The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert and Princess Charlene

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Courtier

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
I had sort of been wondering what was in the works here. Mostly, I have been wondering because there seemed to have been no effort to bring Caroline's son Andrea, the presumed heir after Caroline, into the business of the family firm. At his age, it would be about time to being preparing him for his role (and starting with a decent haircut, IMO.)

However, it now seems apparent that this was a slow but steady progression on the part of Albert and the government to pave the way for a natural born heir of Albert to come into the situation. To have married in haste right after his father's death would have been unseemly, especially since it coincided with the revelation that Albert had fathered another illegitimate child. Since Charlene and Albert were dating at the time that the child was born, it would seem to me that Charlene might have cause for pause in moving forward with a relationship. It may have been that the confluence of those events caused a serious re-evaluation of "who and what are we," and the decision was reached that it (marriage) was a goal to work toward. The time for dilantante-ish-ness was past.

This appears to me to be a serious, well-thought-out situation in which the first rush of romance and fairytales have given way to sincere partnering. Given how much polish Charlene has gained over the past three years in particular, it seems that both of them are putting their best foot forward. Clearly, she has seen the best and the worst of times with Albert, and he has been able to observe whether she can adapt to situations or if she has no growth or maturity apparent.

It's a rational decision by two people who have seen life in many forms and have decided that together is better than apart.

Good for them both, I say.

This is quite a good and detailed observation. After reading it I can only confirm. I wish both of them all the best though I am not that big of a Charlene fan and can't see in her what others may see. I am having difficulties to see the discover the princess in her but on the other side she has just stepped in into royal world and has time to adjust to her new role. But all in all I am happy that we gonna have another high profile royal wedding after the wonderful event in Sweden.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree with Casiraghi Trio. Whatever happens, Caroline will continue to work on her projects, like the Prince Pierre Foundation, and much more.

If anything, I suspect she will have more time for her children, especially Alexandra, and it may come as a relief to her not to have to turn out for quite so many functions.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
There's a further engagement photo on the Nice Matin web site (pic 2) - but it doesn't show the ring.

Nice Matin
Is it just me or does this picture somehow remind you to the famous Lady Diana picture taken in the kindergarten? From what I can see the future princess of Monaco has great legs
Old 06-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Commoner

Red face When?

Prince Albert gave an interview to Nice Matin.

The wedding will take place next summer ( 2011).
Old 06-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
I live here and know that the "Kelly-Grimaldi" family is widely covered ... even if someone sneezes.
So are you saying because the engagement was on page 8 or 9, the city of Philadephia does not rate the engagement as important? My point is, there are a lot of things going on that might be a little more news worthy than Albert and Charlene's engagement, thus the appearance of the announcement on page 8 or 9.

So you are from Philadelphia, and the Kelly Grimaldis are still covered. Great. I guess I am confused, by your earlier statement "Because Philadelphians see right through the shallowness of this match" are referring to the location of the announcement? What does that have to do with anything?

Old 06-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuedePhiladelphia View Post
Caroline knew from a early age this was bound to happen. Caroline will not be pushed aside her status is written in stone in Monaco. I hope she will become a mentor to the new future princess.

I think the engagement announcement is a bit weird. They did everything backwards. CW has already been " presented " in Monaco society. She already traveled abroad with PA to official events. She has been featured on magazine covers its almost like they have already been married that is why I think that there wasnt no media blitz for the announcement. In Philadelphia I havent even heard it being mentioned.

Since they put all protocol aside anyway they could get married next month if they wanted to
I am thinking that as the wedding draws nearer we will see some sort of sit down interview with the Prince and his fiancee...at least I hope.

I fully expect this engagement to receive saturation coverage in magazines such as Paris Match and especially Point de Vue...the latter has become extremely pro-Charlene and has been beating the drum for this engagement for years.

Perhaps Charlene will appear on the balcony with the Princely family for the Fete Nationale on Nov19th...and this will be her semi-official "presentation" to the Monegasques...who for the most part seem delighted about this.

I do love the manner in which Royal fiancees are presented in Belgium...the young lady is taken to each of the nine provinces that comprise the Kingdom and is formally and joyfully received by the people.("Joyeuses Entrees)

I do agree with you that it is ODD that Princess Grace's hometown is not covering this at all....
Old 06-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
Is it just me or does this picture somehow remind you to the famous Lady Diana picture taken in the kindergarten? From what I can see the future princess of Monaco has great legs
OMG! She didn't even wear an appropriate dress for her engagement picture
Old 06-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Aristocracy

Well its been a long time since Grace was in Philly. Times have changed and perhaps they simply don't hold it up as important as they would when it was Grace's time.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
For once I think you are wrong. The dress was modern the colour becoming and Charlene was impeccably groomed.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

It would be nice to see her on the balcony with the family on Nov19th. I hope she'll be there. I can imagine her and Albert in the balcony
Old 06-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Some of PA's subjects reacted somewhat prosaically:

Edith Wendebaum runs a wine shop in Monte Carlo: "This will be great for champagne sales!".

