The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-24-2008, 04:32 AM
Heir Apparent

I think the BRF probably do keep an eye out for any interesting pieces of jewellery, especially ones with a royal provenance, that come up for auction. That said, I think they have to tread very carefully, and don't want to be seen to be big buyers of jewellery for fear of attracting negative publicity. In addition, it has been widely been commented that the Queen does think they have enough jewellery and is not keen to add substantially to the royal jewel collection. This is quite unlike her grandmother who not only expanded the collection considerably, but then was also responsible for shrinking it subsequently, as she generously gave away substantial jewels to all her children and grand children.

I also think that the auctioneers themeselves must contact the palace in advance of items being advertised, with a view to trying to secure a private sale ahead of an auction.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's entirely up to The Queen as to whether pieces given to members of the royal family are simply a loan, for their lifetime use or a gift to be passed on.

Diana received two very royal pieces from The Queen as wedding gifts, the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara and the Cambridge emerald choker, both of which were given to The Queen by her grandmother, Queen Mary. Diana also received a large diamond and pearl choker, a huge Sri Lankan sapphire and diamond brooch, Prince of Wales feathers pendant and diamond earrings from The Queen Mother as wedding gifts. All of these jewels were given to Diana with no thought of a divorce obviously and with the expectation that she eventually would become Queen.

As part of her divorce agreement, Diana was permitted to keep all of the jewels she received from The Queen and The Queen Mother for her lifetime, with the condition they could never be lent or sold. In the event of her death, the agreement stated these jewels would be given to William for his wife as a future Princess of Wales. Again, I'm sure no one imagined Diana would die a year later, so all of her jewels were returned to The Queen.

Her jewels received from foreign heads of state and other official gifts were hers to keep as she saw fit. Those jewels are presumbly being kept secure for William and Harry to decide how to distribute to their future wives.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Courtier

I really wish people would stop hating on Lord Linley. The Poltimore tiara was not of historic family interest. Princess Margaret was the only royal lady to wear the tiara, and if you ask me she wasn't exactly the model royal, herself. And, having seen the Poltimore tiara in person, I can tell you that the thing is ridiculously oversized. The royal ladies already have their hands full with the over-the-top Boucheron thing and the gigantic Durbar tiara.

It would of course be touching (and some what appropriate) to see the jewels used by Diana bestowed upon the wives of her children. However, I think it is also very likely that we will see pieces coming out of the woodwork that have not seen the light of day (or the camera) for half a century at least. There are, as someone already pointed out, several fabulous Romanov-era bandeaux in hiding somewhere, and I think these are likely to be the kinds of tiaras that will make an appearance sooner than later. Smaller tiaras are in fashion (largely because big hair isn't--exception being Camilla), and simpler designs go better with simpler trends in 21st century fashion.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Likely tiaras for the wives of Princes William and Harry

As the "noise" about a potential engagement between William and Kate reaches new highs, it would be interesting to hear what you all thought were contenders for potential tiaras for William anf Harry's wives.

I think the contenders for William's wife include:

1) The fringe taira that HM wore at her own wedding: Significant, Historically "material", versatile, and HM is unlikely to want to use it much (Was its outing in T&T last year a swan song appearance?), not linked to Diana
2) The Rundell
3) The Honeysuckle
4) Something unknown or not seen for a while being "assembled" (quite like Sophie's wedding tiara was)

In the case of Harry's wife, I think the contenders could include:

1) The Strathmore Rose: Has a family link, is light and delicate, but does not have material royal provenance
2) Something unknown or not seen for a while being "assembled"
3) Something new.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:29 AM
Serene Highness

In the case of William's wife I would love to see the Rundell in use along with the necklace, earings & brooch that were given to Princess Alexandra of Denmark when she married the Prince of Wales. If not that then perhaps the Teck Crescent Tiara with a modern refit (I recall reading that it has a very broad circumference).

For Harry's wife I think HM may well acquire something new to the family. If not then perhaps the Scroll tiara that was last worn by Princess Anne.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Interesting. Did the Teck Crescent tiara not go to Margaret?
Also, I think the Scroll tiara has been given to Anne, so is unlikely to come back into the main royal line now.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Butn we don't know if the Princesses owned/own the tiara or they where given them to use. There is also the question if the persian turqiose Parure was inherited by Lord Linley orLadySarah or ifit went back to the Crown.
Anice tiara for Kate would also be the Ladys of Enlgand tiara (don't know if this is the correct) name which was a Wedding gift to Queen Mary who wore it a few times for official pics as Duchess of York/Princess of Wales.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 11-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Majesty
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
2) The Rundell
3) The Honeysuckle

The Strathmore Rose: Has a family link, is light and delicate, but does not have material royal provenance
Do you have pics of these three tiaras?
Old 11-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by salma View Post
Do you have pics of these three tiaras?
Rundell Tiara

HoneySuckle

Strathmore Rose
Old 11-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Majesty
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – Jordan

Thanks! I always like the 3rd tiara(now I know the name)
Old 11-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Aristocracy

I really like the HoneySuckle Tiara but honestly they are all nice.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Discussion of tiaras for Prince William's fiancée can be found here.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
What is the history of this honeysuckle tiara? It looks quite different to the honeysuckle tiara of Queen Mary which now is with the Gloucesters. I wasn't aware that there is a 2nd honeysuckle tiara in the BRF.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
What is the history of this honeysuckle tiara? It looks quite different to the honeysuckle tiara of Queen Mary which now is with the Gloucesters. I wasn't aware that there is a 2nd honeysuckle tiara in the BRF.
It's possible I have got the wrong tiara, according to this

royal Exhibitions - The Queens Tiaras

Quote:
Queen Mary’s diamond tiara is decorated with a graduated frieze of styled honeysuckle.
The central ornament is made to be detachable. It was made before or during Febuary 1914. HRH Princess Alice – Duchess of Gloucester was given the tiara by Queen Mary
Old 11-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It's possible I have got the wrong tiara, according to this

royal Exhibitions - The Queens Tiaras
Thank you for the link. It's not bad for a replica, but I think that the original looks much more elegant.
Anyway, since the original tiara is now owned by the Goucesters and not available for William and Harry's wifes.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:12 AM
Gentry

I like the honeysuckle tiara. Too bad is not available for William and Harry.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'd like to see the Girls of Gt. Britain and Ireland tiara on Kate for the wedding. It's very pretty. Almost similar to the Fife tiara.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Interesting. Did the Teck Crescent tiara not go to Margaret?
Also, I think the Scroll tiara has been given to Anne, so is unlikely to come back into the main royal line now.
The Teck tiara hasn't been worn since the Queen Mum wore it in the 1940's (in Canada I think).
The Scroll was only loaned to Princess Anne, as it was to Princess Margaret when she was young. Again, it hasn't been seen since the early 1970's.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Heir Apparent

It will be interesting to see if the Scroll tiara is made available to Catherine.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Courtier

I hope that Harry's future wife gets some of Diana's pieces. They shouldn't all go to William's future wife.

Tags
jewellery, kate middleton, prince harry, prince william, tiaras, wife, william and harry