The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-20-2004, 10:16 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by A.C.C.@Feb 16th, 2004 - 12:45 pm
I think the Spencer Tiara worn by Diana should be a wedding gift to William's wife, but they could still be able to borrow it from her. They won't need a tiara but for select events like a wedding, if they are invited to a ball or state event, or a coronation (of either Charles or William), because all peers and peeresses are invited.

Anyway, it would be a nice gesture to give William's wife that Spencer Tiara (if they have another tiara for themselves).
Oh? As if they Royal Family doesn't have a plethora of tiaras to choose from...

Old 06-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles+Jun 20th, 2004 - 9:16 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Charles &#064; Jun 20th, 2004 - 9:16 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-A.C.C.@Feb 16th, 2004 - 12:45 pm
I think the Spencer Tiara worn by Diana should be a wedding gift to William&#39;s wife, but they could still be able to borrow it from her.* They won&#39;t need a tiara but for select events like a wedding, if they are invited to a ball or state event, or a coronation (of either Charles or William), because all peers and peeresses are invited.

Anyway, it would be a nice gesture to give William&#39;s wife that Spencer Tiara (if they have another tiara for themselves).
[/b][/quote]

That tiara belongs to the Spencer family and there it should be&#33;&#33; It has been worn by several Spencer family brides&#33;

I don&#39;t think it would be wise for William&#39;s wife to wear it because there are enough tiaras in the royal collection. Wear the lover&#39;s knot that his Mum wore but give her another one from the royal collection too. . .

Old 06-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Gentry

That&#39;s what I said in my post.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:54 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by tiaraprin@Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:12 pm
Whatever happened to the Moon and Star Tiara that belonged to Princess Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck??
Unless Queen Mary had it taken apart and made into something else the Teck Rose & Crescent Tiara is still in the royal vaults.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Royal Highness

Hey if I were the Queen I would keep most and the best jewels for myself....I luuuuvvv tiaras...and rubies...oh my!
Old 12-13-2004, 05:10 PM
Nobility

The Spencer tiara was "returned" to Earl Spencer before Diana died. Since her marraige she had been loaned the tiara indefinatley as she was the only member of her family who used it on a reguar basis. It was kept in a safe at Kensington Palace with the rest of her jewels but was returned to Althorp about a year before Diana died. According to Paul Burrell Earl Spencer withdrew permission for her to wear it after the two of them had a furious argument and she had to give it back.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Administrator

The Teck Tiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
Unless Queen Mary had it taken apart and made into something else the Teck Rose & Crescent Tiara is still in the royal vaults.
This photograph appeared in Geoffrey Munn's fabulous book "Tiaras, a History of Splendour" (highly recommended!) published 2001. It had the credit "By Gracious Permission of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother". So I assume the tiara has now been returned to the vaults beneath Buckingham Palace.

This tiara was the favourite of Princess Mary Adelaide (Queen Mary's mother).
Its provenance is unknown, although it is likely it was a wedding present from one of her Royal cousins in 1866 when she married Prince Francis of Teck.

The crescents are detachable "dress ornaments".

Munn writes "This jewel, like so many tiaras made in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, has a wide circumference to accommodate the hair-pieces fashionable at the time. Queen Elizabeth was the first Queen Consort to rely only on her own hair, and she evidently had trouble filling the frame of this particulae jewel. Perhaps for this very practical reason it was seldom worn by Her Majesty."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Duchess of Teck Tiara.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	103619  
Old 03-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Munn writes "This jewel, like so many tiaras made in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, has a wide circumference to accommodate the hair-pieces fashionable at the time. Queen Elizabeth was the first Queen Consort to rely only on her own hair, and she evidently had trouble filling the frame of this particulae jewel. Perhaps for this very practical reason it was seldom worn by Her Majesty.".
Perhaps it will be shortened and be turned into a complete circlet?
Old 03-10-2005, 11:50 PM
Royal Highness

None of us know what is in the vaults of Buckingham Palace. I would love to see an Amethyst Tiara--Purple is my favorite color. I know Queen Alexandra wore amethysts a great deal after her elder son died in 1892 because amethysts were a sign of semi-mourning after basic black jet jewelry. Perhaps there is an Amethyst Tiara down there waiting to come back into the light??
Old 03-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Didn't the Queen Mother sell some amethyst jewellery a few years back? Did that include a tiara, or are you thinking of one that you know is still in the possession of the royal family?
Old 03-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Serene Highness

Amethysts

This is the Parure that Queen Mary gave to the Queen Mother who later sold it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amethyst 1.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	109608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amethyst 2.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	109609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amethyst 3.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	109610  
Old 03-14-2005, 01:50 AM
Royal Highness

I had forgotten about that tiara that the Queen Mum sold. I also know HM the Queen has a suite of amethysts that belonged to Queen Victoria's mother, the Duchess of Kent.

