The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Prince Friso and Princess Mabel and family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Royal Highness

I'm finding this rather emotional and feel very sad indeed if such preparations are being made. The idea that "where there is life there is hope" has always been a great comfort when thinking about Friso, but deep down I think one has to accept the reality of a situation without wearing rose-tinted spectacles.

My thoughts are with Friso, Mabel, their children, Beatrix and the rest of the family and, by no means least, those who are in a similar situation.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

I honestly didn't expect to hear this news, although it is good to hear that he is back in his home country. I will continue to wish he and his whole family well and strength to make the tough decisions ahead of them.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Is saying he "no longer requires hospital treatment" just a nice way of saying there is nothing more that can be done and he has been brought home to let his life run out its natural course?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Is saying he "no longer requires hospital treatment" just a nice way of saying there is nothing more that can be done and he has been brought home to let his life run out its natural course?
It's possible, yes. If so, it's a brave decision.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Heir Apparent

This could be the prelude to a major decision, but we'll just have to wait and see what the family decides.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
hmm, they also say that after the summer they decide whether his continued care will take place in the NL or the UK...they needn't have said anything of that kind...

I have a feeling that care of the highest level will continued to be given..
Old 07-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think that NGalitzine is correct. He is leaving this hospital, because there is nothing further than can be done for him. The highest level of care in his case, may be keeping him on a respirator, perhaps, ethically Wellington had wished to withdraw that support at this juncture, just a guess. Some facilities, have committees that decide whether extraordinary support be withdraw after consideration of time and condition. I don't envy their situation and the decisions they will have to make.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Serene Highness

Well, as his situation is "minimal conciousness" (where there occasionally is some sense of awareness and not related to reflexes) and not "vegetative state", imo the decision that is often hinted at here "to let him die" is not really an option....
I think the situation has reached a point where probably no improvement is to be expected, and the decision the family is facing now is whether treatment/care is being continued in the NL or the UK...

all imo as usual, but I honestly don't think that "letting die" or "let life run out" is what they are facing...
Old 07-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

What we still have no definitive answer on, is he breathing on his own. If he his you are correct. It he is not then choices can be made. And I think what they are referring to is care. They are past "Treatment", so to speak.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Courtier

There was no mention as to whether or not he was still on a respirator. If he is not, and is breathing on his own, he could continue as he is indefinitely. What a terrible way to "live" because it is not really living, but there really is no alternative except to let nature take its course.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, you are right. Very sad for all.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarNoe View Post
There was no mention as to whether or not he was still on a respirator. If he is not, and is breathing on his own, he could continue as he is indefinitely. What a terrible way to "live" because it is not really living, but there really is no alternative except to let nature take its course.
I agree. This is very sad for everyone concerned, I think.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I doubt they have taken the decision on whether to let nature follow its course or to continue to assist him. They say they will reach a decision on where care will be provided so I guess that is the course they seem to want to take. But indeed, the phrase on no longer needing care makes me wonder.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 07-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Royal Highness

It is a cryptic message, but it does not strike me as positive news, whether he is going to receive the very best long term care or they are allowing "nature to take its course."
Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't know what to hope except the impossible : that he would be back in consciousness?
I feel they have brought him back for him to die in his country. With his whole family. After all his wife and children live in London.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I've only read the news and will just have to wait and see what further information the palace may release over the next few days.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with you all, it is very cryptic. I think Wellington Hospital explained that there was no more "treatment" that could give and of course, he was taking up a bed that someone who might benefit from treatment, could use. That they brought him back home, is up for conjecture.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Gentry

Wish for the best for prince Friso and his family.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
They don't seem to be implying that in the press release, IMO. They're saying he's spending the summer in one place and they'll reconsider their options longer term. If they didn't actually think there was going to be a longer term then why add those details?

A specialized hospital like the one in London aims to actively get patients back to their best possible condition, whether that's through medication, rehab, physiotherapy, respiratory therapy, etc. I suspect Friso has plateaued and any further treatment will be 'maintenance', so to speak, of his current condition.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Courtier

This is a bit technical, but it's a good article about MCS or minimal consciousness state -

Minimally conscious state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tags
accident, health problems, prince friso, princess mabel, queen beatrix