The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghislaine
We're getting rapidly off topic here....
Brilliant piece, MyAdia.
It's just a pity that Albert, Charlene in her numerous interviews and the palace haven't worked a bit more on defusing the rumours. Then all this media attention that Albert complains so much about wouldn't have happened. Now everyone can explain things in his/her own way - the boards, the tabloids.....
Exactly the problem -Charlene likes the media attention and wants people to know that she is with Albert. Albert let's her do the interviews or at least doesn't seem mind her doing them or her family for that matter. She and her family have contributed to the rumour mill. This is one of the reasons I don't respect her. Their relationship should be private until such time as Albert makes a statement and the only statement he has made is that he has no plans to marry in the near or distant future which he stated last summer. So it makes the relationship more tantilizing to the tabloids. JMO.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:08 PM

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to voice our thougts on the issue. This is nice!

In my humblest opinion, Charlene is not suited to be a princess, not even a companion. HSH Prince Alberts needs -and deserves, as do the Monaguesques- a woman who is not only pretty -which I do not believe Charlene to be- but also a cultured, secure, professional who speaks multiple languages and holds discretion as a high standard. Perhaps someone with a bit of a past but not a scandalous one and certainly one who knows between private moments and public appearances.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi
I don't find age difference between Albert and Charlene disturbing. In most traditional societies it's quite common that a husband is much older than wife. And Charlene is almost 30 y.o, so in this age it doesn't seem so a huge age gap, if she were in her early 20s and Albert was in his 40s it would be different. I mean Charlene is not a girl any more. I consider a women in this age mature. Many posters wants future Albert's wife to be in her 30s, but it's almost Charlene's age. But I think many don't accept age difference b/c of Charlene's behavior. She is just childish. Her life also seems like someone in early 20s or below. She doen't have any career plans. I don't think anyone believes in her swimming plans. Many people in her age have already families.Charlene just seems a clueless girl.
Well, I would have to agree with you, it was perhaps traditional 50 years ago, & that is because it was also traditional for women to marry for position & money, not love. Albert has waited for such a long time I don't understand why he would or should settle now for something that will end up as an arrangement. I think some of us see society as being more evolved & was hoping Albert was a more modern man & was not dating someone for his own insecurities as he grows older, as so many delusional men do. I think there are a few exceptions & I'm mostly thinking about a completely different era like Chaplin & Oona O'Neil. I believe her mother died when she was young & was brought up as Eugene O'Neil's daughter where she also played hostess to many literary types. So having a malt w/ billy after the sock hop was probably not going to be very interesting for her. Unfortunately her father disowned her when she married Chaplin. But, I'm sure she was an exceptional young woman & from her children's account she loved her husband.

I have a few friend's who married men 8 to 10 yrs their senior when they were 20 & their husbands were just 30 (still hot). They are divorced now as women mature & are looking for companionship rather than a father figure & they know longer care about the $$$s. Just about all the women I know who married later in life are all married to men close to their age & usually younger. Most traditional men like to control their wifes - Women will not put up with that kind of inequity in their lives any longer. As you say I really wouldn't have a problem if she even acted her own age & had something going on as a women. I even dated older men in my 20's because I had more in common with them than guys my age, but never as a prop on their arm. As we age we all mature in different directions I guess. I would never date anyone more than a few yrs older than me now. Just like Albert wouldn't date someone kicking 70. But Charlene being juvenile and a clueless girl as you state & looking for fame & fortune in the traditional way, is what makes the age difference that much more disturbing to me. If they're married, I can't see it lasting and a marriage for Albert will not be so easy to get out of & that much harder to find a women who might be right for him.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm
Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to voice our thougts on the issue. This is nice!

In my humblest opinion, Charlene is not suited to be a princess, not even a companion. HSH Prince Alberts needs -and deserves, as do the Monaguesques- a woman who is not only pretty -which I do not believe Charlene to be- but also a cultured, secure, professional who speaks multiple languages and holds discretion as a high standard. Perhaps someone with a bit of a past but not a scandalous one and certainly one who knows between private moments and public appearances.
Yes I think it's the lack of descretion & the fact that she doesn't know any better that backs up your statement that she isn't secure or cultered. I would settle for just those three things, actually it's her lack of maturity that bothers me most. That's four things.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:53 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsla
Yes I think it's the lack of descretion & the fact that she doesn't know any better that backs up your statement that she isn't secure or cultered. I would settle for just those three things, actually it's her lack of maturity that bothers me most. That's four things.
Yep, very true. But I hold Albert responsible for this as well He is not an innocent bystander. If he didn't agree with her and her actions, he would have broken up long ago. He is still seeing her, I have a hard time believing he doesn't know about the interviews, her behaviour and her talking to everyone who wants to hear, so I suppose he is ok with it. Sad but true. And yet again the norm is lowered.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm

I agree with you, this is what i wanted to say about Charlene, There are so many pretty, cultivated, professional women, please Albert!!
Old 01-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Commoner

Its surprising that Albert does not find a successful woman with all the events he attends and all his charity work. Maybe he does not mix business and pleasure?
Old 01-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Its surprising that Albert does not find a successful woman with all the events he attends and all his charity work. Maybe he does not mix business and pleasure?
Maybe he doesn't want to get married and the best way to keep people from marrying him off is to always hang around someone who is unsuitable.

He is rich, handsome, ruler of a small country where he can pretty much do what he wants. Even though he's balding, Albert is a nice catch for a woman. He just doesn't seem interested in anything other than a light hearted racy romance.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Maybe he does not mix business and pleasure?
Somehow, I sincerely doubt that.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Maybe he doesn't want to get married and the best way to keep people from marrying him off is to always hang around someone who is unsuitable.

He is rich, handsome, ruler of a small country where he can pretty much do what he wants. Even though he's balding, Albert is a nice catch for a woman. He just doesn't seem interested in anything other than a light hearted racy romance.
I do not think that he would liketo get married, and why should he?? His succession is secured, bothe his sisters have enough children for that. Even if you stay to the "old" succession principle, Andrea, Pierre & Louis are there.

Now it think that for "personnal" use his is really attracted by the "non suitable" women, Neither Nikole Coste, nor Jasmine's mother could make a suitable Princess, after Grace Kelly.

So he takes his pleasure as he wants and that;s it
Old 01-24-2007, 08:17 AM
Administrator

And maybe that's the problem....everyone wants another Grace Kelly. From where I stand...thats a pretty high standard. She was a great princess and in death she has become a legend.

And really thats unfair to Albert (expecting him to marry someone like his mother) and anyone that he dates (constant comparisons to Grace).

If he enjoys Charlene's company, and is upfront with her regarding the status of their relationship (i.e. the other women he dates) and has flat said he will not marry. I don't understand why him "dating" Charlene is a problem. As already mentioned, the succession is secure. She appears with him at social events...its not like she is meeting world leaders.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
And maybe that's the problem....everyone wants another Grace Kelly. From where I stand...thats a pretty high standard. She was a great princess and in death she has become a legend.

And really thats unfair to Albert (expecting him to marry someone like his mother) and anyone that he dates (constant comparisons to Grace).
That's true
Comparison to Caroline is also heavy. Imagine the poor candidate, squized between the two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
If he enjoys Charlene's company, and is upfront with her regarding the status of their relationship (i.e. the other women he dates) and has flat said he will not marry. I don't understand why him "dating" Charlene is a problem. As already mentioned, the succession is secure. She appears with him at social events...its not like she is meeting world leaders.
I did not follow very well, but why Charlene is SOOOOO insuitable??

After that, Monaco is small place, without a real strategic importance in that Earth??? What is wrong with Charlene??

In Norway they took Mette Marit, having everything wrong and against her, and finally the country has survived
Old 01-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Nobility

I don't see anything wrong with Charlene as a person (from what little I know of her).I think the problem arises when she is compared with Princess Grace and unfortunately falls short.

Although Monaco is small the main problem (IMO) is that everyone would like Albert to marry someone who could bring back to Monaco a little bit of "magic" and glamour that Princess Grace brought with her.

Unfortunately the type of women Albert is obviously attracted to aren't the types who people perceive as "princessy". He appears to prefer the sporty, outdoor type and if you look at Charlene she fits the bill (like Alicia Warlick).

I personally think that nothing can't be changed if you have enough money and resources - so there could be hope for Charlene. A stylist and mini-makeover, instruction in etiquette might make her appear more suitable.

Maybe we could expect an announcement on the anniversary of when they first appeared in public - February, I think (just joking, ha, ha)
Old 01-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Aristocracy

LadyS, Do you as someone from South Africa think that Charele is a serious contender for the Olympics? I'm begining to think she is a fake.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Nobility

To be honest I'm not very into sports and I had never heard of Charlene Wittstock until she was spotted with Prince Albert at the Olympics. Then she was on the front page of our daily newspapers. I mean I live in Benoni and had never heard of her.

