The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert, Princess Charlene and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Nobility

I'm not at all surprised it came to this. Charlene is a lovely woman and perfect as next great princess of Monaco. If there is any such thing. I personally find the superficial culture of Monaco vulgar and expect Charlene will make a difference with her softness and natural charm.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Don't forget Grace died in 1982...young people haven't even known her.
So a lot of people won't even make the comparison....and by the way every person is unique and I can't imagine why Charlene would not be extremely popular.
Obviously she knows how to behave in Royal circles, she has already proven it !

Old 06-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timea83 View Post
Hi Jaya. I agree with you. You desrcibe very well CW. It is true that she has a normal background. However she isn't a typically bride like Letizia, Maxima or Mary. She lacks a lot to things. Especially the education.
Of course she can learn and will learn the protocol, French and some necessery knowledge to furfill her duties. I don't envy her because she always wanted to be part of this 'huge buisness'. That is why he has braved
the toughest critisisms. She knew it this her only chance to survive.
Nothing is waiting for her in her home country. Unfortunately she never had income on her own. Maybe she had some money thanksful to her swimming results until 2005. Her job as swimming teacher was occasionally. She has no degree ( she studied some semesters at a college but she didn't finished it), she never had a full time job. She was a quite successful swimmer in her home country but she never was a worldwide acknowlegded athlete. The biggest bless in her life was to meet PA in 2001. She used this oppurtinity to win the sympathy of PA. I don't know that PA loves her but it is sure he likes her. He accepted th facts and situation: he is getting older, he shoud marry to produce legitime heirs
and he finally decided to make this necessery step . Charlene accepted this situation as well she will do her best to furfill her duties. She wanted this position. However she won't be the new Grace. She will be next Princcess Consort of Monaco. Grace is a legend. She doesn't have mistakes, she is a beautiful memory and and can be replaced. Charlene is a woman ,she is human .. she can't complete this facts.

Ps. Maybe I was a little rude, however i think that is my point of view.
I wish them happines. It is sure that Charlene suits PA but she is not who I imagined for this role.
In other words... she's an oportunistic woman and he's a man who doesn't seem to be brave enough to fight for a true love ( if he ever had one ) like his sisters did ( with all the consequences that followed ), like all actual european crown princes did. Blah! They're good for each other...
I'm with you Timea83
Old 06-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Courtier

Why are people losing their marbles over this engagement? People are coming up with rather funny rationale for something that's beyond their control. Here are a few points people are forgetting:

1. Albert and Albert alone can choose a bride
2. Since he cannot marry his own sister, she was bound to take back seat to his wife at some point
3. His mother is dead and not coming back no matter how beautiful she was

Statements such as: "She knew it this her only chance to survive" or "he's a man who doesn't seem to be brave enough to fight for a true love ( if he ever had one )" are not only reaching, but rather dramatic and presumptuous. I don't wish to prevent people from expressing their opinions, but with all due respect, a simple I don't like Charlene and will her give her a vote of no confidence would do. Apologies if I sound too preachy.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Lighthouse, I agree with your comment about Monaco as a superficial place.

The Monegasques are, on the whole, "normal" people, but the glitterati and the super-rich will probalby not give a fig for Charlene, and perhaps even PA, despite all the right noises (and deeds) he makes in their favour.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
If the Grimaldis aren't royalty why are they listed as such in the Gotha? I thought that was supposed to be the definitive guide on european royalty and has been around for centuries.
One can use the term royalty in a loose manner, simply as anyone who is an aristocrat, or more closely as those who have a ranking of "highness". However, the most specific use of the term relates to the family members connected to a kingdom and king. Monaco is a principality, not a kingdom, and Monaco's family is a princely family not a royal family. Albert is of Serene Highness, not Royal Highness.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
If the Grimaldis aren't royalty why are they listed as such in the Gotha? I thought that was supposed to be the definitive guide on european royalty and has been around for centuries.
Unless I am mistaken they are listed as a families which have held hereditary sovereign status, and they are. Gotha do not differe between Royal houses and other with sovereign status as the princely family of Monaco,Grimaldi.
A sure sign if a familly is royal or not is to check if the rulling member of it is a King or Queen Regent, if so they are royal otehrwsie they are not.

Queen Elisbeth II
King Carl XVI Gustaf
Prince Albert II
can you se the pattern?
Old 06-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Courtier

Don't expect any of the British Royal Family to show their faces at this wedding, apart from possibly Edward and Sophie! For some reason the British Royal Family seem to steer clear of all the European Royals. Why, I have no idea maybe more snobbery. Charles attended a few weddings but he looked so uncomfortable and left as quickly as possible afterwards.

