Tiaras and Jewels for Prince Harry's Future Wife

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the BRF probably do keep an eye out for any interesting pieces of jewellery, especially ones with a royal provenance, that come up for auction. That said, I think they have to tread very carefully, and don't want to be seen to be big buyers of jewellery for fear of attracting negative publicity. In addition, it has been widely been commented that the Queen does think they have enough jewellery and is not keen to add substantially to the royal jewel collection. This is quite unlike her grandmother who not only expanded the collection considerably, but then was also responsible for shrinking it subsequently, as she generously gave away substantial jewels to all her children and grand children.

I also think that the auctioneers themeselves must contact the palace in advance of items being advertised, with a view to trying to secure a private sale ahead of an auction.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's entirely up to The Queen as to whether pieces given to members of the royal family are simply a loan, for their lifetime use or a gift to be passed on.

Diana received two very royal pieces from The Queen as wedding gifts, the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara and the Cambridge emerald choker, both of which were given to The Queen by her grandmother, Queen Mary. Diana also received a large diamond and pearl choker, a huge Sri Lankan sapphire and diamond brooch, Prince of Wales feathers pendant and diamond earrings from The Queen Mother as wedding gifts. All of these jewels were given to Diana with no thought of a divorce obviously and with the expectation that she eventually would become Queen.

As part of her divorce agreement, Diana was permitted to keep all of the jewels she received from The Queen and The Queen Mother for her lifetime, with the condition they could never be lent or sold. In the event of her death, the agreement stated these jewels would be given to William for his wife as a future Princess of Wales. Again, I'm sure no one imagined Diana would die a year later, so all of her jewels were returned to The Queen.

Her jewels received from foreign heads of state and other official gifts were hers to keep as she saw fit. Those jewels are presumbly being kept secure for William and Harry to decide how to distribute to their future wives.

I really wish people would stop hating on Lord Linley. The Poltimore tiara was not of historic family interest. Princess Margaret was the only royal lady to wear the tiara, and if you ask me she wasn't exactly the model royal, herself. And, having seen the Poltimore tiara in person, I can tell you that the thing is ridiculously oversized. The royal ladies already have their hands full with the over-the-top Boucheron thing and the gigantic Durbar tiara.

It would of course be touching (and some what appropriate) to see the jewels used by Diana bestowed upon the wives of her children. However, I think it is also very likely that we will see pieces coming out of the woodwork that have not seen the light of day (or the camera) for half a century at least. There are, as someone already pointed out, several fabulous Romanov-era bandeaux in hiding somewhere, and I think these are likely to be the kinds of tiaras that will make an appearance sooner than later. Smaller tiaras are in fashion (largely because big hair isn't--exception being Camilla), and simpler designs go better with simpler trends in 21st century fashion.

Last edited:
Likely tiaras for the wives of Princes William and Harry

As the "noise" about a potential engagement between William and Kate reaches new highs, it would be interesting to hear what you all thought were contenders for potential tiaras for William anf Harry's wives.

I think the contenders for William's wife include:

1) The fringe taira that HM wore at her own wedding: Significant, Historically "material", versatile, and HM is unlikely to want to use it much (Was its outing in T&T last year a swan song appearance?), not linked to Diana
2) The Rundell
3) The Honeysuckle
4) Something unknown or not seen for a while being "assembled" (quite like Sophie's wedding tiara was)

In the case of Harry's wife, I think the contenders could include:

1) The Strathmore Rose: Has a family link, is light and delicate, but does not have material royal provenance
2) Something unknown or not seen for a while being "assembled"
3) Something new.

Last edited:
In the case of William's wife I would love to see the Rundell in use along with the necklace, earings & brooch that were given to Princess Alexandra of Denmark when she married the Prince of Wales. If not that then perhaps the Teck Crescent Tiara with a modern refit (I recall reading that it has a very broad circumference).

For Harry's wife I think HM may well acquire something new to the family. If not then perhaps the Scroll tiara that was last worn by Princess Anne.

Interesting. Did the Teck Crescent tiara not go to Margaret?
Also, I think the Scroll tiara has been given to Anne, so is unlikely to come back into the main royal line now.

Butn we don't know if the Princesses owned/own the tiara or they where given them to use. There is also the question if the persian turqiose Parure was inherited by Lord Linley orLadySarah or ifit went back to the Crown.
Anice tiara for Kate would also be the Ladys of Enlgand tiara (don't know if this is the correct) name which was a Wedding gift to Queen Mary who wore it a few times for official pics as Duchess of York/Princess of Wales.

2) The Rundell
3) The Honeysuckle

The Strathmore Rose: Has a family link, is light and delicate, but does not have material royal provenance
Do you have pics of these three tiaras?:flowers:

Thanks! I always like the 3rd tiara:flowers:(now I know the name)

I really like the HoneySuckle Tiara but honestly they are all nice. :flowers:

Discussion of tiaras for Prince William's fiancée can be found here.

What is the history of this honeysuckle tiara? It looks quite different to the honeysuckle tiara of Queen Mary which now is with the Gloucesters. I wasn't aware that there is a 2nd honeysuckle tiara in the BRF.

It's possible I have got the wrong tiara, according to this

royal Exhibitions - The Queens Tiaras

Queen Mary’s diamond tiara is decorated with a graduated frieze of styled honeysuckle.
The central ornament is made to be detachable. It was made before or during Febuary 1914. HRH Princess Alice – Duchess of Gloucester was given the tiara by Queen Mary

I like the honeysuckle tiara. Too bad is not available for William and Harry.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the Girls of Gt. Britain and Ireland tiara on Kate for the wedding. It's very pretty. Almost similar to the Fife tiara.

Interesting. Did the Teck Crescent tiara not go to Margaret?
Also, I think the Scroll tiara has been given to Anne, so is unlikely to come back into the main royal line now.

The Teck tiara hasn't been worn since the Queen Mum wore it in the 1940's (in Canada I think).
The Scroll was only loaned to Princess Anne, as it was to Princess Margaret when she was young. Again, it hasn't been seen since the early 1970's.

It will be interesting to see if the Scroll tiara is made available to Catherine.

I hope that Harry's future wife gets some of Diana's pieces. They shouldn't all go to William's future wife.

I think Catherine should have the Rundell tiara and Harry's wife the Strathmore.

I agree that the Rundell would be both historical and spectacular for KAte.

What tiara did Princess Margaret wear on her wedding day? I saw a few pictures of it once and I remember it was really beautiful.

^ Shame that it's not in the family anymore. I think it'd be a beautiful on Kate.

I think Harry's wife should have the Strathmore and first wear it at their wedding. But something tells me she will receive a new one, like Fergie.

But what about the Manchester tiara?

Last edited:
I would hope Harry's wife gets something bigger than the strathmore tiara. The queen has plenty of jewels to pass down.

I think Harry's wife should have the Strathmore and first wear it at their wedding. But something tells me she will receive a new one, like Fergie.

But what about the Manchester tiara?
The Manchester Tiara is a beauty! But it is displayed in the Victoria & Albert Museum, and not owned by the BRF. Imo it is completely unlikely that they will purchase a tiara from a museum.

I know that there has been some speculation about the future of the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara, and while I think it should be retired.....What do you guys think about it winding-up with Prince Harry's wife?

I know that there has been some speculation about the future of the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara, and while I think it should be retired.....What do you guys think about it winding-up with Prince Harry's wife?
Interesting idea. But personally I suspect that Harry's future wife will go the same way as Sarah and Sophie and not receive an important royal heirloom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom