The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-29-2006, 07:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsh1969
IMO Mr Biancheri is resigning because of this trial, and does not want to cast a bad light on PA's gov.
No, that was not his reasons, although the trial might shed further bad light on him and some other officials. The retirement fund (government controlled) sold land to several adjoining communities. Among them a plot (2754qm) that was bought by M. Biancheri from that community for the price of 344250 Euros via another company. He build a house there. The price is considered reasonable (though you can bet that any of us would have had to pay heaps more in an area where you can't get a decent house with 500qm garden under 1000000 Euro). It has been judgedby M.Proust that this behaviour needs to be criticised, but it wasn't "malhonnete"(fraud). The whole thing was judged in the contest of the time!! the consequence is that he stays in office and there will be reforms voted asap. As a sideline, the whole thing only popped up after an article a month ago in Patriote. So there was no involvement of any official control organ until this article and without it, we probably would have never known about it.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:08 PM
Serene Highness

I will post tomorrow some more on this when I have read more details in the MC matin (there is sth about the reforms etc.)

Old 03-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Serene Highness

First of all interesting post Laura Elizabeth and I'm glad you enjoy this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Elizabeth
Leads me to believe he'd like to take Monaco into either developing a back-bone structure of internet trading and data-warehousing and security and/or setting up an independent exchange for Monaco (your country probably relies on the CAC, with other European Exchanges being secondary). Has any work gone into this, that you're aware of?
Actually I haven't heard anything, but mainly I think PA wants attract clean industries, who need office space rather then large factories. Also I think he might want to get the university to be more attractive to people (it was close to closing down not that long ago due to mismanagement).

Quote:
Well, Mark Thatcher was denied residency in Monaco, so there's a plus but has anyone else?
Well, I know of some people, but they were already banned while PR was alive and weren't big names. If it is not a big name, we probably won't here about it anyways.

Quote:
The reality is, money laundering will always be a problem in every country, not just Monaco. Where the human mind has a will, it will find a way. I find it interesting that he includes the US tax authorities - I'm guessing this is about terrorism funding.
too true. Yes I think so too. There are a lot of wealthy Arabs all around in the area so one with a big suitcase of money wouldn't be noticed. But what I have recently noticed with my bank was that now even with relatively small amounts coming from a foreign country (in my case it was Germany), they give you a ring to find out whom it was from (even though you receive a letter when the money has been credited on your account and it is obvious whom it is from). So they are more scrupulous now. They also seem to be working with the French tresor now, because once a year you receive a paper that you have to hand in with your tax. Also certain high interest accounts you can only open once you have done your tax declaration and are under a certain income level.

Quote:
Ephemeral - it's high-minded, it sounds good, but what is going on that shows he's (or the government) working on this? I know there have been conferences in Monaco since this speech, but is anything concrete coming from them?
well there was some conference on children's rights that Caro attended, but I don't think that was exactly what he was referring to and I should think that organizing those kinds of events takes longer.

Quote:
I'd give a lot to see the State budget, geeky number freak that I am
I know it is being published at least once a year. maybe you can have a look at the government website. They might have sth there.

Quote:
He has accomplished this. However, most experts agree the Protocol is deeply flawed and needs to be re-written. Is he working on this in conjunction with other countries?
So we know that he can write his name ad that the conseille national can all lift their arms for voting it in a secession. But applying it, doing sth. is sth different. At present the hotel industry wants to seperate their rubbish, but apparently that is not in the governments interest, because that way there won't be enough for the incinary plant to keep poluting us. The seem to be taking actions anyways. so see how that will work out.

Quote:
I know Monaco is not a part of the European Union per se, except through it's ties with France. Do you know why this is?
Yes. Like many smaller European countries, MC fears to have no say due to it's size. Also the EU was for a long time opposed as well, due to too strong ties and not enough independence from France. PR rectified this by rewriting some treaties with Chirac (which PA signed last year), which enable him now to chose his own government, which was not possible before. Also now a Monegasque can become ministere d'etat, which was impossible before. M Proust is the last in a long line of French proposals for the job.

Quote:
Trash is one of the most troublesome issues governments face. No one wants it. Who is responsible for the plant you now have? Is it possible for some of the trash to be shipped to France or Italy for incineration? Naturally, this would be costly... what isn't - or has this already been explored?
The plant is run by a government controlled company. Yes that would be possible, but actually it was the other way around, they were shipping it to MC, who uses the energy to have electricity (I think the streetlights are fed that way - I read sth like it).

Quote:
You should be glad you're not living in the United States Otherwise, I agree with you. I would think that, given the Prince's stance on ethics, he would have accepted the resignation. However, as I said, I'm not completely clear on what the problems are.
I guess that is the way in most countries, but they haven't got leaders who wrote moral and ethics all over their banner when the world was watching. Thus I keep watching and wondering whether he was sincere or whether this was all just a nice publicity stunt. I was there when he gave that speech and for the first time I was thinking that maybe one should and could take him seriously. I have to admit, even when closely read he remains vague about what he really is going to do and how he wants to achieve this, which measures he is going to take etc., I was moved at the moment it was given and I felt rather enthusiastic about PA. Unfortunetely that feeling has now hit rock bottom and I wonder whether it was only "salon" talk, sounds nice, but nothing is going to happen. Elected governments get 100 days to show where they are going, PA had a year and we are still not clear on this. It is actually this what made me start the thread, because I was thinking maybe with all this muddling with his private life, I just have lost track.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by paca
Also I think he might want to get the university to be more attractive to people (it was close to closing down not that long ago due to mismanagement).
:) I am very sorry to know that the university came close to closing down. I had the opportunity to visit the university one summer. I thought it was a wonderful place. I met Dr. Crener, teachers, students, and other personnel there. The university has great potential. Although I was a bit disappointed when I asked for directions, I had to ask more than one person because some did not realize there was a university in Monaco!?! All in all, I thought the university was unique and again has great potential. :)
Old 03-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I think the Prince can take on more of a diplomatic role in the EU as well as the UN. You have a good point: how would this financially benefit Monaco - and the answer is it might not. But strengthening Europe's "federal" (if you will) government will benefit all nations.
Maybe, maybe not...unlike individual states, European nations have a much more clearly defined cultural identity and appreciation of their own history. Economic advantages in theory may not translate well to reality. They don't take into consideration national personalities.

Quote:
Stunts like Chirac's walking out because a speech was being given in English and not French last week - please! - and all the other hissy-fits and posturing that has gone on has to stop. They have to come together and see themselves as many working for the good of one. I think PA has unique insights to offer the Europeans on how to achieve this. Whether they will listen, or if he can actually make concrete changes, is a huge question mark.
Perfect example of the national personality...I can imagine de Gaulle doing the same thing. As an unabashed Francophile, all I can say is Vive La France! :p What kinds of insights does PA have in this? Not trying to be sarcastic, but I'd like to see some of his specific ideas and outlines of how to implement them.

Quote:
I think that's because they haven't been shown the real benefits that can accrue to each individual nation as well as the corporate concept of a unified Europe.
But whose "corporate concept?" The idea is different from one country to the next. In the end, Europe will be a stronger force economically in the world but this may take several generations to sort out and in the end compromises will have to be made so the end result may not be what was envisaged.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:08 PM
Courtier

paca...interesting rebuttal...(I didn't quote for fear it would be too long a post)...particularly the part about the resignation not actually being a resignation? Do you think M. Deslandes was fired by PA? I'm a little confused...

Also, it's an interesting concept that Caroline had turning AMADE into a foundation that supports other, smaller charities rather than a direct service organization. As this is what I do now, it's a subject that I could discuss for hours. Do you know of anywhere that I could find her remarks on the subject?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:44 AM
Serene Highness

[quote=lal]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paca
Also I think he might want to get the university to be more attractive to people (it was close to closing down not that long ago due to mismanagement).

:) I am very sorry to know that the university came close to closing down. I had the opportunity to visit the university one summer. I thought it was a wonderful place. I met Dr. Crener, teachers, students, and other personnel there. The university has great potential. Although I was a bit disappointed when I asked for directions, I had to ask more than one person because some did not realize there was a university in Monaco!?! All in all, I thought the university was unique and again has great potential. :)
Yes, a lot of people don't know that it exists. Took me some time to find it too, ad who would suspect a university in a football stadium . At present I think they are fine (I think the government intervened last time they had problems, although it is essentially private)
Old 03-30-2006, 02:52 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady1991
paca...interesting rebuttal...(I didn't quote for fear it would be too long a post)...particularly the part about the resignation not actually being a resignation? Do you think M. Deslandes was fired by PA? I'm a little confused...

Also, it's an interesting concept that Caroline had turning AMADE into a foundation that supports other, smaller charities rather than a direct service organization. As this is what I do now, it's a subject that I could discuss for hours. Do you know of anywhere that I could find her remarks on the subject?
You might find sth on the amade webpage (you could even contact them, I'm sure they would be willing to provide info). I remeber having read this 2 or 3 years ago when they had a annual meeting. I remember the article running along the lines that she thanked Amade for their work and then started to criticise and insist that it need to be more efficient. She wanted to give it a new face.

As to MD, I'm not quite sure what exactly happened there. There are 3 possibilities, either he quitt, his time was up or he got fired. I don't think that his time was up though, because why would PA otherwise nominae him in November. Maybe he decided a long time ago, that under certain circumstances he would leave. I don't honestly know, but will keep you posed if I hear anything.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Gentry

Quote:
It has been judgedby M.Proust that this behaviour needs to be criticised, but it wasn't "malhonnete"(fraud).
The difference between illegal and unethical should be zero, in my opinion, but it rarely is. It looks like what he did was unethical but legal.

Quote:
Oh, I had no idea! Hmm... maybe I should look elsewhere to finish my phd? Just kidding, I wasn't considering the University of Monaco; I don't think I could afford it. It does bring up another area where the Prince could be looking to enhance Monaco's prestige though. Didn't his Father do a great deal on the primary education levels (pre-University that is)?

Quote:
I know it is being published at least once a year. maybe you can have a look at the government website. They might have sth there.
I've checked in the past and didn't see it. I'll check again. The lastest figures the CIA Factbook provide are from 1995! (Yeah, they're a real useful organization...)

Quote:
Yes. Like many smaller European countries, MC fears to have no say due to it's size. Also the EU was for a long time opposed as well, due to too strong ties and not enough independence from France. PR rectified this by rewriting some treaties with Chirac (which PA signed last year), which enable him now to chose his own government, which was not possible before. Also now a Monegasque can become ministere d'etat, which was impossible before. M Proust is the last in a long line of French proposals for the job.
I had forgotten about the changes the Prince got passed last year. I wondered at that time why not just completely separate from France. Utilities and policing, etc., can be gotten elsewhere, and more cheaply too. Do you think the majority of Monagasts would be comfortable with giving the French a complete "heave-ho" - allowing Monaco to be completely free of French government interest?

As for the EU, if all States have an equal representation then, regardless of the State's size, everyone has an equal say. Yes, larger States can band together and work for their goals, but so can the smaller States. It appears, from this side of the pond, smaller States like Luxembourg, Monaco, etc., don't band together and present their interests and needs in concert, especially within the EU, and I think that would be a natural "marriage" and something the smaller States would be doing.

Quote:
The plant is run by a government controlled company. Yes that would be possible, but actually it was the other way around, they were shipping it to MC, who uses the energy to have electricity (I think the streetlights are fed that way - I read sth like it).
Oh! That wasn't a brilliant idea, was it? Ah, it's so easy to be critical in hindsight. We have enough issues with trash in this country. My family vacations on Nantucket Island, off the coast of Massachusetts, several times each year. Several years ago the highest structure on the Island was the trash mound. The fighting that took place over what to do about the trash problem was unbelieveable. I think they finally contracted to have sent someplace else to be incinerated. The mountain of trash isn't as bad any longer, but it's still a serious problem.

Quote:
Elected governments get 100 days to show where they are going
On behalf of the United States, not that I have the right to speak for all US citizens, but I'm going to anyway: I apologize. That is one of the dumbest ideas we've ever exported. President Roosevelt was a unique individual with a (hopefully) once in a hundred years set of problems on his hands. He needed to convince the US, and the world that we were OK, we could fix the problems we had - hence, the 100 days of action. Now every President comes into office with that 100 Days sword hanging over his head. Somethings should never be dealt with that quickly; sometimes one should move slowly, with caution and deliberation. In the Prince's case, it does seem he needs to get moving. He (or whomever wrote speech) did set the bar high - perhaps too high. Perhaps everything he spoke about are things he really wants, but hasn't been able to find a way to make them happen. Or, being the cynic I am, it was just "salon" talk. I'd like to hope not, but...

pink

Quote:
But whose "corporate concept?" The idea is different from one country to the next. In the end, Europe will be a stronger force economically in the world but this may take several generations to sort out and in the end compromises will have to be made so the end result may not be what was envisaged.
Good point. And the concept of a unified Europe has been floating around since the turn of the last century.

I think that the Prince might have a unique opportunity to bring the other European nations around, however. What makes sense to US residents is a tad alien to Europeans. It's not that they're incapable of understanding, it's just so different it's difficult. Having a thorough understanding of both systems should mean he can build a bridge between European nations and help them forge a "more perfect union". Of course, that would require the Prince having the authority - the gravitas - within the EU to get them to listen to him. I don't know that he does. Yet.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Aristocracy

PA has installed an advisor, to his administration, Christiane Stahl. She has a background in public relations. I wonder what impact,if any, she has had on the Princes' image in the press. I know that she probably doesn't advise him on public behavior--but I wonder if she guides/influences his interviews,etc.
It is very important that he represent monaco well to the rest of the world.
If I had her job my head would spin...
Old 03-30-2006, 11:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Oh, I had no idea! Hmm... maybe I should look elsewhere to finish my phd? Just kidding, I wasn't considering the University of Monaco; I don't think I could afford it. It does bring up another area where the Prince could be looking to enhance Monaco's prestige though. Didn't his Father do a great deal on the primary education levels (pre-University that is)?
Actually, it's much cheaper to go to school in Europe than in the United States. Even though I had to pay tuition to Columbia as an undergrad, the semester abroad cost me considerably less (living expenses were slightly higher but there were many more student discounts available in Paris and throughout Europe than in Boston). The first way to improve its prestige is to get it out of the stadium. Granted space is an issue, but... Great athletics program though...

Quote:
I had forgotten about the changes the Prince got passed last year. I wondered at that time why not just completely separate from France. Utilities and policing, etc., can be gotten elsewhere, and more cheaply too. Do you think the majority of Monagasts would be comfortable with giving the French a complete "heave-ho" - allowing Monaco to be completely free of French government interest?
MC is an independent country with a "special relationship" with France, not another departement or a protectorate. I'm sure utilities, policing etc. being borrowed from France had much more to do with population limits and costs. Now there is a constant fear of "Polish plumbers" -- those from poorer nations who are more willing to work for cheaper wages in the more "menial" tasks. Not giving the "heave-ho" to France probably has a lot to do with why Puerto Rico doesn't give the "heave-ho" to the U.S.

Quote:
As for the EU, if all States have an equal representation then, regardless of the State's size, everyone has an equal say. Yes, larger States can band together and work for their goals, but so can the smaller States. It appears, from this side of the pond, smaller States like Luxembourg, Monaco, etc., don't band together and present their interests and needs in concert, especially within the EU, and I think that would be a natural "marriage" and something the smaller States would be doing.
In theory your first statement is what is implied by the Constitution of the United States. In reality, money/industry/prestige counts. That's the reason Mitt Romney, with his presidential aspirations, ran for governor of Massachusetts and not Utah. While the smaller countries you mentioned appear to be quite wealthy, their economic power doesn't really come from the kind of technology, durable goods, or other needs that will make Europe competitive in the global marketplace; therefore, they will never be seen as equal partners in the EU.