Seriously, though, his wedding will be good for the Principality's economy.

The following link from Suite101 surmises that "this engagement news is meant to take attention off taxation and economic policy changes " in Monaco.

Prince Albert of Monaco Engaged to Charlene Wittstock

I can't see it myself. PA and his government have been extremely transparent about their efforts to keep Monaco as a successful nation.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
I agree with Casiraghi Trio. Whatever happens, Caroline will continue to work on her projects, like the Prince Pierre Foundation, and much more.

If anything, I suspect she will have more time for her children, especially Alexandra, and it may come as a relief to her not to have to turn out for quite so many functions.
I cannot imagine Princess Caroline having to hand over duties in certain charities (AMADE, for example) - it would be better for Charlene to become involved in charities close to her heart - build her own presence instead of in the shadows of her siblings-in-law.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It is summertime in the Principality. Albert and Charlene are being photographed in the beautiful gardens of the Palais Princier...why not wear a lovely halter gown/dress that not only meshes well with the foliage in the background, but also reflects one's lovely blue eyes and yes...one's magnificent shoulders as well?

I think it's a great engagement photo, and that Charlene looks incredibly beautiful in it.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
For once I think you are wrong. The dress was modern the colour becoming and Charlene was impeccably groomed.
I agree Jaya....I thought it was a lovely dress.

Let's face it there are people who for whatever reason is never going to like Charlene. And that is certainly their right but this looking for perceived slights (i.e. style of dress, lack of public interview, etc.) is getting rather tiresome.

I mean, people said the same thing about Mette Marit. Remember her? The Crown Princess of Norway? Now, I don't follow the NRF on a regular, but from what I can see other than a couple of incidents (early in the marriage) Mette Marit has handled herself with discretion, dignity and is an asset to the NRF and her nation. And if I recall, a lot of people (including Haakon's aunt) thought MM and Ari would destroy the Norwegian monarchy and that hasn't happened.

And if Caroline had really wanted to rule Monaco, I am sure Rainier could have attempted to change the succession laws. I think she will be glad not to be the First Lady of Monaco, and I suspect you will only see Stephanie at three or four events when Albert marries. I am thinking Circus, Rose/Red Ball, National Day and Christmas.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I thought the engagement dress was lovely.

Re-reading the article from the DailyMail. Just before you click on the link it has a little summary and it says
"Monaco gets a new Grace Kelly"
I think is really unfair.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Royal Highness

The more I look at that ring, the more a think it's a little too big. It makes me wonder what he's try to hide/buy.......
Old 06-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Honestly, I would NOT trade places with Charlene or Kate/Chelsy (or whoever the British Princes marry). Despite the money, the jewels and the luxury that you have, and a life in the public eye...who would want to be CONSTANTLY compared to Grace and Diana?!

Its a hard measuring up to an icon (even those who acknowledged faults).

Old 06-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Those comparisons will never end, poor Charlene. Charlene is Charlene, and Grace is Grace. But the press will continue, now more than ever with those comparisons...
Btw, I also like her engagement dress, i don't see anything wrong with it, i even loved the colour, it looked lovely on her.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Honestly, I would NOT trade places with Charlene or Kate/Chelsy (or whoever the British Princes marry). Despite the money, the jewels and the luxury that you have, and a life in the public eye...who would want to be CONSTANTLY compared to Grace and Diana?!

Its a hard measuring up to an icon (even those who acknowledged faults).
To be quite honest I would prefer to marry Frederik/Haakon, if they weren't already married.
Their countries are a lot quieter on the press front, and they look a lot more handsome.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
To be quite honest I would prefer to marry Frederik/Haakon, if they weren't already married.
Their countries are a lot quieter on the press front, and they look a lot more handsome.
Yes indeed. I was looking at Haakon at the Swedish wedding. He was a cute young man, but he has a handsome gentleman. He is definitely aging well. Plus, with all due respect to Sonja and Margethe, their wives definitely didn't have the same pressure as whoever will marry William/Harry/Albert.

Tags
engagement, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene