The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-03-2004, 08:53 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balqis
King Abdullah loves to cook for friends and family. I like that.
Yea,Though I don't think he's still doing that,Is he?

Old 09-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley
I cannot remember what Q. Noor wrote on the subject, but although she did try to be up earlyish, the late king was well known for his nocturnal habits. A typical day would have him getting up at about 11 -12, having a meal, going to work at about 2, and working through the afternoon and evening, eating again sometime through the day. Dinner would be very late, about eleven or so at night. It is true that he was a keen Ham radio operator. The evenings would either involve going to the private cinema or when videos came in, watching videos, late into the night. He rarely slept before 3 am. It made it very difficult for people who worked around him, as official Jordanian working hours were 8 am - 2pm so he would want to start work when most people were ending their working day.
Inresting! How about the others,Hamzah,Hashem and Ali,well we all know they love all kinds of water sports and they love climbing,boxing and driving,and I think I read somewhere That Hamzah loves reading,Is there anything else you would like to share? :)

Old 09-03-2004, 09:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoula
Oh Weee Oh WOW! How do u know all that,U really do love Prince Hassan Alot!
Yea well i like him too,he's an amazing person,and from what I've heard he's so down to earth.
I do like him a lot ! And the family. I think he has had a bum rap in many ways. What is interesting is that actually I think he bridges the gap between the older and younger generations. Well versed in Arabic lore language and culture which sits well with the traditional element, and also very westernised in the right sense of the word as well. I should have mentioned that he is also an excellent dancer - especially Latin American. It was fairly usual for P. Hassan and P. Sarvath to be the star turn at many family wedding parties and dances with a nifty rock and roll number, or a chachacha. You have to remember that this couple have been together so-oo long. Married thirty six years and known each other for ten years as children before that, they are each other's best freinds as well, and can go back to shared memories as teenagers when this sort of dance was 'in'. And therefore unself conscious in their relationships without any 'baggage'.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:16 AM
Nobility

P. Hassan and P. sarvath caused quite a stir downtown last week as they walked into a regular cinema to see Farenheit 9/11. Apparantly there were a lot of double takes when the lights went on at the end of the show.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:21 AM
Aristocracy

polo-did someone say p-o-l-o?????

shelley, tell me more, tell me more. puuuuhhhhlease.

polo is the world's oldest team sport, orginiated somewhere in the badlands of modern day persia/pakistan. i didn't know that jordan had a national team at the world cup. a friend of mine is playing in the tournament also. the dxb polo club was started by royal charter from the late shk rashid and is one of the only (if not the only) sporting club still in existance today that was begun before the formation of the uae. but unfortunately the current rulers could care less and the whole thing has fallen into disrepair.

also there is a polo club in egypt that has the pyramids as the back drop so everyone i know whats to go play there just to have their picture taken playing polo with the pyramids in the background.

tell me more. tell me more!!!

Quote:
P. Rashid is a very good rider and internationally ranked polo player and an excellent shot. A Cambridge 'blue' in both polo and shooting who also rode for Sandhurst and his regiment, ( The Lt. Dragoons) and captain of the Jordanian Polo Team, he will be competing in the World Cup later this autumn.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipi Tombe
shelley, tell me more, tell me more. puuuuhhhhlease.

polo is the world's oldest team sport, orginiated somewhere in the badlands of modern day persia/pakistan. i didn't know that jordan had a national team at the world cup. a friend of mine is playing in the tournament also. the dxb polo club was started by royal charter from the late shk rashid and is one of the only (if not the only) sporting club still in existance today that was begun before the formation of the uae. but unfortunately the current rulers could care less and the whole thing has fallen into disrepair.

also there is a polo club in egypt that has the pyramids as the back drop so everyone i know whats to go play there just to have their picture taken playing polo with the pyramids in the background.

tell me more. tell me more!!!
About what ? Polo ? Prince Rashid ?? The World Cup ??? ! Jordan does not have a national team at the world cup, they got knocked out in the semi final.
P. rashid has been asked to play an an individual in anothe r team. I am not sure which one, but I do know he plays for teams other than the Jordanian one. He played a couple of benefit matches with P. Charles on his team this summer. The Jordanian Polo Club was started in the fifties and sixties by some senior army officiers who had been at Sandhurst and also trained in India, Pakistan and Iraq. It then sort of fizzled away as the first players became older, until P. Hassan, who played polo at Oxford, revived the Club in Jordan. They have exisited ever since then, but there have never been that many players as there is no tradition of polo in the country. Prince Hassan no longer plays competively but now P. Rashid is really keen and pulling the club back up. There is apparantly a new generation of players coming up. I believe however, that P. Rashid is one of the best players in the area. He has not yet got a particularly high handicap yet , but considering he only plays competetive polo in fits and starts, when he is in England, he is good to have an international ranking at all. Most of the people he plays against spend all summer doing nothing else.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:38 AM
Aristocracy

just looked on the world cup website. the jordan team didn't make it to france. actually no arab or middle eastern team did. quite a shame, since that is the orgin of the sport. the pakistan team made it, however.

is p. rashid's last name hussein also? i looked on the hpa site for his handicap and it didn't list it? don't think he would be a member of the us polo ass. what is his handicap?

heard p. rashid is not that much of a looker so not really interested in him-just the polo.

Quote:
About what ? Polo ? Prince Rashid ?? The World Cup ??? !
Old 09-03-2004, 09:46 AM
Nobility

Quote:
just looked on the world cup website. the jordan team didn't make it to france. actually no arab or middle eastern team did. quite a shame, since that is the orgin of the sport. the pakistan team made it, however.

is p. rashid's last name hussein also? i looked on the hpa site for his handicap and it didn't list it? don't think he would be a member of the us polo ass. what is his handicap?

heard p. rashid is not that much of a looker so not really interested in him-just the polo.
He he isn't that a bad looker - just a little short in the legs, like all true Hashemites, I guess ! There is picture on his father's website ! When last I hear it was 2 or about to become two depending at what happens in Chantilly.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:50 AM
Aristocracy

short guys.....not my style.....

2 is a respectable handicap. it seems that is what seperates the truly dedicated (and borderline professional) from the weekend warrior. good on him!!

Quote:
He he isn't that a bad looker - just a little short in the legs, like all true Hashemites, I guess ! There is picture on his father's website ! When last I hear it was 2 or about to become two depending at what happens in Chantilly.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Serene Highness

If you go to their websites, their hobbies are listed.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Commoner

i read once that queen rania loves to cook too.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:15 PM
Aristocracy

she might love to cook-but she doesn't look like much of an eater.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
short guys.....not my style.....

2 is a respectable handicap. it seems that is what seperates the truly dedicated (and borderline professional) from the weekend warrior. good on him!!

Really..don't bite my head off, but don't you like Mo? Isn't he short? LOL
Old 09-03-2004, 06:37 PM
Aristocracy

short=shorter than me. mo is same height as me or slightly taller (i'm 5'8"). also mo doesn't 'look' short standing around -has something to do with the dishdasha. whereas those hashemite guys all look shrimpy no matter what they are doing.

no probs, sommone. you have ali as an avatar and you know that boy is as short as the weekend after payday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommone
Really..don't bite my head off, but don't you like Mo? Isn't he short? LOL
Old 09-03-2004, 06:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
short=shorter than me. mo is same height as me or slightly taller (i'm 5'8"). also mo doesn't 'look' short standing around -has something to do with the dishdasha. whereas those hashemite guys all look shrimpy no matter what they are doing.

no probs, sommone. you have ali as an avatar and you know that boy is as short as the weekend after payday.

LOL...I usually don't like anyone that I have to look eye to eye at...in fact, any man under 6' is considered short to me. Ali is the exception to the rule for me, Ipi. I don't exactly know how tall he is, but if he stands over 5'5, which is what I am, he's good to go...but I suppose as long as Rym's happy, far be it for me complain.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I cannot remember what Q. Noor wrote on the subject, but although she did try to be up earlyish, the late king was well known for his nocturnal habits. A typical day would have him getting up at about 11 -12, having a meal, going to work at about 2, and working through the afternoon and evening, eating again sometime through the day. Dinner would be very late, about eleven or so at night. It is true that he was a keen Ham radio operator. The evenings would either involve going to the private cinema or when videos came in, watching videos, late into the night. He rarely slept before 3 am. It made it very difficult for people who worked around him, as official Jordanian working hours were 8 am - 2pm so he would want to start work when most people were ending their working day.
Now that's something I didn't know....fascinating. QN also wrote she lost a ton of weight during their courtship as he wolfed down his food and was done before she'd even finished the soup course.......
Old 09-03-2004, 07:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
Now that's something I didn't know....fascinating. QN also wrote she lost a ton of weight during their courtship as he wolfed down his food and was done before she'd even finished the soup course.......

Hi Mary Shawn, haven't spoken with you in awhile...I suppose KH would have had a lot heartburn and indigestion.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:15 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
I have heard this, and it made a problem at official dinners when he would finish before everyone else and they would start clearing the plates rather than make him wait around too long for everyone else. Not hugely polite of him not to notice...but perhaps if someone has been king since they were eighteen they kind of get used to everything revolving round them. But apparantly the king and Noor were like Jack Sprat and his wife, as she was a particularly slow eater !
Old 09-04-2004, 02:43 AM
Nobility

what do they do?

I have always wondered what royals do all day long? I mean, there isn't that much official thing to do is there?
Old 09-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Is there a specific royal you had in mind? And do you mean the Spanish royals in particular or royals in general?

In regards to the Spanish royals, the King and Queen, Felipe and Letizia have very rigorous schedules so I think their down time is limited. All their duties aren't necessarily about showing up, shaking hands, cutting some ribbons and making small talk before leaving. There is research to be done or read on particular organizations or individuals, the King likely meets up with the government regularly to be kept informed and up to date on government decisions or actions even if he does not get a say in things, the Queen and Felipe each have organizations in their name and likely spend some time being filled in and making decisions about the organization.

Cristina and Inaki each have jobs as well as three young sons to take care of and to chauffeur back and forth to school.

Elena and Jaime also each have jobs and two young children to take care of. Elena is also an avid equestrian and participates in competitions often so she also has training.