Quote:
Oh! That wasn't a brilliant idea, was it? Ah, it's so easy to be critical in hindsight. We have enough issues with trash in this country. My family vacations on Nantucket Island, off the coast of Massachusetts, several times each year. Several years ago the highest structure on the Island was the trash mound. The fighting that took place over what to do about the trash problem was unbelieveable. I think they finally contracted to have sent someplace else to be incinerated. The mountain of trash isn't as bad any longer, but it's still a serious problem.
I think they sent the trash from Nantucket to be incinerated elsewhere in MA. I remember the raging debate b/c they wanted to dump it in some of MA's poorer communities. I think it was settled by shipping 1/2 of it to NY and keeping the other 1/2 in state. I have to research it...but it provided a lot of funny and tense moments at the annual St. Patrick's Day breakfast for a couple of years.

Quote:
On behalf of the United States, not that I have the right to speak for all US citizens, but I'm going to anyway: I apologize. That is one of the dumbest ideas we've ever exported.
We like measurable results in a short period of time -- we're an impatient society. Yeah, it was dumb...its inception was suitable for the time and the circumstances, but now partisanship stands in the way of too much. Besides, FDR had a Democratic Congress to help him push through many of his ideas.

Quote:
pink Good point. And the concept of a unified Europe has been floating around since the turn of the last century.

I think that the Prince might have a unique opportunity to bring the other European nations around, however. What makes sense to US residents is a tad alien to Europeans. It's not that they're incapable of understanding, it's just so different it's difficult. Having a thorough understanding of both systems should mean he can build a bridge between European nations and help them forge a "more perfect union". Of course, that would require the Prince having the authority - the gravitas - within the EU to get them to listen to him. I don't know that he does. Yet.
Unification didn't sit well at the turn of the 20th century -- have two world wars as the proof. (Yes, there was more to it but I keep thinking about the Anschlauss (sp?)) I just don't see imposing a US model on Europe as a way of helping them become more competitive. I think Europeans need to find a uniquely European solution to those issues. PA is a small cog in the wheel and while he may be able to help broker agreements among the European nations, I just don't see MC becoming a huge political force on the world stage. Nothing personal, I'm intrigued by and smitten with MC (and all of Europe) and the opportunities given to someone close to my generation to start to affect world political and economic policies, but I think the next great political leader will come from either the United States or Latin America or Africa.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Actually, it's much cheaper to go to school in Europe than in the United States. Even though I had to pay tuition to Columbia as an undergrad, the semester abroad cost me considerably less (living expenses were slightly higher but there were many more student discounts available in Paris and throughout Europe than in Boston).
Oh dear pink! Lead me not into temptation! If I quit my job and run off to Paris, (well, most likely London and the LSE), it's all your fault!

Quote:
Not giving the "heave-ho" to France probably has a lot to do with why Puerto Rico doesn't give the "heave-ho" to the U.S.
That's one that's always boggled my mind. I understand the reasons, but geez... If I were from Puerto Rico I'd be demanding statehood or independence.

Goodness, I'm turning into quite the radical in my old age.

Quote:
In theory your first statement is what is implied by the Constitution of the United States.
I suppose there is a part of me that is still a dreamer. I believe in the theory, in spite of the fact that it doesn't work the way it should. Smaller nations have the ability to compete as equal partners in the EU for the very reason that they are small and can move and change with the times faster than the larger nations. The wealthy small nations can make the fullest use of technology available to them, to grow their economies - but you're right, the hard commodities, unless in very small units, they cannot produce en masse.

Quote:
but it provided a lot of funny and tense moments at the annual St. Patrick's Day breakfast for a couple of years.
I just bet it did.

Quote:
Unification didn't sit well at the turn of the 20th century
No, but the dream started then. It's valid and it's do-able.

I wouldn't say impose the US model (pre-Bush administration nonsense) on Europe, but there are valid ideas that Europe can use in the unification process. The Constitutional process, because it's conducted by Europeans, would ensure it is uniquely European and works just for them.

I still think the Prince has a unique perspective and could sieze the opportunity to make some real changes on the European stage. I'm not sure he will. And, if he did, I'm not sure how much he could influence European governance. But you don't know until you try

Quote:
but I think the next great political leader will come from either the United States...
You have more faith than I do on that score.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:53 PM
Serene Highness

here is a link to the announcement of the nomination of M.Deslandes (as additional info) by Chirac following a proposition of M Sarkozy (who happens to be friends with Christian Estrosi who incidentally runs the region of PACA and is delegated minister in the present government and who has known and worked with M.Deslandes those last few years....) http://www.gouv.mc/304/wwwnew.nsf/19...enDocument&1FR
Old 03-31-2006, 08:00 PM
Serene Highness

Here is a link to the Ceprom which is to look into ideas to develop the future of MC http://www.gouv.mc/304/wwwnew.nsf/19...enDocument&2Fr
Old 03-31-2006, 08:03 PM
Serene Highness

Announcement for the creation of an Alzheimer center ( like in many other countries the well being of the sick and elderly is a major problem in MC) http://www.gouv.mc/304/wwwnew.nsf/19...enDocument&2Fr
Old 03-31-2006, 08:09 PM
Serene Highness

The link for the new busline for handicapped people http://www.gouv.mc/304/wwwnew.nsf/19...enDocument&1Fr
Old 03-31-2006, 08:20 PM
Serene Highness

Laura Elizabeth, here is your link to the state budget 2004
http://www.cde.mc/uk/po001.htm
Old 04-02-2006, 12:27 AM
Gentry

Thank you, paca, for all the links.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Serene Highness

You're welcome.

An interesting sideline to the interview given by M. Deslandes a few days back: todays paper printed another interview (first question was exactly the same, though the answer was completely different). In this interview there was no mentioning of PR or PA and he kept himself strictly to question regarding his job. It was underlined that during these years, he was among other things responsible for the education national, thus an explanation to his answer in his previous interview ... I wonder what was the purpose of this second interview, especially since it was to the same paper...
Old 04-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Serene Highness

[quote Laura Elizabeth]
Quote:
I intend however that ethics remain the backdrop for all the actions of the Monegasque authorities. Ethics are not divisible. Money and virtue must be combined permanently. The importance of Monaco's financial market will require extreme vigilance to avoid the development of the type of financial activities which are not welcome in our country. To avoid such deviance; Monaco must function in harmony with all those organizations who share the same aim. Monaco must therefore respect the requirements of FAFT-GAFI (Financial Action Task Force on Money Laundering) and the tax authorities and in particular the French and American tax authorities, and respect all the other good practices in the control of financial flows.
Well, Mark Thatcher was denied residency in Monaco, so there's a plus but has anyone else?[/quote]

I was just thinking of this today. A lot of people use MC for tax evasion. The normal procedure is, that you have bring your rental contract (if you don't own) etc. and the note the size of the app. plus the number of people living there. Whether you are actually there is controlled by your electricity bill, which is why you see in some app. the bathroom lights burning 24/24. Others use timers or sublet to friends, familiy etc. But I also know of people who actually live in across the border in France, work in MC and use their parents address in MC to avoid paying taxes (why a son of over 40 would still live in his parents 3 or 4 bedroom app. is a question apparently not asked by the authorities). Since his presence for the requested number of days can not be denied by the EDF bill, I don't see how this sort of tax evasion can be prevented, unless unexpected controls take place, where you can tell by inspecting the app. whether someone is living in a place or only using it for tax purposes. ( in the particular case I mentioned the presence or absence of his own room and things could be taken as proof)