The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Commoner

I think with her new found status, Charlene will attempt to use her celebrity for good. Africa may be one of her main priorities regarding charitable work, Her heritage gives her a unique view few royals have.

I just noticed how much she looks like Charlize Theron.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I wasn't going to type that, just in case... :-)

She's already shown her commitment to African sport through the Midmare event.

I wonder whether there are any other occasions where she has made a point of doing something good for African sport?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Commoner

People need to realize that you can't use African to describe her heritage.
Even though Benoni is a craphole, she still had a better life than 90% of other Africans as a white South African. Her life experiences are completely different than most Africans.

As a South African she also grew up watching American soaps and television, eating hamburgers and KFC. Her family probably had a maid and gardener.

Somebody like Chelsea Davy, white with a lot of money, they live in a complete bubble. They might be born on the African continent but their lives are nothing like the Africans who don't have the resources they have.

The nationality law of SA states that a person holding dual citizenship has to use their South African passport to enter and leave the country. South Africans need visas to travel making the South African passport completely useless. Much easier for her to stick to her new nationality.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the interesting information, SandwichSheik.

So, do you think there should not be a thread named "Charlene and her African heritage" ?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Well Africa is made up of many different ethnicities, and many different socio economic groups, from the north to the south of Africa. I see no reason why a white person born and raised in southern Africa should not consider themselves or be referred to as African. Being white in South Africa may have its advantages but they are still Africans and citizens of South Africa and presumably proud of their nation. Being a white South African does not mean they are unaware of the many problems facing the continent or RSA, as the recent attack on Charlene's father would prove.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Well Africa is made up of many different ethnicities, and many different socio economic groups, from the north to the south of Africa. I see no reason why a white person born and raised in southern Africa should not consider themselves or be referred to as African. Being white in South Africa may have its advantages but they are still Africans and citizens of South Africa and presumably proud of their nation. Being a white South African does not mean they are unaware of the many problems facing the continent or RSA, as the recent attack on Charlene's father would prove.
You are right on the mark. She is African, as her birth shows. Those who want to, narrowly, define people, because of race have no concept of place of birth. I am an American and am white, but Americans come in all colors, we are all the same.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Countess, I don't find "race" a useful indicator about human beings.

The same goes for "census" - although the recent British Census allowed many different descriptions....

I'm a Western European, and multilingual. For me, language is far, far more interesting than skin colour.

So where does this leave Charlene and other sports personalities?
Are they able to transcend man-made boundaries easier than people who don't get around much?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Well I consider myself as European. British born but of Russian, German, Scots and English ancestry. Educated in England, Switzerland, France and USA. My career has me dividing my time between the UK and Canada with business trips to many other nations on a frequent basis. This, I like to think, gives me a broad view of the world and other people. Oddly enough though I sometimes feel more British/European when I am away than I necessarily feel when I am at home but that might just be because others point out that I am not Canadian or American. I do feel that people can transcend national boundaries and that the more you see of the world the less parochial your views become as you realize that "they" are just like "you".
Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, that means that people like you and I can be comfortable in many places and situations - just like PA and CW. The only difference is that these two (and the rest of the Grimaldi) probably have more opportunities for travel and the enjoyment of culture.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

she born in africa but she is blond blue eyes, is she dutch decent? it was a big dutch inmigration thre i belive?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandwichSheik View Post
People need to realize that you can't use African to describe her heritage.
Even though Benoni is a craphole, she still had a better life than 90% of other Africans as a white South African. Her life experiences are completely different than most Africans.

As a South African she also grew up watching American soaps and television, eating hamburgers and KFC. Her family probably had a maid and gardener.

Somebody like Chelsea Davy, white with a lot of money, they live in a complete bubble. They might be born on the African continent but their lives are nothing like the Africans who don't have the resources they have.

The nationality law of SA states that a person holding dual citizenship has to use their South African passport to enter and leave the country. South Africans need visas to travel making the South African passport completely useless. Much easier for her to stick to her new nationality.

I find your post ignorant in regards to nationality, as Charlene is a native of South Africa, born & raised. Her great-grandfather emigrated there from Germany long before she was born.

Do some reseach and you shall see that this is true, and that she has every right to call herself a South African:

nationality - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education

Translation result for http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlene_Wittstock

Now regards "ethnicity", that's another matter all together, as South Africa is made up of 11 different official languages, and is ethnically diverse, with the first Europeans arriving in 1487: South Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the other stuff, lol, there are poor, rich, middle-class in 99% of the countries out there, that's a fact of life, South Africa is not unique in this regard.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Ashelen - Charlene's family and forebears are from the north of what is now Germany. I don't think they have a connection with the Netherlands.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:21 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Thanks for the interesting information, SandwichSheik.

So, do you think there should not be a thread named "Charlene and her African heritage" ?
I don't have any issue with the thread title at all but I do think people need to realize that just because she was born on the African continent, it doesn't give her the same outlook and experiences as most Africans.

Her heritage is South African, being white her heritage is much different even than her fellow black South Africans. Her upbringing and life experiences are much different than a black South African woman of a similar age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
I find your post ignorant in regards to nationality, as Charlene is a native of South Africa, born & raised. Her great-grandfather emigrated there from Germany long before she was born.

