The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Belgian Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-28-2008, 07:23 AM
Royal Highness

I had the great honour of meeting ex-King Leopold III, when he came to Amazonas. As my Father was honorary consul of Belgium in Manaus, we had this great pleasure. King Leopold III, was a gentleman, a very nice person and became friends with my Father, and they exchanged letters frequently. When my Father died, I was living in England and wrote to the king to tell him about it. He had the grace of answering my letter and sending me a photo he had taken of myself and my Father in the window of the Opera House in Manaus.
I always heard through many sources that he was devoted to Queen Astrid and suffered terribly with her death, as did the three children.
His second wife Liliane, came to Manaus in one of his visits, but she was not a very agreable person. He was a true aristocrat and at the same time humane and thoughtful.I shall never forget him. God bless his soul.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:10 PM

Thank you for sharing

I was moved by your story.
Thank you for your support of King Leopold III
You will be glad to hear that the truth is now being told about King Leopold III and his leadership in the 18 day campaign of 1940.
King Leopold III of the Belgians - The Scapegoat Who Saved the British from Defeat in 1940.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Gentry

i found a magazin with really nice things about the monarchys and in the belgium part i found a couple of King Leopold Photos where he looks really like the prince amadeo, i wanna know your opinion
Old 12-11-2008, 10:42 PM

Feeding the

Crocodile:Was

Leopold Guilty?

Recent article written by THE CHURCHILL SOCIETY admitting that Winston Churchill had lied about King Leopold III that King Leopold failed to advise the British and the French regarding the capitulation of the Belgian army.

Churchill in his famous speech of June 4 1940 said

"Suddenly, without prior consultation,

with the least possible notice,

without the advice of his Ministers

and upon his own personal act, he

sent a plenipotentiary to the

German Command, surrendered

his Army and exposed our whole

flank and means of retreat."

http://users.skynet.be/on5np/leopold.pdf
Old 03-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Royal Highness

What about the rumours about his cheating on the lovely unforgettable Queen Astrid?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:48 PM

http://users.skynet.be/on5np/keyes.wma Radio Interview ! Lord Keyes on the "great lie",
http://users.skynet.be/on5np/churchill.pdf Churchill Version on King Leopold III denied.
http://users.skynet.be/on5np/leopold.pdf Was Leopold Guilty ?
Old 08-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIII View Post
Feeding the

Crocodile:Was

Leopold Guilty?

Recent article written by THE CHURCHILL SOCIETY admitting that Winston Churchill had lied about King Leopold III that King Leopold failed to advise the British and the French regarding the capitulation of the Belgian army.

Churchill in his famous speech of June 4 1940 said

"Suddenly, without prior consultation,

with the least possible notice,

without the advice of his Ministers

and upon his own personal act, he

sent a plenipotentiary to the

German Command, surrendered

his Army and exposed our whole

flank and means of retreat."

http://users.skynet.be/on5np/leopold.pdf

This is pretty interesting. For other reasons, I never believed Churchill to be the perfect hero he was always made out to be.
Thanks!
Old 10-02-2009, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Some time ago, I've read something about a possible marriage between King Leopold III and Archduchess Adelheid of Austria, after the death of Queen Astrid; is it true? Does someone have more informations about?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

According to the Belgian media, King Leopold has a illegitimate daughter who is now 70 and lives in the USA. The half sister of King Albert is called Ingeborg Verdun. She is the daughter of the late Leopold and his secret mistress Liselotte Country Beck.

Article
Het Nieuwsblad - Koning Albert heeft geheime halfzus
Old 03-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Commoner

Quote:
http://users.skynet.be/on5np/keyes.wma Radio Interview ! Lord Keyes on the "great lie",
http://users.skynet.be/on5np/churchill.pdf Churchill Version on King Leopold III denied.
http://users.skynet.be/on5np/leopold.pdf Was Leopold Guilty ?
I listened to that radio interview. VERY interesting. Churchill really was a despicable character.

The truth ALWAYS comes out eventually. Churchill IMO seems at heart a very cruel, very vindictive and self-serving man. Wanting the Belgians to sacrifice and then turning around and attacking and tarnishing Leopold's name.
Perhaps Churchill was a bit bitter, as Leopold was a TRUE, gracious aristocrat raised by honourable parents. :)
Old 11-10-2011, 11:57 AM

King Leopold III's Speech to the USA Oct 27 1939

Speech by the King Leopold III
Broadcast to the United States on October 27th, 1939

On the verge of an attack and in the service of civilization, King Leopold III
now commander in chief of all Belgian armed forces explains Belgium's position in the war.
In 1936 when the allies failed to stop the Nazi's from re-entering the Rhineland
Belgium adopted her policy of armed independence.

In 1937 Belgium proclaimed her armed independence, and each of her three great neighbours took note of her declaration. Indeed, they went further--they gave Belgium, of their own accord, formal assurances that they would respect Belgium's territory and would guarantee the independence of Belgium. The
declaration of armed neutrality by the Belgian Government at the beginning of the war was the logical conclusion of this policy and was supported by Belgian people.
Listen to a real KINGS SPEECH !

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/3241...-10-1-meg?da=y
Old 11-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

Quote:
Speech by the King Leopold III
Broadcast to the United States on October 27th, 1939

On the verge of an attack and in the service of civilization, King Leopold III
now commander in chief of all Belgian armed forces explains Belgium's position in the war.
In 1936 when the allies failed to stop the Nazi's from re-entering the Rhineland
Belgium adopted her policy of armed independence.

In 1937 Belgium proclaimed her armed independence, and each of her three great neighbours took note of her declaration. Indeed, they went further--they gave Belgium, of their own accord, formal assurances that they would respect Belgium's territory and would guarantee the independence of Belgium. The
declaration of armed neutrality by the Belgian Government at the beginning of the war was the logical conclusion of this policy and was supported by Belgian people.
Listen to a real KINGS SPEECH !

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/3241...-10-1-meg?da=y
Thanks for posting.
Very interesting.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:46 PM

Hi,i am probably asking on the wrong thread,but here goes,,,,My mother in her single days,around the mid to late 30's, was as I remember her telling me, a Governess to the Royal Belgian Family,now that she has passed away(1971) we are trying to piece things together,I also remember seeing a Photo of her with a very Regal looking pram in a park in Brussels,Are there any records of Royal Household servants from about that time? Her maiden name was Mary Elizabeth Crosby(Crosbie) Born 1916,In Tuam County Galway Ireland Workhouse,hope someone can help,
Regards Tommie Brennan South Australia
Old 11-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Tommie,
You should write to the Royal Palace of Brussels , sending and saying all what you know with their proof/evidence.
They have a Department of Royal Archives . Kind regards from Maria Olivia
Old 12-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Aristocracy

DVD "Léopold III, mon père"

Princess Esmeralda´s DVD "Léopold III, mon père" is out at last.
https://www.cdmarket.eu/eu/shop/dvdvideo/detail/4154764/Documentary-Leopold_Iii_-coll._Ed
For those who have a Belgian or Luxemburger address RTBF shop sells it for only 25 euros at Lopold III, Mon pre - Boutique RTBF ditions

Tags
abdication, astrid, belgian history, biography, king leopold iii, leopold iii, lilian baels, princess lilian, princess of rethy, queen astrid, world war ii