The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, that sounds much better - it's what sports personalities tend to do.

They use some of their free time to do some real training, usually with disadvantaged kids and/or adults, and in return they get favourable media exposure.

I bet the system has been running that way since the Olympics in Ancient Greece....

Old 08-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Serene Highness

I wish the Palace would post a resume, not only of Charlene, but also of the Casiraghis. I understand their wanting privacy, but this is basic stuff and would stop alot of gossip about flunking out of schools,etc.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

What's the difference. They are not interviewing for jobs, and, frankly, it is no one else business.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Yes, that sounds much better - it's what sports personalities tend to do.

They use some of their free time to do some real training, usually with disadvantaged kids and/or adults, and in return they get favourable media exposure.

I bet the system has been running that way since the Olympics in Ancient Greece....
The Ancient Greek system demanded excellence both in the body and the mind and put the two together.One could not be an OLympian if one of the two was missing- this is a lost aspect of what the ideal was and has been subject to revisionsism. Mind you I cannot see how the philosophers could train and I cannot see how the athletes could sit at a Symposium.
You had to be both without detriment to either.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Youth worker, well that clears everything up. As to arguing about it, it would have to be a more interesting subject to get me to that point. So far I find the whole subject boring but I was just interested to know how a thread could be about what seemed to be an inexistent subject, now that the name has been changed to include "and swimming career" it seems much better.
Charlene's educational achievements or lack of them have led to some lengthy discussions in other threads as Iceflower previously mentioned.

I think the issues regarding Charlene's education has been the confusion surrounding it. It has been reported that she is a high school and yet not a high school graduate. That she attended the University of Pretoria or just swam for its swim club.

Personally (and I say this as a college graduate) I don't have a problem with Charlene just being a high school graduate or a high school drop out as long as SHE is doing something with it (i.e. getting her GED). That would include letting people know that as a high school graduate or drop out she learned this or she regretted that or how its affected her post life (i.e. limited her ability to get a decent job. Please NO SNICKERS). Its worth noting that a lot of famous and well known people didn't graduate high school.

That being said, my whole issue with the education thing is the way the Princely House of Monaco (or the PR department) has handled. And I think we can agree that they could have done a better job...maybe its the same PR firm working for the Swedish Royal House???

There is nothing wrong in saying that Charlene didn't graduate high school because she focused on her swimming career. That is very common for a lot swimming athletes. They sometimes finish their educational careers after they are no longer swiming competitively.

I am hoping that this thread will answer the educational quesitons once and for all.

Well that is probably hoping too much...at least for a while.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
I wish the Palace would post a resume, not only of Charlene, but also of the Casiraghis. I understand their wanting privacy, but this is basic stuff and would stop alot of gossip about flunking out of schools,etc.
Charlene is not really accountable to anyone except PA is she? Asking for her resume is a bit much indeed.I understand CW has not finished high school and maybe never worked either but that is not my isssue at all and will probably not affect her now.When and if she feels theneed she may want to tell how it impacted her life but until then we are beating a dead horse to death.
I think we can clear the decks up once and for all that Charlene the athlete is not a Grace clone because Grace was not athletic at all and or in the least..as her dad said of her.She was no a sports enthusiast either. Instead was her sister Peggy that was the athlete and that is who CW has a vague resembalnce to.. imo
Old 08-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
What's the difference. They are not interviewing for jobs, and, frankly, it is no one else business.
Well it is everybody's business since CW is a public and now famous figure. But since they have been silent maybe we should use our discretion too. I hope Charlene works with older citizens as the world now has the first of the baby boomers coming into their pensions.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I think the issues regarding Charlene's education has been the confusion surrounding it.

That being said, my whole issue with the education thing is the way the Princely House of Monaco (or the PR department) has handled.
I agree, Zonk. If there had been full disclosure by the Princely House of Monaco from the beginning, this issue would not have become an issue.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Serene Highness

Charlene is a high school dropout, by her own words in Paris Match interview in 2006, she stopped going to school when 17. She told in that interview that grades were never important for her but she was concentrated on her swimming career.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 08-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Heir Apparent

It depends how you interpret her comments about her schooling.

PA had his Philadelphia relatives as sportspersons whom he could emulate.

CW has her mother as someone to emulate and admire (for her diving).

It's another thing the two have in common - two family histories in which sport played a very large role. This is how they came together, and this is what will keep them together, I think.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

At least we know she was truely dedicated to her swimming, her dedication is impressive.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Dedication is the key word here:

PA persevered Olympics after Olympics, even though his team's chances were slim.

CW persevered and gained some titles, but had to stop competing in the end.