Do some reseach and you shall see that this is true, and that she has every right to call herself a South African:

nationality - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education

Translation result for http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlene_Wittstock

Now regards "ethnicity", that's another matter all together, as South Africa is made up of 11 different official languages, and is ethnically diverse, with the first Europeans arriving in 1487: South Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the other stuff, lol, there are poor, rich, middle-class in 99% of the countries out there, that's a fact of life, South Africa is not unique in this regard.
I am the same age as Charlene was born in South Africa and left South Africa a couple of years before she did. I think I'm well qualified to comment on her heritage and African connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
You are right on the mark. She is African, as her birth shows. Those who want to, narrowly, define people, because of race have no concept of place of birth. I am an American and am white, but Americans come in all colors, we are all the same.
Go up to a Mexican immigrant or a black or native American and tell them that you are just like them and see how well it goes over.

I'm an American citizen now and my life is not at all comparable to yours. A piece of paper does not a person make.

Just to clear up, I'm not trying to say that Charlene isn't South African or has an African Heritage. I'm merely trying to give insight on how different South Africans have different influences and life experiences. I wouldn't dare compare my life to a black South African my age because white South Africans like Charlene and I grew up in very different circumstances.

As far as being German or Dutch, my parents are from Dutch and German descent. I don't know any white SA's who think of themselves as European though. You're either English(how my mother was raised) or Afrikaans(my father).

I wonder what language Charlene was raised in? Her accent to me is very heavy South African which is funny seeing as how long she's been outside of South Africa. Most SA's I've come across in Europe and the US who've been out of the country as long as she's been, their accents have definately changed. The fact that Charlene's accent is still so heavy and that she's not fluent or even comfortable in speaking French means she's either got a terrible ear for languages or she's not very bright. Pity all around.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Serene Highness

SandwichSheik. I think you are confusing citizenship with race and class level. If she is a citizen of South Africa, she is S. African. Every country has different races and material class levels. Oprah Winfrey is a minority, no more or less a citizen than anyone else and definitely considered upper class now; despite her humble beginnings.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:24 PM
Heir Apparent

In the US...anyone with a lot of money is considered "upper class"...which is ridiculous imo, but hey...I don't decide these things!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
SandwichSheik. I think you are confusing citizenship with race and class level. If she is a citizen of South Africa, she is S. African. Every country has different races and material class levels. Oprah Winfrey is a minority, no more or less a citizen than anyone else and definitely considered upper class now; despite her humble beginnings.
Not at all. I'm not denying that she's South African of course she is. I'm merely trying to point out that people are painting in awefully broad strokes by refering to her African heritage. Being born on the continent doesn't give you some unique insight into somebody from Nigeria if you're South African especially if you're a white South African. The only thing you have in common is being born on the same continent. There's no shared sensibility.

Charlene is South African for sure but she also grew up during the apartheid years in an all white neighborhood attending an all white school when blacks were second class citizens. That right there gives her a different perspective on life than the majority of South Africans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
In the US...anyone with a lot of money is considered "upper class"...which is ridiculous imo, but hey...I don't decide these things!
lol true especially when you consider how some make their millions by releasing their sextapes and reality tv ala the Kardashians. No class there.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandwichSheik View Post
Not at all. I'm not denying that she's South African of course she is. I'm merely trying to point out that people are painting in awefully broad strokes by refering to her African heritage. Being born on the continent doesn't give you some unique insight into somebody from Nigeria if you're South African especially if you're a white South African. The only thing you have in common is being born on the same continent. There's no shared sensibility.

Charlene is South African for sure but she also grew up during the apartheid years in an all white neighborhood attending an all white school when blacks were second class citizens. That right there gives her a different perspective on life than the majority of South Africans.
This post makes EXCELLENT sense, and I agree completely.

Anyone who believes the experiences of a White South African-particularly one who lived under apartheid- are in any way similar to someone who is from Nigeria or Ivory Coast has either never visited the place(African Continent) or doesn't read much, IMO...it is simply beyond absurd.

Point well taken about those awful Kardashians. YIKES.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:55 PM
Serene Highness

SS. Your 2nd paragraph describes the USA in the South from pre-revolution thru the 1960s. I'm white and my family has lived here since the 1700s. Are you saying I can't claim to have an American heritage. We all have different experiences, but it's still our American heritage; good or bad.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is all nonsense. If you didn't suffer, you can't be that. She is South African. Her opinions and outlook on her life may be very different that a black South African, but they are both South African. Yes, Americans of different bckground have different perceptions of ife. Try asking German Jews if they were German's when the Nazi's took over and denied their citzenship, murdered them and said they weren't Germans.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:13 PM
Heir Apparent

COUNTESS...that is true to a point. Asian Americans, Black Americans, Mexican Americans and White Americans are all Americans with a common history to share as Americans.

But what we have individually absorbed and been subject to as part of the American Experience is not often the same at all.

I don't know why this is difficult for some to accept, but it doesn't make it any less true.

Tags
charlene, princess charlene