arabic and english ...not fluent in french...

How is it that a king of an arab country isn't fluent in arabic? And woot! for chinese!

Princess Stephanie of Monaco speaks English fluently with no accent at all its very American.

I've read that Princess Caroline speaks 5 languages fluently. They are english,french,spanish,italian,german. I also heard that she speaks in english with an American accent just like her brother and sister.

crisiñaki said:
That's maybe the reason why many european royals aren't fluent in spanish, Not true.;) :) Princess Caroline of Monaco I belive speaks fluent Spanish. I've read she speaks 5 languages fluently and Spanish was metioned several times.:) :)

Hi would anybody happen to have a video clip of Princess Caroline speaking English,because I've only heard her speaking French. Thanks.

De La Cruza said:
That's maybe the reason why many european royals aren't fluent in spanish, Not true.;) :) Princess Caroline of Monaco I belive speaks fluent Spanish. I've read she speaks 5 languages fluently and Spanish was metioned several times.:) :)

I've said many, not all royals;) :D

LaPlusBelle said:
How is it that a king of an arab country isn't fluent in arabic? And woot! for chinese!

I saw him on TV speak Good Arabic but I remamber his first year as king he wasn't that good in stander arabic but I think he improved in that , Stander Arabic not very easy to speak not every one can speak it good .

Back
Top Bottom