The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert and Princess Charlene

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellad View Post
Congratulations to Pr Albert and Charlene Wittstock. Another royal wedding to look forward to. He did the gentlemanly thing and asked her parents' permission while they were in South Africa for the opening of the World Cup.

The pics of Albert, Caroline and Alexandra were not in celebration of the engagement but it was an official event they attended together. It's sad that some of the posters cannot wish this couple well and already see doom and gloom. If you are upset about this match, don't like the lady then kindly stay away from this thread.
According to "People" mag, Albert called Charlene parent's on Tuesday, a day before engagement and by phone asked her dad for permission to marry her.
Charlene's father told it in interview with another mag, the Star;
Prince Albert Sets the Date for His Wedding - Engagements, Prince Albert : People.com

No, I don't think it is gentlemanly to ask a father for permission by phone, especially that Albert was in South Africa just week ago. And asking just a night before official announcement. It is all strange and not too polite, IMO.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 06-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well about time! For a while I thought he wasn't going to get married at all. I'm not a fan of Charlene but I think she suits him. I hope she will be a good wife and Albert a good husband. I also hope she will be kind step-mother to Jazmin and Alexandre they will be a part of her family now.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi View Post
According to "People" mag, Albert called Charlene parent's on Tuesday, a day before engagement and by phone asked her dad for permission to marry her.
Charlene's father told it in interview with another mag, the Star;
Prince Albert Sets the Date for His Wedding - Engagements, Prince Albert : People.com

No, I don't think it is gentlemanly to ask a father for permission by phone, especially that Albert was in South Africa just week ago. And asking just a night before official announcement. It is all strange and not too polite, IMO.
I'm curious why Charlene was not interviewed with Albert by Nice-Matin.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's sort of odd all this. They have this engagement, and as rarotonga says, i'm curious too why Charlene wasn't interviewed with Albert too. Maybe they will have the interview later, together, i hope.
I mean, Daniel and Victoria had one, Joachim and Marie had one too...and they don't.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie Cox View Post
It's sort of odd all this. They have this engagement, and as rarotonga says, i'm curious too why Charlene wasn't interviewed with Albert too. Maybe they will have the interview later, together, i hope.
I mean, Daniel and Victoria had one, Joachim and Marie had one too...and they don't.
Another thing that makes me what to go hmmmm is why the rather impersonal telephone call to Daddy Wittstock (directly quoted from him on The Star, a South African paper) to ask for his only daughter's hand in marriage when PA was in SA only a few days before? PA could have flown in Mommy and Daddy Wittstock to Johannesburg when he was attending the World Cup? Unless he did it backwards - proposed first before asking for Daddy Wittstock's permission?
Old 06-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Aristocracy

I think this whole marriage thing was a second thought. I feel that If Albert truly wanted to marry Charlene, he would hae made it his business to visit her parents while they were in South Africa. This whole thing seem planned by his advisers. I do not think that love has anything to do with it. This is sounding to much like a replay of Charles and Diana.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Sorry, Charlene is beautiful, even young Camilla was no beauty.
My thoughts exactly. Charlene is very pretty; Camilla has never been good-looking.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Aristocracy

And there could be another theory; during Princess Victoria's Wedding Charlene looked sad, on returning home she could have given PA an ULTIMATUM!! it is your guess.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Serene Highness

One more thing, some say here that there is a law that says that wedding has to take place at least 6 months after engagement. I don't think it's a law, rather a custom. In many catholic parishes (mine for example) priests require 6 months waiting, but it all depends.
Albert and Charlene could even marry next moth if wanted, but they waited so long to say anything official about their relationship that I am not surprised marriage will be longer wait, meaning summer 2011. The real surprise is only the manner their engagement was announced and of course the engagement itself.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 06-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I agree Jaya....I thought it was a lovely dress.

Let's face it there are people who for whatever reason is never going to like Charlene. And that is certainly their right but this looking for perceived slights (i.e. style of dress, lack of public interview, etc.) is getting rather tiresome.