I still think there has to be more amethysts down there. Where did Diana get her suite of amethysts composed of choker, earrings, and bracelet? I have always wanted to know where this came from. Was it a wedding gift?? Was it in the Buckinham Palace vaults?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:53 AM
Royal Highness

Do you think Her Majesty would lend the King George III Fringe Tiara that she and Princess Anne wore at their weddings to William's future wife to wear?
Old 03-14-2005, 02:08 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Do you think Her Majesty would lend the King George III Fringe Tiara that she and Princess Anne wore at their weddings to William's future wife to wear?
tiaraprin
that Tiara is part of the jewellery that Queen Victoria designated to be worn by all future Queens. The only other people to have worn the tiara were the present Queen (as Princess Elizabeth) on her wedding day and the Princess Royal on her 1st wedding day. I therefore think it unlikely that if William marries while his grandmother & Prince Charles are still alive that his wife will be permitted to wear this tiara. It is more likely that she will be given another tiara. I even doubt that she would be given the Lovers Knot as the Queen will see the dangers the young woman will face in being compared to Diana without her having a piece that became identified with Diana. I seriously doubt that this piece will be seen for many years.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:22 AM
Nobility

wow. the British Royal Family has some really beautiful tiaras. wouldn't mind just having one of the many in that collection. =)
Old 03-14-2005, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Amethysts or Sapphires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I [i
Where did Diana get her suite of amethysts composed of choker, earrings, and bracelet? I have always wanted to know where this came from[/i]. Was it a wedding gift?? Was it in the Buckinham Palace vaults?
Tiaraprin

I think you might be referring to the spectacular diamond and sapphire wedding gift from the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia. This comprised a narrow diamond necklace from which hung a deep blue Burmese sapphire surrounded by a sunburst of diamonds; sapphire earrings, a ring, bracelet, and a watch with seven sapphire clusters. (The watch face was sapphire, so it would have looked like a bracelet!)

Diana initially wore these as as a sort of parure, but later had Garrards break up the ring and watch to make another pair of earrings and a necklace (which she mounted on velvet to make the choker). The reason was that she had already received two diamond watches as wedding presents, and the diamond and sapphire ring was similar to her engagement ring.

She also received a huge sapphire surrounded by diamonds, which was a gift from the Queen Mother.

(This info from "The Royal Jewels" by Suzy Menkes.)

As to what is in the vaults ... those who know certainly aren't telling!
However, the terms "treasure trove" and "Aladdin's cave" are probably accurate descriptions.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

It's possible that the bride of Prince William would be able to wear the fringe tiara, since she would be a future queen, and Elizabeth was wearing it before she became queen. On the other hand, the Queen might prefer to give her a tiara that she can use in the longer term, like she did with the lovers' knot one to Diana.

If William marries an aristocrat who has a family tiara, she may wear that for her wedding, like Diana did. I assume that Diana wore the Spencer tiara rather than the lovers' knot one after she was married as some sort of message that she wasn't happy with the royal family; with luck, that won't be the case for William's wife.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
It's possible that the bride of Prince William would be able to wear the fringe tiara, since she would be a future queen, and Elizabeth was wearing it before she became queen. On the other hand, the Queen might prefer to give her a tiara that she can use in the longer term, like she did with the lovers' knot one to Diana.

If William marries an aristocrat who has a family tiara, she may wear that for her wedding, like Diana did. I assume that Diana wore the Spencer tiara rather than the lovers' knot one after she was married as some sort of message that she wasn't happy with the royal family; with luck, that won't be the case for William's wife.
Yes Elspeth but Elizabeth was Heiress Presumptive not a prospective consort.
I think it is wrong to assume that Diana wore her family tiara merely to be spiteful. It has been said many times that the Lovers Knot is very heavy and that the Spencer provided her with a lighter alternative. Also, if she were not wearing a white gown and/or pearls then the Lovers Knot did not really "go" and the diamond Spencer Tiara was more appropriate. Having said that, I always thought it a shame that Diana didn't have the use of a smaller royal piece like the Strathmore Rose or the Diamond Scroll.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

I wasn't trying to say that I thought she wore the Spencer tiara out of spite - just because the other tiara was a royal family heirloom and she didn't ever seem to feel that she really belonged to that family. I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of other tiaras coming her way from the Queen during her marriage was a result of her unhappiness with the family and the Queen's concern about where that might lead. I mean, to have just one tiara and just the Family Order after all those years of marriage is a bit unusual.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:48 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
tiaraprin
that Tiara is part of the jewellery that Queen Victoria designated to be worn by all future Queens. The only other people to have worn the tiara were the present Queen (as Princess Elizabeth) on her wedding day and the Princess Royal on her 1st wedding day. I therefore think it unlikely that if William marries while his grandmother & Prince Charles are still alive that his wife will be permitted to wear this tiara. It is more likely that she will be given another tiara. I even doubt that she would be given the Lovers Knot as the Queen will see the dangers the young woman will face in being compared to Diana without her having a piece that became identified with Diana. I seriously doubt that this piece will be seen for many years.

I thought perhaps the George III might be worn by William's future wife on the wedding day if Her Majesty really liked the young lady, but most probably another tiara will be brushed off and brought out.

I agree that the future wife of William (or Harry for that matter) should not wear the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara on the wedding day or soon after. I think more time should pass before that tiara should be worn by William's or Harry's wife. Perhaps if William has a daughter, she will wear it.

When it comes to Diana's jewels, either personal or from the crown collection, they should be held for the wives of William and Harry to wear if it seems appropriate to do so at a later time.

Tags
jewellery, kate middleton, prince harry, prince william, tiaras, wife, william and harry