I know about our gold medal winners so I'm not completely oblivious (ie Penny Heyns, Natalie du Toit, Ryk Neethling etc)

As for being a serious contender I would have thought that 28 or 29 is a little old but then I am certainly no expert about sports and swimming. (this is of course my personal opinion)
Old 01-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Aristocracy

I often wonder what the IOC members think of Prince Albert' s relationship with Charlene Wittstock. IM sure it does not make either one look good in the eyes of the members or the athletes.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyS
I personally think that nothing can't be changed if you have enough money and resources - so there could be hope for Charlene. A stylist and mini-makeover, instruction in etiquette might make her appear more suitable.
Doesn't this normally occur when the woman is engaged to be married? You wouldn't spend thousands on just anyone. It would have to be "the" one. Sadly anyone Albert dates will be compared to Grace, just like anyone William and Harry date will (in some way) be compared to Diana.
To me she seems to be a young lady who is having fun and enjoying a nice relationship with Albert. And I'm sure she knows about the other women & maybe doesn't care (because she could be dating other men). They could have a totally open relationship- one with no strings attached. Or maybe she (& any other women) are a smoke screen for a real relationship he is having with someone else.

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 01-28-2007, 04:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghislaine
Yep, very true. But I hold Albert responsible for this as well He is not an innocent bystander. If he didn't agree with her and her actions, he would have broken up long ago. He is still seeing her, I have a hard time believing he doesn't know about the interviews, her behaviour and her talking to everyone who wants to hear, so I suppose he is ok with it. Sad but true. And yet again the norm is lowered.
I couldn't agree more, This is why I mentioned the age difference before also. I know men her age who would find her wannabe personality bothersome, all the camera preening & blabbing to the press is just really revealing to her character & agenda to me?. So someone in Alberts position at almost 49 - I just don't understand. I'm in the entertainment industry in LA & her actions & behavior would be a problem for men in my town & they could afford to date that personality type if they wanted but they find it a real turn-off & they are not a head of state where they need to be taken that seriously.

and for the posters who think it's just not being able to measure up to Grace:

Yes I feel sorry for any one in that position who is always going to be compared to Grace Kelly, but aside from some being blonde that is the only comparrison i can see with any one he's dated.

I agree if they are both mature enough to understand the relationship & he kept her out of the press instead of parading her around no harm done. But I think he was just having some fun when he ended up with two unwanted children & women he thought betrayed him? I'm sure they did -but then he chooses to date women like this? So I think it's hard for people to take him seriously?

I think there are many women out there that are not Grace Kelly but still possess some integrity at least in the company of Prince Albert & the press. That is why we have a problem with Charlene, not that she doesn't have a formal education, or the fact that she seems to have focused her life so far solely on herself, but it's that she can't show an ounce of discretion or maturity & it doesn't speak much to Albert's.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I couldn't agree more, This is why I mentioned the age difference before also. I know men her age who would find her wannabe personality bothersome, all the camera preening & blabbing to the press is just really revealing to her character & agenda to me?. So someone in Alberts position at almost 49 - I just don't understand. I'm in the entertainment industry in LA & her actions & behavior would be a problem for men in my town & they could afford to date that personality type if they wanted but they find it a real turn-off & they are not a head of state where they need to be taken that seriously.

and for the posters who think it's just not being able to measure up to Grace:

Yes I feel sorry for any one in that position who is always going to be compared to Grace Kelly, but aside from some being blonde that is the only comparrison i can see with any one he's dated.

I agree if they are both mature enough to understand the relationship & he kept her out of the press instead of parading her around no harm done. But I think he was just having some fun when he ended up with two unwanted children & women he thought betrayed him? I'm sure they did -but then he chooses to date women like this? So I think it's hard for people to take him seriously?

I think there are many women out there that are not Grace Kelly but still possess some integrity at least in the company of Prince Albert & the press. That is why we have a problem with Charlene, not that she doesn't have a formal education, or the fact that she seems to have focused her life so far solely on herself, but it's that she can't show an ounce of discretion or maturity & it doesn't speak much to Albert's.
Amen! Sandsla you hit the hail on the head. I don't think anyone expects Albert's wife to fill Grace's shoes she was one of a kind. This person will have to have the brains and maturity to cut her own path like Queen Rania did who followed the ground-breaking Queen Noor. I know that comparison sounds silly to compare Albert's wife with those two but it's just an illustration as to how it can be accomplished.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:

This is true....blonde is the only thing that Charlene and Grace appear to have in common. But how often in these threads do we not hear/read...she isn't like Grace, why can't he marry someone like Grace, etc. So while its true that it appear he is not dating someone like Grace, Charlene and other women he has dated are being held up to the Grace Kelly standard nonetheless. And its interesting to note, that Grace's past wasn't so clean as well. I wonder what we will think of Charlene in 20 years or so?