Something else that they have in common.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi View Post
Charlene is a high school dropout, by her own words in Paris Match interview in 2006, she stopped going to school when 17. She told in that interview that grades were never important for her but she was concentrated on her swimming career.
And in that sense, she is no different from many elite athletes. A lot of swimmers, gymnast, and ice skaters (to name just a few sports) place more of an emphasis on their sports career (especially since they have a small window) rather than their education. I believe a lot of them believe that receiving an education is something they can go back to, whereas the shelf life of a swimmer, gymnast and/or ice skater is very slim. For every Katrina Witt, Michelle Kwan, Dominque Dawes, Michael Phelps (Olympians whose careers spanned two Olympics) there are more athletes who had one Olympics to acheive their goals.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I remember the remark by CW that 2008 would be / would have been her last Olympics. Her swimming seemed to have spanned two and a half Olympics - Am I right??

It must have been hard for her to recognise that she was no longer able to be a competitor, either in her home country or in the Olympics.......whereas PA probably took it for granted that Little Monaco was never likely to walk away with a medal.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Yes, I remember the remark by CW that 2008 would be / would have been her last Olympics. Her swimming seemed to have spanned two and a half Olympics - Am I right??

It must have been hard for her to recognise that she was no longer able to be a competitor, either in her home country or in the Olympics.......whereas PA probably took it for granted that Little Monaco was never likely to walk away with a medal.
According to Rocco Meiring she missed the 2004 Olympic A qualifying time with a few split seconds for 100m Backstroke, at the South African trials. That would mean she was only qualified for and was at the Sydney Olympics in 2000 she never qualified after that.

I did do a little checking last night and wasn't able to find her on alumni list nor did I locate her brothers. I do know at 17 she left home to swim in Durban for the Seagulls. I haven't located an article that has her quoted as dropping out of school. Her first interview that had such information has been removed from the Internet as a few others I have looked for.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Well it is everybody's business since CW is a public and now famous figure. But since they have been silent maybe we should use our discretion too. I hope Charlene works with older citizens as the world now has the first of the baby boomers coming into their pensions.
What's Camilla's educational background and work record? What is Marie-Chantal's educational background and work record? I, really don't care, but they are, also, public figures and in the long run, no one cares. Grace didn't have a college degree, either. She was an actress. To some not a reputable occupation. Some questioned at the time she married Ranier, but that was their business.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Serene Highness

In the US, you go to high school until age 18 and then graduate (ideally), find a job or go to university. Isn't it different in Europe and maybe S. Africa? I got the idea that only the top students continued on to age 18. The rest started apprenticing at various jobs at around age 16. Can a European explain how your system works? Does anyone know how the S. African school system works? This might explain some of the confusion on Charlene's education.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
In the US, you go to high school until age 18 and then graduate (ideally), find a job or go to university. Isn't it different in Europe and maybe S. Africa? I got the idea that only the top students continued on to age 18. The rest started apprenticing at various jobs at around age 16. Can a European explain how your system works? Does anyone know how the S. African school system works? This might explain some of the confusion on Charlene's education.
It's pretty much the same all over, except that some kids take a gap year between high school and college. Chelsey Davey is from SA. She got her university degree in SA Capetown I think. In the US we have grades, in other countries they have levels. It's similar in nature all over. It is well documented that Charlene did not go to college. It's debated as to whether or not she got her high school diploma or just dropped out to swim. It would be helpful if the palace would clarify that she graduated from high school. May be some one here on the forum could find out from her high school whether or not she has her diploma.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Education in South Africa.
Quote:
Three bands of education
South Africa's National Qualifications Framework (NQF) recognises three broad bands of education: General Education and Training, Further Education and Training, and Higher Education and Training.
School life spans 13 years or grades, from grade 0, otherwise known as grade R or "reception year", through to grade 12 or "matric" - the year of matriculation. General Education and Training runs from grade 0 to grade 9. Under the South African Schools Act of 1996, education is compulsory for all South Africans from age 7 (grade 1) to age 15, or the completion of grade 9. General Education and Training also includes Adult Basic Education and Training.
If she left school as 17 I put it 1995 a year before the School Act when into effect.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
What's Camilla's educational background and work record? What is Marie-Chantal's educational background and work record? I, really don't care, but they are, also, public figures and in the long run, no one cares. Grace didn't have a college degree, either. She was an actress. To some not a reputable occupation. Some questioned at the time she married Ranier, but that was their business.
We are not only talking about educational background.

Not a reputable occupation? probably 40 years ago, I don´t think we have those prejudices in the 21 century. Grace made several movies and was a respectable actress when she reached 26. I am not comparing, those who criticize comparison are the ones who bring it to the board.

This woman CW is 32, and has done nothing at all in her life, but vegetate around a prince for the last 4 years, and I would say much more. THAT, and nothing else, is so disturbing about her. I am absolutely sure she has knows she will be the princess of Monaco for long. And the only thing she has done was improving her image and quitting the only thing she does barely good, swimming.

I am waiting for her speeches in French, appearing at some charities, hand in an award, and not much more, because I would never call a job what is waiting for her. She will have to work hard to not be a decorative accessory, like many princesses are.

Oh, and we are forgetting that she´s marrying a man who doubles her age, and for me, that is not a detail. Only rich, famous men marry young women.
I hope I put it in an elegant way.

Tags
charlene, princess charlene