The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert, Princess Charlene and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1141  
Old 08-02-2010, 10:06 PM
LadyMacAlpine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: *****, United States
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Thank you, Lady MacAlpine. They didn't like Grace. And, Grace for all her charm, may not have liked them. She never relinqished her American Citizenship, even as Princess of Monaco. I am sure there are some who would have words for that. Charlene will speak French in due time, how well, who knows. Charlene is lovely and they will love her, she just need to become more comfortable with what will become her position.
I'm sorry yes she did relinquish her American citizenship, Monaco doesn't allow you to have dual citizenship. My point in saying they didn't like Grace was the reason they didn't was because she didn't speak French for the first two years and considered her a snob. Charlene has lived there for four years two more than Grace. Charlene hasn't worked for the last 4 years should know how to speak it by now and that is part of why the people do not like her. Charlenes friends are English speaking not among the French speaking according to people that live there and that should also say something about what the French speaking natives think about her.

Fan of Monaco the part about not speaking French came from a De Massy.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1142  
Old 08-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,457
Dual citizenship was allowed when PG got married. It isn't now. PG didn't relinquish her US citizenship until her 25th wedding anniversary. It was an anniversary present to Prince Rainier. I still don't think you have to be Monegasque to be married to the Prince. Grace keeping her US citizenship may have been a political move. France was really harrassing Monaco at the time. Also France would not let US Navy ships dock on their shores and Monaco did. This is one of the things I love about Monaco. They are great chess players.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1143  
Old 08-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ......, Argentina
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
For all we know, she does know basic French, having picked it up the last 4 years while staying in Monaco. She just doesn't feel comfortable enough holding a conversation in French, *yet*.


I guarantee Miss Wittstock will at least be able to hold a conversation in French within the year.
You contradict yourself. If in a year she can hold a conversation, what has she been doing in 4? I hope she has been learning about general culture like politics, literature, art. It doesn´t look so. It looks like she doesn´t care anyhting else but the way she looks.
Prepare to become a princess is not only change your look so as to like other people. She will be the representative of a country of which she barely speaks the language after LIVING there for long.
Reply With Quote
  #1144  
Old 08-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spring Hill, United States
Posts: 2,822
4 years is hardly a long time. I live in the U.S. and many people come here from many foreign lands. Some learn the language, quickly, some never. Some speak it well, others will heavy accents. It depends. Yes, she will have to learn. No one knows what she has done for the last 4 years. How can you tell. Have you ever spoken with her. Have you an idea about what she has studied or learned in the last 4 years. Comments on what you don't know is not, really, enlightening. It is all supposition.
Reply With Quote
  #1145  
Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 PM
LadyMacAlpine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: *****, United States
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
Dual citizenship was allowed when PG got married. It isn't now. PG didn't relinquish her US citizenship until her 25th wedding anniversary. It was an anniversary present to Prince Rainier. I still don't think you have to be Monegasque to be married to the Prince. Grace keeping her US citizenship may have been a political move. France was really harrassing Monaco at the time. Also France would not let US Navy ships dock on their shores and Monaco did. This is one of the things I love about Monaco. They are great chess players.
According to what I have read she did.
Reply With Quote
  #1146  
Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ......, Argentina
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
4 years is hardly a long time. I live in the U.S. and many people come here from many foreign lands. Some learn the language, quickly, some never. Some speak it well, others will heavy accents. It depends. Yes, she will have to learn. No one knows what she has done for the last 4 years. How can you tell. Have you ever spoken with her. Have you an idea about what she has studied or learned in the last 4 years. Comments on what you don't know is not, really, enlightening. It is all supposition.

Did I said she has been doing nothing? Or did I say I HOPE?

As for the few times we heard her voice her French is awful. I Hope she´s better at, let´s say, something else.
Reply With Quote
  #1147  
Old 08-03-2010, 01:24 AM
CrownPrincess5's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beverly Hills, California, United States
Posts: 2,555
Cut Charlene some slack people.
Learning a different language is very hard. I know this from experience.
It's much easier to learn when young. The older one becomes, the harder it will be.
French is not easy...I say give her a few more years.