I am sure when Grace Kelly married in the 1950's, none of the British Royals attended the wedding. Go figure as they say! I think Charlene looks to be a lovely lady.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Aristocracy

The gotha does makes distinctions, such as sovereign houses and mediatized houses, but I think the real issue that people are concerned about is that Albert is not "His Royal Highness" and the Grimaldi are not addressed as "The Royal Family of Monaco". Albert is "His Serene Highness" and they are "The Princely Family of Monaco". The adjective royal, in the most specific and definitive sense, means of or relating to a king, as would imperial imply of or relating to an emperor.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Might we know who sent congatulatory telegarams or or e-mails to Charlene and Albert?How is that done these days.? which royals.?

Jaya if you meant which royals sent telegrams as Lumut said, I am sorry I made the mistake, but it is very annoying that on as forum about royalty some people find it so difficult to understand the difference between a Principality and a Kingdom. Janb has demonstrated this very clearly in her post, and this should be obligatory reading for all those still in doubt on this thread.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
Don't expect any of the British Royal Family to show their faces at this wedding, apart from possibly Edward and Sophie! For some reason the British Royal Family seem to steer clear of all the European Royals. Why, I have no idea maybe more snobbery. Charles attended a few weddings but he looked so uncomfortable and left as quickly as possible afterwards.

I am sure when Grace Kelly married in the 1950's, none of the British Royals attended the wedding. Go figure as they say! I think Charlene looks to be a lovely lady.
Yes, the British royals didn't think much of an actress, and there was much comments about the guest list which included several 'hollywood royals' and not many real ones. But with the idea of a 'morganatic marriage' no longer being inforced, anything goes now. In an earlier time, a figure like Daniel Westling marring a crown princess would have been unheard of. Probably even the marriage of Lady Diana to Prince Charles would have also been seen as unacceptable in earlier times. So, it's all hypocracy.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Nobility

When did the most recent wedding of a European monarch take place? Who was the most recent European monarch to marry during his/her reign?

(Ignoring the Co-Prince of Andorra, of course )
Old 06-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
When did the most recent wedding of a European monarch take place? Who was the most recent European monarch to marry during his/her reign?

(Ignoring the Co-Prince of Andorra, of course )
The Bishop?
Old 06-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
The Bishop?
As I know all recent Crown princess and Crown princes married when they weren't rulers of their kingdom or pincipality.It was long time ago when a 'real' ruler married.
Last monarch was Baudouin I of belgian who married Fabiola in 1960. He inherited the throne in 1951.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
Congratulation! I'm happy for them.

But I think Wills and Kate should send a "thank you"-letter to Monaco, because Albert and Charlene took a lot of pressure from them. Now everyone is happy about and busy with this wedding and Wills and Katie have a little more time for their big announcement. Because let's face it: Everyone was expecting those two to be the next royal wedding couple.
I agree, what a suprise for the press, I'm happy for them both. It's time Albert settled down and got married, he has waited until he has found the right girl for him, not the right girl for everyone else
Old 06-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timea83 View Post
As I know all recent Crown princess and Crown princes married when they weren't rulers of their kingdom or pincipality.It was long time ago when a 'real' ruler married.
Last monarch was Baudouin I of belgian who married Fabiola in 1960. He inherited the throne in 1951.
Carl Gustav of Sweden was allready King when he married Silvia in 1976.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The Bishop?
Nicolas Sarkozy of course :-)
Old 06-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think Charlene is an opportunist. I can't even believe she could behave badly or be bitchy etc. Time will tell if she's the right one for Albert and/or Monaco. I wish them all the best!
Old 06-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Jaya if you meant which royals sent telegrams as Lumut said, I am sorry I made the mistake, but it is very annoying that on as forum about royalty some people find it so difficult to understand the difference between a Principality and a Kingdom. Janb has demonstrated this very clearly in her post, and this should be obligatory reading for all those still in doubt on this thread.
Yes that is what I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I know Bulgari only through Vogue Magazine ads.
Bulgari's son and I cannot remember which one BVLGARI - Magnificent Italian Jewellery and Luxury Goods was the betrothed to Gina Lollobrigida for years-who goes to the Red cRoss ball and was freinds withGrace and the GRimaldis She has many pieces of his- I think if she ver auctioned them she would be in the money.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent

The Almanach de Gotha is/was a book whose author, a Mr. Ettinger, lived in the town of Gotha and published his book there.

The Russian destroyed the archives in 1944
- so, no more Gotha.

Here's the Wikipedia link to the GOTHA:
Almanach de Gotha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gotha is a town in Thuringia in Germany.

Tags
engagement, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene