The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert, Princess Charlene and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

To say that the Grimaldis are "a shame of European Royalty" is overstating the case considerably.

If one wants to make comparisons, Prince Charles' behaviour is perhaps the most blatant through his behaviour to Diana, and I'm writing this as a citizen of Scotland.

Compared to the Windsors, PA is a raw beginner.

I just wish people wouldn't be so judgemental. Who are we to know what goes on behind closed doors?

Old 04-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Charlene.

She's a very succesful olympic swimmer, so i think she has her own money. I've never heard anthing to suggest that she lives of Albert's money.
You need to catch up on your reading. She has given many interviews where she talks about the fact that the SA swimmers do not have enough money to train and their stipends are small. Her family is middle class. She is not wealthy. There are plenty of indications per her own statements throught the last four years to indicate that Albert is her benefactor. Monaco is very very expensive to live in and she does not have the means to jetset with the rich and famous. In fact very few athletes make millions. Her stint with Armani was a short-term contract to wear his clothes. While this will help her wardrobe, it will not pay the rent. She lives rent free per Albert by her own statement.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Aristocracy

You have right, Hibou. This is the reason that Charlene won't leave PA. Now she has everything she would be stupid to leave this luxury life style. In South Africa she would become nobody without education, job and PA's financial support. So far she has accepted her status, she doesn't want more ( or she won't get more even she wants) By the way it is worth to do it for some time. I really hope that CW knows that it won't last forever. I am curious if she has plans for the future of she lives for her dreams?
Old 04-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibou View Post
You need to catch up on your reading. She has given many interviews where she talks about the fact that the SA swimmers do not have enough money to train and their stipends are small. Her family is middle class. She is not wealthy. There are plenty of indications per her own statements throught the last four years to indicate that Albert is her benefactor. Monaco is very very expensive to live in and she does not have the means to jetset with the rich and famous. In fact very few athletes make millions. Her stint with Armani was a short-term contract to wear his clothes. While this will help her wardrobe, it will not pay the rent. She lives rent free per Albert by her own statement.
I agree with you hibou . It always boils down to the lucre and I am afraid Cw does not have much of her own earnings from anything to be in the league of international citizens who jet set in which she now struts.Cw did not make the stint with Armani go into orbit by something extraordinary she could have brought to it to make it outstanding. and also make her a household name so I am not certain she could make a commercial success of things. That being the case I hope she walks with as many Armanis as she can and that she has made new connections.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Does anyone think Prince Albert is turned off to marriage because of his sisters
faiedl marriages and/or the curse of the Grimaldi family for permanent love?
Not everyone on this earth is cut out to be married. Also, marriage is out of favor with most Europeans. Prince Albert is not married because he does not want be married. If he chooses to marry - he will. I have read interviews where he stated: (I am not quoting him verbatim, just remembering what he said in interviews.)
1) I will never marry a woman that my sisters do not approve of.
2) My wife will be compared to my mother. I do not want to put any woman through that.
3) My relationship with my consort will not be the conventional type.

It looks as if he is just living his life as he wishes. From his birth, so much of his life has been pre-determined by the constitution of Monaco. Maybe his personal life is the only thing that he has complete control over. We all assume that any crown prince or reigning monarch will naturally marry and produce an heir. Well, maybe Prince Albert just feels that he does not have to do this.

Originally Posted by hibou
You need to catch up on your reading. She has given many interviews where she talks about.............

Most likely these interviews are not printed in the USA....any links these interviews? I have never ever read any interviews that she has given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie Cox View Post
In the interview they seem like friends. And Albert...was he nervous or something? He wasn't fluid talking in english, and it's his second language. Although I've watched french interviews of him and it wasn't very fluid either, so I guess he is a bit shy, perhaps?

Prince Albert has given numerous TV interviews here in the states. He always stutters, always. He never speaks with fluidity. It is unfortunate that such a public person is afflicted with stuttering.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:44 AM

A good man

Interesting article in the Telegraph today (UK)
Why Prince Albert is in pole position - Telegraph
I can see what Charlene sees in him here but I do think P. Albert has aspects of Asbergers and he is brave to try and overcome this condition.
Asbergers sufferers are usually incredibly honest too and his views do reflect this.
Put Charlene Wittstock into UTube and there are some lovely pics of her. They would make a good team if Albert can make the change.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post
Originally Posted by hibou
You need to catch up on your reading. She has given many interviews where she talks about.............

Most likely these interviews are not printed in the USA....any links these interviews? I have never ever read any interviews that she has given.
Wow, we're talking four years worth. I'm sure if you go back to some of the old threads on this forum, you will find translations of articles. Mostly she talks to Bunte and sometimes Point de Vue. I'm sure you'll find some.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Courtier

I agree with hibou - If you go back through some of the old threads you'll find translations of interviews Charlene has given. Here's one posted on the forum and I'm sure if you looked you'd find others. Bunte is a particular favourite of hers, and she gave PDV that interview where she said "I confess I have a very privileged life."
Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Courtier

Thanks hibou and Thecia for the info about finding Charlene's interviews - since Princess Grace died, media coverage of the Grimaldi's of Monaco declined sharply. USA media coverage of almost all Euorpean royals is minimal. I don't know why this is, maybe we love our "movie stars" so much that we don't care about princes and princesses. I can't think of any media coverage here about Charlene. Oh well...
Old 04-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecia View Post
I agree with hibou - If you go back through some of the old threads you'll find translations of interviews Charlene has given. Here's one posted on the forum and I'm sure if you looked you'd find others. Bunte is a particular favourite of hers, and she gave PDV that interview where she said "I confess I have a very privileged life."
Of course you do CW, YOU ARE LIVING OFF SOMEONE ELSE MONEY! HELLO!
Old 04-07-2010, 05:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Any chance we could get away from the "money" angle?

The fact is that nobody knows what the state of play is regarding Charlene's earnings or otherwise, and she is highly unlikely to reveal them.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:27 AM
Nobility

No one thinks twice about a husband paying the bills for his wife. Even in the case of something more casual anyone would be thought a jerk if he did not pick up the check for his girlfriend. I would like to see Albert properly married but I also do not want to see any more Grimaldi divorces. I would rather he go on as he is than to get married and then divorce or marry someone else and be seeing Charlene on the side all this time. Mistress seems a very ugly word. Both are unmarried, no one is cheating on anyone else and if they prefer to keep things casual and both are unattached; what is so scandalous about that?

I also certainly do not think the Grimaldis are any worse than anyone else. They have had failed marriages -so have numerous other royals. There have been affairs -they are not the only ones. Albert has illegitimate children. Doesn't the King of Belgium? It is also true that most of the other crowned heads of Europe are much older than Albert and come from a different time with different values. I have my doubts about Charlene but I think it very unfair to call her character into question just because her boyfriend is paying her way. Would many not think Albert a snob if he only dated women who were super-rich? It is his money to spend and his life to live. Do I approve of it all? Is my approval sought or required? Is anyone else's? I don't think so.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks, Bones, for another thought-provoking and considered contribution.

You're right in saying that "mistress" is an ugly word. It never was an ugly word until this century. Before then, it was a dignified word.

I, too, have some doubts about Charlene, but only about her (supposed) lack of education and possibly her lack of "savoir-faire", and not at all about her ability (or otherwise) to add a positive angle to PA's lifestyle.

What seems like ages ago, I wrote about the job title of "Dame d'Honneur" which exists not only in Monaco and Mediterranean countries, but also in German: "Ehrendame".

Often there is more than one such lady, operating a rota system. Monaco has an official one: Madame Gallico (widow of the writer Paul Gallico).
Why can't we think of Charlene as the - so far - unofficial Dame d'Honneur ???
Old 04-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Nobility

People won't understand that word. And the mag called her mistress too.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:06 AM
Courtier

Lady in waiting? Well, she's certainly waiting, that's for sure. I'm not sure if I agree with everyone saying she's no good at all (I believe that everyone has redeeming features. Granted some have fewer than others but I think everyone has them) but something about her just makes me not like her. I think it's instinctual. Not that instincts are the most factual reason for anything. I don't like the word mistress either (from an etymological standpoint the term isn't correct anyway) but Albert has sued people for calling Charlene his girlfriend, hasn't he? And it sounds a little silly to call her "Albert's Friend". What about calling her his companion? That way there's less chance of offending anyone - it's so open to interpretation that it's perfect IMO.
I agree with Bones that the Grimaldis are no worse than others. Everyone makes muddles, it's just they make public muddles. And there's nothing to say that other royals don't make the same mistakes, it just seems that the Grimaldis usually end up public. That's my only bone to pick with them.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
No one thinks twice about a husband paying the bills for his wife. Even in the case of something more casual anyone would be thought a jerk if he did not pick up the check for his girlfriend. I would like to see Albert properly married but I also do not want to see any more Grimaldi divorces. I would rather he go on as he is than to get married and then divorce or marry someone else and be seeing Charlene on the side all this time. Mistress seems a very ugly word. Both are unmarried, no one is cheating on anyone else and if they prefer to keep things casual and both are unattached; what is so scandalous about that?

I also certainly do not think the Grimaldis are any worse than anyone else. They have had failed marriages -so have numerous other royals. There have been affairs -they are not the only ones. Albert has illegitimate children. Doesn't the King of Belgium? It is also true that most of the other crowned heads of Europe are much older than Albert and come from a different time with different values. I have my doubts about Charlene but I think it very unfair to call her character into question just because her boyfriend is paying her way. Would many not think Albert a snob if he only dated women who were super-rich? It is his money to spend and his life to live. Do I approve of it all? Is my approval sought or required? Is anyone else's? I don't think so.

Thank you so very much Bones for this. I have also previoulsy touched on the points that Pa and Cw do not care about approvals and disapprovals and I say ditto to all you write to articulately.Certainly the Grimaldis are the more cosmopolitan of the Royals and do not date and mix with only affluent individuals nor do they seem to give a hoot who is who on the Forbes List... I think we appreciate their egalitarianism and progressiveness and so we follow.
Again thanks for a brillaint summation.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Bones I agree with you.

In the words of Michael Powers they have a good "friendship". Therefore, friend would be appropriate and you aren't likely to go wrong.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post
Not everyone on this earth is cut out to be married. Also, marriage is out of favor with most Europeans. Prince Albert is not married because he does not want be married. If he chooses to marry - he will. I have read interviews where he stated: (I am not quoting him verbatim, just remembering what he said in interviews.)
1) I will never marry a woman that my sisters do not approve of.
2) My wife will be compared to my mother. I do not want to put any woman through that.
3) My relationship with my consort will not be the conventional type.
I think #2 is a copout. Sorry but that's no reason to not get married. So what if she's compared to Grace. I think after she proved herself and people got to know her the comparisons would stop.
And #3 has me thinking what in the world is he talking about?

Also did Albert know about Charlene giving intereviews. Sometimes people make it sound like she practically did it behind his back, but surely she would have discussed it with him first.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Charlene is a free woman. She can give interviews to whoever.

I agree with #2 - for a start, Grace is/was unique. So what if someone compares her to a potential spouse for PA?

#1 - I think the sisters, especially Caroline as the official heir, would be gobsmacked if he got married at all !!
Old 04-14-2010, 06:18 AM
Nobility

I recall reading somewhere that Princess Caroline said she would be thrilled if Albert would marry and put her out of the direct line of succession. She didn't sound like she would be very picky about who he married if it meant that her and her children would be able to avoid the throne (which carries alot of weighty responsibilities and is not all cakes and ale). I would agree that comparisons with Princess Grace is no reason to avoid marriage. Princess Caroline had to deal with it in being forced to fill her mother's shoes and whoever the future Princess consort of Monaco is there are bound to be comparisons to Princess Grace -sooner or later a Prince is going to have to marry anyway.

I'll restate that I would prefer Albert to be married and have a family and I am, myself, very much in favor of the traditional, old fashioned sort of values. However, it is not for me to judge him and it oftem seems to me that he is unfairly criticized for actions which are, when you get down to it, no different than what other royals are doing. Exactly what is it that is so upsetting? It seems people are upset over nothing more substantial than time from what I can see.

Assuming that Albert and Charlene are having a "relationship" without being married...well, Wills and Kate are unmarried and have lived together, so did the Crown Prince and Princess of Norway, so have Princess Madeleine and her fiance. Everyone knew, from all the girlfriends and two children that Albert was not exactly leading the perfectly virtuous life outside of marriage and, again not to cast any stones at Charlene, but considering she's a grown, attractive woman who's been around I would tend to doubt that she was pure as the driven snow before meeting the Prince of Monaco. I don't see why they are to be critcized more than any others. In the past it was all about duty first and securing the succession but from what I have seen, all across Europe, the modern trend is to pursue personal happiness whether royal, princely or common. Albert and Charlene are not hurting anyone, they do not answer to anyone and if they are happy with the way things are why should anyone else bother about it?

Tags
charlene, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene, relationship