I believe Princess Marie is still learning, or trying to perfect, the Danish language as well. And she's been apart of the royal family for awhile.
__________________
I don't dream at night, I dream all day. I dream for a living.
-Steven Spielberg
Reply With Quote
  #1148  
Old 08-03-2010, 03:00 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brooklyn, United States
Posts: 165
Albert and Charlene the future Princess of Monaco

"Case Closed" is just a figure of Speech.
Reply With Quote
  #1149  
Old 08-03-2010, 04:48 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ......, Argentina
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
French is not easy...I say give her a few more years.

We are not saying she has to speak French perfectly. Shall I repeat? Maxima learnt Dutch, which is particularly difficult for a woman who´s mother tonngue is Spanish, in over a year ( an intermediate level).
Suppose CW hates languages and is really slow at learning? what are her outstanding achievements in her life? What makes her a good candidate?
Reply With Quote
  #1150  
Old 08-03-2010, 06:44 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,502
Another aspect:
When you live in a French-speaking country (e.g. France and Monaco), you are constantly surrounded by French sounds, French signs, French notices, French music, French greetings, French packaging, French shop windows......French everything.

With the privileges CW has had for at least 4 years, she would also have access to the very best language tuition money could buy.

What has she done with her privileged position as the girlfriend of a billionaire prince ???

Very little, it seems...
Reply With Quote
  #1151  
Old 08-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11
Maybe she just isn't very good at learning another language. Maybe she hasn't been enjoying the lessons or she doesn't like the teacher. Maybe she lacks confidence in herself and her abilities to learn the language because whenever she tries to speak French in interviews people attack her endlessly when we should be encouraging her to keep going. Maybe it will become easier for her if she produces a child and she and Albert speak both French and English. Hopefully her tuition in speaking and learning to understand French will be a lifelong process and ten years down the track we will be marvelling at how well she does speak it.
Reply With Quote
  #1152  
Old 08-05-2010, 07:34 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Another aspect:
When you live in a French-speaking country (e.g. France and Monaco), you are constantly surrounded by French sounds, French signs, French notices, French music, French greetings, French packaging, French shop windows......French everything.

With the privileges CW has had for at least 4 years, she would also have access to the very best language tuition money could buy.

What has she done with her privileged position as the girlfriend of a billionaire prince ???

Very little, it seems...
And?
Just because she has possible access to the best language tuition, does not mean she isn't going to pick it up any easier. The woman might know french perfectly but she is too scared to say anything yet.
Also we keep saying that Charlene should have learnt the language in 4 years, but if she had no support to learn the language, help and guidance from say Albert, she is going to struggle. Maybe Albert told her not to bother learning French in those four years.

And if she did something with that priveliged position of as you mention "a billionaire prince" she would be criticised probably even more for using her contact with the Prince, not doing anything on her own etc.

Charlene apparently doesn't speak French yet, we don't know why, but discussing it endless probably isn't going to change that fact.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #1153  
Old 08-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,502
99 percent of all that we discuss are things we cannot do anything about, but, even so, we are discussing most things endlessly.

That's what forums (or "fora") are for - exchanging differing views.
Reply With Quote
  #1154  
Old 08-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ****, Canada
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
And?
Just because she has possible access to the best language tuition, does not mean she isn't going to pick it up any easier. The woman might know french perfectly but she is too scared to say anything yet.
Also we keep saying that Charlene should have learnt the language in 4 years, but if she had no support to learn the language, help and guidance from say Albert, she is going to struggle. Maybe Albert told her not to bother learning French in those four years.

And if she did something with that priveliged position of as you mention "a billionaire prince" she would be criticised probably even more for using her contact with the Prince, not doing anything on her own etc.

Charlene apparently doesn't speak French yet, we don't know why, but discussing it endless probably isn't going to change that fact.
A lot of people are bi lingual in the world but if CW does not want to ; or cannot I think that is oK as well as most people nowadays speak English to communicate.I have to agree maybe Albert told her not to bother yet.Either way I think it is OK for most people.
Reply With Quote
  #1155  
Old 08-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 1,025
Sometimes reading here is painful. Charlene is not the personality type to be scared. If that were true she wouldn't have taken all the risks she has taken in life thus far.
Reply With Quote
  #1156  
Old 08-05-2010, 03:14 PM
melina premiere's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sassenage, France
Posts: 2,871
hibou, we know you don't like Charlene like others on this board, but what you know about her? what she did last years, my mother lives at Eze near nice a town close to Monaco, I have friends who are monegasque natives, for her she's a nice person who will learn french like Princess did. untill 1965 ten years after his weedding whith Prince Rainier she spoke french with many difficult. I spoke with these friends last days they appreciate Charlene.For them she is a nice person they see in Monaco, who is not proud and who is kind with them whe they meet her
Reply With Quote
  #1157  
Old 08-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,502
Melina, I looked up Sassenage (which I didn't know before), and it must be great to have relatives in Èze. I've passed through it a few times during our trips in PACA.

Great to hear that some people appreciate CW.
Reply With Quote
  #1158  
Old 08-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
hibou, we know you don't like Charlene like others on this board, but what you know about her? what she did last years, my mother lives at Eze near nice a town close to Monaco, I have friends who are monegasque natives, for her she's a nice person who will learn french like Princess did. untill 1965 ten years after his weedding whith Prince Rainier she spoke french with many difficult. I spoke with these friends last days they appreciate Charlene.For them she is a nice person they see in Monaco, who is not proud and who is kind with them whe they meet her
So your friends have met her and talked with her enough to know that she is a nice person or comes across as nice. I don't know Charlene personally and I am not discussing her personally. I am discussing her education, I really wish some of you would go back a few pages and read what has been discussed earlier, had you done so, you would see my position. it's not a question of liking or disliking her personally. She could be very nice. I was discussing her resume etc. As for the French Please I beg you go back and read what has been discussed because it gets really frustrating to have to keep repeating myself. Please please take the time to read my prior statements. You guys just go round and round and round. Now we're back to Grace and her French. Please!!! spare me.
Reply With Quote
  #1159  
Old 08-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,502
Have a little patience, Hibou !
There are umpteen threads about PA/CV on the go.
It's not easy to keep scrolling back across hundreds of pages !!!

This is meant as a leisure activity :-))
Reply With Quote
  #1160  
Old 08-05-2010, 04:33 PM
melina premiere's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sassenage, France
Posts: 2,871
Please spare us your lessons on the education of person you don't know and you see only on the photos,for the persons who know her, she is a nice person .For the other monegasques, they hope she will be a princess who will give an heir to the principaute, who will make prince Albert happy , who will be abble to work for her new country. All that thing, one person can see that now is the prince Albert, for the monegasques, they don't judje, they will wait and see.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
charlene, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene, relationship


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany and Princess Helena of Waldeck-Pyrmont - 1882 Warren Historical Royal Weddings 6 11-02-2016 10:12 PM
Photo Retrospective of the Grimaldi Family - Part VI tbhrc Princely Family of Monaco 399 11-29-2015 08:01 PM
General News & Information: Prince Albert & Princess Charlene 1: July 2011 - Feb.2012 iceflower Current Events Archive 843 03-01-2012 03:38 AM
Prince Albert and Princess Charlene Current Events - Part 1: July 2011- February 2012 iceflower Current Events Archive 740 03-01-2012 03:23 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit british catherine middleton style chris o'neill coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary eveningwear crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events denmark duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles prince nikolaos princess madeleine princess marie princess marie daytime outfit princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:59 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises