Engagement of Prince Albert II to Miss Charlene Wittstock

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't expect any of the British Royal Family to show their faces at this wedding, apart from possibly Edward and Sophie! For some reason the British Royal Family seem to steer clear of all the European Royals. Why, I have no idea maybe more snobbery. Charles attended a few weddings but he looked so uncomfortable and left as quickly as possible afterwards.

I am sure when Grace Kelly married in the 1950's, none of the British Royals attended the wedding. Go figure as they say! I think Charlene looks to be a lovely lady.

Yes, the British royals didn't think much of an actress, and there was much comments about the guest list which included several 'hollywood royals' and not many real ones. But with the idea of a 'morganatic marriage' no longer being inforced, anything goes now. In an earlier time, a figure like Daniel Westling marring a crown princess would have been unheard of. Probably even the marriage of Lady Diana to Prince Charles would have also been seen as unacceptable in earlier times. So, it's all hypocracy.

When did the most recent wedding of a European monarch take place? Who was the most recent European monarch to marry during his/her reign?

(Ignoring the Co-Prince of Andorra, of course ;))

When did the most recent wedding of a European monarch take place? Who was the most recent European monarch to marry during his/her reign?

(Ignoring the Co-Prince of Andorra, of course ;))

The Bishop? :whistling::)

As I know all recent Crown princess and Crown princes married when they weren't rulers of their kingdom or pincipality.It was long time ago when a 'real' ruler married.
Last monarch was Baudouin I of belgian who married Fabiola in 1960. He inherited the throne in 1951.

Congratulation! I'm happy for them.

But I think Wills and Kate should send a "thank you"-letter to Monaco, because Albert and Charlene took a lot of pressure from them. :lol: Now everyone is happy about and busy with this wedding and Wills and Katie have a little more time for their big announcement. Because let's face it: Everyone was expecting those two to be the next royal wedding couple. ;)

I agree, what a suprise for the press, I'm happy for them both. It's time Albert settled down and got married, he has waited until he has found the right girl for him, not the right girl for everyone else:flowers:

As I know all recent Crown princess and Crown princes married when they weren't rulers of their kingdom or pincipality.It was long time ago when a 'real' ruler married.
Last monarch was Baudouin I of belgian who married Fabiola in 1960. He inherited the throne in 1951.

Carl Gustav of Sweden was allready King when he married Silvia in 1976.

I don't think Charlene is an opportunist. I can't even believe she could behave badly or be bitchy etc. Time will tell if she's the right one for Albert and/or Monaco. ;) I wish them all the best!

Jaya if you meant which royals sent telegrams as Lumut said, I am sorry I made the mistake, but it is very annoying that on as forum about royalty some people find it so difficult to understand the difference between a Principality and a Kingdom. Janb has demonstrated this very clearly in her post, and this should be obligatory reading for all those still in doubt on this thread.:flowers:
Yes that is what I meant.

I know Bulgari only through Vogue Magazine ads.;):lol:
Bulgari's son and I cannot remember which one BVLGARI - Magnificent Italian Jewellery and Luxury Goods was the betrothed to Gina Lollobrigida for years-who goes to the Red cRoss ball and was freinds withGrace and the GRimaldis She has many pieces of his- I think if she ver auctioned them she would be in the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Almanach de Gotha is/was a book whose author, a Mr. Ettinger, lived in the town of Gotha and published his book there.

The Russian destroyed the archives in 1944
- so, no more Gotha.

Here's the Wikipedia link to the GOTHA:
Almanach de Gotha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gotha is a town in Thuringia in Germany.

I think that Jaya was asking which royals had sent congratulations to the couple, not that the princely family were royals.

I am sure that is what Jaya meant as well...she seems very bright and well-informed enough to understand the difference.

For the other poster who wanted to know why the Grimaldis are listed in the Gotha...it's because the Almanach de Gotha chronicles not only Royalty but the major ARISTOCRACY of Europe...and this would of course include dukes, duchesses, princes etc.

Hope that is helpful! :flowers:

Unless he got married in spite of his vows, no :D I meant the other Co-Prince of Andorra, the President of France.

So, no European monarch tied the knot during his/her reign since 1960 and this is the first such wedding in Europe in 50 years? :ohmy:

I don't think Charlene is an opportunist. I can't even believe she could behave badly or be bitchy etc. Time will tell if she's the right one for Albert and/or Monaco. ;) I wish them all the best!

No , this is not a perspective. She doesn't behave badly in front of media. She tries to do her best and to gain the public approval .
First of all I mean she had the chance to get to know the (Crown) Prince of Monaco.
In 2001 she was the lucky girl in the crowd who could go out with him. She was in a right place at a right time. I can call it "bless". Somehow she could draw the prince' sattraction. I don't know what was the reason. I don't know her personality. She could use this fact to her advantages. She begun dating him at the right time. ( PA inherited the throne and the public put on him a lot of pressure to marry someone.) A lot of facts helped her to gain this title. That's why some members think Charlene is an opportunist. The fate , destiny, good luck or 'called something else 'gave her a chance for a better life and she could use it!

It seems so...It could be a great headline:flowers:Don't you think? Thanks Kotroman

Is there a picture of Charlene post-engagement? PA went to the jumping show alone. Could it be that Charlene did not want to steal the limelight? There's really been no pictures of her alone and/or with PA since the official engagement photo and announcement were released.

The last event they attended together was the royal wedding.
I was rather annoyed this morning to read in the Daily Express the news that Crown Prince Albert was getting married.

Is Charlene Catholic? Does she have to be in order to marry Prince Albert?

Is Charlene Catholic? Does she have to be in order to marry Prince Albert?
Unless Prince Albert revises what Raineir left in writing the woman he marries must be Catholic.If CW is not then she must take catechism classes I think and go to the Vatican to become literate in the religion as she will raise their children in that religion as Rainer stipulates.
If on the other hand PA decided to break rank he might have a civil service forfeiting the blessings of the church as he is absolute ruler.
I think that if CW is not Catholic she will convert but I really have no idea. My speculation [and pls accept apologies in advance if I am wrong and so incriminiating her] is that Cw is not Catholic and a conversion will be necessary and i think that is what the timefarme is about and that is also what the sober look on Charlene's face in the betrothal photos is about. The work is cut out for her .

No , this is not a perspective. She doesn't behave badly in front of media. She tries to do her best and to gain the public approval .
First of all I mean she had the chance to get to know the (Crown) Prince of Monaco.
In 2001 she was the lucky girl in the crowd who could go out with him. She was in a right place at a right time. I can call it "bless". Somehow she could draw the prince' sattraction. I don't know what was the reason. I don't know her personality. She could use this fact to her advantages. She begun dating him at the right time. ( PA inherited the throne and the public put on him a lot of pressure to marry someone.) A lot of facts helped her to gain this title. That's why some members think Charlene is an opportunist. The fate , destiny, good luck or 'called something else 'gave her a chance for a better life and she could use it!
No such thing as fate and destiny.jmo The authority of chance and the collusion of ratio to random circumstance prevail scientifically speaking otherwise it is Divine Providence. You haveto rememeber that CW stayed away as long as Ranier was alive.She is extermely shrewd as she was not going to ruin her probabilities of of invoking Rainier's disapproval. I wonder why.

:flowers:Why should anyone equate Charlene to Princess Grace?. Please do not underestimate anyone. Princess Diana who appeared on the World Stage as a shy young girl left it as one of the most dynamic women of the Past Century. Catherine the Great Tsarina of Russia. came from a German Hamlet(princess) as a sickly puny young woman and married a Russian heir to the throne even though she was not born a Russian; she became a forceful Russian ruller and is in the history books as a colourful character.
this brings me to Prime Minister Indeira Gandhi; an only timid child who rose to be a powerful Prime Minister in the past century. Mrs. Beltmont, Mrs Roosevelt and hundreds of women once shy, simple and humble have made their mark on this Realm.:) Give Charlene your blessing.

:ohmy:Sharlene does not have to attempt to step into Princess Grace's shoes. Grace's daughters have to do just that hopefully her grand daughters also. For the past years Grace's daughters have certainly made names for themselves. Charlene's Role Model is her own mother. In due course she should be able to create her own Brand of Ideas to Monaco and the world. Wishing her the support of the world peach.

Convertion does not exist. It is an elegant term to state that you don´t really care about religion, and that it won´t be an obstacle to your ambitions.

Convertion does not exist. It is an elegant term to state that you don´t really care about religion, and that it won´t be an obstacle to your ambitions.

No offense, but this is ridiculous. Of course conversion exists, people do it all the time. In order for Prince Albert and Charlene to marry, she must be Catholic. If she loves him and truly wants to marry him, then she'd need to convert if she wasn't already a baptized and confirmed Catholic. Since she converted, there are no current obstacles to their nuptials.

There's nothing wrong with converting from one religion to another in order to marry someone you truly love and want to be with. One of my closest friends converted to Judaism in order to get married and it was a lovely ceremony. She knew that in order to be with him, that's what she'd need to do and she had no problem doing it. Getting married in the temple was something important to him and she understood that.

The idea that doing so means she's opportunistic or she's got "ambitions" is just absolute buffalo chips. I swear, people around here since PA got engaged have lost their ever-lovin' minds.

That is not an accurate description of conversion. Conversion takes place when an individual adopts a new or different set of beliefs. It's not a passive activity, so it would not be appropriate to suggest the individual doesn't care about religion... in fact, it's the opposite.

I think Charlene being compared to Grace is partly her fault.
She started wearing Grace's hairstyles and acting like her and I think because of this she is being more compared to her. I wish she would find herself and realize she doesn't have to fill Grace's role.

I don't think she is copying her. She is beautiful in her own right. Everyone who is elegant is not copying someone else. By the way, sometimes converts have more belief than the original believers.

I think Charlene being compared to Grace is partly her fault.
She started wearing Grace's hairstyles and acting like her and I think because of this she is being more compared to her. I wish she would find herself and realize she doesn't have to fill Grace's role.

I dont understand all these comparisons to Grace and Charlene.

The only features they have in common is that they're both blondes with fair skin.

Grace's memory walks ALONE. What hairstyles is Charlene copying of Grace's?

I think these boards will come tumbling down if Charlene showed up with a braid in her hair;)

How does she act like Grace? Grace was a trained actor- she projected- her personality showed thru-- this is what she carried into her princessdom.

I havent seen this in Charlene..Have you?

I am not defending Charlene, I want to know, can you give us examples/receipts?

I have been following this family for a long time... Charlene does not act or look like HSH Princess Grace de Monaco-- The Icon

Unless he got married in spite of his vows, no :D I meant the other Co-Prince of Andorra, the President of France.

So, no European monarch tied the knot during his/her reign since 1960 and this is the first such wedding in Europe in 50 years? :ohmy:

No. King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden was already king when he married Silvia Sommerlath in 1976.

No offense, but this is ridiculous. Of course conversion exists, people do it all the time. In order for Prince Albert and Charlene to marry, she must be Catholic. If she loves him and truly wants to marry him, then she'd need to convert if she wasn't already a baptized and confirmed Catholic. Since she converted, there are no current obstacles to their nuptials.

There's nothing wrong with converting from one religion to another in order to marry someone you truly love and want to be with. One of my closest friends converted to Judaism in order to get married and it was a lovely ceremony. She knew that in order to be with him, that's what she'd need to do and she had no problem doing it. Getting married in the temple was something important to him and she understood that.

The idea that doing so means she's opportunistic or she's got "ambitions" is just absolute buffalo chips. I swear, people around here since PA got engaged have lost their ever-lovin' minds.
When did Charlene convert because I thought the forum link was for Cp Mary and not Charlene.Pls advise.
many thanks in advance.

When did Charlene convert because I thought the forum link was for Cp Mary and not Charlene.Pls advise.
many thanks in advance.

I haven't the foggiest clue. Someone here said she converted. I haven't seen Mary's name mentioned once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom