The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-02-2018, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post

Further more after the long period without a Queen (Queen Maud died in 1938, King Olav was a widower all through his relatively long reign), Norwegians weren´t used a Queen attending the parliament opening anymore. After 1938 CP Olav accompanied his father for this event and after that, since 1957 (CPss Martha having died already in `54) CP Harald joined his father Olav.

So, if the current "arveprinsessen", Ingrid Alexandra, will attend the opening of parliament when 18 years of age, will, by today´s standards, depend on one thing only. And that is, if King Harald will be still alive in 2022 or not. If he is, we will witness the same royal persons attending this event like we have seen today.

Even before 1938 Queen Maud rarely attended the Opening of Parliament seldom as during this time of the year she usually spend time in the UK. I read somewhere in this Thread that the last time she attended was in 1922. Perhaps Ingrid Alexandra will also attended as the Arveprinsessen in 1922 even if King Harald is still alive. I think one has to wait and see.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Queen Sonja was not a "commoner" anymore when her husband ascended the throne, as you know. So, this was, of course, not the reason (it would be some kind of hypocritical and weird, if a parliament, especially one of such an egalitarian state and society such as Norway, representing THE PEOPLE, would exclude a person only because he/she had no aristocratic or royal background...!) The reason was that the Queen consort in Norway, like any other male or female spouse of the monarch, is not considered having an official constitutional role, other than the Sovereign him/ herself of course and the immediate heir.

[....]
That is constitutionally the most pure. The King and the successor to the King are named in the Constitution. Personally I like it when the King is alone on the dais. That symbolises his role in the state.

To illustrate this purity: in 2013 some Dutch courthouses hanged portraits of the new royal couple. Then a correction was issued: justice is spoken in name of The King. The pictures with the royal couple were removed indeed and changed for ones with The King only.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Even before 1938 Queen Maud rarely attended the Opening of Parliament seldom as during this time of the year she usually spend time in the UK. I read somewhere in this Thread that the last time she attended was in 1922. Perhaps Ingrid Alexandra will also attended as the Arveprinsessen in 1922 even if King Harald is still alive. I think one has to wait and see.

I know, but this was not based on constitutional reasons, but because the Queen had other businesses to do as you said yourself, visiting her relatives in England. I wonder if she would "get away with it" these days, missing one of the most important duties in the royal calendar... I think only sickness would be an excuse nowadays.

About IA attending even if the current monarch is still alive I´m not so sure of. Yes, we´ll see...
Old 10-02-2018, 12:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
That is constitutionally the most pure. The King and the successor to the King are named in the Constitution. Personally I like it when the King is alone on the dais. That symbolises his role in the state.

To illustrate this purity: in 2013 some Dutch courthouses hanged portraits of the new royal couple. Then a correction was issued: justice is spoken in name of The King. The pictures with the royal couple were removed indeed and changed for ones with The King only.

I´m not sure if "purity" is something I expect, of all things, of a monarchy...
I like The King AND Queen being a joint force, a team for the country. In most monarchies portraits of both the monarch and his spouse are being hung in all public and official buildings. In my hometown in the Norwegian Sailor´s church is a portrait of the royal COUPLE in the vestibule. I remember having seen this in old documentaries about Greece in the 1960s or Belgium during Albert IIs reign, where portraits hang in courts of justice. https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...c2Aoky6Tfw5ro=
Isn´t there nowadays also a state portrait hanging of Pr. Philip in the royal gallery in the Houses of parliament right beside the doors at the robing room (I think in the 1950s and 60s there were state portraits of King George III and Queen Charlotte hanging there). https://static.independent.co.uk/s3f...:9,offset-y0.5

I think that´s the way it should be, having grown up with this and in effect being used to this idea.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
In which language are parliamentary deliberations ordinarily held?
In Norwegian, which is one of two languages in Norway (the other is Sami). - But keep in mind that the Norwegian language consists of several dialects, which of course are used (during the parliamentary deliberations) by the MPs who speak them.
Nynorsk OTOH (which I referred to in post 131) is first and foremost a written form of the Norwegian language (used by around 10% of the population). - And although it does appear as a spoken language, it's mostly used in the context of a manuscript. I.e. in speeches, news broadcasts and theaters.

--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Why is Mette-Marit never present on the opening day of the parlament?
Because there is no tradition for the heir's wife to be there (not even in the absence of a consort). - And there is no place for her to sit either.

--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Perhaps Ingrid Alexandra will also attended as the Arveprinsessen in 1922 even if King Harald is still alive. I think one has to wait and see.
Well, then she has to sit in the gallery together with the diplomats and the personal guests of the MPs, which will REALLY SURPRISE me.

--------------------

And then to the discussion about the Queen's presence back in 1991.

I wrote a bit about it last year, but that was when I still used translations, because I was unsure of my own English writing. - So here we go:

A few of the then 165 (169 from 2005) ''stortingsrepresentantene'' (''MPs'') didn't want the Queen to attend because she had nothing to do there constitutionally. - But a LARGE MAJORITY of them (especially the female ones), the media - and last but not least, the King himself, wanted her there.

Tags
crown prince haakon, haakon, haakon magnus, harald v, king harald, queen sonja, sonja, stortinget