I mean, people said the same thing about Mette Marit. Remember her? The Crown Princess of Norway? Now, I don't follow the NRF on a regular, but from what I can see other than a couple of incidents (early in the marriage) Mette Marit has handled herself with discretion, dignity and is an asset to the NRF and her nation. And if I recall, a lot of people (including Haakon's aunt) thought MM and Ari would destroy the Norwegian monarchy and that hasn't happened.

And if Caroline had really wanted to rule Monaco, I am sure Rainier could have attempted to change the succession laws. I think she will be glad not to be the First Lady of Monaco, and I suspect you will only see Stephanie at three or four events when Albert marries. I am thinking Circus, Rose/Red Ball, National Day and Christmas.
Zonk , thanks for that . We have come a long way. Always but always they see Charlene as some kind of interloper.Charlene has no divorces ; she seems to come from a good family; has never wanted for anything; is not a windswept with all this and that materiality;is a good daughter who took a chance for love;she has no known criminal record; no children hiding under the apple tree;no scandals hounding her except the resentment that she is some kind of interloper on Grace's territory which is Monaco.She has braved the toughest criticisms; and come out with Albert's heart.Maybe she is not Jackie O culturally but perhaps with time she can and will learn.God love ya Charlene ... time to set the example and for us to see what the Prince sees in you.
As for Caro I think she has had a full life and I think that she step aside a bit and let her brother have one which I think she will do easily ; albeit I think she will be patron of the arts on several things still and be included along with Stephanie.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarotonga View Post
Another thing that makes me what to go hmmmm is why the rather impersonal telephone call to Daddy Wittstock (directly quoted from him on The Star, a South African paper) to ask for his only daughter's hand in marriage when PA was in SA only a few days before? PA could have flown in Mommy and Daddy Wittstock to Johannesburg when he was attending the World Cup? Unless he did it backwards - proposed first before asking for Daddy Wittstock's permission?
I think PA doesn't care for Wittstock family. He wasn't interested where Charlene comes from. I have never heard that the prince has ever met
CW's parents. So I really believe he has called them a couple of times.
CW's parent are simple hard working people. According to the facts PA keeps himself far away from them. He had a lot of oppurtunities to meet them and he missed all of them.
He only knows brothers of her future bride.
That is the reason he asked Michael Wittstock's permission only one day before the official engagement to marry her daughter. If he would respect his future father- in- law he ought to have visited him personally to pop this question in Wittstock's house. I really think they will meet at very first time next summer.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Heir Apparent

I had the same thought when I saw Repossi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Aha...Repossi! They are the ones who designed that godawful bauble that Dodi al-Fayed allegedly purchased for the Princess of Wales with the intention of proposing to her the night of their ill-fated trip to Paris...
Old 06-25-2010, 12:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timea83 View Post
I think PA doesn't care for Wittstock family. He wasn't interested where Charlene comes from. I have never heard that the prince has ever met
CW's parents. So I really believe he has called them a couple of times.
CW's parent are simple hard working people. According to the facts PA keeps himself far away from them. He had a lot of oppurtunities to meet them and he missed all of them.
He only knows brothers of her future bride.
That is the reason he asked Michael Wittstock's permission only one day before the official engagement to marry her daughter. If he would respect his future father- in- law he ought to have visited him personally to pop this question in Wittstock's house. I really think they will meet at very first time next summer.
Prince Charles called Lord Spencer to ask for the hand of Lady Diana and did not visit in person. Pa knows her brothers well enough
I think he knows her parents too. and he is discreet enough not to divulge it.If he has not visited their humble abode then so be it; he is not asking for a dowry in person is he? Perhaps he is nervous and he wants to avoid overloading himself. Step by step things all work out. Farah Dibah's's mother is the only parent I can think of that made the Shah of Iran come to her door and home and ask for Farah's hand otherwise she said I will veto you and the proposal of marriage.The rest is history.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes. Mathilde was an aristocrat, a well-mannered young lady who was a speech therapist (which perhaps meant that she worked a good deal with children). So she was a pretty, aristocratic woman who loved children. Remind you of anyone?

The current crop of Crown Princesses seem to be doing quite well considering their early controversies. I expect that the same will be true of Charlene. Prince Albert spoke in an interview about how she's been learning French and that she's sensitive and has humanitarian interests particularly with children. That sounds like good princess material to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
The only person who managed to escape it somewhat was Mathilde.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I had the same thought when I saw Repossi.
That Repossi is a big ring rock and a glittery one kinda Elvis glitter- I prefer Bulgari myself. just plain bands with the other's name and date engraved inside.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Zonk , thanks for that . We have come a long way. Always but always they see Charlene as some kind of interloper.Charlene has no divorces ; she seems to come from a good family; has never wanted for anything; is not a windswept with all this and that materiality;is a good daughter who took a chance for love;she has no known criminal record; no children hiding under the apple tree;no scandals hounding her except the resentment that she is some kind of interloper on Grace's territory which is Monaco.She has braved the toughest criticisms; and come out a with Albert's heart.Maybe she is not Jackie O culturally but perhaps with time she can and will learn.God love ya Charlene ... time to set the example and for us to see what the Prince sees in you.
As for Caro I think she has had a full life and I think that she step aside a bit and let her brother have one which I think she will do easily ; albeit I think she will be patron of the arts on several things still and be included along with Stephanie.
Hi Jaya. I agree with you. You desrcibe very well CW. It is true that she has a normal background. However she isn't a typically bride like Letizia, Maxima or Mary. She lacks a lot to things. Especially the education.
Of course she can learn and will learn the protocol, French and some necessery knowledge to furfill her duties. I don't envy her because she always wanted to be part of this 'huge buisness'. That is why he has braved
the toughest critisisms. She knew it this her only chance to survive.
Nothing is waiting for her in her home country. Unfortunately she never had income on her own. Maybe she had some money thanksful to her swimming results until 2005. Her job as swimming teacher was occasionally. She has no degree ( she studied some semesters at a college but she didn't finished it), she never had a full time job. She was a quite successful swimmer in her home country but she never was a worldwide acknowlegded athlete. The biggest bless in her life was to meet PA in 2001. She used this oppurtinity to win the sympathy of PA. I don't know that PA loves her but it is sure he likes her. He accepted th facts and situation: he is getting older, he shoud marry to produce legitime heirs
and he finally decided to make this necessery step . Charlene accepted this situation as well she will do her best to furfill her duties. She wanted this position. However she won't be the new Grace. She will be next Princcess Consort of Monaco. Grace is a legend. She doesn't have mistakes, she is a beautiful memory and and can be replaced. Charlene is a woman ,she is human .. she can't complete this facts.

Ps. Maybe I was a little rude, however i think that is my point of view.
I wish them happines. It is sure that Charlene suits PA but she is not who I imagined for this role.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps she's not yet comfortable enough in French to do an interview in the language. An interview isn't a normal conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie Cox View Post
It's sort of odd all this. They have this engagement, and as rarotonga says, i'm curious too why Charlene wasn't interviewed with Albert too.
I know Bulgari only through Vogue Magazine ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
That Repossi is a big ring rock and a glittery one kinda Elvis glitter- I prefer Bulgari myself. just plain bands with the other's name and date engraved inside.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:34 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Perhaps she's not yet comfortable enough in French to do an interview in the language. An interview isn't a normal conversation.
It is not an obstacle. She can speak English as well. Princess Mary did it at her engagement. By this time she didn't speak Danish as well.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Didn't they do an interview together when they were in Vancouver up at their lodge at Whistler I coulda sworn for the life of me they did.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Do you remember whether it was in French or in English?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Didn't they do an interview together when they were in Vancouver up at their lodge at Whistler I coulda sworn for the life of me they did.

Tags
engagement, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene